Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Are Cat 1 racers considered pros?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Are Cat 1 racers considered pros?

Old 07-21-20, 01:51 PM
  #76  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
the good old days were when somebody moderated this place!
gsteinb is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 01:57 PM
  #77  
Flatballer
No matches
 
Flatballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Eastern PA
Posts: 11,424

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1171 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 90 Posts
Man, this thing went off the rails early (like, halfway down the first page or so).

And then it took the rails, threw them in the ocean, and took a rocket ship to crazy town after taking a very long hiatus.

Last edited by Flatballer; 07-21-20 at 01:58 PM. Reason: me no spell so gud.
Flatballer is offline  
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 07-21-20, 03:20 PM
  #78  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 617

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
You see, this is exactly the type of arrogance that explains why road racers can't make it. Whereas I respect road guys, you don't respect me, even though I would smoke you every way to Sunday in an urban race. I am 58, but put me in any city anywhere and I would beat you in my sleep. Lets put some money on it. I am in Houston but can travel. I actually was a pretty decent BMX racer. The difference is that the BMX guys are not nearly as conceded as the road guy, and you keep making my point.
I doubt anyone here cares at all about urban racing besides you, it's really odd of you to jump on this forum and start challenging people to something we don't have any interest in. I know everyone's going through some tough times right now, are you doing ok?
wktmeow is offline  
Old 07-21-20, 04:49 PM
  #79  
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk
 
TMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 11,613

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 277 Posts
RadDog you may get more favorable responses in the Single Speed and Fixed Gear forum. As I'm sure you're aware, a lot of the modern (last ~15 years) fad for SS/FG riding is based around messenger culture, especially in NYC.

I got my start riding SS/FG in college (~2005) as a runner, before banging my knees up too much and discovering road cycling. These days, I don't have the nerves or bravery for the perils of urban riding, although I'm in much better shape as I train more consistently and with more discipline.

Cheers,
Tmonk

SS/FG link: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/
__________________
"Your beauty is an aeroplane;
so high, my heart cannot bear the strain." -A.C. Jobim, Triste
TMonk is offline  
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-22-20, 10:25 AM
  #80  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
test
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 10:28 AM
  #81  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk View Post
RadDog you may get more favorable responses in the Single Speed and Fixed Gear forum. As I'm sure you're aware, a lot of the modern (last ~15 years) fad for SS/FG riding is based around messenger culture, especially in NYC.

I got my start riding SS/FG in college (~2005) as a runner, before banging my knees up too much and discovering road cycling. These days, I don't have the nerves or bravery for the perils of urban riding, although I'm in much better shape as I train more consistently and with more discipline.

Cheers,
Tmonk

SS/FG link: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespeed-fixed-gear/

Thanks. There is a huge difference between San Francisco and New York, primarily the hills. That is why you will see single speeds/fixies in NY but never SF. SF members do massive hills (unless they are slugs). SF is actually more dense (19 time smaller geographically).
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 10:34 AM
  #82  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by obra3 View Post
Current USAC database reads:

327 Pros (USPRO)
1,781 Cat 1's
4,418 Cat 2's
9,539 Cat 3's
13,896 Cat 4's
13,451 Cat 5's

+/-1 rider in each category.
Very interesting. out of 1,781 Cat 1's only 327 made it to professional status. This tells you that most Cat 1's don't make it to pro. They don't make it because they are not good enough, plain and simple

Now, here is the thing about that: There are variations from sport to sport (IE cyclists don't make the money that other professional athletes make) but within the sport money is a clear indicator of performance. The best riders make more money than the not quite best. If you are not making much money then you are not that good, plain and simple.

Last edited by RadDog; 07-22-20 at 10:47 AM.
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 10:41 AM
  #83  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
Stay in school children.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-22-20, 10:43 AM
  #84  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
Except you did not make a living racing your bike. Thus, in the context of this thread, you were not a pro. At all.

Pizza delivery people are not professional race car drivers. Bike messengers are not professional bike racers.
Since you obviously represent the best cyclist, what were your earning in your best years of riding?

I have tremendous respect for road cyclists, always have, but road racing is only one aspect of biking, and road guys tend to be dismissive of other styles of riding. There are several categories of bicycle racing including, time trialling, cyclo-cross, mountain bike racing, track cycling, BMX, and cycle speedway.

Road cycling has a long and tremendously rich history, but again you can be a great road cycling, yet not have exceptional all around skills.

So it bears repeating, how much money have you made as a professional cyclist?
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 10:49 AM
  #85  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
Can you go troll somewhere else? No one said they made money racing, but merely that you didn't and therefore weren't a professional.
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-22-20, 10:49 AM
  #86  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,571
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by Voodoo76 View Post
Man some good old names in this one. YMCA, ZeCanon, waterrockets...
+1 I opened this up not noticing the start date and then thought it was going to be someone commenting on pcad.
himespau is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 11:00 AM
  #87  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 617

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
They don't make it because they are not good enough, plain and simple
I don't think that's a fair conclusion. Many don't go pro because they already have jobs they like and cycling is a hobby.
wktmeow is offline  
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 07-22-20, 11:03 AM
  #88  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 617

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
Since you obviously represent the best cyclist, what were your earning in your best years of riding?

