Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

RACOON CRASH 2nd time ...!

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

RACOON CRASH 2nd time ...!

Old 08-04-20, 12:22 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Let us know what the doc says about your vertigo. Get well soon- those bikes need you!
Old 08-04-20, 03:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
It took me the better of five months to really get back to feeling normal after my crash in July of 2019. I didn't get on a bike until February of this year. I finally feel healthy again with some regular mileage behind me.

If you had a neurosurgeon look at you in the hospital, keep in touch with him/her and ask questions. Mine seemed to be more enlightening about what I could expect and with what I could do. Other doctors were more non-committal in what they told me when ask.

Likewise, talk to a cardiologist if you ever have heart questions. Again, my other doctors are too non-committal with their responses.

Great that you are somewhat okay. Don't be in a rush to do high exertion or high levels of cardio for extended periods of time.

Last edited by Iride01; 08-04-20 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-04-20, 03:50 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3933 Post(s)
Liked 7,254 Times in 2,934 Posts
Originally Posted by trekmogul
Week ago Thursday 25 miles into a early 40 mile bike ride I was taken out by a raccoon at about 20MPH.
Pretty fast for a raccoon. Are you sure but wasn't a red panda?
Old 08-04-20, 03:51 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 578 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
Let us know what the doc says about your vertigo. Get well soon- those bikes need you!
I went to the doctor this am and they removed the staples and sutures from my coconut. This only stung a bit but went fine.. Yes I am still have some issues with the dizziness but I think its slowly getting better but still a bear if i set up to fast out of bed. I am still sore and stiff some but is much better... Thanks for checking in on me..
Old 08-04-20, 04:36 PM
trekmogul 

Bikes: Salsa Beargrease XX1, Trek Eqnuinox 9.9 SSL, Trek Madone 6.9 ,Trek District Carbon, Trek Boone7, Trek Fuel EX9.0,Trek Fuel 9.5, Trek Rumblefish Pro, Trek Remedy 9.9, Trek Equinox7, Trek District Belt

Originally Posted by Iride01
It took me the better of five months to really get back to feeling normal after my crash in July of 2019. I didn't get on a bike until February of this year. I finally feel healthy again with some regular mileage behind me.

If you had a neurosurgeon look at you in the hospital, keep in touch with him/her and ask questions. Mine seemed to be more enlightening about what I could expect and with what I could do. Other doctors were more non-committal in what they told me when ask.

Likewise, talk to a cardiologist if you ever have heart questions. Again, my other doctors are too non-committal with their responses.

Great that you are somewhat okay. Don't be in a rush to do high exertion or high levels of cardio for extended periods of time.
I still feel pretty sluggish and crappy but sure can tell things are on the upswing for me. My ribs and collar bone still hurt a bit but much improved for sure.. The part about having my bell rung is the worst part and i feel its also on the upswing too.... you just don't really know do you what can happen at anytime..?
Old 08-04-20, 04:49 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
I went to the doctor this am and they removed the staples and sutures from my coconut. This only stung a bit but went fine.. Yes I am still have some issues with the dizziness but I think its slowly getting better but still a bear if i set up to fast out of bed. I am still sore and stiff some but is much better... Thanks for checking in on me..

Glad to hear you’re progressing in a positive direction. No reason to push yourself into a longer recovery. Sometimes our bodies know more than our brains, and we should heed their advice. Rest well, eat well, and keep that fire stoked for the days to come.
Old 08-04-20, 06:25 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Ok guys was not going to say anything but knowing me, i have to tell things. Week ago Thursday 25 miles into a early 40 mile bike ride I was taken out by a raccoon at about 20MPH. 10 stitches to the coconut, lots of nasty road rash, fractured left collar bone and quite bruised and battered...I must not have been to bad after about 3 hours in emergency room they had my wife pick me up and take me home.. I am on the mend very well then about 5 days into my healing process, I tried getting up to fast out of bed from being so crazy dizzy. So for the last 3 or 4 days I get some occurring vertigo spells if I get up to fast or bend my head way down to the ground to pick something up... Tuesday I get my stitches out and will tell the doctor about it..

Anyone else have this type of issue about 5 days after a crash...? They did a CT Scan and never said anything about a concussion etc..

Sure missing my biking guys..!
Yet another reason to despise raccoons (aka “cats with fingers”) - hope you’re up and about soon
Old 08-05-20, 05:25 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Litespud
Yet another reason to despise raccoons (aka “cats with fingers”) - hope you’re up and about soon
There is NO LOVE LOSS between me and those nasty bastar...s This is my 2nd time with a brutal encounter with one and the nastiest crash of the 2... I had ZERO chance to do anything as by time I seen him he had already hit my front wheel...
Old 08-05-20, 05:57 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I have hit deer with cars 3 times. In my family, they call me Deerslayer. Sometimes, they try to jump out in front of me while I'm riding, which would be a lot worse.
Speaking of deer, I keep seeing them along the same part of the path I ride frequently in the evenings. Just a couple feet off the path! Last night there was some girl there taking photos of the deer which was standing on the other side of the path from her. They sure seem tame but it would not end well to hit one, or to get hit by one which was startled and decided to run across the path, Those critters have hooves!
Old 08-05-20, 06:47 AM
trekmogul 

