Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike thefts up by 50%!

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike thefts up by 50%!

Old 08-04-20, 06:00 AM
cubewheels

Bikes: A really old BMX bike and a 2020 Phantom 20" hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 72 Posts
Bike thefts up by 50%!

Disturbing news if you also use your bike for running errands. I do.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/l...n-began-456294

I gave my new bike a fake rust job (using custom textured rust-colored paint) and 1.8m chain lock. Call me paranoid but I live in a very high theft zone. I'd rather keep an ugly bike for many years than a good looking bike that won't last a day in our neighborhood!

Likes For cubewheels:
Old 08-04-20, 06:14 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: '17 Trek

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 45 Posts
With that paint job, I wouldn't worry about the "regular" bike thieves. I'd be more worried about the guys that steal scrap metal.
Old 08-04-20, 06:29 AM
hillyman 
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 166 Posts
Looks ready for next Mad Max movie

Likes For hillyman:
Old 08-04-20, 09:48 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by hillyman View Post
Looks ready for next Mad Max movie
NOw that you said it, I thought, boy, I think I might have made it look even better!
Old 08-04-20, 09:52 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4813 Post(s)
Liked 1,546 Times in 874 Posts
When the image first loaded I thought it was an old moped. I don't know if it's perspective or what, but the brake rotors look absolutely enormous, and the crank arms look about 200mm long. That thing is a trip.

edit: Googled, and it's apparently a 20" wheeled bike... meaning it's actually really tiny? That's even more of a trip.
Old 08-04-20, 11:46 PM
cubewheels

Originally Posted by DrIsotope View Post
When the image first loaded I thought it was an old moped. I don't know if it's perspective or what, but the brake rotors look absolutely enormous, and the crank arms look about 200mm long. That thing is a trip.

edit: Googled, and it's apparently a 20" wheeled bike... meaning it's actually really tiny? That's even more of a trip.
Yes, it's tiny! But it's unbelievably heavy. 40 lbs with the all the accessories like the heavy chain lock and tools onboard. I'm 128 lbs so it's a significant % of my weight, quite a workout on long uphills!
Old 08-05-20, 10:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,278 Times in 798 Posts
Theft is either Opportunistic or Organized criminals , ie organized enough to bring tools to defeat your lock..
Old 08-05-20, 10:25 AM
BoraxKid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels View Post

I gave my new bike a fake rust job (using custom textured rust-colored paint) and 1.8m chain lock. Call me paranoid but I live in a very high theft zone. I'd rather keep an ugly bike for many years than a good looking bike that won't last a day in our neighborhood!
Wow, that is one UGLY bike.
Likes For BoraxKid:
Old 08-05-20, 10:36 AM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 65 Posts
Well, the bike certainly raises suspicion as far as rusting alu and plastic are concerned. I presume being a thief involves some expertise in materials
Old 08-05-20, 10:48 AM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 299 Times in 209 Posts
Here in California bike theft has been decriminalized so the homeless end up with bikes and they strip and exchange parts down in the river bed with cans of spray paint in hand. I passed one with a wagon in tow and hanging out under his stuff was a pair of bolt cutters. Sometimes I see the homeless with a bike in hand while riding another one , police do nothing. Police refuse to take reports of bike theft. I don't have a lock and never leave my bike anywhere but in my garage or shop. If the bike is out I am with it. If a store tells me I can't come in with my bike I find another store. My bikes are very dear to me as I have restored and refurbished them, they are not that valuable money wise up to maybe 1k but to me much more so they are in my sight when not in their stable. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 08-05-20, 10:54 AM
solman

Bikes: Trek 720 Hybrid, Trek FXS-5

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Yes bike thefts are up now. I have seen several posted on craigslist locally with photos, posted as stolen with reward for return. I can't really recall seeing these type of posts in the past.
Old 08-05-20, 12:48 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 65 Posts
The used bike market has exploded over the last few months. Couple that with a tanking economy and high jobless rate, and far fewer people out and about, and stealing bikes + selling them on CL is easy money right now. This is especially true in big urban cities like Chicago and NYC, where there are tons of opportunities and people rarely take notice of thefts in progress.

