Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Birdy thread

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Birdy thread

Old 07-28-20, 02:28 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
Campagnolo will use a new freewheel body called N3W to allow sprocket smaller than 11t.

The N3W freehub has splines that are spaced like an existing Campagnolo freehub body but the length of the freehub body has been reduced by 4.4mm
The solution found by Campagnolo to fit sprockets smaller than 11t looks very similar to the Moulton proprietary freehub body, also derived from a Campagnolo freehub body, also shorter that also accepts sprockets of 10t.
Old 07-30-20, 08:52 AM
RandomHajile

Bikes: Birdy Classic 21speed(3x7)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by secret_squirrel
i think your hub needs a service. I don’t recall mine clicking in any gear.
I miss spoke.

When I’m not peddling, the clicking/freewheel noise of the chain/hub is reduced on the hubs lowest gear (1)

when the hub is on gear 2-3 the noise when I’m not peddling is normal chain/hub/freewheel fast clicking.

i was actually looking on silent hubs on YouTube last month but have now realised that the hub chain noise is very handy in crowded areas
Old 07-30-20, 03:35 PM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by RandomHajile
i was actually looking on silent hubs on YouTube last month but have now realised that the hub chain noise is very handy in crowded areas
Ah yes. My Alfine 11 is dead silent when not pedaling. Most of the time that's great, but sometimes some noise is indeed handy.
Old 07-30-20, 11:50 PM
Jipe

The clicking noise of the Rohloff hub is also different on the 7 lowest and 7 upper gears which is normal considering that this hub is in fact a 2x7s and not a 14s hub.
Old 08-02-20, 10:43 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
How does one tell the difference between a Mk2 vs Mk3 monocoque frame? Is there a telltale indicator to look for?

Also, for those running 406 rims, whats the max. tire size you can (theoretically) run?
Old 08-03-20, 02:33 AM
secret_squirrel

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
How does one tell the difference between a Mk2 vs Mk3 monocoque frame? Is there a telltale indicator to look for?
There are a lot of subtle differences. The Mk3 contains lots more hydroforming of the tubes. The most obvious for me are the thinner rear swing arms with a bulge for cable routing at the top. Lots of subtle work around the front QR mount too.

Mk2

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birdy_...ller_Birdy.jpg

Mk3

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/7ad068_7049cb0ce1f24eebae8c84667e22a518.jpg/v1/fill/w_740,h_641,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/7ad068_7049cb0ce1f24eebae8c84667e22a518.webp
Old 08-03-20, 03:46 AM
Jipe

Even if both MK2 and MK3 were monocoque, the MK3 is totally different, all parts were redesigned, main frame, fork, rear arm.

Some obvious differences, below pictures of the old MK2:
- the shape of the rear swing arm:

- the shape of the front fork:

- the headset (semi integrated on the MK3):

For the max tire size with 20"wheels, the first limitation comes from the front fork, there is more space at the rear, and it depend if you want a front mudguard or not.

Without mudguard, something like 32mm is the maximum.

With mudguards, 32mm won't fit. 28mm is I think the maximum (I tried with with the original front mud guard and a wheel with Schwalbe Pro One 28x406 and it didn't fit but the Pro-one are actually wider+higher than 28mm, about 31mm on my rims).

Note that as always, it also depends of the width of the rims, wider rims will make the tire wider and flatter what will help.

Pacific Cycles deliver the Birdy R20 11SP with Panaracer Minits (Lite in the pictures, Tough in the specs ???) that are officially 32x406 but I have Minits Lite PT tires on another bike and they are actually only 30mm wide.
Old 08-03-20, 06:18 AM
Kabuto

Thanks for the replies secret squirrel and Jipe. The following bike is being offered locally so I'm sorely tempted. After reading your comments and doing a bit more research, I'm fairly certain its a Mk3 (the disc brakes are the giveaway).