I have tremendous respect for road cyclists, always have, but road racing is only one aspect of biking, and road guys tend to be dismissive of other styles of riding. There are several categories of bicycle racing including, time trialling, cyclo-cross, mountain bike racing, track cycling, BMX, and cycle speedway.

Road cycling has a long and tremendously rich history, but again you can be a great road cycling, yet not have exceptional all around skills.

So it bears repeating, how much money have you made as a professional cyclist?
You're not really making any lucid point. This is a road bike racing forum. Why are you here posting about messenger racing? Were you hoping for some kind of pat on the back for your achievements from 20 years ago, or what exactly were you looking for in reviving this thread?
wktmeow is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 11:30 AM
  #89  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by wktmeow View Post
You're not really making any lucid point. This is a road bike racing forum. Why are you here posting about messenger racing? Were you hoping for some kind of pat on the back for your achievements from 20 years ago, or what exactly were you looking for in reviving this thread?

I originally posted in jest. I do this all the time with road guys and in the real world we all laugh and move on. In some cases, road guys get butt hurt, and there is a simple way of settling the argument, we race.

My point is, I am faster and a better all around cyclist. It does not matter, put me in any crowded city and I will get from point A point B faster. The few road cyclists who take up my offer always lose. They simply do not have the skill set. In this case my main critic lives in Nashville. Put me on one edge of the city, and you next to me and I will get to point B faster than you. I will put up $5k, if you beat me you get the money.

Cyclists return to their day jobs because their office gig pays way more than they would make riding a bike. They don't make much money because they are not that good.

Who is going to pick a dull 9 to 5 job over being a professional cyclist? Millions and millions of boys (in Europe, at least) dream of being in the pack in the Giro or Tour.

I originally posted in jest...I thought it was funny. But my main point holds: If you are really truly good you would make good money.

This will be my last post on this topic because really there is nothing more to say. The best solution is to race.
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 11:35 AM
  #90  
wktmeow
Senior Member
 
wktmeow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: San Diego
Posts: 617

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I originally posted in jest. I do this all the time with road guys and in the real world we all laugh and move on. In some cases, road guys get butt hurt, and there is a simple way of settling the argument, we race.

My point is, I am faster and a better all around cyclist. It does not matter, put me in any crowded city and I will get from point A point B faster. The few road cyclists who take up my offer always lose. They simply do not have the skill set. In this case my main critic lives in Nashville. Put me on one edge of the city, and you next to me and I will get to point B faster than you. I will put up $5k, if you beat me you get the money.

Cyclists return to their day jobs because their office gig pays way more than they would make riding a bike. They don't make much money because they are not that good.

Who is going to pick a dull 9 to 5 job over being a professional cyclist? Millions and millions of boys (in Europe, at least) dream of being in the pack in the Giro or Tour.

I originally posted in jest...I thought it was funny. But my main point holds: If you are really truly good you would make good money.

This will be my last post on this topic because really there is nothing more to say. The best solution is to race.
And a good taxi driver would likely beat an f1 driver through the city. Does that make the taxi driver a great racer?


If someone gets to cat 1 on 8 hours a week of training, it's possible that they could go pro and do well on 30-40 hours a week of training. But not everyone wants to pursue or live the pro life. It doesn't necessarily mean they're not talented or don't have the potential. Dull 9-5 job? I rather enjoy my desk job, it's exciting and stimulates my brain plenty. I don't think I'd be happier making my living cycling. Dreaming of being in the pro peloton and the actualization of that dream are very different. Traveling on a team bus, sleeping at random hotels away from family, etc. It's not for everyone.
wktmeow is offline  
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 07-22-20, 12:19 PM
  #91  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I originally posted in jest. I do this all the time with road guys and in the real world we all laugh and move on. In some cases, road guys get butt hurt, and there is a simple way of settling the argument, we race.

My point is, I am faster and a better all around cyclist. It does not matter, put me in any crowded city and I will get from point A point B faster. The few road cyclists who take up my offer always lose. They simply do not have the skill set. In this case my main critic lives in Nashville. Put me on one edge of the city, and you next to me and I will get to point B faster than you. I will put up $5k, if you beat me you get the money.

Cyclists return to their day jobs because their office gig pays way more than they would make riding a bike. They don't make much money because they are not that good.

Who is going to pick a dull 9 to 5 job over being a professional cyclist? Millions and millions of boys (in Europe, at least) dream of being in the pack in the Giro or Tour.

I originally posted in jest...I thought it was funny. But my main point holds: If you are really truly good you would make good money.

This will be my last post on this topic because really there is nothing more to say. The best solution is to race.

