Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Helmets with break-away visors.

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-20, 08:03 AM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts

Or, more precisely, the break-away visor that some helmets have (sorry, can't edit subject lines after posting them).
I've been considering the Kali Lunati helmet specifically and noticed that it features a "break-away" visor. This phrase is new to me and I'm wondering if it facilitates unlimited removal/replacement with the original visor, such as if my desire changes with my mood or, if this visor instead becomes damaged when you remove it and can only be replaced with a new visor.

Last edited by Nyah; 07-20-20 at 08:22 AM.
Old 07-28-20, 05:56 AM
paulmalva

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I think a break-away visor is designed to come off the helmet during a crash and reduce the rotational impact.
Old 08-01-20, 08:45 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Many, but not all, mountain bike helmets have removable clip on visors. I guess they would break away on impact but quite frankly, if I'm about to face plant, I'd prefer a rigid visor to help mitigate the impact.