Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Just got the Citizen Bike Barcelona...

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-11, 04:15 PM
James H Haury
Hauja

Bikes: not as many but still too many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
WINNING! I just changed my Dahon over to pullback bars today .You got the good comfy bars. Straight Handlebars are like the CUBS they create a a Vaccum(Note ,Author is a SOX Fan)

Last edited by James H Haury; 07-05-11 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-11-11, 09:22 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow, can't believe it's been almost a year since I posted here!

Unfortunately I developed sciatica after a bike accident, stopped riding bikes altogether for several months, and only now am gingerly able to go for short rides on my Townie ... and had to give away my Schwinn folder altogether.

But now I'm wondering if the Barcelona might be comfortable for my poor sore back, if I ever get the nerve (or the money) to jump back on a folder?

Those who have them; how do they compare in comfort to, something like an Electra Townie (or any comfort cruiser style)?

Thanks!!
Old 07-11-11, 11:12 AM
kamtsa

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by stoogeswoman
...But now I'm wondering if the Barcelona might be comfortable for my poor sore back,
Have you considered recumbent bike? It may be easier on your back. Suspension may also help.
Old 07-11-11, 11:22 AM
stoogeswoman
Stooges Woman

Bikes: Electra Townie, Schwinn Loop. Schwinn Hinge

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do recumbents fold?
Old 07-18-11, 04:18 PM
giselovesyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finally, its here!

At last I finally received my Barcelona today!

The shipping: HORRIBLE. I placed the order almost one month ago, I was very annoyed at this as it said it would only take 8 days most. I just wanted my bike so badly
And finally after emailing citizen bike and begging to please ship my bike they shipped it but it took 10 days :/

Upon arrival: I was at school, received the email and immediately called my mom if she had gotten it. I basically daydreamed about the bike while at school until I got home. Then ohhhhh myyyy. I opened the package, put it together, and I was amazed! :O it is such a beautiful bike! It's bigger than I expected so I don't mind. I did not really get to ride it but I will in a bit (after riding it ill update how i like the ride).

In conclusion: The Barcelona has exceeded all my expectations of a folding bike and I love it! I immediately forgot about the terrible shipping and I am a happy camper
Old 07-18-11, 04:27 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Great! Be sure to keep posting to share your impressions riding it, and for any advice you might need re setup or changing stuff.
Old 07-19-11, 07:58 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
By any chance does anyone know where to find replacement cream colored Kendas that come with this bike? Or, if anyone wants to sell me theirs, pls let me know.
Old 07-19-11, 08:42 AM
kamtsa

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pgoat
By any chance does anyone know where to find replacement cream colored Kendas that come with this bike? Or, if anyone wants to sell me theirs, pls let me know.
Have you tried to contact Citizen? Once I called them and they were very responsive.

Try also a google image search for something line 'color 406 tire' (without the quotes).

https://www.google.com/search?q=color+406+tires&tbm=isch

Here is one of the results I got, it has few 406 color tires.

https://www.seriousjuggling.com/unicycle-parts.htm
Old 07-19-11, 10:23 AM
pgoat
Batüwü Griekgriek

Bikes: 1986 Trek 500 Tri Series, 2005 Cannondale R1000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I emailed them, yes, and thanks for those links. You would think they'd offer them as replacements, since tires do wear out.
Old 07-20-11, 01:36 AM
giselovesyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Long Message!

As for the tires, I think I saw they were a "custom color" so not sure if you can get that exact one.

As for the bike, I rode it at down town yesterday (first time riding it). I was very surprised that I got really tired within 5 minutes of riding :/ I'm not sure if it's because I hadn't ridden in about 2 weeks? I'm also in shape so its not that. Maybe because I'm used to the 3-speed gears? I used 2nd and 3rd....

It was VERY different for me, as I was using a huffy single speed cruiser (the whole opposite). So the Barcelona was very "flimsy" and i didn't feel like i had much control over it. I am getting used to it as it is a WHOLE different concept. Another thing is that it seems sort of slow for me, even on 3rd I wish it was faster...I'm going to try it in hilly areas and will update

QUESTIONS: is there a way to keep the bike "together" when when folded? it's unbalanced and keep going to the side where the handle bars fold as if was unfolding. So when I pick it up falls apart (I do this by holding the back of the seat and the back rack when folded). The other problem is the handlebars, they just "hang".
Old 07-20-11, 01:47 AM
bjorke
Idealistic Troublemaker

Bikes: Friday, Brompton, Soma, Fuji, Haro, No_Name...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did you get the matching bag? Makes dealing with it when folded a bit simpler.

A velcro strap should have come with the bike too, keeps it snug.

Last edited by bjorke; 08-17-11 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 08:45 PM
giselovesyou

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! It actually came with it, I have not tried it but I will now that you've mentioned it. thanks!
Old 07-22-11, 02:01 PM
Varooom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, You can buy the exact tires from Citizen. They told me they sell all replacement parts. I am actually going to order a set just to have.

Old 07-25-11, 10:05 AM
BluePlate55

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giselovesyou
It was VERY different for me, as I was using a huffy single speed cruiser (the whole opposite). So the Barcelona was very "flimsy" and i didn't feel like i had much control over it. I am getting used to it as it is a WHOLE different concept. Another thing is that it seems sort of slow for me, even on 3rd I wish it was faster...I'm going to try it in hilly areas and will update

QUESTIONS: is there a way to keep the bike "together" when when folded? it's unbalanced and keep going to the side where the handle bars fold as if was unfolding. So when I pick it up falls apart (I do this by holding the back of the seat and the back rack when folded). The other problem is the handlebars, they just "hang".
Interesting that you bring up the issue of control, because control over the bike is one of the things I really love about my Barcelona-the moment I got on it I felt more stable and in control than on my old cruiser. But I hear you about the gearing. I used to live in a very flat place and was constantly frustrated that I couldn't pedal with more resistance. Now that I'm living in a very hilly place it's less of an issue, but still. This may be one area where I think the 8 speeds of the Dahon Ciao might be a better option.

