Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Your Weekend Ride Reports -- August 8/9

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-09-20, 04:31 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts

Tell us all about your cycling this weekend and the surrounding week ... or other sports!
Old 08-09-20, 04:35 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Saturday -- 4 km walk to the beach and back ... first time in a while.

Sunday -- 12 km bicycle ride ... longest in a while.
Old 08-09-20, 12:08 PM
AlgarveCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Saturday: 90km ride with 848m climbing, average 27km/h steady warm up for the Sunday ride. Just a few friends, one of whom got his first road bike and so it was nice to join him on his first ride. He is a MTB'er normally.

Sunday: 110km, 1400m climbing, average 32km/h, group of very strong riders, about 30-odd of us to begin with before we split up as the pace rose. Regional champion and winner of the last 3 races before Covid and other powerhouse 'dignitaries' including ex-pro's in attendance. Usual stuff, easy chatting in places, furious pace in others. Lost around 4 minutes to the small lead group of 6 on the longest climb of the day but won two sprints on the return home. Still got dropped at the end in the last km by the leaders so never contested the final sprint of the day; bad tactics, attacked, couldn't hold it, got overtaken and couldn't get back on. No legs against the youngsters today but it was good fun. Capped a 500km training week.

Last edited by AlgarveCycling; 08-09-20 at 12:12 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:40 PM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 870 Post(s)
Liked 2,264 Times in 1,268 Posts
Did a great ride today. Thirty five miles of pure joy. I rode my 1972 ItalVega to my shop and switched over to my 1982 Medici Pro Strada. It was pretty much perfect weather except for some dense fog early on but that cleared up.
Old 08-09-20, 08:55 PM
atwl77
Kamen Rider

Bikes: Fuji Transonic Elite, Marechal Soul Ultimate, Dahon Dash Altena

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 164 Posts
Very hot weather this week, so I opted to just go for a short but hard ride this Sunday. 23.22km with 131m elevation, avg speed 33.0km/h. 1.05 IF and 77 TSS. I woke up a bit late so left the house after 7:30am, and by the time I got back the morning sun was already up and it was getting hot.
Old 08-10-20, 01:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
28 miles Saturday afternoon. Really hot and windy but did 40 minutes at an effort enough to push my heart rate just short of redlining. Not my fastest time on that roller coaster loop due to the wind, but pretty close to the strongest I've felt in months.

16 easy miles Sunday, combined with some errands. Pretty tired after the Saturday workout.
Old 08-10-20, 08:40 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Still miserably hot and humid. Saturday I rode out to Upper Tampa Bay Trail for 40 miles. Felt pretty good. Sunday I had very little sleep due to a newly adopted rescue dog. I wanted to do my Picnic to Davis Is. ride, but conked out early on and shortened it to 32 miles.
Old 08-10-20, 08:58 AM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Got up early on Saturday to stay out of the heat for a 31 mile ride in a fasted state. The morning started off pretty cool at 60 degrees but was in the mid 80's by the time I finished. Some learning experiences on this ride about fueling along the ride and felt the fatigue around 20 miles in.

The ride was almost sabotaged 25 miles in when a nail that went through and through the tube and rim tape. Luckily, it found a spoke hole in my carbon wheels and didn't damage the wheel.
Old 08-10-20, 09:33 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
86 miles over to Castroville, north to Watsonville, and back inland. Got a later start than usual and thought it would be sunny at the coast but it was socked in with a cold damp wind coming off the ocean. Had to keep the effort level up to keep from freezing. Just east of Watsonville, it cleared up and was pleasant the rest of the way home. 16.4 MPH average, a bit over 2k climbing.

Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 08-10-20, 12:22 PM
Cowboy905
total Newbie

Bikes: 2009 Look 566 Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
did a 60km ride yesterday from Burlington, ON to near Grimsby, ON. There were 3 of us and my buddy blew his tube and tire our near 50 Point Yacht Club (about 30km out) so I turned back and rode back to the car as fast as possible so i can get in and go pick him up. There's not much around there. The ride was pretty good all things considered and the back half really made me push my speed and heart rate simply because i was really pushing it to get back to the car in record time.
Old 08-10-20, 12:45 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
I rode on the easternmost end of the Illinois Prairie path... This is the section through Maywood Illinois and a few other towns; mostly industrial scenery but it also goes through a couple of blighted neighborhoods. Very few other riders in this section, which is typical. Unfortunately it is very bumpy; paved with asphalt instead of the normal hard-packed crushed limestone screenings used on the rest of the path. And it crosses a few very busy streets which have full-sized curbs so it can be a little tedious.
Old 08-10-20, 01:12 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
Did basically the same ride on both Saturday and Sunday - an 80km loop on country roads NW of Calgary. All newly paved in the past two years, very nice, although the temperature on Sunday morning was only 6 degrees (C) when I left home! It feels too early for summer to be over, I'm only just getting in shape.
Old 08-10-20, 03:29 PM
Clipped_in
Rubber side down

Bikes: are fun! :-)

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 105 Posts
We left town Friday morning for central Utah with no riding during that time. I was however able to get an early ride before we left and it was very nice. The days are hot, but the mornings are spectacular and cool.