Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Helix Update?

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Helix Update?

Old 03-06-16, 08:27 PM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helix Update?

Hey All!

Since we're already in March, where's the Helix? I though it was shipping about now.

Any update from backers?
Old 03-06-16, 09:59 PM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
It's going to be a while. I am not sure that all the final components were chosen yet ( maybe the online portal is not updated ). I'm sure the Shimano 11sp hubs will be a very long wait. I normally wait 5-6 months for Shimano Nexus 8 hubs , once I waited 11 months for Capreo components ( never ordered them again ). These type of delays kill cash flow for normal operations. Helix got customer funds up front, so that was not an issue.

Overall, I expect the bike to be very nice, however I do not expect it to arrive anytime soon.

Thanks,
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 03-06-16, 11:09 PM
jur

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
It's going to be a while. I am not sure that all the final components were chosen yet ( maybe the online portal is not updated ). I'm sure the Shimano 11sp hubs will be a very long wait. I normally wait 5-6 months for Shimano Nexus 8 hubs , once I waited 11 months for Capreo components ( never ordered them again ). These type of delays kill cash flow for normal operations. Helix got customer funds up front, so that was not an issue.

Overall, I expect the bike to be very nice, however I do not expect it to arrive anytime soon.

Thanks,
Yan
Chinese New Year wasn't figured into the component ordering schedule. Also, factory setup and tooling is taking much longer than anticipated. Schedule has slipped 2 months already, and I would expect more slippage especially when they actually start a trial run..
Old 03-07-16, 08:41 AM
BruceMetras

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jur
Chinese New Year wasn't figured into the component ordering schedule. Also, factory setup and tooling is taking much longer than anticipated. Schedule has slipped 2 months already, and I would expect more slippage especially when they actually start a trial run..
One of my customers has one on order.. he brings his Alfa Spider to me with his old school MTB draped across the front seat and back shelf to ride back to his house.. he's really looking forward to the Helix .. his take was that going with a second manufacturing partner set them back a few months.. understandably ..
Old 03-07-16, 08:52 AM
downtube

One variable they probably did not account for was the exchange rate. It ballooned up to 1.48 for a little while, it is back to 1.34 today.....I was really worried that.

Thanks,
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 03-07-16, 12:13 PM
shrooms

Bikes: Two Cannondale Hooligan 8s, IF MOVE

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
One variable they probably did not account for was the exchange rate. It ballooned up to 1.48 for a little while, it is back to 1.34 today.....I was really worried that.

Thanks,
Yan
Yan did you think to bring a quality titanium bike to the market? If yes what were the issues? Thanks a lot in advance.
Old 03-07-16, 12:37 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by shrooms
Yan did you think to bring a quality titanium bike to the market? If yes what were the issues? Thanks a lot in advance.
Let me first say that if you are looking for a Ti folder you should support Helix, I believe this will be a quality product. They will start selling preorders in March. I have investigated Ti frames and it is not easy. The atmosphere affects the weld, hence it is more complicated than steel or aluminum. Realistically I would either do it in the USA or Ukraine. I have connections in Ukraine, and they have an abundant supply of legally obtained titanium ( I learned that there is a large grey market for Titanium that is not "legal" ).

Honestly last year sales doubled, and so far this year we are experiencing another doubling.....so a four fold increase in a short timespan. I have no idea what is going on but we are not setup for much more of an increase. I have a few new models on the way to help round out our offerings, but a Ti project would require too much time right now. Once again please support helix, it looks like a winner and they need support to make things happen.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 03-07-16, 06:34 PM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Let me first say that if you are looking for a Ti folder you should support Helix, I believe this will be a quality product. They will start selling preorders in March. I have investigated Ti frames and it is not easy. The atmosphere affects the weld, hence it is more complicated than steel or aluminum. Realistically I would either do it in the USA or Ukraine. I have connections in Ukraine, and they have an abundant supply of legally obtained titanium ( I learned that there is a large grey market for Titanium that is not "legal" ).

Honestly last year sales doubled, and so far this year we are experiencing another doubling.....so a four fold increase in a short timespan. I have no idea what is going on but we are not setup for much more of an increase. I have a few new models on the way to help round out our offerings, but a Ti project would require too much time right now. Once again please support helix, it looks like a winner and they need support to make things happen.

Thanks,
Yan
I will definitely support Helix or Burke (Seattle Cycles) when they will have finished bikes to sell. It would have been punishment to pay for Helix then wait, hope, and worry. Thank you for the suggestion anyway.
I'm glad that your sales increased. Arm sales also increased several folds. Everything on the market moves in circles, I guess.

Last edited by shrooms; 03-12-16 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-11-16, 09:23 PM
xraytech

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also they should consider Chommoly as an option.
Old 03-11-16, 09:31 PM
xraytech

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, what were the Kickstarter Backing Option?

Nevermind found them...
Old 04-19-16, 08:47 PM
GTizzy

Bikes: Miyata 621 Touring, Dahon Smooth Hound (Demountable)

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Helix backers: what was the April 8th update?
Old 04-20-16, 07:13 AM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Nothing fantastic unfortunately. Just putting everyone in the picture, which is the same picture as last time, sorry, we're busy, some specs changed, big news soon. I moaned and groaned until some pics of the factory setup and boxes of parts were posted.

Very sparse info. No updates to the schedule. He must be a good poker player.
Old 04-20-16, 10:48 PM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
I'll be shocked if this ever happens at anything remotely close to the original price projections. This project feels like it started years ago.
Old 04-21-16, 08:38 AM
ThorUSA
Banned

Bikes: to many

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
when talked to industry folks at the sea otter last week, especially our friends from Canada ... they were not smiling at all.
I is like talking to European friends about current US politics ...

