Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which tube to install water bottle cage on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-20, 03:06 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

Hello,
My bike has two water bottle cage threaded inserts. For my rides I only ever need one large Camelbak bottle. I have settled on putting the cage on the seat tube instead of the down tube because I can grab it, sip and put it back without looking. But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks
Old 07-25-20, 03:47 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
That bike only has one purpose - to make you happy. No other opinions count. At worst, if you decide you don't like it on the seat tube, you can move it to the other location.
Old 07-25-20, 04:10 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Wind tunnel testing shows a slight aero advantage on the down tube,

where I also find it easier to grab the bottle.

I've never seen any case made for weight distribution other than that lower is better.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 07-25-20, 04:14 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
I find reaching the down tube location easier. Tradition says that the first cage goes on the down tube. In the '70s when I race, race bikes has a set there only.

All that said, I second Retro above. It's your bike. I'm good with whatever works for you, (I put a third bottle under the downtube for really hot and/or long rides. Time trialists use cages behind the seat, In the old days the pros had cages bolted to their handlebars. That trend is coming back. Camelbaks have become fairly popular on road cyclists.

Hydration is important, On hot or very hard rides, often of supreme importance. How you arrange your bottles and cages is far less so, as long as it works for you. I"m a pure traditionalist. I raced the two cages, down tube and seat tube (the seat tube cage secured with the metal straps), drank from the down tube bottom cage first, then swapped the bottles. But that's just me. I learned too long ago to change. You have a clean slate.

A consideration - will a Camelbak bottle stay in the cage if you hit rough road? Losing your only bottle on a very hot ride on a fast downhill on a group ride could be very costly; as in one of those nightmare you will always remember and hope to never repeat. I ride with standard bottles and their either "necks" of "waists" depending on bottle size in SS King cages because that combo never flies off.

Stay hydrated! Welcome to cycling! And Bike Forums!

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-25-20, 04:24 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Makes you wonder if they made aero shaped water bottles that only hold eg. 12 ozs and are completely hidden by the frame tubes.. in which case 2 of these could be better than 1 large bottle setup?
Old 07-25-20, 04:59 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
It's wherever is easiest for you. I always find it easier to grab from the dt so all my bikes have at least a dt cage.
Old 07-25-20, 05:38 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
DT may allow for a taller bottle whereas the ST might restrict the height of the bottle that you choose to use.
ST has a less likely chance at spitting out the bottle when jarred by the riding conditions. A larger diameter ST bottle might interfere with leg movement.
I use both.
Old 07-25-20, 07:31 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Makes you wonder if they made aero shaped water bottles that only hold eg. 12 ozs and are completely hidden by the frame tubes.. in which case 2 of these could be better than 1 large bottle setup?
Do you mean like this? 500ml (16 ounces each)

Cheers
Old 07-25-20, 07:40 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
This summer? In the heatwave we've had?

I run, Camelback with 2 liters on back
Down tube and seat tube each with a bottle and as of yesterday, two bar bottles. Just two bike bottles in this heat, let alone one, would scare me. Losing sunglasses is bad. Losing water is not healthy.
Old 07-25-20, 08:15 PM
bargo68 
Dedicated Detritus Dodger

Bikes: Some mighty fine ones at that!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 247 Posts
Down tube is an easier grab for me. Also, a frame pump runs up the seat tube on a couple of my bikes.

Last edited by bargo68; 07-25-20 at 09:34 PM.
Old 07-25-20, 08:27 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I’ve always put a cage on both the down tube and seat tube; pump is under top tube. If I’m only using one battle it is in the downtube cage.

I use Cateye BC-100 on all my bikes. While they are extremely ugly, I never lose a bottle. And, I’ve found different colors of NOS on eBay.

John
Old 07-25-20, 08:41 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
These were popular back when aero first became a 'thing'. The downside was small capacity, and proprietary cage bottle combos and even proprietary mounting at times. Plus they were expensive. So if may be why they were not broadly popular.

I find a King IRIS stainless steel cages will keep a bottle, even a 24 oz. bottle, in place over all the bumps I have encountered and in the 2 low speed crashes I have had. They will also hold stainless Klean Kanteen bottles. I have found the more vertical the bottle the greater the chance of ejection, and handlebar mounts eject more than seat tube mounts. Just my experience and YMMV.
Old 07-25-20, 09:35 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4348 Post(s)
Liked 3,984 Times in 2,661 Posts
I usually have two but in the rare case I have one it is on the down tube (unless it can't be placed there for some odd reason). However put it wherever works for you.
Old 07-25-20, 10:15 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Running 6 to 0 for bottle on the DT- looking like a consensus.
Old 07-26-20, 06:47 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Do you mean like this? 500ml (16 ounces each)

Yeah, something like that.