The good news is that a few basic precautions can greatly reduce your chances of being a victim of bike theft. Use high quality U-locks or a really good chain with lock shackle, and lock your bike up correctly through the frame and both wheels. While any bike lock can ultimately be defeated with a cordless angle grinder, most thieves will just move on to something easier (like anything with a cable lock, which can be cut in seconds with basic bolt cutters that make no noise).

If you've got a recognizably higher end bike and frequently lock it up outside (which is a bad idea...), I'd suggest covering the logos with electrical tape. I'd also suggest rotating your parking location around frequently and not parking at the same rack every day. While most thieves rarely have any idea of the value of bikes that they're stealing, there are some who are more savvy and may eventually take notice of a camouflaged bike parked in the same spot every day. Even if they don't steal the entire thing, fancy pedals, saddle, bottle cages, shifters, etc can be easily removed in seconds with simple hand tools.
Old 08-05-20, 01:23 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 778 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12 View Post
Here in California bike theft has been decriminalized...Police refuse to take reports of bike theft.
wait wait wait.
Are you saying it is not illegal in the syatenof California to steal a bicycle? Like I could drive out there and take people's bikes without any repercussion?
Also, do insurance companies not require a police report to claim a bike was stolen?

If what you posted is actually correct, its indefensible.
Old 08-05-20, 01:27 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: '17 Trek

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 77 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
wait wait wait.
Are you saying it is not illegal in the syatenof California to steal a bicycle? Like I could drive out there and take people's bikes without any repercussion?
Also, do insurance companies not require a police report to claim a bike was stolen?

All that, and more! You can even poop on the sidewalks there.
Old 08-05-20, 01:36 PM
Kabuki12

Bikes: 1973 Windsor Profesional,1976 Kabuki diamond formula with full Campy, 1977 Raleigh Competition GS , 1971 Stella original Campy equip. 1978 Raleigh Super Grand Prix, 1972 Italvega Gran Rally ,1972 Super Mondia Special,Medici Pro Strada

Originally Posted by mstateglfr View Post
wait wait wait.

What it means is that it is no longer a crime but a misdemeanor . IF the police catch the thief they get a ticket or notice to appear and no the police do not give a police report . The thief is not arrested (if caught). Anything under $1000 is not criminal so some thieves have figured out they can go into a store and run out with , say , $700 worth of merchandise and run like hell and even if they are caught get nothing more than a ticket with a notice to appear . I don't know how this affects the insurance part but it is just another nail in the coffin for law and order here. First the homeless bill of rights which means homeless people can sleep any where or in their vehicles in front of your home in a junky RV for 3 days (or more if the police don't come) which has been an ongoing problem here , and now bike theft. There is very little accountability . The proposition 47 has been in effect for a few years now and the L.A. Times and other publications have some pretty interesting articles about it if you look it up. The idea was to reduce the burden on the prisons and jails, good thinking huh?

Last edited by Kabuki12; 08-05-20 at 01:50 PM.
Old 08-05-20, 01:59 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy View Post
All that, and more! You can even poop on the sidewalks there.
Don't get me started!!! you are correct!
Old 08-05-20, 02:06 PM
Kabuki12

But hey, look at the bright side , crime is down!!!!
Old 08-05-20, 02:27 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12 View Post
What it means is that it is no longer a crime but a misdemeanor . IF the police catch the thief they get a ticket or notice to appear and no the police do not give a police report . The thief is not arrested (if caught). Anything under $1000 is not criminal so some thieves have figured out they can go into a store and run out with , say , $700 worth of merchandise and run like hell and even if they are caught get nothing more than a ticket with a notice to appear . I don't know how this affects the insurance part but it is just another nail in the coffin for law and order here. First the homeless bill of rights which means homeless people can sleep any where or in their vehicles in front of your home in a junky RV for 3 days (or more if the police don't come) which has been an ongoing problem here , and now bike theft. There is very little accountability . The proposition 47 has been in effect for a few years now and the L.A. Times and other publications have some pretty interesting articles about it if you look it up. The idea was to reduce the burden on the prisons and jails, good thinking huh?
Penal Code 484 PC, California law defines the crime of petty theft as wrongfully taking or stealing someone else’s property when the value of the property is $950.00 or less. If the value exceeds $950.00, then the more serious crime of grand theft can be charged.