I keep my bike together when folded with a bungee cord that I keep in the basket. I wind it around the handlebar post and around both halves of the bike, and it cinches together nicely. I personally find the bag to be way too cumbersome to use regularly. I've put the bike in the bag twice, when I moved cross-country, but for regular stuff, just to get it to trailheads and such for daily rides, I just fold and bungee.
Old 07-25-11, 12:31 PM
Varooom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Folding bike from the early 70's. Look at the frame-very simular! Famous Porsche driver, Peter Gregg on his 'pit' ride around the track. I had one very close from 1970 in Yellow.

The reason I bought the Barcelona from Citizen. Excellent bike!!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
foldingbike_Pgregg.jpg (65.7 KB, 172 views)
Old 12-20-16, 02:26 PM
Auclan

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A lady friend bought a new Barcelona model recently, so I had a chance to compare it to my Citizen Gotham 7 (which I wrote about here: https://bikefoldorg.wordpress.com). As many on this forum have commented, the design is quite nice and classy. As a folding bike though, it is decidedly more awkward than the Gotham. The low dipped step-through frame interferes with the pedals. There seems to be only one position where the pedals barely fit to allow the 2 halves of the bike frame to lock together. Also, the swept back handlebar design makes the grips interfere with the wheel spokes and prevents the wheel from turning when the handlebar is folded down. One of the nice aspects of the Gotham 7 is that it is easy to roll on both wheels when folded. With the Barcelona, it can only be rolled with the handlebar not folded. The 3 speed hub makes sense on a folding bike though in this case the Barcelona should be regarded as a leisurely "cruiser" as first gear is about the equivalent of 4th gear on the Gotham (with the "improvements" I made). It's still a nice solid bike and if you don't need to roll it when folded, could suit you well.
Old 07-22-20, 07:01 PM
poppies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Newer Barcelona review

It has apparently been a very long time since someone on this forum got a Barcelona, so let me chime in with a newer review:

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the bike. For me, it represents a great value at its current price. It's clearly not equipped with top-of-the-line appointments (or in some areas even middle-of-the-line), but it does what it does very well.

FedEx utterly destroyed the box it came in, so I was amazed that Citizen had packed the bike so well that it came across the entire country without a scratch. Not even the basket had any damage.

I've had a cheap Chinese folder and a Dahon D7 Jack, and have also checked out lots of Bromptons, so I'm pretty familiar with folders. This is solidly built in terms of the folding mechanism, it's possibly even a little more solid than the Dahon I had. I lacked no confidence at all that everything was locked in when I set it up. For the geometry it has, it felt remarkably un-squirrelly, and the three speeds are perfect for me for even moderate hills up and down (and I'm distinctly not in top biking shape).

I'm not a total strongman, so I loved that it's relatively light even though it's in the style of a cruiser. In the accessory bag, I can carry it one handed without much effort.

The cheap plastic pedals and the metallic-finished plastic fenders are pretty cheesy, and the subtle metal-flake paint job wasn't the classic flat color I expected, but from a short distance everything looks pretty darn great.

Definitely a fun bike, and some clear thought went into its design. I certainly recommend it!
Old 03-21-21, 10:45 AM
poppies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by poppies
It has apparently been a very long time since someone on this forum got a Barcelona, so let me chime in with a newer review:

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the bike. For me, it represents a great value at its current price. It's clearly not equipped with top-of-the-line appointments (or in some areas even middle-of-the-line), but it does what it does very well.

FedEx utterly destroyed the box it came in, so I was amazed that Citizen had packed the bike so well that it came across the entire country without a scratch. Not even the basket had any damage.

I've had a cheap Chinese folder and a Dahon D7 Jack, and have also checked out lots of Bromptons, so I'm pretty familiar with folders. This is solidly built in terms of the folding mechanism, it's possibly even a little more solid than the Dahon I had. I lacked no confidence at all that everything was locked in when I set it up. For the geometry it has, it felt remarkably un-squirrelly, and the three speeds are perfect for me for even moderate hills up and down (and I'm distinctly not in top biking shape).

I'm not a total strongman, so I loved that it's relatively light even though it's in the style of a cruiser. In the accessory bag, I can carry it one handed without much effort.

The cheap plastic pedals and the metallic-finished plastic fenders are pretty cheesy, and the subtle metal-flake paint job wasn't the classic flat color I expected, but from a short distance everything looks pretty darn great.

Definitely a fun bike, and some clear thought went into its design. I certainly recommend it!
Sometimes bikes don't reveal their true colors until you've lived with them for a while, so I thought an update might be worthwhile.

My Barcelona is pretty much good as new despite lots of riding, it has held up better than I would have expected even with quite minimal maintenance. The combination of folding convenience and cruiser-style-comfort has been a bigger benefit than I thought it would be. I'm not winning any races with this thing, but it's just such a joy to ride it along beach paths and around the neighborhood.

I feel a little silly riding around with my dainty little basket on my bike, haha, but it's really handy and I use it all the time!

Really pleased with this bike.