Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Old 08-02-20, 08:53 AM
pcunite

Bikes: 2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
2016 Salsa Warbird 105

Thinking about a used Salsa in good condition. Good bike by today's standard? Alum, carbon fork, 105.
Old 08-02-20, 09:06 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
What is the maximum tire width you can put on it? What is the asking price?

For reference, their current 105-equivalent (GRX 600, carbon frame and fork) is about $3K new.
https://salsacycles.com/bikes/warbir...arbird_grx_600
Old 08-02-20, 11:09 AM
pcunite

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
What is the maximum tire width you can put on it? What is the asking price?
It can fit 40c, I wanted at least 32c, so I'm good with that. The price is about $900.
Old 08-02-20, 09:42 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Unless you want a carbon frame, I would go for it.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 08-05-20, 05:28 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
They were pretty pricey when new for an Aluminum gravel bike, too close to the price of carbon to sell well, but still a decent bike. In today's market that may be just a bit on the high side, but within a reasonable range.
Old 08-05-20, 09:56 PM
pcunite

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts
I got the bike. It is in very good shape. Yeah, the original MSRP ($2,300 USD) seemed way out of line, but it was 2016 and I was not familiar market prices then. Seems high to me. I may ask some more questions about carbon wheels, seatpost, and such as I get used to the bike.
Old 08-09-20, 07:30 AM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
The Warbird aluminum frame is much better than the inexpensive aluminum frames on gravel bikes that sell for about $1,000 right now. Those better aluminum frames were pushing to the price near carbon frames to produce but were not as good so just about everyone switched to carbon on the high end and lower grade aluminum frames on the low end. Merckx had a really nice aluminum frame back then on the Strassbourg (I rode one for a while) and Cinelli has one now (I spent a day on one), but they are the exceptions out there. Merckx switched to Carbon after two years and the price stayed about the same. The Warbird aluminum did not sell that well or last that long on the market for that reason. Carbon for gravel is a lot better and the good but short-lived aluminun frames are bargains now because of that. Still a great bike but I'd push to the wider side of tires for it and lower pressures. I really did like the Merckx by the way and if you find a good deal on a used one of those GRAB IT!