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
These were popular back when aero first became a 'thing'. The downside was small capacity, and proprietary cage bottle combos and even proprietary mounting at times. Plus they were expensive. So if may be why they were not broadly popular.
Definitely would be a kinda specialized purpose/niche need. Seems with the more prevalent even larger and more aero CF tubing on entire lineups of bikes now, and the wider downtubes as a result, it might be a bit easier now to something tuck worthwhile behind the downtubes especially.
Old 07-26-20, 06:57 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Wow.. 15 posts, must be too hot so everyone is inside on the interwebz.

I'm going for another ride.... with 2 water bottles.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 07-26-20, 07:07 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I find reaching the down tube location easier. Tradition says that the first cage goes on the down tube. In the '70s when I race, race bikes has a set there only.

All that said, I second Retro above. It's your bike. I'm good with whatever works for you, (I put a third bottle under the downtube for really hot and/or long rides. Time trialists use cages behind the seat, In the old days the pros had cages bolted to their handlebars. That trend is coming back. Camelbaks have become fairly popular on road cyclists.

Hydration is important, On hot or very hard rides, often of supreme importance. How you arrange your bottles and cages is far less so, as long as it works for you. I"m a pure traditionalist. I raced the two cages, down tube and seat tube (the seat tube cage secured with the metal straps), drank from the down tube bottom cage first, then swapped the bottles. But that's just me. I learned too long ago to change. You have a clean slate.

A consideration - will a Camelbak bottle stay in the cage if you hit rough road? Losing your only bottle on a very hot ride on a fast downhill on a group ride could be very costly; as in one of those nightmare you will always remember and hope to never repeat. I ride with standard bottles and their either "necks" of "waists" depending on bottle size in SS King cages because that combo never flies off.

Stay hydrated! Welcome to cycling! And Bike Forums!

Ben
Agree DT+1 may also help your improve your riding position as does riding more in the drops
Old 07-26-20, 07:13 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Seat Tube Preference...

Originally Posted by woodcraft
Running 6 to 0 for bottle on the DT- looking like a consensus.
I put bottle holders on both the downtube and seat tube of my three bikes for longer rides.

But I mostly commute, and over the years I have found that I will usually take a drink when I'm stopped at a light. When I'm stopped and sitting upright on the seat it is easier to reach under the seat to grab the water bottle than to bend forward to reach for the DT bottle. In fact, I only take one bottle when commuting and I put it on the seatpost holder.

I hadn't thought about this before reading this thread. I suppose I grab the downtube bottle when in motion on long rides, but I don't know.

...great, now I'll be pre-occupied with how I drink when riding and probably fall.

I'll let you know.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-26-20, 07:16 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Back in the late '80's I had bottles and cages similar to what you mentioned. They were Campy kit. I made the mistake of selling the bike (MAZA Prestige) and let the cages/bottles go with them.
Old 07-26-20, 12:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,966 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

sooo late in the day for the additional ride? Already did a medium, long, short, & round-bout' rides before cyber church bells rang.
Old 07-27-20, 05:34 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The seat tube location is most efficient for me to reach and replace without looking. So, if I'm riding with only one bottle, it goes there.

If I'm riding with two bottles, then the seat tube one is for drinking and the downtube one is the back-up. Once drained, the primary bottle goes to the downtube and the other replaces it at the seat tube.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 07-27-20, 05:48 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The seat tube location is most efficient for me to reach and replace without looking. So, if I'm riding with only one bottle, it goes there.

If I'm riding with two bottles, then the seat tube one is for drinking and the downtube one is the back-up. Once drained, the primary bottle goes to the downtube and the other replaces it at the seat tube.
Precisely the same with me.
Old 07-27-20, 07:36 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

+ 1....I also have two water bottle cages on all of my bikes.
Old 07-27-20, 07:39 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks
It doesn't matter.
Old 07-27-20, 11:04 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
Hello,
My bike has two water bottle cage threaded inserts. For my rides I only ever need one large Camelbak bottle. I have settled on putting the cage on the seat tube instead of the down tube because I can grab it, sip and put it back without looking. But I was wondering if there is a consensus on which tube is "better" in terms of handling.

Thanks
So if you find there is a consensus on putting it on the down tube, are you going to move it?

If it works for you, why would you care what others do?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.