Is there any way to zero in on the actual year model? The seller is a recycle center so is clueless.

Also, whats the maximum saddle to pedal length possible with the Birdy's standard seat post? Are there long seat post options if needed?

Old 08-03-20, 02:13 PM
secret_squirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that’s a Mk3.

There are definitely telescopic seat posts that fit birdy’s I has one on my Mk1 after the first snapped. It was 20 years old so don’t worry!

The mk3 was introduced July 2015, and afaik the actual year models haven’t changed much since then at least in Europe. Given where you are based I’m guessing that’s a Pacific cycles model and I don’t know much about their model years.

In Europe (UK) you essentially have 3 models - the Touring with a fairly wide 10 speed 32-9T with Deore gears and brakes and 2 Hub geared models. Yours looks similar to the Touring but without checking the Rear cassette or Derailleur it’s hard to tell. I think Pacific were much more shy about using the 9t cassette and hubs, so I would guess it’s one of the 11t models they did/do.
Old 08-03-20, 03:45 PM
Jipe

Yes, its a MK3, it has also the 21degree sport stem (better for tall rider) and the new chain tensioner around the chainring.

I cannot see what type of disc brakes it has. Derailleur looks like a Shimano.

Do you have a more detailed picture, do you know how many speed on the cassette (or the list of components), is the frame polished aluminum ?

I also think that its a Pacific Cycle model. Most R&M models have more equipment (mudguards, lightning system, hydraulic disc brakes).
Old 08-03-20, 04:59 PM
Kabuto

Thank you for the replies. The model is a Birdy Standard Disc, which is a Pacific Cycles Japan model. Link below. The cassette is 11-32T 9-speed with a Sora RD.

https://pacific-cycles-japan.com/bir...dard_disc.html

Good to know there are telescopic seat posts available! Hard to find anything online about them though.
Old 08-05-20, 03:42 AM
ninox

Bikes: Spec AWOL comp 2014, Birdy Anthracite, A focus egravel bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
Thank you for the replies. The model is a Birdy Standard Disc, which is a Pacific Cycles Japan model. Link below. The cassette is 11-32T 9-speed with a Sora RD.

https://pacific-cycles-japan.com/bir...dard_disc.html

Good to know there are telescopic seat posts available! Hard to find anything online about them though.
I am 193cm and the standard seat post is fine.
Old 08-05-20, 04:01 AM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by ninox
I am 193cm and the standard seat post is fine.
That's reassuring. Do you know what your inseam length is?

Though not quite as tall as you, with a 91cm inseam, I'm a bit of stork.
Old 08-05-20, 04:34 AM
ninox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not sure, however I think my torso is my long stop. I tend to buy long jeans - 34in - 36in jeans are too long.
Old 08-05-20, 04:41 AM
ninox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some help with birdy rejuvenation

Hi, I have a Birdy monocoque Graphite which was bought around 2006? I one time I changed a few things, including carbon Joseph Kuosac wheels and made the bike 10 speed. However, I was thinking of going back to some steel rims as I find that the carbon wheels dont stop me as well now that I have put on more weight. Where could I buy some wheels? Hubsmith? I am in Australia. Also I wanted to change my brakes but the good rim brakes are harder to find - has anyone used the Paul V Brakes? They are expensive but I do need to be able to stop. (the other option would be to sell this birdy and buy one with discs).
Old 08-05-20, 04:42 AM
ninox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some help with birdy rejuvenation

Hi, I have a Birdy monocoque Graphite which was bought around 2006? I one time I changed a few things, including carbon Joseph Kuosac wheels and made the bike 10 speed. However, I was thinking of going back to some steel rims as I find that the carbon wheels dont stop me as well now that I have put on more weight. Where could I buy some wheels? Hubsmith? I am in Australia. Also I wanted to change my brakes but the good rim brakes are harder to find - has anyone used the Paul V Brakes? They are expensive but I do need to be able to stop. (the other option would be to sell this birdy and buy one with discs).
Old 08-05-20, 04:44 AM
Jipe

I understand that you have rim brakes ?

