Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do cable locks still exist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-24-20, 01:44 PM
Texboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

So, there so many YouTube videos that can be easily cut a cable lock with a bolt cutter or cable cutter. Many cyclists and even police don’t recommend using a cable lock to lock your bike. Why the local bike shops are still selling cable locks?
Old 05-24-20, 01:55 PM
Arthur Peabody

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 64 Posts
Stores sell what people want to buy.
Likes For Arthur Peabody:
Old 05-24-20, 02:03 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
They're fairly compact and a lot of them will go around a larger object than a U-type lock will. A lot of people use a cable lock as a snatch-and-ride preventative. That's where someone grabs an unlocked bicycle and rides away.

I use two cable locks sometimes. One goes through the front wheel and the frame and the other goes through the rear wheel and frame. When those are used the bike is not really out of sight or if it is it's not for long. If I was living in a high-theft rate area I'd use U-type locks.

Then again, there are also a lot of YouTube videos showing thieves using an angle grinder with a cutoff disc cutting a U-type lock in broad daylight on a fairly busy sidewalk.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-24-20, 05:20 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
There are a lot of situations in which a cable lock is all that's needed - suburbs, especially higher end suburbs. On group rides, a cable lock can lock multiple bikes at once for, say, a lunch stop. A U-lock can lock only one bike, and it has to lock a bike to something.
Old 05-24-20, 05:31 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
I've used nothing but a cable lock for more than 40 years, in fact the same cable and lock that long, which means no one has ever stolen my bike. Of course I don't live in NY City, but if I did live there I surely wouldn't lock up a nice bike, I would take a $200 or so used bike and lock it up instead because any lock, no matter what you paid for it, can be broken within 30 seconds, which makes all locks these days not that much better than my stupid cable lock!

So your best defense against getting a bike stolen is simply getting a beater bike and lock it up outside.
Likes For greatscott:
Old 05-24-20, 05:32 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
I am looking for a smaller/lighter cable, it's a snatch and grab thing.
Likes For Metieval:
Old 05-24-20, 05:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Why do you ask?

A cable lock is simple and cost effective protection from the vast majority of thieves who arrive without some kind of tool. The ones who come prepared with tools, a cordless angle grinder (not much more expensive than a decent sized bolt cutter) will cut ANY lock in only a minute or two. A professionally equipped thief is going to get your bike anyway.
Old 05-24-20, 05:37 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,283 Times in 7,226 Posts
I use a cable and u-lock combo when I commute in the big city in order to secure the frame and both wheels.

I use a light cable lock when I tour. Not going to carry a heavy u-lock, and it would often be useless in a campground and pointless when there’s hardly anyone (or no one) around.

Contrary to popular belief, there aren’t always people lurking behind every tree and lamp post just waiting to steal your bike.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-20, 05:40 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I hate thieves thievery.
Likes For Gconan:
Old 05-24-20, 05:53 PM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
Stores sell them because people buy them, and because manufacturers provide them. A store that doesn't provide cable locks loses sales on profitable accessories to stores that will carry them.

People who buy them do so because either they (1) are misinformed as to their effectiveness, (2) have a situation where a U-lock would not work, (3) prefer the form factor, (4) make the informed decision that their bike will be safe enough.

I use cable locks to lock my bikes to the wall inside my garage. Someone could easily defeat these locks. But that would have to be someone willing to be recorded by my Ring driveway cam as he approaches the house, and willing to make some noise in the opened garage cutting the lock, all while hoping I don't come through the door a few feet away to resume mowing my lawn.

I also carry a short, fat cable lock when I go to the grocery store out in the suburb in which I live. The grocery has a bike rack adjacent to where workers are constantly pushing carts back into the store. The cable diameter is 5/8ths in thickness, and about two feet total length. Given its size and weight, it may as well be a U-lock, but I bought it in 2001 before I knew that cable locks were inferior to U-locks. I probably wouldn't buy it again. But I own it, and it works well enough for my use-case. I feel safe enough using it for a half hour shopping visit when parked in a high-traffic suburban area.

When I commute to work I lock my bike up in a key-card access cage along with a couple dozen other bikes. Inside the cage we each keep heavy U-locks just locked to the racks. Since it's always there for me, I don't mind that it is heavy and uncomfortable to carry. Additionally, I leave my bike locked up in this cage for 8-9 hours a day. And it's located downtown. In this situation I wouldn't use a cable lock. The security measures at play here are (1) A security guard who walks past and scans a QR code every 20 minutes. (2) A chain-link cage that requires the use of a key card to enter. Only people who have paid for bike storage have key cards to this area. (3) A heavy duty U-lock.

