Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New or build one ?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New or build one ?

Old 07-15-20, 05:24 AM
pommieroger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
New or build one ?

Here is my dilemma, I have been cycling a few years on and off nothing serious, just doing odd 20-30k weather permitting. I am in the market for a new bike in the next month or so, $2000 ish Aus. Been looking at something like the giant defy advanced but a tad on the pricey side the canyon endurace alloy frame one or maybe a caad 12/13 the reason I mention caad 12/13 is I had a new caad 10 years ago and loved it I didnt feel it was to racey for the rides I did even the odd 100k ride wasn't bad. I am wanting to slowly increase my ride distances but nothing really over the 100k mark. I really would like discs brakes hydro not sure why? and running 28 tyres (some of the paths i ride now have debris from trees just small stuff but im feeling it on my 23 mm tyres) and 105 spec minimum. I like the fact that buying new comes with warranty on there frames but would that be voided if i was to get it repainted as id like a more retro paint theme ? I guess that they would

so do I buy a new bike or source a near new frame and build it up to my spec and colour.
Currently riding a columbus steel old 80's bike with 105 spec 10 speed.

Any ideas of bikes or ideas all welcome.
Old 07-15-20, 08:13 AM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by pommieroger
Here is my dilemma, I have been cycling a few years on and off nothing serious, just doing odd 20-30k weather permitting. I am in the market for a new bike in the next month or so, $2000 ish Aus. Been looking at something like the giant defy advanced but a tad on the pricey side the canyon endurace alloy frame one or maybe a caad 12/13 the reason I mention caad 12/13 is I had a new caad 10 years ago and loved it I didnt feel it was to racey for the rides I did even the odd 100k ride wasn't bad. I am wanting to slowly increase my ride distances but nothing really over the 100k mark. I really would like discs brakes hydro not sure why? and running 28 tyres (some of the paths i ride now have debris from trees just small stuff but im feeling it on my 23 mm tyres) and 105 spec minimum. I like the fact that buying new comes with warranty on there frames but would that be voided if i was to get it repainted as id like a more retro paint theme ? I guess that they would

so do I buy a new bike or source a near new frame and build it up to my spec and colour.

Building is fun. Custom paint is really fun. New bike is going to be cheaper overall rather than putting it all together yourself. And yes, repainting voids the warranty. Ever thought of custom TI from China?
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-15-20, 08:46 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts

So, I was in a very similar position as you. I was riding a 1999 steel bike with a 9 speed set-up. Loved the bike and was starting to ride a lot more - about 100-150 miles a week. But, the set up of the bike was a bit punishing. Like you was running 23 mm tires and the bike, while I loved, really suited me better when I was 150 lbs and not 200lbs.

My dilemma was similar, buy new or build something up myself. Decided to build and bought a carbon frame (disc) and an assortment of parts and tools. One thing I learned is that don't cheap out on the tools. For example, the bike had a press fit bottom bracket. I initially purchased a cheap tool for this and the cups just kept going in a little crooked. In the end, I got a better Park Tool and things went perfectly.

Disc brakes - especially Shimano stuff - are not difficult at all and there are tons of videos to watch to learn. The new 105 Disc groupset is fantastic and I would highly recommend this.

Honestly, one of the hardest things was the internal cable routing. If your frame comes with liners already installed, do not remove them! And never remove a cable without first installing a liner.

And finally, 28mm tires with modern carbon rims gives a very nice ride!
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-15-20, 09:09 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
"source a near new frame and build it up to my spec and colour."

I always do this and save a lot of money in the process, but am generally not too picky about the color. One can make almost any bike look cool. I also buy used parts in good condition.
Likes For sced:
Old 07-15-20, 01:14 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Flip a coin or decide if building it up will be the best overall experience and enjoyment. I wrench heavily and have the tools and have built from the ground up several bikes over the years. I have also bought several as well. If I build up it is usually in the late or off season so to speak. If you can find a bike with everything you like it will be cheaper to buy than to build obviously. The fun part of building one up, well, the fact you are building one up.
Likes For Germanrazor:
Old 07-15-20, 03:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10397 Post(s)
Liked 11,848 Times in 6,065 Posts
If you can find everything you want for a price you can afford, I'd go for that. Three of my 4 bikes were bought "off the rack" like that. I could not have put them together for anything close to what I paid for them. The 4th one, though, I did myself, and it has a special place in my heart. I chose every component, and apart from the BB and headset, I installed and adjusted them all myself.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 07-15-20 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For genejockey:
Old 07-15-20, 08:12 PM
pommieroger

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by upthywazzoo
Building is fun. Custom paint is really fun. New bike is going to be cheaper overall rather than putting it all together yourself. And yes, repainting voids the warranty. Ever thought of custom TI from China?
to be honest ive never even looked into the whole Ti frame scene i wouldnt know what there pros and cons are from a alloy or carbon bike i juts know the ones ive seen are quite pricey, but will give me something to youtube today
Old 07-15-20, 08:23 PM
pommieroger

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
So, I was in a very similar position as you. I was riding a 1999 steel bike with a 9 speed set-up. Loved the bike and was starting to ride a lot more - about 100-150 miles a week. But, the set up of the bike was a bit punishing. Like you was running 23 mm tires and the bike, while I loved, really suited me better when I was 150 lbs and not 200lbs.

