Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

All City Sizing?

Old 08-07-20, 02:24 PM
Quadzilla2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All City Sizing?

Anyone else have one of their bikes? I just got a 61cm Cosmic Stallion frame that I'm about to have the bike shop build out. When I took it out though it seemed awfully tall. I'm reading now on old reviews of that bike that they run big. I'm 6'3 with a 34" inseam and long torso and arms, but it feels quite a bit like I'd be pushing it being too big, which I've never said about a bike. I always ride a 60-62cm, but I immediately felt like this is pushing the limits and with gravel tires maybe even more so. I can send the bike back, but I'd like to have a better idea of the sizing before I do that, because it is a very nice frame to do a build off.
Old 08-07-20, 04:58 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
put some wheels on it to see how the stand over feels. that would give you an idea, also measure the top tube and compare that measurement with your current bike.
Old 08-09-20, 11:31 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
6ft 5in, 34 inch inseam, long torso and arms. I ride 66cm-68cm size frames. I rode 66cm for most of my life but recently found I'm able to straddle a 68cm horizontal top tube 700c x 40mm tires bicycle without causing pain. In fact for every day gravel and road riding this size fits me fine. However having your new frame built out is a sizeable investment. I've had the experience of building out a new recumbent bicycle that was then unusable because of a height issue with the frame and seat. I believe cyclist2000 has the right idea. That may give you some indication as to how it will fit you. The 68cm frame size gave me more knee room and just fit me better overall. It was somewhat an accident getting my first 68cm bike but now I'm glad I tried that frame size. I had never heard of this brand but they make very nice looking bikes. The Stallion looks to be a top performer in the all road category.
Old 08-10-20, 03:50 PM
Quadzilla2020

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The standover height is the biggest question mark. 863.6 is right at 34" inseam. My P2SL is 800. I have a 34.5" inseam when I measured, but I'm worried I'm not going to leave any room for the frank and beans in an emergency. I was surprised to see the Midnight Special 60 is the same. No other frame in the 60-62 range is within 20-30cm from what I've seen. An inch difference is all I'm worried about, but that is an important inch with regards to the pain that could occur. I'm going to take it to the shop to have him try to get some wheels on it. My old bike doesn't have thru axles so I have to get over to the shop.
I really like the look of the bike, and the fact I got it used save me a $500. I hate to go back to the drawing board. We shall see what happens.
Old 08-11-20, 07:12 AM
TK LP

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 10 Posts
6’-4”, 36” inseam, ride 66cm. The first time I got on it, it felt huge, took about 5 minutes for me to conclude I’ve been riding bikes that were too small.
Old 08-11-20, 10:19 PM
tallbikeman

Bikes: Modified 26 inch frame Schwinn Varsity with 700c wheels and 10 speed cassette hub. Ryan Vanguard recumbent. 67cm 27"x1 1/4" Schwinn Sports Tourer from the 1980's. 1980's 68cm Nishiki Sebring with 700c aero wheels, 30 speeds, flat bar bicycle.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 102 Posts
The other side of this Stallion dilemma and all other frames/forks without components is the irresistible siren song of the road. Daydreaming the sweet wonderful machine you will conjure up with that frame and fork. It took quite a while for me to acknowledge my addiction to building bicycles up from scratch. I just love doing that and then riding them. If you take a picture of my bikes ten years ago you will see the same frames and forks with some or all new components. I love changing out things and trying something new. The irresistible song of the road. On another note the 68cm tall frames have not presented an issue in emergency situations where your feet may be placed in wrong positions on the ground. My "frank and beans" are very close to the top bar but it really has not been a problem. I road and gravel ride high top tube bicycle frames without incident. If however you intend to do some easier single track Mountain bike trails then the high top tube is not my recommendation. Mountain biking with a high top tube bicycle is dangerous.
Old 01-26-21, 07:00 PM
TourDeHood

Bikes: Surly Midnight Special, All-City Big Block, Surly Karate Monkey (sold), Kona Jake(gone)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
6’2.5 here and both surly and all city run big for me.
im a 61 in everything else but a 58 in All city big block and surly Midnight special