So I do think there are uses for cable locks. I agree they are not as secure as U-Locks. But I keep seeing youtube videos of people defeating U-Locks too. At least with a cable lock I know all I'm doing is discouraging opportunists. I'm not thwarting serious criminals. But neither is that U-Lock.
Old 05-24-20, 05:56 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Locks keep honest people honest. If someone wants your bike, they're gonna get it.
Old 05-24-20, 06:17 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,359 Times in 2,034 Posts
Because it's a cost effect "good enough" solution for a majority of people and their situation.
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,864 Times in 2,578 Posts
I don't sell them. At my last shop where the people who bought for the bike shop weren't cyclists and didn't know enough to do it right they chose to sell them. I told a lady 'Don't buy that cable it won't protect your bike, it will get stolen" and she said "well I am buying it anyway" she of course bought it and then her bike was stolen and she was back a week after saying "I want a free bike because they stole my bike with YOUR lock" and we had to tell her again clearly "we told you not to buy that lock we told you that would happen and you didn't listen".

If were ever to sell a theft deterrent cable to a customer it would be in addition to a good secure lock or for some roadie who is with the bike 99% of the time but may be not in touching distance.

Simply put if people stop buying cable locks shops will stop selling them. I sell the ABUS Bordo Lites if someone needs that light duty lock but actually wants a small modicum of security but generally I don't sell low security where I work, it just isn't the place. Even some "high security" locks are poorly made and easily defeated probably in a lot of cases due to inferior steel or poor hardening and tempering practices.
Old 05-24-20, 06:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,283 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Because it's a cost effect "good enough" solution for a majority of people and their situation.
Don’t understand why that’s not obvious to some. Maybe they have limited experience with/knowledge of different situations and/or are imbued with irrational fear?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-24-20, 06:37 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
As long as there is a demand for cable locks, shops will continue to sell them.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-24-20, 07:04 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

I have one of these and only take it on long rides when I know i'll need to take a meal break.

It's so someone can't just walk away with it. The bike cost $$,$$$ and is covered by my home owners insurance if stolen.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-24-20, 07:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
They're fairly compact and a lot of them will go around a larger object than a U-type lock will. A lot of people use a cable lock as a snatch-and-ride preventative. That's where someone grabs an unlocked bicycle and rides away.
Cheers
For snatch n'ride (as you phrase it), wouldn't a simple padlock put around say the rim of your wheel, accomplish the same thing, yet be much more un-snippable?
Old 05-24-20, 07:30 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
For snatch n'ride (as you phrase it), wouldn't a simple padlock put around say the rim of your wheel, accomplish the same thing, yet be much more un-snippable?
>>> further to your padlock ... i keep a smith & wesson gun lock cable looped to my seat > its light small extra convenient & can wrap to parking meters bike racks & street signs ... i ride fix/ss in urban & i use this for convenience and only to stop bike snatchers > i consider it a "back up lock" that can also secure my back pack if needed
Old 05-24-20, 07:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

For snatch n'ride (as you phrase it),
I also use my helmet strap to attach the bike to a pole of chair so somone can't just walk away with it.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 05-24-20, 07:41 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
They'd then be most likely to just leave the wheel and walk of with the rest of the bike. I saw a guy with a really nice 700C front wheel, walking around a department store. I asked him if he was looking for someone to fix his wheel. He told me he just took the wheel of his UNLOCKED bike so no one would steal the bike whilst he was gone from it.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 05-25-20, 06:58 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
They'd then be most likely to just leave the wheel and walk of with the rest of the bike. I saw a guy with a really nice 700C front wheel, walking around a department store. I asked him if he was looking for someone to fix his wheel. He told me he just took the wheel of his UNLOCKED bike so no one would steal the bike whilst he was gone from it.

Cheers
Yeah, but a lot slower walking a bike with one wheel and a lot more obvious than just riding away. Same padlock I guess you could also run around your chainstay plus a spoke, though more likely to see some damage as a thief figures out it's there.
Old 05-25-20, 07:42 AM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts

... and if you have $$$ to burn these bags are great for pre covid urbanizing bars shops etc > the strap can double as a cable lock & it takes a dedicated thief to cut thru
Old 05-25-20, 07:47 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I've been told the weight of the bike is related to the weight of the lock. The heavier the bike, the lighter the lock. The lighter the bike, the heavier the lock.

Or just don't leave it anywhere.
Old 05-25-20, 07:52 AM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 848 Post(s)
Liked 1,161 Times in 671 Posts
I think cable locks still have value if used sensibly.

Even worse, I use an 18” 145gram Ottolock. We’ve all seen those cut with scissors on youtube.
But it serves its purpose as a coffee shop lock, if I can watch through the window.

Barry
Old 05-25-20, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
Cables keep the grab and run types from stealing your bike! Singling out cable locks is not honest. First of all the snatch and run types dont carry around a large pair of cable or lock cutters. Second a bike thief will carry a battery powered cutting tool, and no matter what kind of lock you put on it can cut thru and cable or lock in less than a minute.

As someone suggested a cable of any sort will keep the semi honest bike grabber honest.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.