Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Can a BMX freestyle bike be used for casual cruising?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-20, 02:19 AM
digaz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am in my mid 40's and grew up in the 80's at the time when BMX and freestyle bikes and skateboarding where starting. I have been riding a mountain bike and a few years ago switched to a road bike, but simply find it those kind of bikes extremely boring. I really miss the feeling I got as a child when riding a bmx bike. I had a GT Performer. I am looking to purchase a bmx bike for casual riding and the occassional trick while riding when I'm bored. Nothing too technical or crazy though. Would you guys recommend it for casual riding though? I am about 5'7 and I know the trend now is to slam the seat as low as possible. But since I will be using the bike 85% for riding and about 15% for basic tricks I figured that I can just raise the seat higher.
Old 07-06-20, 04:13 AM
wesmamyke

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 76 Posts
Larger wheel "cruiser" would be the way to go. They make almost any variation you could want, 24" wheels, 26", 29", maybe even 27.5".

Most modern 20" bikes do not come with seat-posts that have any usable length to them. You could certainly just buy a longer one though.
Old 07-06-20, 03:50 PM
Bikerider007

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 30 Posts
If you are doing tricks. Definitely go new school. Guys cruise them all the time. I do all kinds of group rides...road, fixed, 20" bmx. The angle of the seat is what makes it ok being so low. You will peddle most of the time standing and then just coast. Just don't drop post or tilt seat too far back.

On the other hand old Performers are great for just a cruise, super long laid back post, short bars but stems were longer. But literally suck for street riding. I'm not downing, I have the Maui blue 87, but it feels weird and outdated now.
Old 08-03-20, 11:03 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
either get whatever 20" BMX bike excites you and replace the seatpost with an extra-long one. most stock seatposts are made short because the customers will never use them with more than 4" of exposed seatpost. if you're going to do tricks on it, put a high-quality quick release seatpost on the frame so you can lower it.

unless they changed recently, BMX bikes tend so use a 25.4mm seatpost and finding a dropper post in that size is unlikely.

SE Bikes makes a ton of fun cruiser-style BMX bikes. you could also get a Fairdale Taj.

There are also 26" dirt-jump oriented mountain bikes that will be more likely work with a full length seatpost. that might not be great for "tricks" but if you want to be able to jump, bunnyhop, and manual on it, that should work.
Old 08-03-20, 03:33 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Bicycle trials bikes have no saddle at all , the jumps of freestyle are the opposite of cruising

no jumps or half-pipes on my Bike Friday (I'm too old) but It has 406 20" wheels
Old 08-04-20, 08:58 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
No - a 20" bmx bike is not a good tool for a grown man to cruise around on. Several companies make 26 and 29" cruisers that would work for this task though

Save the little bikes for actual trips to the jump park.

Most adult males I have seen cruising around on little BMX bikes are either stoners, homeless, or restaurant staff riding to work, with the occasional DUI recipient here and there who takes his kids bike for transportation. Bonus points for all these demographics if the cruising is accomplished with a cigarette dangling
Old 08-05-20, 10:20 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by cubewheels
That can be a problem. Long 25.4mm posts are prone to bending even if you're not doing any tricks (like if you went over a pothole you didn't see).
this is true. your best source for a "long" BMX seat post might be FlatlandFuel. Even then, you might not really be able to get the saddle to full pedaling height like you would on a bigger bike. think long and hard about the amount of miles you're actually going to ride on this bike. if you're going to put any real miles or effort into it, a 20" bike is going to be too small to ever be comfortable. but if it's just for shorter rides in an urban area of a mile or two at a time, a BMX bike with a reasonable, but not full-height saddle will be fine.
Likes For mack_turtle:
Old 08-05-20, 11:14 AM
Cpt.America

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What a fun coincidence. I am in almost the same predicament as the OP and came here to ask the exact same question. I have come here to ask for advice on a basic, non-bank-breaking BMX style bike that I can use to roll around the neighborhood or trail with my 6 year old son.

I am in my 40s, and have no real need for a mountain bike... don't need gears or anything fancy at all. A single brake lever fixie will absolutely do the trick, and I think it would be neat for the boy for dad's bike to look like his bike. Plus, I can pull off the occasional wheelie or two. I will literally be rolling down the road at 3 mph with a 6 year old.

I don't need ANYthing fancy, but don't want a super heavy piece of junk from Walmart, either. I hopped on to amazon last night and found a few redlines, mongooses, etc that seem decent that wont' break the bank. Are these an OK way to go for under 500? My next question, is it appears they come with either 20" or 24"... what would you recommend? (im 6'1' 200)

Last edited by Cpt.America; 08-05-20 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 12:35 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by Cpt.America
What a fun coincidence. I am in almost the same predicament as the OP and came here to ask the exact same question. I have come here to ask for advice on a basic, non-bank-breaking BMX style bike that I can use to roll around the neighborhood or trail with my 6 year old son.

