Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Pays more than one way to DIY

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-08-20, 08:13 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 149 Posts

Was just talking with a friend in PA this morning. We got to talking bike stuff and he mentioned his sister (lives in Balt., MD area) was going to take her bike in for (he thinks) just a routine tune up. Don't know the shop, be he said she asked when she could expect it to be done-and was told OCTOBER! Glad I can do most wrenching on my bike--seems LBS's are really busy-nothing you probably didn't know, but damn-October?

Last edited by freeranger; 08-08-20 at 08:17 AM.
Old 08-08-20, 09:19 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Trek 510 city build, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 1761 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 355 Posts
October will be here before you know it. Nap until then.
Old 08-08-20, 06:01 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11765 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 828 Posts
It'll be sunny here till mid September.
Then rainy (or a good chance off rain) in October.

Waiting means missing most of the rest of the summer riding season.

Have your friend's sister join Bike Forums. We'll do our best to get her thoroughly confused.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 08-09-20, 07:20 AM
_ForceD_

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 95 Posts
I guess itís feast or famine for LBSs. I just noticed the other day one near me is going out of business. The place has been in operation a long time. At first I figured the guy wanted to retire. But I saw on the website itís due to COVID-related bike and parts shortages.

https://pedalpowerri.com/m/PP_Closing.pdf

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 08-09-20 at 07:28 AM.
Old 08-09-20, 08:28 AM
DanielC94

Bikes: Bianchi Imola 2003, Jamis Durango 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If it's not too late I would try and convince her to do a little bit of tinkering herself before sending her bike in for a tune-up. Tune-ups can be relatively easy to do especially since there are so many resources on youtube with tutorials. I think the hardest part is her figuring out what exactly may need more attention if she's still new to biking.
Old 08-09-20, 08:43 AM
Kat12

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts
Yes, this is precisely why I'm trying to take care of some stuff on my bikes on my own. I'm seeing Craigslist ads for bike repair these days, though I don't know what their qualifications may be (one at least claims to have worked as a bike shop mechanic for many years).
Old 08-09-20, 10:51 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 11765 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 828 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_ View Post
I guess itís feast or famine for LBSs. I just noticed the other day one near me is going out of business. The place has been in operation a long time. At first I figured the guy wanted to retire. But I saw on the website itís due to COVID-related bike and parts shortages.

https://pedalpowerri.com/m/PP_Closing.pdf

Dan
Wow, that is sad to hear, and the basic reason given is a crash of the upstream parts supply.

One can't run a bike shop without having tires, chains, sprockets, and other consumables.

If the local wholesalers are unwilling to supply the parts, my first step would be to attempt to develop a new supply chain. And, it might take some work, and increasing stock, but I'd have zero qualms about doing so.

It might mean buying retail to resell, but for a long time there have been complaints about online retail costs competing with local wholesale costs. At least a reseller business should get a sales tax exemption.

Of course, several vendors have worked hard to try to kill off alternative supply chains.

We had a local Mom&Pops auto parts store close due to COVID. I don't know their underlying issues. One thing that happened is that they seemed to temporarily close while other stores remained open. Undoubtedly that created confusion among their customer base, and some might have been slow to return once the doors reopened.

And, I always thought that aging owners may have also chosen to close rather than risk personal exposure to the virus.