Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Anyone use size 14/size 50 shoes? Shimano rx8 experience?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-20, 07:12 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts

I've put off new shoes so far this year and its past time to get new ones. Like most clothing purchases, itll be online as no local store carries size 14/50 shoes.

Anyone have same size shoes and like em?
Many/most shoes don't come in this size, unfortunately.

I have Garneau Granite II shoes right now and they are stiff enough for what I want. They are mid-upper level of quality.
I can get them again, but am curious what else is out there as I dont need the aggressive traction lugs.

Shimano rx8 shoes are a possibility since they come in size 50.
shimano xc7 is also a possibility, though finding them available in size 50 is a work in progress still.

Anything else to consider in that size?

Last edited by mstateglfr; 07-31-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-31-20, 07:23 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
How wide/shaped are your feet? I found the XC7 in 44 was better for flat/narrow feet...which I have narrower feet (for a man), but not really flat.
Old 07-31-20, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Aaargh!
well I just finished a night gravel ride and this happened as I loosened my left shoe.

comical timing.
Old 07-31-20, 09:13 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
How wide/shaped are your feet? I found the XC7 in 44 was better for flat/narrow feet...which I have narrower feet (for a man), but not really flat.
Do you mean flat as in no arch support or do you mean flat as in the top of the shoe doesn't rise up much so the overall shape is flat?
I have a large foot, but they are otherwise pretty standard. Havent needed wide shoes and am comfortable in most anything.
Old 07-31-20, 09:58 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Do you mean flat as in no arch support or do you mean flat as in the top of the shoe doesn't rise up much so the overall shape is flat?
I have a large foot, but they are otherwise pretty standard. Havent needed wide shoes and am comfortable in most anything.
Flat footed as in low-arch.

I ended up with Giro VR90 Empires (on sale) myself.
Old 08-01-20, 12:31 PM
flacplnj

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I am a size 14. I don't own this shoe, but I will say most manufactures are different in their sizing. I ordered a pair of Bontrager XXX MTB shoes in a size 48. According to Bontrager their 48 is a men's 14.5 US. Wrong.
Luckily I was able to return them. Have you tried a Shimano dealer? They can measure your foot for the correct size for this model and probably tell you if they will fit or not. The only other advice I can give you since I don't own this shoe is make sure where you are shopping online has a favorable return policy just in case they don't fit.
Old 08-09-20, 11:21 AM
flacplnj

I don't know if you purchased the RX8 or not, but its what I ended up with due to size availability and do to my Bontrager issue.

The RX8 size 50 is also only available in black. It fits my feet great, it is a comfortable shoe. The only issue I see is the tongue is short, so when you tighten the Boa to set the tension by the time it feels comfortable in the mid part of the shoe it causes the top of the shoe to be tight fitting. It feels as if the tongue is pinching your ankle. I found when you tighten the boa insert two fingers vertically under the tongue. When you get the tension set for the mid part of the shoe remove your fingers and see if the top portion is secure enough. If not add a little bit of tension at a time.The shoe is a standard D or M width. Good room in the toe box. All in all pretty nice shoe.
I would say the fit will be similar no matter what size you require. From size 48 down it is offered in a wide fitting shoe
Old 08-10-20, 07:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by flacplnj
I don't know if you purchased the RX8 or not, but its what I ended up with due to size availability and do to my Bontrager issue.

The RX8 size 50 is also only available in black. It fits my feet great, it is a comfortable shoe. The only issue I see is the tongue is short, so when you tighten the Boa to set the tension by the time it feels comfortable in the mid part of the shoe it causes the top of the shoe to be tight fitting. It feels as if the tongue is pinching your ankle. I found when you tighten the boa insert two fingers vertically under the tongue. When you get the tension set for the mid part of the shoe remove your fingers and see if the top portion is secure enough. If not add a little bit of tension at a time.The shoe is a standard D or M width. Good room in the toe box. All in all pretty nice shoe.
I would say the fit will be similar no matter what size you require. From size 48 down it is offered in a wide fitting shoe
Ended up grabbing the rx8 and it should deliver today.
Hopefully it fits, but at worst I'll return it and just grab another pair of the LG shoes I've used for the last 4ish years.

Thanks for the insight on tounge and fit. I'll be sure to mess around with it.
Old 08-11-20, 04:50 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Update time for those looking around in the future.

The rx8 is super nice. Well made, light, etc. It better be for the $. A size 50 is also Sideshow Bob like comically long.

Here is an rx8 50 compared to a 50 in my Garneau Granite.
the heel cup of the rx8 is narrow and deeper than my Garneau shoe.
inexplicably, my toes are about the same point from the front of each shoe. I did the test with both the left and right of each shoe so its not like my feet are different sizes.

The Garneau Granite in 50 weighs 425g and the rx8 weighs 365g.

I like the way they rx8 shoe envelops my foot, but its a pain putting them on compared to a traditional open top shoe. It actually takes more time and some wiggling to get my foot in. I'm sure thats a design feature for stability or whatever, but I dont want it.

they are great, probably not for me though. ill save $100 and just buy another pair of what i already have.
Old 08-12-20, 07:03 AM
flacplnj

Update time for those looking around in the future.

The rx8 is super nice. Well made, light, etc. It better be for the $. A size 50 is also Sideshow Bob like comically long.