I am in my 40s, and have no real need for a mountain bike... don't need gears or anything fancy at all. A single brake lever fixie will absolutely do the trick, and I think it would be neat for the boy for dad's bike to look like his bike. Plus, I can pull off the occasional wheelie or two. I will literally be rolling down the road at 3 mph with a 6 year old.

I don't need ANYthing fancy, but don't want a super heavy piece of junk from Walmart, either. I hopped on to amazon last night and found a few redlines, mongooses, etc that seem decent that wont' break the bank. Are these an OK way to go for under 500? My next question, is it appears they come with either 20" or 24"... what would you recommend? (im 6'1' 200)

This thread has got links to a few good bikes -- the OP here went with a Redline PL-26 , I personally have a 26" SE OM Flyer. Riding a 20" at your height will get old fast, even if youre just putting along with your son (and kudos to you for wanting to ride with your son - that's awesome man !)

https://www.bikeforums.net/bmx/11933...x-poser-2.html
Old 08-05-20, 12:45 PM
Cpt.America

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DMC707
This thread has got links to a few good bikes -- the OP here went with a Redline PL-26 , I personally have a 26" SE OM Flyer. Riding a 20" at your height will get old fast, even if youre just putting along with your son (and kudos to you for wanting to ride with your son - that's awesome man !)

https://www.bikeforums.net/bmx/11933...x-poser-2.html
Thanks. I have looked around quite a bit more, and found a bike like the redline mx-24. Seems to be a solid built beginner, nothing fancy, but not a piece of crap bike. However... finding bikes in stock right now, for anything less than 3x their normal price, is STRANGELY difficult. I think covid has really spiked sales in bikes and camping gear.
Old 08-07-20, 11:13 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
A few years ago I woke one day and had to have a BMX bike.

NS was a huge learning curve for me. I think I went through 8 of them before I found something that I liked. The game changer for me was when I bought some S&M 11 bars. They look huge and ridiculous but they are tall enough that I can ride comfortably. They also have the long johnson post. Only problem is I don't know if they make these parts anymore?

IMHO if you want that authentic "I'm going to die, but this is awesome" BMX experience you have to get a 20". The 24" Cruises a lot better but is way less nimble. And with 21" tt on modern 20" the 24 won't provide more leg room. The 24 will how ever provide a better seating position.

People will try to sell you on the new 22". You get the worst of both worlds. Less nibble then a 20" and doesn't cruise as nice as a 24".

26" is a personal pet peeve of mine lol. It's a fixie mtn bike with bmx bars. They look the part, but the ride experience is more like a old MTN bike.

I LOVE my OS bikes the best though.
Old 08-07-20, 07:33 PM
paulmalva

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I bought an old Redline Monocog with 26" wheels and a small frame from Craigslist.
With a long seat post, it's very comfortable to ride around.
Then when I get to the skate park or jump area, I can just lower the seat and have a nice stunt bike

You can probably find different frames that will work too.
Old 08-10-20, 05:31 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Originally Posted by cbrstar
A26" is a personal pet peeve of mine lol. It's a fixie mtn bike with bmx bars. They look the part, but the ride experience is more like a old MTN bike.
1. what are you talking about? almost no one rides a "fixie" mountain bike. single speed, yes, but not fixed. a few nutters have FG bikes for cross country riding but fixed gear jumping and street riding is just plain weird. I am sure it could be done, but 99.99% of the 26"DJ bikes you see have coasting hubs, not fixed gear.
2. I've not used one but I can totally understand 26" DJ for dirt jumping. like bike park type stuff with doubles and big gaps, just flowing around a park and bombing stairs. for skateparks and doing spinny tricks and grinds, or course a 20" would be better. I know, I did that kind of thing for most of my life. it really depends on your goals. at this stage in my riding life, if I wanted something that could be used to go short distances in no particular hurry but I could still flow around a skatepark, zip around a pump track, and play around on ditches and curb cuts, I would go for a 26" DJ type bike. I would not assume that every wants to do icepick grinds and barspins, so a 20" is not the best thing for a lot of people.
Old 08-16-20, 01:12 PM
urban_cyclist

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 20” bmx I do some commuting on. I installed a lean back seat post which helps...but it’s still kinda’ cramped. If 22”, 24”, or 26” had been available I would have gone that route.
Old 08-19-20, 10:21 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), 90's Giant Innova (now with drop bars), Yess World Cup race BMX, Redline Proline Pro24 race BMX Cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 186 Times in 130 Posts
Race BMX world sells seat post extensions used for 'warm down' sitting down spinning between heats, usually on rollers. Would probably work for your purposes.
Old 08-21-20, 08:44 AM
gdawg55

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

You sound a lot like me. I recently bought a Redline PL-26 to tool around with my son. I will be out of my 40's in a couple of weeks and this bike fits my needs perfectly. It feels pretty nimble for what it is and rides nice and smooth. Check them out.
Old 08-26-20, 10:15 PM
Cyclepro357
Pro rider

Bikes: 86 miyata pro , 86 miyata nine twelve , Dyno glide deluxe , gt pro elite , 88 gt performer , 79 Schwinn thrasher , 87 mongoose m1 , 95 redline 340 , 95 haro group 1, 84 diamondback formula 1 ,95 gt fueler, 2004 haro nyquist pro , 2006 redline proline