OMG I'd totally race you. Let's race!
gsteinb is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 12:34 PM
  #92  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb View Post
OMG I'd totally race you. Let's race!
I am in Houston. It is geographically huge, not dense like SF. You can get away with a traditional road bike. The lack of density will greatly help you. Let me know if you want to do it.

I will find you an inexpensive place to stay.

I live in Sugar Land and have never ridden my bike in Houston. That means I will not have the home field advantage. We race at 4:30 in the afternoon, in rush hour traffic.

Last edited by RadDog; 07-22-20 at 12:40 PM.
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 12:38 PM
  #93  
himespau 
Senior Member
 
himespau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 11,571
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2165 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 415 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I am in Houston. It is geographically huge, not dense like SF. You can get away with a traditional road bike. The lack of density will greatly help you. Let me know if you want to do it.
Ooh, we should hook this dude up with radishlegs. He was in Houston, right?
himespau is offline  
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-22-20, 12:57 PM
  #94  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
Since you obviously represent the best cyclist, what were your earning in your best years of riding?

I have tremendous respect for road cyclists, always have, but road racing is only one aspect of biking, and road guys tend to be dismissive of other styles of riding. There are several categories of bicycle racing including, time trialling, cyclo-cross, mountain bike racing, track cycling, BMX, and cycle speedway.

Road cycling has a long and tremendously rich history, but again you can be a great road cycling, yet not have exceptional all around skills.

So it bears repeating, how much money have you made as a professional cyclist?

I didn't earn anything. I've never been a pro bike racer. And neither have you.

Get it yet?
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 01:00 PM
  #95  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I originally posted in jest. I do this all the time with road guys and in the real world we all laugh and move on. In some cases, road guys get butt hurt, and there is a simple way of settling the argument, we race.

My point is, I am faster and a better all around cyclist. It does not matter, put me in any crowded city and I will get from point A point B faster. The few road cyclists who take up my offer always lose. They simply do not have the skill set. In this case my main critic lives in Nashville. Put me on one edge of the city, and you next to me and I will get to point B faster than you. I will put up $5k, if you beat me you get the money.

Cyclists return to their day jobs because their office gig pays way more than they would make riding a bike. They don't make much money because they are not that good.

Who is going to pick a dull 9 to 5 job over being a professional cyclist? Millions and millions of boys (in Europe, at least) dream of being in the pack in the Giro or Tour.

I originally posted in jest...I thought it was funny. But my main point holds: If you are really truly good you would make good money.

This will be my last post on this topic because really there is nothing more to say. The best solution is to race.

Your first post was incoherent.

Your following posts were ignorant, irrelevant, and simply dumb.

Clearly you have a serious problem understanding words and their meanings.

You weren't funny, and you weren't a bike a racer. Go away, your shtick is tiresome.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 01:01 PM
  #96  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I am in Houston. It is geographically huge, not dense like SF. You can get away with a traditional road bike. The lack of density will greatly help you. Let me know if you want to do it.

I will find you an inexpensive place to stay.

I live in Sugar Land and have never ridden my bike in Houston. That means I will not have the home field advantage. We race at 4:30 in the afternoon, in rush hour traffic.
What happened to your previous post being your last post?
rubiksoval is offline  
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 07-22-20, 01:11 PM
  #97  
RadDog
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
What happened to your previous post being your last post?
It was, unless someone else stepped up to race, and someone did. We need to work out the logistics. It will be a friendly race, however, not for money.

I am a better cyclist than you, period. You don't get paid to ride simply because you are not good enough. I got paid because I was the best.

If you think you can beat me then do so. But we both know you will lose. Do you even know the basics for heavy traffic riding? Do you know how to prevent being doored?
RadDog is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 01:14 PM
  #98  
rubiksoval
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Music City, USA
Posts: 3,682

Bikes: Felt AR

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2141 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 394 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
It was, unless someone else stepped up to race, and someone did. We need to work out the logistics. It will be a friendly race, however, not for money.

I am a better cyclist than you, period. You don't get paid to ride simply because you are not good enough. I got paid because I was the best.

If you think you can beat me then do so. But we both know you will lose. Do you even know the basics for heavy traffic riding? Do you know how to prevent being doored?
Ah, look, you're still so confused.
rubiksoval is offline  
Old 07-22-20, 01:28 PM
  #99  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by rubiksoval View Post
What happened to your previous post being your last post?
I think I won, no?
gsteinb is offline  
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-22-20, 01:31 PM
  #100  
gsteinb
out walking the earth
 
gsteinb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Lake Placid, NY
Posts: 21,078
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 728 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 150 Posts
Originally Posted by RadDog View Post
I am in Houston. It is geographically huge, not dense like SF. You can get away with a traditional road bike. The lack of density will greatly help you. Let me know if you want to do it.

I will find you an inexpensive place to stay.

I live in Sugar Land and have never ridden my bike in Houston. That means I will not have the home field advantage. We race at 4:30 in the afternoon, in rush hour traffic.
yep, sure. I'll run right down to texas in a pandemic.

btw, I'm from NY and commuted into and out of the city on bike in rush hour.
gsteinb is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.