I think ith all that money collected that they should have the time to sen weekly detailed emails to backers
Old 04-21-16, 10:36 AM
downtube

It takes me about 6 months to get Shimano Nexus 8sp hubs, 11sp take about the same time. Helix just finished component selection 1-2 months ago, I am certain the delays are not over. However once it is finished, I am also certain they will have a great product.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 04-24-16, 02:51 PM
Winfried

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 98 Posts
But then, how long has Dahon been working on a copy of the Brompton?

Eight years?
Old 04-25-16, 02:56 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Dahon has been producing actual bicycles people can buy for decades. Helix has so far collected money. Good work if you can get it.
Old 04-25-16, 06:07 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Kickstarter is a gamble. Have a look at the Ultimate Cooler Fiasco.

The best line from the article if you don't want to read it is:
"It’s also a good reminder for Kickstarter enthusiasts: backing a project isn’t a pre-order, it’s an investment in an idea, with a possible reward somewhere along the line."
Not saying this will happen to Helix but you have to admit things are not off to a good start.
Old 04-25-16, 06:24 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by Winfried
But then, how long has Dahon been working on a copy of the Brompton?
Only here on Bike Forums - Folding Bikes would someone use Dahon as an example of a company who can't accomplish things.
Old 04-25-16, 06:54 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by blakcloud
Kickstarter is a gamble. Have a look at the Ultimate Cooler Fiasco.

The best line from the article if you don't want to read it is:
"It’s also a good reminder for Kickstarter enthusiasts: backing a project isn’t a pre-order, it’s an investment in an idea, with a possible reward somewhere along the line."
Not saying this will happen to Helix but you have to admit things are not off to a good start.
This is not a good comparison. The guy running the coolest is a horrible individual, not too many people are at his level.

Here's my honest opinion, I wish Peter would have zoomed into the hinges and explained more in his video's or documented more. However I feel he has good character/energy, so I consider it a fair investment with high probability of success. The exchange rate between the US dollar and Canadian dollar brought my cost down to around $1000, so the investment was lower than expected....however I believe that increased risk by a similar factor ( since component prices were most likely quoted in a currency exchanged with USD not Canadian ).

The fact that they inspected/tested each component means this is going to delayed way past any schedule. FYI I consider this wonderful news, since they are being meticulous. I do not expect my 10sp model before July/August.

Please understand a delay does not mean dishonest or improper. I knew when I bought it the schedule was unrealistic ( due to component ordering ), and there will be no bikes without the components.

Thanks,
Yan
Old 04-25-16, 05:16 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Someone needs to sell their Helix order:

Unfortunate circumstances require that I sell my Helix order. I have an order for two 10-speed models and delivery is included for continental USA. If you (or a friend) have an interest in buying a bike (or two) at investor pricing, here is what I offer: I paid US$2,652.02 [based on the Canadian $ exchange rate at the time of my September 28, 2015 purchase] for the two bikes including delivery (or US$1,326.01 for one), and I would give you that same pricing. I would ask for a US$100 deposit now for each bike. As shipment dates are identified and we get closer, I would ask for the balance of the full payment, and once received I would modify my order to your address for the delivery instead of mine. I realize this will require some trust on your part to accomplish, but I am not out to screw my fellow cyclists, and the fact that I am on a blog restricted to investors should help, yes? It's obviously your comfort level and call. Please email me for questions or other info. BTW, this move is NOT prompted by any impatience or dissatisfaction with Helix, as voiced by several bloggers.
Their email address is available, so if someone want to check this further, I will PM the email address.
Old 04-25-16, 05:38 PM
jur

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
This is not a good comparison. The guy running the coolest is a horrible individual, not too many people are at his level.

Here's my honest opinion, I wish Peter would have zoomed into the hinges and explained more in his video's or documented more. However I feel he has good character/energy, so I consider it a fair investment with high probability of success. The exchange rate between the US dollar and Canadian dollar brought my cost down to around $1000, so the investment was lower than expected....however I believe that increased risk by a similar factor ( since component prices were most likely quoted in a currency exchanged with USD not Canadian ).

The fact that they inspected/tested each component means this is going to delayed way past any schedule. FYI I consider this wonderful news, since they are being meticulous. I do not expect my 10sp model before July/August.

Please understand a delay does not mean dishonest or improper. I knew when I bought it the schedule was unrealistic ( due to component ordering ), and there will be no bikes without the components.

Thanks,
Yan
I think the inventor played his cards (and still is) very close to his chest. He claimed several of the folder's fittings are innovations that are in the process of being patented. As such, he can not make the details public at least until patent applications have been submitted. Another reason he mentioned was to keep the competition in the dark, some of whom would not be stopped by patent laws.

Al very reasonable sounding arguments but the lack of regular comms is inexcusable. His explanation for that is he doesn't want to drip feed the info, but have one big reveal.
Old 04-25-16, 08:23 PM
Joe Remi

So far the "one big reveal" is that this bike is old news not happening. If I were in the market for a nice bike which folds compactly, I'd go buy one. This isn't one of those things.
Old 04-26-16, 03:15 PM
shrooms

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Joe Remi
So far the "one big reveal" is that this bike is old news not happening. If I were in the market for a nice bike which folds compactly, I'd go buy one. This isn't one of those things.
Do you know one we don't? I don't see any titanium bike with disc brakes which also folds compactly on the market.
Old 04-26-16, 04:32 PM
Joe Remi

There is no ti folder with disk brakes on the market. That's my point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.