Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Gravel Bike, non made in China

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Old 08-09-20, 09:16 AM
Offbeat2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello I'm looking for a gravel bike, however, I'm tired of seeing the "made in China." Can anyone advice of which is a good med price gravel bike that is not made in China. I know that Focus is German made are there others?

Also does anyone know where are Rocky Mountain bikes built, as I've been looking at the RC Solo. I've contacted them and they've only replied built in Asia. I don't mind Taiwan as I've quite happy with their products. It's just so sad to see the loss of the made is US, or Europe, in respect to mainstream bikes. I know it's the cost factor but still.

Any help will be much appreciated. Safe Biking All!
Old 08-09-20, 11:06 AM
flacplnj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Rocky Mountain bikes are made in Taiwan. My Trek Checkpoint SL6 is made in Taiwan. I would say a good portion are made in Taiwan.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 08-09-20, 11:30 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Are Giant bikes all made in Taiwan?
Old 08-09-20, 11:38 AM
flacplnj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
Are Giant bikes all made in Taiwan?
Taiwan, Netherlands and China, according to the web.
Likes For flacplnj:
Old 08-09-20, 12:12 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Offbeat2020
Hello I'm looking for a gravel bike, however, I'm tired of seeing the "made in China." Can anyone advice of which is a good med price gravel bike that is not made in China. I know that Focus is German made are there others?

Also does anyone know where are Rocky Mountain bikes built, as I've been looking at the RC Solo. I've contacted them and they've only replied built in Asia. I don't mind Taiwan as I've quite happy with their products. It's just so sad to see the loss of the made is US, or Europe, in respect to mainstream bikes. I know it's the cost factor but still.

I highly doubt Focus makes bikes in Germany. If you want want carbon, it is not hard to buy a bike not made in China. Taiwan is not China and there are lots of bikes made there. If all you care about is the sticker, Pivot has their bikes made in Burma - and others are doing this in Vietnam and such. These are all made in China but driven to Burma or such for shipping.

Mid-price bikes - in carbon - will all be from Asia.

You can still get a made in the USA steel gravel frame from Gunnar Cycles for ~$1500, which is a pretty good deal.

If you want Aluminum, the most under-appreciated brand in the USA is Ventana. Great bikes from an absolute great company. Much more affordable than you would ever imagine.
Old 08-09-20, 12:15 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts

https://alliedcycleworks.com/collections/able
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-09-20, 12:23 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Originally Posted by wgscott

Allied is great but not what I would call "med price gravel bike"!
Old 08-09-20, 12:59 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
I thought "med" meant "medical." For a neurosurgeon, it is chump change.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-09-20, 04:28 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Surly gets their bikes from Taiwan.

Last edited by Kapusta; 08-09-20 at 05:51 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 04:30 PM
srode1
Gravel Rocks

Bikes: Trek Domane and Crockett, BH G7, Niner RLT9, RLT9 RDO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Most US Made frames are going to be on the higher end. Lynsky would be one option, Ritchey, Moots.
Old 08-09-20, 06:11 PM
Offbeat2020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks very much everyone for advise and help.
Old 08-09-20, 06:13 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
US made frame Co-Motion Klatch, but the frame take your whole budget. Richard Sachs get pricey. Anderson if you are interested in Stainless Steel. An American made frame and assembled in US will land you at about 2x your budget, maybe more.

I do not believe Ritchey are going to be US made.

I hope you have no aversion to all of the Chinese made parts that are going to go on that Tiwanese-assembled bike.

Chris King BB, and Hubs are a good start. Or Phil Wood. There are a few American Wheelsets, American Classic closed their doors a few years ago unfortunatelly..
Old 08-09-20, 06:43 PM
Offbeat2020

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dwmckee
US made frame Co-Motion Klatch, but the frame take your whole budget. Richard Sachs get pricey. Anderson if you are interested in Stainless Steel. An American made frame and assembled in US will land you at about 2x your budget, maybe more.

I do not believe Ritchey are going to be US made.

I hope you have no aversion to all of the Chinese made parts that are going to go on that Tiwanese-assembled bike.

Chris King BB, and Hubs are a good start. Or Phil Wood. There are a few American Wheelsets, American Classic closed their doors a few years ago unfortunatelly..
I understand that quite likely no matter where a bike is made the chances are there will be something made in china on it. Thanks for you recommendation.
Old 08-09-20, 07:02 PM
vespasianus

I understand that quite likely no matter where a bike is made the chances are there will be something made in china on it. Thanks for you recommendation.
Well, not necessarily. Get a Campagnolo groupset and you have something mostly made in Italy (lower groups in Romania). Tires can be German or Italian made. Wheels can be Italian as well if you go Campagnolo. Chorus with discs is fantastic. With Campag, even the brake cables are made in Italy.
Old 08-09-20, 07:16 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Even Richey uses contract manufacturing in Taiwan..

Yes Campagnolo built a manufacturing division in Romania to cut overhead costs..

Magura and Rohloff are German..
Old 08-09-20, 08:09 PM
bonsai171

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 749 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 70 Posts
The Salsa Warbird is made in Taiwan. Maybe take a look at the Journeymen, it's more mid-priced.

Dave
Old 08-09-20, 08:47 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Norco search xr steel is made in Taiwan. My Norco aluminum fluid was made in Cambodia. I am pleased with both frames.
Old 08-09-20, 08:55 PM
vespasianus

Originally Posted by Gconan
Norco search xr steel is made in Taiwan. My Norco aluminum fluid was made in Cambodia. I am pleased with both frames.
See, I doubt the Fluid was made in Cambodia, but rather made in China and driven to Cambodia to ship and avoid a tax/ tariff. In todays world, it is hard to often determine where something was actually made.
Old 08-09-20, 11:37 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts
Konas are all made in Taiwan. Their QC is also better than most as well. I do love my Libre.
Old 08-10-20, 05:56 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Chumba made in Austin, Texas.

what's your budget? expect anything made outside of Asia to cost a LOT more.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 08-10-20, 06:50 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
See, I doubt the Fluid was made in Cambodia, but rather made in China and driven to Cambodia to ship and avoid a tax/ tariff. In todays world, it is hard to often determine where something was actually made.
I'll bet it's frame was welded in Cambodia.
Old 08-10-20, 07:47 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Hello I'm looking for a gravel bike, however, I'm tired of seeing the "made in China." Can anyone advice of which is a good med price gravel bike that is not made in China.

I don't mind Taiwan as I've quite happy with their products. It's just so sad to see the loss of the made is US, or Europe, in respect to mainstream bikes. I know it's the cost factor but still.
Frames- black mountain cycles, ritchey, soma, all city, surly, and more. Often quality steel frames come from Taiwan.

Brands that are in Taiwan for at least some of the models and you need to check each model- giant, trek, specialized, Merida, jamis, kona, and more.

Frame or full build- Fairlight. Designed in England and made in mainland Europe. Also, Mason is an English brand made in Italy.

There are tons and tons of options available so you can support the loss of US manufacturing in countries other than China.
Old 08-10-20, 08:44 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Motobecane Titanium from BikesDirect is made in Taiwan.
Old 08-10-20, 09:25 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
AlAn bikes Italy

Carbon
Old 08-10-20, 11:29 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
If you are looking for MUSA you can get most things excepting tires, seats, and shifting, but the parts are premium and prices are high. If you are merely avoiding mainland China it’s a lot easier, but it’s still hard to know for sure about the source vs the “final assembly” which has become more prevalent lately to dodge the tariff

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.