Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

What happened here?

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

What happened here?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-20, 08:47 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I just did a front drop out to fat blade a few weeks ago. Here's a shot of my results. Andy
Old 06-24-20, 09:22 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Andy -- your dropout is a wider than your blade. I know people have done similar with the dropout smaller than the blade, but I'm thinking this might be too big of a mismatch in my case. Maybe I'll print out the drawing of the dropout and see what it looks like. It's only approximately 5mm smaller on each side, so maybe it won't be so bad.
Old 06-24-20, 07:01 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Another solution, although far less elegant IMO, is to reduce the stay's diameter with a second tube inserted into the larger portion of the stay. Much like what Bike Friday and Burley have done. Part way along the stay's length the overlapping joint between the big and smaller diameters will be placed.

I forget if this has been mentioned but one could also machine a plug for the stay to make it's end a solid. Then all sorts of shaping could be done with little concerns about structure. Andy
Old 06-24-20, 07:50 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

I did think about using the paragon plugs, but none of them fit.
Old 06-24-20, 08:29 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

A lathe is a beautiful thing. Andy (borrowed from some guy in Australia)
Old 06-24-20, 08:51 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Stays are a weird shape, I should post a pic. They are only round for the last inch or so. I need to cut off a couple of inches.
Old 06-25-20, 02:09 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I did think about using the paragon plugs, but none of them fit.
How about just build up the actual dropouts with weld and then grind/file it to whatever shape you need for a good insertion? The dropouts are nice and thick and can take plenty of heat. And if you don't like it can just grind it off again. Messing with the stays is more of a one-way street.

My first frame had 5mm dropouts into ~10mm holes. Probably a slightly smaller gap than what you have but I just filled it up with bronze and it's fine. The bronze is all in compression down there.
Old 06-25-20, 04:27 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 796 Times in 473 Posts
I don't think anyone is picturing this correctly. If I understand correctly, the stay is a 25mm high oval and the dropout is a 16mm high flat plate. There is nothing that can be made on a lathe(round) that will adapt from one to the other. The only solution, that I can think of, would be to attach a "C" shaped larger tube section to the front of the dropout to make a hood for attaching the stay. The other option is to just find a different stay with a longer tapered section.

I had a similar problem with the flat mount on the aluminum frame that I just built. After cutting the stay to the proper length, the stay was higher than the 25mm hood on the dropout. I had to smash it in the vise to make it fit and the weld bead is still proud of the brake mounting surface.
Old 06-25-20, 07:11 AM
David Tollefson

Bikes: Many... Up to 9 in the stable now

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Here are a couple pics that kinda show what I did with the wide straight stays into a standard hooded dropout:

Old 06-25-20, 07:41 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Originally Posted by dsaul
I don't think anyone is picturing this correctly. If I understand correctly, the stay is a 25mm high oval and the dropout is a 16mm high flat plate. There is nothing that can be made on a lathe(round) that will adapt from one to the other. The only solution, that I can think of, would be to attach a "C" shaped larger tube section to the front of the dropout to make a hood for attaching the stay. The other option is to just find a different stay with a longer tapered section.
You have described the problem correctly. David Tollefson's solution is the closest.
I'm considering 3 approaches.
I was thinking about using the paragon add-on hoods, but I don't think they are big enough. Also going back to the regular s-bend stays. Or fixturing up these stays and brazing on the mounts and see if I can get them to line up properly. Maybe fillet pro would keep the distortion down.

I really need to get my cnc mill working and make something myself.

I'll take some pictures.
Old 06-25-20, 10:05 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

couple of pictures. Not the same dropouts I want to use, but very close to the same dimensions.

Old 06-25-20, 12:00 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
From the pics it looks like you plan to cut the stays on the BB side of the crimped flat mount for the brakes to convert to ISO mount?
Old 06-25-20, 12:48 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Yes, cut off the crimp. I probably would go with the flat mount dropout that isn't in stock though. The ISO dropout is approximately the same size as the flat mount dropout up where I would attach it to the stay.

I was looking at the normal S bend stay in comparison with these. The normal stays have a little more chain ring clearance. They are bent out at the dropout end, which is the main issue I have with them. And if I used the DR1102, it would mean the stays wouldn't be symmetric.
Old 06-25-20, 04:03 PM
wsteve464

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
If you use a regular s bend stay you can use the Paragon conical chainstay plugs between the dropout and stay the plugs make it easy to attach everything and don't look too bad when finished.

The Columbus stays are the only ones I have seen that have the 4-5inches of stay end run parallel to each other, to account for the flat mount.

What don't you like about the Columbus flat mount?