Proposition 47 removed the ability to charge 484 PC as a felony, so if the theft is below $950 it will now be charged as a misdemeanor, which is still a crime and still an arrestable offense. The penalty for this is a maximum of 6 months in jail and/or fines up to $1000. Other states have similar laws and generally theft below $1000 will not be charged as a felony.
Likes For msu2001la:
Old 08-05-20, 02:48 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post
Penal Code 484 PC, California law defines the crime of petty theft as wrongfully taking or stealing someone else’s property when the value of the property is $950.00 or less. If the value exceeds $950.00, then the more serious crime of grand theft can be charged.

Proposition 47 removed the ability to charge 484 PC as a felony, so if the theft is below $950 it will now be charged as a misdemeanor, which is still a crime and still an arrestable offense. The penalty for this is a maximum of 6 months in jail and/or fines up to $1000. Other states have similar laws and generally theft below $1000 will not be charged as a felony.
Yea , good luck with that one. My employee had his bike stolen and that is NOT what the police told us. They DO NOT seek out or hunt down bike thieves. As far as the 6 months in jail , IT DON"T HAPPEN! They are now letting out felons as the jails are beyond capacity. The laws as quoted on the books are not the laws that are enforced on the streets. I am in no way coming down on the police, I have a few friends on the force in Ventura as well as Sherriff's Dept. This is coming down from the Governors office. I can tell you right now there is no bike thief that is serving 6 months unless he punched the officer when he was caught. The laws on the books as you quoted are not being enforced and enforcement is everything or the law is meaningless. That's what I am saying. It is a misdemeanor no worse in law enforcement eyes than spitting, oh yea that's OK too! Just wait it is coming to a state near you.
Old 08-05-20, 03:02 PM
Kabuki12

Originally Posted by msu2001la View Post

I will just add one thing to this as it is a huge problem in Southern California and in other parts of the state. If the person caught is a registered homeless person the chances are very slim that they will be even ticketed. As one officer told me" why write a ticket, hell they aren't going to pay it or even show up". I will let it rest now as I live with this every day in our area. I would rather think about pedaling along with the wind in my face and focus on the good. Just NEVER leave your bike unattended here.
Old 08-05-20, 03:22 PM
flacplnj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
According to California most all parts on your bike cause cancer, but hey go ahead and crap where people walk. If that isn't messed up! Your right don't get me started!!!
Old 08-05-20, 03:48 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
Oh please stop bagging on California. Do you realize what a mess it would be, and the amount money it would take, if CA was to throw all the homeless bicycle thieves in jail? The resources it takes to jail these types of petty crimes is on the order of magnitude higher than the items stolen. Bicycle thefts are the least of society's problem. But leave it to a bicycle forum to make it into end-of-world Cali problem.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 08-05-20, 05:20 PM
flacplnj

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by aclinjury View Post
Oh please stop bagging on California. Do you realize what a mess it would be, and the amount money it would take, if CA was to throw all the homeless bicycle thieves in jail? The resources it takes to jail these types of petty crimes is on the order of magnitude higher than the items stolen. Bicycle thefts are the least of society's problem. But leave it to a bicycle forum to make it into end-of-world Cali problem.
Yes it is expensive to enforce laws. So now we don't arrest people for stealing bicycles, then do we add cars to the list to? Where does it stop? Second I doubt "all" the people that steal bicycles are homeless.

I don't care what state it is, if you don't enforce the laws crime will continue? So are you suggesting to let thieves continue to steal with no repercussions? That in its self is no solution.
Old 08-05-20, 05:32 PM
Troul
:D

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 142 Posts
a lot of walmart bicycles laying around here with broken wheels, flats, bent posts.
Old 08-05-20, 05:33 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by flacplnj View Post
Yes it is expensive to enforce laws. So now we don't arrest people for stealing bicycles, then do we add cars to the list to? Where does it stop? Second I doubt "all" the people that steal bicycles are homeless.

I don't care what state it is, if you don't enforce the laws crime will continue? So are you suggesting to let thieves continue to steal with no repercussions? That in its self is no solution.
Oh so bicycles the same monetary value as cars now? Strawman proposition.

An average stolen bicycle is sold for 5 to 10 cent on the dollar.
https://priceonomics.com/post/303932...tolen-bicycles

Hardly worth the economic effort to arrest and jail bike thieves. Resources are better spent on hardcore criminals. There is a reason why most police don't go out investigating bicycle thefts. Chuck it up as life, live and learn.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.