Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

OSBB bottom bracket (2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sora) swap for Dura Ace 7700 cranks

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

OSBB bottom bracket (2014 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sora) swap for Dura Ace 7700 cranks

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 10:28 AM
jwible204

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello - I picked up an old 7700 full groupset for $175 a few months back. I'm naive and assumed it would be an easy swap, turns out that is true for all but the crankset. I've spent a bunch of time researching and from what I can gather my bike has an OSBB bottom bracket (or BB30, I'm seeing conflicting information online).

I don't quite follow the path to use the 7700 crankset. I think there's bottom brackets I can buy to adapt but I'm struggling to fully understand if that's true or which one would work.

Here's a pic of my current frame where the bottom bracket is. I can't attach the pic either.

This site indicates that due to the year, it's OSBB, but it also says if there's any aluminum visible than it's a BB30. I can't post the link as I'm too new here.
Old 08-10-20, 02:28 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
So do you see any aluminum? You can also pretty easily measure the BB shell.

Specialized Carbon OSBB was 61mm wide with a 46mm hole. BB30 or alloy OSBB is 68mm wide with a 42mm hole.

That being said, it seems that Dura Ace 7700 cranks use octalink. Trying to fit an octalink BB in a pressfit shell is a rabbit hole I wouldn’t recommend diving into. Look for a 9 speed Hollowtech II crankset like Sora R3000 and just get an OSBB or BB30 to HT II adapter like:

https://wheelsmfg.com/pressfit-30-to...ano-black.html

or

https://wheelsmfg.com/bb30-to-outboa...ano-black.html

depending on what you have.

Last edited by smashndash; 08-10-20 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-10-20, 02:55 PM
jwible204

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok this is excellent. There is aluminum showing, yes. But according to the bluebook website it's OSBB, but that conflicts with another writeup I saw that said if aluminum is showing then it's BB30. I'll measure tonight and see