My dilemma was similar, buy new or build something up myself. Decided to build and bought a carbon frame (disc) and an assortment of parts and tools. One thing I learned is that don't cheap out on the tools. For example, the bike had a press fit bottom bracket. I initially purchased a cheap tool for this and the cups just kept going in a little crooked. In the end, I got a better Park Tool and things went perfectly.

Disc brakes - especially Shimano stuff - are not difficult at all and there are tons of videos to watch to learn. The new 105 Disc groupset is fantastic and I would highly recommend this.

Honestly, one of the hardest things was the internal cable routing. If your frame comes with liners already installed, do not remove them! And never remove a cable without first installing a liner.

And finally, 28mm tires with modern carbon rims gives a very nice ride!

yeah I am hearing 28mm tyres are the way to go for overall comfort, i have a few bikes that I can get sell which will make my wife happy, so could even stretch the budget a little more. I like the idea of building it myself. and the bike shop isn't far if i get into trouble. The steel bike I am riding now has just recently had a birthday new paint/cables and nothing torqued just a ....yeah thats tight enough, but obviously if I go with carbon id better get the correct gear. ie torque wrench I should really get one anyway
Old 07-15-20, 08:26 PM
upthywazzoo 

Bikes: 1984 Trek 770

Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 37 Posts
to be honest ive never even looked into the whole Ti frame scene i wouldnt know what there pros and cons are from a alloy or carbon bike i juts know the ones ive seen are quite pricey, but will give me something to youtube today
I have ordered two frames from a company called Waltly. If you want I can tell you more about my experience over a PM but you could simply copy the Caad geometry you like and add other features as well, like drilling for di2, extra braze ons, interesting brake cable routing, you name it.
Likes For upthywazzoo:
Old 07-15-20, 08:32 PM
pommieroger

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
If you can find everything you want for a price you can afford, I'd go for that. Three of my 4 bikes were bought "off the rack" like that. I could not have put them together for anything close to what I paid for them. The 4th one, though, I did myself, and it has a special place in my heart. I chose every component, and apart from the BB and headset, I installed and adjusted them all myself.
Thats the other thing, as you say you couldn't put it together yourself for the price you paid that is the biggy for me. Maybe I need 2 bikes one bought and one built ..lol but thats just messing with my head again

Thanks for the words of wisdom people for now I will keep pedalling and thinking
Old 07-16-20, 10:10 AM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
yeah I am hearing 28mm tyres are the way to go for overall comfort, i have a few bikes that I can get sell which will make my wife happy, so could even stretch the budget a little more. I like the idea of building it myself. and the bike shop isn't far if i get into trouble. The steel bike I am riding now has just recently had a birthday new paint/cables and nothing torqued just a ....yeah thats tight enough, but obviously if I go with carbon id better get the correct gear. ie torque wrench I should really get one anyway
Honestly, I would do it again if I had the choice. Would have gone straight Shimano and not Campagnolo but that is another story!

The one thing that you should watch out for is that lots of bike shops are still swamped with people - the shop I ended up going to to deal with my defective caliper had a queue of over 250 bikes - 3 week wait! So going in there to fix even something small may take some time.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 07-16-20, 10:27 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Thats the other thing, as you say you couldn't put it together yourself for the price you paid that is the biggy for me. Maybe I need 2 bikes one bought and one built ..lol but thats just messing with my head again

Thanks for the words of wisdom people for now I will keep pedalling and thinking
Buy the complete bike that is closest to the spec you want. Then adapt and adjust and upgrade as you go. Parts will wear out, get damaged, need replacement, and that’s when you start to customize

yes, painting voids warranty, but if you buy a scratch bike to build up, you have no warranty anyway
Likes For Leinster:
Old 07-16-20, 08:51 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
"$2000 ish Aus" - does the Aus indicate you're in Australia? If yes, then then the answer must take into account the Aus factor - parts in oz can be way more expensive (and selection an be limited) and ebay is largely off limits due to high shipping costs.
Old 07-21-20, 12:15 AM
donaldglover

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i prefer buying one instead of building
Old 07-27-20, 12:38 AM
pommieroger

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluehills3149
"$2000 ish Aus" - does the Aus indicate you're in Australia? If yes, then then the answer must take into account the Aus factor - parts in oz can be way more expensive (and selection an be limited) and ebay is largely off limits due to high shipping costs.
Yeah I am in Oz and like you say parts are more expensive over here compared to the Uk . I have been here 15 years and still compare prices to the UK especially second hand bikes and cars but I guess its the whole supply and demand thing I am sure something here is cheaper ? havent found it yet tho ....