Did you use special carbon rims brake pads ?

This is needed to ave good brake performances with carbon rims and rim brakes.
Old 08-05-20, 04:55 AM
ninox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jipe
I understand that you have rim brakes ?

Did you use special carbon rims brake pads ?

This is needed to ave good brake performances with carbon rims and rim brakes.
Yes, I have the carbon pads, and the brake surface is fine - my mechanic checked it. I wonder whether at 15years old or so whether I just need new brakes?
Old 08-05-20, 05:49 AM
Jipe

The braking performances with carbon rim is one of the challenges of carbon rims manufacturers.

So each manufacturer of carbon rim has his own solution to provide good braking and also avoid the rim to become too hot. Most carbon wheel manufacturers provide the brake pads adapted to their carbon rims sets of brake pads are usually delivered with the wheels.

I do not know if the rims used by Joseph Kuosac (I guess the rims aren't manufactured by Joseph Kuosac and that they come from some carbon rim manufacturer) have some good solution to provide good braking.

Did you receive brake pads with your wheels or did you buy those brake pads yourself ?

If you bought them yourself, how did you choose the brand/type, was it recommended by Joseph Kuosac ?

If not, maybe another brand could work better. The Campagnolo brake pads provide excellent braking with the Campagnolo carbon wheels, maybe they could also work well with the Joseph Kuosac ?
Old 08-05-20, 08:02 AM
glye

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by ninox
...I was thinking of going back to some steel rims...
Aluminium rims, I guess...? Steel rims may be hard to find in Birdy sizes. Alu rims brake better, too.
Old 08-09-20, 11:31 AM
ttakata73

Bikes: *1998 GT Forte Ti 700c, Totem KDS-D 26" fatbike, BirdyGT 18", Brompton M2LX 16"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Rim brake calipers don't really go bad, you just need to use the pads recommended by the rim manufacturer, but random carbon brands like Kuosac and my Hylix with Swiss top yellow pads will never brake as well as well as alloy rims or disc brakes.
​​​​​
​​​​​​

Last edited by ttakata73; 08-09-20 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-10-20, 04:00 PM
secret_squirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
spare pads here if you need them. SJS are a very reputable UK supplier so presumably Kuosac are too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-bl...-type-2-pairs/
Old 08-10-20, 04:05 PM
secret_squirrel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One option for maximum braking on a rim brakes birdy is a set of Magura’s. Hydraulic Rim Brakes. The best braking this side of discs.

I had some on my Birdy Blue to solve the crappy rear brake routing.

they eat rim sidewalls though.

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop...m-brakes-11682
Old 08-10-20, 11:13 PM
Jipe

Originally Posted by secret_squirrel
spare pads here if you need them. SJS are a very reputable UK supplier so presumably Kuosac are too.

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brake-bl...-type-2-pairs/
These should provide the best possible braking with the JK rims.

With carbon rims its always highly recommended to use the manufacturers brake pads, because its a matter of having the best possible compromise between good braking, wear of the rims and temperature increase of the rim.

The same pads should be used with any rim brakes on the JK rims, also the Magura.

Yes SJS is a very reputable UK shop but last times, the shipment costs were very high.
Old 08-11-20, 02:46 PM
ImplodingVoice

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I found a demoed Birdy bike for sale. I'm unable to test-ride it because the seller lives a 6-hour flight away from me. From the pictures, I identified it as a Birdy World Sport, made around 2015. The seller told me that the bike has only been test-ridden with few miles, but has never been officially sold, or used by an owner.

​​​​​​What is the approximate value of this bike right now?

Is it worth paying the price for this model Birdy, or should I instead invest in a New Birdy (Mark 3) monocoque bike?

Again, I have no ability to test-ride a Birdy bike where I live.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.