Here is an rx8 50 compared to a 50 in my Garneau Granite.
the heel cup of the rx8 is narrow and deeper than my Garneau shoe.
inexplicably, my toes are about the same point from the front of each shoe. I did the test with both the left and right of each shoe so its not like my feet are different sizes.

The Garneau Granite in 50 weighs 425g and the rx8 weighs 365g.

I like the way they rx8 shoe envelops my foot, but its a pain putting them on compared to a traditional open top shoe. It actually takes more time and some wiggling to get my foot in. I'm sure thats a design feature for stability or whatever, but I dont want it.

they are great, probably not for me though. ill save $100 and just buy another pair of what i already have.
You are correct about the difficulty in putting this shoe on. Unfortunately shoes in our size have limited options in manufacturers. There just aren't many shoe models available when you have big feet. The RX8 for instance only comes in the black, no other color options available, also they stop offering a wide option at size 48.

I researched the Louis Garneau Granite 2 after reading your post. What I took away from their listed sizing information is the Granite 2 does come in a size 50, but the length of the shoe is only 30.5 cm ( as depicted in your picture), where as RX8 is 31.7 cm in length. The Granite 2 also states this shoe fits a US 13.5, which would seem to be more in line with the stated length.

For me it looks as if the Granite 2 is closer to Bontrager sizing, which didn't work out for me. Bontrager only goes up to a size 49, but state that their shoe fits a US 14.5 foot. The shoe length according to the Bontrager listed sizing is 30.5 cm.

After I returned the Bontrager shoes I took the time to measure my foot. My foot length is 30.5 cm, that explains why it didn't fit. I should have measured my foot before I ordered the shoes instead of going off the stated size of 14.5. I wear a size 14 in every street shoe I own. If their is one piece of advise I can give, if you are shopping online it would be prudent to measure your foot first and buy according to the manufacturers listed length in cm's. Since it seems manufacturers have a difference of opinion as to sizing, whether it is from shoe design or some other reason, I don't see any other way of obtaining the true size of the shoe.

Not all manufacturers list the inside dimensions of their shoes, so in some instances it takes some digging to come up with the information.

Last edited by flacplnj; 08-12-20 at 07:09 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 01:20 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by flacplnj
You are correct about the difficulty in putting this shoe on. Unfortunately shoes in our size have limited options in manufacturers. There just aren't many shoe models available when you have big feet. The RX8 for instance only comes in the black, no other color options available, also they stop offering a wide option at size 48.

I researched the Louis Garneau Granite 2 after reading your post. What I took away from their listed sizing information is the Granite 2 does come in a size 50, but the length of the shoe is only 30.5 cm ( as depicted in your picture), where as RX8 is 31.7 cm in length. The Granite 2 also states this shoe fits a US 13.5, which would seem to be more in line with the stated length.

For me it looks as if the Granite 2 is closer to Bontrager sizing, which didn't work out for me. Bontrager only goes up to a size 49, but state that their shoe fits a US 14.5 foot. The shoe length according to the Bontrager listed sizing is 30.5 cm.

After I returned the Bontrager shoes I took the time to measure my foot. My foot length is 30.5 cm, that explains why it didn't fit. I should have measured my foot before I ordered the shoes instead of going off the stated size of 14.5. I wear a size 14 in every street shoe I own. If their is one piece of advise I can give, if you are shopping online it would be prudent to measure your foot first and buy according to the manufacturers listed length in cm's. Since it seems manufacturers have a difference of opinion as to sizing, whether it is from shoe design or some other reason, I don't see any other way of obtaining the true size of the shoe.

Not all manufacturers list the inside dimensions of their shoes, so in some instances it takes some digging to come up with the information.
Huh, good digging. Where did you find the rx8 shoe length? I didnt see anything helpful on Shimano's site, which is typical for them. It may be there, but not where I looked.
Ill have to measure the actual cm length of my foot. With the LG, its the first time since probably 8th grade that i had a shoe which is smaller than a 14...but they fit properly like all my running shoes.
odd.
Old 08-12-20, 02:37 PM
flacplnj

Huh, good digging. Where did you find the rx8 shoe length? I didnt see anything helpful on Shimano's site, which is typical for them. It may be there, but not where I looked.
Ill have to measure the actual cm length of my foot. With the LG, its the first time since probably 8th grade that i had a shoe which is smaller than a 14...but they fit properly like all my running shoes.
odd.
For Shimano, I called their corporate phone number and spoke to a live person to get the sizing information. It is on their site, but as a sliding scale so you have to interpret a little, but doable. You also have to dig a little to find it on their site, as you well know it isn't very user friendly.

As for purchasing the RX8 it was a no brainer for me to buy this shoe. I was blessed to be able to snipe a brand new unworn pair off of eBay for $86.01 plus $14.99 priority shipping. Even if they didn't fit I would re-sell them and take at most a minimal loss.

The Louis Garneau sizing is on their site.

I have 17 pairs of western boots all size 14 among dress shoes,casual shoes and sneakers , I also own a size 14 pair of Specialized Works mountain bike shoes size 14. They all fit me great.
Until the Bontrager fiasco I didn't realize the large gap in sizes between cycling shoe manufactures. Maybe it isn't as prevalent in the smaller sizes, but I expect it probably is. I know one thing, I will only buy by my foot length from now on. It's the only sure way for a good fit, IMO.