Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

White's Ferry to Harpers Ferry through Virginia?

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-20, 07:42 AM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts

I'm trying to plan a ride from Point of Rocks to White's Ferry to Harpers Ferry then cross back to the C&O and head back down to Point of Rocks, but I don't know that area of VA and how safe the roads are.

From White's Ferry, I was going to connect to take the W&OD to its end at Purcerville, and then Komoot suggested this route. It has me taking 690 to 9 to 32 and then the 340. Are those roads OK or should I look for something else? I'm OK riding in the road, but are the cars in there OK with me?

Thanks,
Paul

Old 07-14-20, 04:29 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
It has been a couple of years since I did a loop in that area, but I think 671/Hillsboro Road is a better choice for getting from Purcellville to Harper's Ferry. The route here isn't exactly what I did - I started at Whites Ferry, went to Purcellville, came down Hillsboro Road from the end of the W&OD, and I just used the C&O Canal on the MD side.

I drive on 9 when going out to Appalachian Trail parking spots, I'm not a fan of biking on it for most sections. But, I'm not a fast climber!

Also, if you were trying to loop it, since the pedestrian bridge from Harper's Ferry across the river to the Towpath is still closed, you'd have to bike over the 340 bridge, or use the walkway. Your route stops at Harpers Ferry, so probably not an issue.
Old 07-14-20, 12:30 PM
pennpaul

Bikes: Diamondback Haanjo Trail, Fuji Team Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
It has been a couple of years since I did a loop in that area, but I think 671/Hillsboro Road is a better choice for getting from Purcellville to Harper's Ferry...
Thank you. This is approximately what Google maps suggested, too. Komoot is obviously trying to off me. I like to scout my rides by car if I can so I will have to convince the family to go for a nice scenic drive.

Also, if you were trying to loop it, since the pedestrian bridge from Harper's Ferry across the river to the Towpath is still closed, you'd have to bike over the 340 bridge, or use the walkway. Your route stops at Harpers Ferry, so probably not an issue.
The pedestrian bridge has now been fixed:

https://www.npr.org/local/305/2020/0...ment-last-year

Paul
Old 07-14-20, 12:34 PM
Marylander

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 70 Posts
The foot bridge is definitely open now. There were a lot of folks crossing there this past sunday.
Old 07-15-20, 11:50 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Great news about the foot bridge!
Old 10-02-20, 02:40 AM
Brargas

Bikes: Trek Marlin 5,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)