So I had no idea until the other day that my Garmin Edge1030 took a hell of a blow from hitting the road that the screen is cracked badly and the unit will not turn on at all..! Good reason to buy one of those new Garmin Edge 1030 Plus..? Also curious if i can recover that crash ride from my old garmin as I never had a chance to save the ride at all..?
Old 08-05-20, 09:00 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Hope the healing continues at a good pace.
Old 08-05-20, 09:20 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 3,297 Posts
Also curious if i can recover that crash ride from my old garmin as I never had a chance to save the ride at all..?
It has a usb port doesn't it? If so, connect it to your computer PC or Mac and cross your fingers. If the computer sees it, then you should be able to open your file explorer and navigate to the /garmin/activities folder and copy out the files in there. Those are your actual rides. The name of the files correspond to the data and time of that ride.

Just copy that to your computer or manually upload it to whatever site you might use.

I use the smaller edge 500 and it didn't get any damage. I know where I stopped pedaling, coasted for a ways at 20+ mph and then came to a sudden stop. Also know the route the police officer took to get my bike home. <grin>

I hope you are able to recover it. I put the info on my handheld gps and went back and walked the area where I crashed to try and make sense of it. In my case I have no memory from about ten minutes prior to the crash till I was in my hospital room.

Back to your 1030.... if you can't access it directly with your computer, does it use an SD card? If so, maybe you can put that in a card reader or other device and hopefully maybe your ride is recorded on it instead of internal memory.
Old 08-05-20, 09:21 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 623 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
Ouch, I hope the recovery goes quickly. I was out last weekend riding in a wooded area. A possum carrying her babies on her back stepped out right in front of me from the side of the road. I had enough time to say "oh sh..." and do a hip swivel. I missed her nose by an inch.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 08-06-20, 05:31 AM
trekmogul 

Out 4 DELIVERY TODAY..!

Needed me some feel good endorphins and arriving today in the form of some new cycling gear...

Old 08-06-20, 07:50 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You'd have fared better here out West, where we only have "suburban raccoons." No way one could have sped out on you, as they so, so, so fat. They waddle when they walk. Had to kill one that managed to force it's way into our attic, it was almost 35lbs.

At least you'll have a good story. I keep falling down because I think I'm faster than I actually am. Would be nice to have a varmint to blame it on.
Old 08-07-20, 11:45 AM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Had to share; hope you can laugh.

Old 08-07-20, 12:13 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4782 Post(s)
Liked 3,899 Times in 2,536 Posts
Originally Posted by dmark
Had to share; hope you can laugh.

"RACOON CRASH 2nd time ..."

Feed that racoon 12 oz of beer and no wonder he's crashing! Buy the critter a helmet, please!

Racoons, skunks and porcupines - fun critters! Just not always on our agenda.
Old 08-07-20, 07:08 PM
dmark 

Bikes: 68 SS, 72 Fuji Finest, 72 PX-10, 77 Pana Pro 7000, 84 Pinnarello Treviso NR, 84 Trek 520, 88 Project KOM, 90 Trek 750, 91 Trek 930

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I have a Jack Russel that would love to have his own beer. He caught a baby racoon and broke it's neck but thankfully the mother was not around or he would have been torn up. The came by later and took the corpse.
Poor thing.
Stay off my roof!

Last edited by dmark; 08-07-20 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 08:25 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I'm surprised to see you had to order a new helmet and new garmin and didn't already have brand new in box ready to go from your supply closet!
And glad to hear you're on the mend!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 08-09-20, 08:34 AM
trekmogul 

Old 08-09-20, 08:36 AM
trekmogul 

Originally Posted by Nachoman
I'm surprised to see you had to order a new helmet and new garmin and didn't already have brand new in box ready to go from your supply closet!
And glad to hear you're on the mend!
Sorry you were surprised but I have about 6 brand new helmets yet however I did not have a KASK like this one and the garmin Edge 1030+ just came out within the last month or so. Quite honestly I am pretty well stocked up on everything but the guts yet to get out and ride with my vertigo that is getting better by the day....
Old 08-10-20, 03:54 PM
trekmogul 

Well guys I made my maiden voyage on a bike after the crash 17 days ago on my bike I wrecked on. Still very sore and just not right but felt good to get out and give it a try yesterday afternoon and this afternoon in the 95F Temps plus a pretty brutal wind out of the SSW....Nothing earth shattering but just darn lucky I can even do this...

Old 08-10-20, 05:59 PM
aboss3

Bikes: 2019 BMC Teammachine 02, 2019 Trek X-Caliber MTB, 2010 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Glad you're back on the bike! Keep it up!
Old 08-11-20, 12:38 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 502 Posts
Well guys I made my maiden voyage on a bike after the crash 17 days ago on my bike I wrecked on. Still very sore and just not right but felt good to get out and give it a try yesterday afternoon and this afternoon in the 95F Temps plus a pretty brutal wind out of the SSW....Nothing earth shattering but just darn lucky I can even do this..................
Glad to read that you are "back on the saddle."

I've been down so many times that when people ask, "How you doing?" my reply is "I'm still vertical so doing good."

Wishing you have plenty of happy miles with plenty of smiles.
Old 08-11-20, 04:42 PM
Carbonated

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Glad you are getting better and are back on the bike!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.