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bmx

Originally Posted by gdawg55
You sound a lot like me. I recently bought a Redline PL-26 to tool around with my son. I will be out of my 40's in a couple of weeks and this bike fits my needs perfectly. It feels pretty nimble for what it is and rides nice and smooth. Check them out.
that must be a nice bike , do you have any picture ?
Old 09-05-20, 04:00 PM
Cpt.America

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I finally found a 24" bmx cruizer. I went with a mongoose title elite 24. I liked the look of the redlines a little more, but those might be out of stock for the next 10 years for all I know. This is just for rolling around the neighborhood with my son, so I am not really picky:

https://www.mongoose.com/products/title-elite-24-m20

Question for you guys, can you help point me towards a new saddle? Something a little taller, and something a little softer. I'm just dad (6 foot tall)... rolling around. Just need something that isn't quite so low, and is a little more comfortable.

-Do I just get a 27.2mm seat post (got this dimension from the mongoose website) that is longer than the factory 250 (maybe a 350?)
-Being 6 foot tall, should I buy a setback post or a straight one?
-Then do I pick any saddle I want? Or are there only certain saddles that fit with certain brand seat posts?
-Do I go steel? alu?
-Are the saddle bars that mount to the top of the seat post all a standard distance apart? Or are there different ones I need to watch for?

For example, will these two work together? (don't laugh too hard)
saddle - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1E76L50A6L56T
seat post - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ANJV6645IUNGA

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by Cpt.America; 09-05-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 01:22 PM
gdawg55

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cyclepro357
that must be a nice bike , do you have any picture ?

Sorry, I don't, but would be happy to take a couple for you if you like. Let me know.
Old 09-10-20, 01:37 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
I built this during my lockdown quarantine. It is a fun bike to ride.
it has a EB-c100 shimano coaster brake, Schwalbe Big Apple tires and a hot chili DH bar.
The seat is a Brooks Cambium.
Likes For bwilli88:
Old 09-30-20, 10:55 AM
sworley

Bikes: 2021 Kona Woo, 2015 Surly Karate Monkey, 2006 Bianchi San Jose, 2006 Bianchi Pista, 1994 Kona Humuhumunukunukuapua’a, 1989 Bianchi Campione d' Italia, 1985 Trek 720, 1980 Cook Brothers 3-bar Cruiser

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I recently had a '87 GT Pro Performer in Dayglo. As much as I loved that bike, a cruiser it was not! At least not for my old bones...
Old 09-30-20, 11:52 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

I finally found a 24" bmx cruizer. I went with a mongoose title elite 24. I liked the look of the redlines a little more, but those might be out of stock for the next 10 years for all I know. This is just for rolling around the neighborhood with my son, so I am not really picky:

https://www.mongoose.com/products/title-elite-24-m20

Question for you guys, can you help point me towards a new saddle? Something a little taller, and something a little softer. I'm just dad (6 foot tall)... rolling around. Just need something that isn't quite so low, and is a little more comfortable.

-Do I just get a 27.2mm seat post (got this dimension from the mongoose website) that is longer than the factory 250 (maybe a 350?)
-Being 6 foot tall, should I buy a setback post or a straight one?
-Then do I pick any saddle I want? Or are there only certain saddles that fit with certain brand seat posts?
-Do I go steel? alu?
-Are the saddle bars that mount to the top of the seat post all a standard distance apart? Or are there different ones I need to watch for?

For example, will these two work together? (don't laugh too hard)
saddle - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...A1E76L50A6L56T
seat post - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ANJV6645IUNGA
you bought a BMX race bike. it's designed to be raced on a BMX race track. there's very little sitting down in BMX racing, so the seatpost is short for that reason. no point in a long, heavy seatpost that will just get in the way when you're trying to manual rollers and float over doubles. however, there's nothing stopping you from putting a taller seatpost on it so you can use it more casually.

any long 27.2 seatpost should work. I'd start with a 350mm long one like that, but you can go longer. how long is the seat tube on that bike, and how high do you need the saddle to be? do the math yourself and see if 350 is long enough. with few exceptions (I-beam, Tripod, Pivotal, some oversized carbon fiber rails, etc), all saddle rails should fit the same way on a standard seatpost.

that couch of a saddle actually looks miserably uncomfortable. it would be at home on grandma's beach cruiser. use a similar saddle to the one you'd put on your road/ mountain bike. or get a BMX saddle. I'm sure Dan's Comp or Empire has dozens of those. BITD, i had a Primo Balance and that was quite comfy for BMX.
Old 11-06-20, 09:46 AM
cycler56

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whole conversations help me more.
Thanks all.
Old 11-06-20, 10:22 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts

I am just throwing this out there but your 6 year old wont be doing 3 miles a hour. Last ride we went on (6 year old and 8 year old) average speed was 10 top speed was like 28 on a down hill. Granted those are my speeds with them and I did pass them both on the down hill. Guess my point is dont underestimate them..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.