School Reopening Guidelines

Old 08-08-20, 02:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 196 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11722 Post(s)
Liked 1,031 Times in 802 Posts
School Reopening Guidelines

What guidelines are schools across the nation using to determine whether or not to reopen?

Initially I thought our local schools had a plan of splitting into half, with half the classes going on Monday/Tuesday, and home study the rest of the week. A cleaning/work day on Wednesday, and half the classes returning for Thursday/Friday. Thus allowing for social distancing, and reducing the number of contacts. Perhaps 2 on, 5 off on days will also help allow symptoms to develop in kids before returning to class. So if a class gets sick, they'll notice it before spreading the disease further.

However, on top of those plans, the governor has issued guidelines of when schools can reopen.
  • 10 or fewer cases per 100,000 people over seven days.
  • Test positivity of 5% or less over seven days.
Locally, our county has 382,000 people, giving us up to about 38 cases a week, or 3 to 4 cases a day.

We were close to a case a day in the late spring, but those numbers have jumped and we're now at just under 10 cases a day, or about twice the state guidelines.

I think the test positivity is close for the county, although I'm not sure how good of a measurement that is.

Anyway, we have one month to get the numbers down. Otherwise, no school for now.

I'm not sure about other counties in the state. I think the Portland area is still struggling with case numbers. Some of the southern counties are smaller, but may be close in numbers. Several of the Eastern counties have been suffering with significant outbreaks.

Anyway, I think most of the schools are pushing back the start date for in class instruction at least one more month. October?
Old 08-09-20, 03:43 PM
Hondo Gravel
Viking Berserker

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 1,219 Times in 790 Posts
Texas has is nailed. once everyone is infected they will close the schools or go remote learning. They are going to start after Labor Day so about 2 weeks later, like that will make a difference. Going to be a mess especially in poor districts where it isn’t common to have 3 generation households.. Some parents are home schooling or if a senior that basically won’t gain anything is just sitting this year out. crazy
Old 08-09-20, 04:13 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '13 Norco CityGlide 8IGH, '12 Schwinn "Speedster" Willy SS

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 679 Posts
So many school districts here, none of my kids in any of them anymore, and I don't feel like reading all the policies that may be changing on a weekly basis.

However, some of the customers of the company I work for are Independent School Districts in different parts of Texas. I have only heard directly from one of my school customers what is going to happen.

Normally, school for this particular district would start in late August. Now, school will not start until after Labor Day and that the entire month of September will be online, at home learning. Students are going to be given computers, ipads, whatever, before classes start. It is scheduled for students to return to in person classes in October. How that will be done, and if it stays on schedule is something to be seen.

My youngest in a local college will start online classes again right after Labor Day. She took an online class this summer and all her classes last Spring became online after Spring Break.

Last edited by FiftySix; 08-09-20 at 04:18 PM. Reason: added link
Old 08-09-20, 05:18 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TOO MANY

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 868 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 280 Posts
My one and only just graduated college and I'm glad she's done. Saves me the extra stress of her being away at an on-campus apartment during this pandemic.
Old 08-09-20, 06:23 PM
CliffordK

Many parts of the country seem to be past the second peak for COVID including California, Texas, Florida, and Arizona.

Unfortunately, Oregon seems to be more headed for a plateau than a second peak.

And a few states are still on the way up.

However, I'm not convinced waiting through September into October will be a huge benefit. Will we head into the third peak? Will see a divergence in paths between the northern states and southern states? Perhaps we'll start a vaccination push around New Years.

Perhaps an option, especially for the younger kids (K-5 or K-6) would be to organize small study groups of say 4 or 5 kids for more of a one-on-one approach to schooling. Could one get teachers to travel around to do classes from different homes? Whew, that would take a lot of organization and a lot of support from parents.

One could do that with older kids, but it would depend a bit on grouping kids with common interests.
Old 08-10-20, 06:39 AM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1077 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 105 Posts
Florida has declined some in terms of average daily positive rates, but the death rate is not declining. It remains to be seen if that will follow.
Old 08-10-20, 10:49 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by jon c. View Post
Florida has declined some in terms of average daily positive rates, but the death rate is not declining. It remains to be seen if that will follow.
Death rate is a lagging indicator, but also an indicator of which populations the disease is spreading in (although the age data should be available somewhere).

Hopefully within a week or two you'll see the mortality numbers decline somewhat.
Old 08-10-20, 11:18 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 518 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 93 Posts
In Hillsborough Co. FL they were going to do online only until after Labor Day. The State Commissioner of Education said screw that. You either open up or lose funding. I expect our Covid rates will start going back up again.
Likes For bikecrate:
Old 09-06-20, 05:49 AM
Bestort
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's hard for kids to learn online.
Old 09-06-20, 09:33 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 254 Times in 143 Posts
A couple of students at our local school have tested positive, and there is speculation that soon everyone will be told to stay home and do distance learning via internet. Even with everyone wearing masks, it's hard to prevent anything from spreading around. Kids tend to be a bit less stringent about preventing spread of disease anyway, so it won't be any surprise if they have to go back to distance learning. Unfortunately it's going to be hard on my wife & I since we both have been working through all this.
Old 09-06-20, 09:37 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by Bestort View Post
It's hard for kids to learn online.
I think they could do it with active and involved parents. But, for many kids, one can't simply park them in their room and tell them to learn something...

I'd hope most parents could pass grade school, but there would be many who would struggle with high school level coursework.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-06-20, 10:11 PM
CliffordK

Our governor has made mighty stringent guidelines to reopen schools.

And, it includes < 10 cases COVID per 100,000 per week. In my county that equates to about 38 cases a week.

We technically would have met the criteria for ten days between 8/18 and 8/28... than as always with this disease, everything blew up again... double the criteria.

It is a sprawled out county, and it is possible that there are school districts in Eastern and Western Lane county that would meet the criteria if they looked at just cases in the school districts.

Anyway, no schools in the near future, and I fear it won't get better as the fall comes up.
Old 09-14-20, 07:34 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 34 Posts
Schools in Japan reopened in June following a hybrid plan, with two day of class, one day of home study. After a month, kids came every day, and now it seems the schedule is back to normal, with some kids doing the 6 day school week. The return to school has caused no increase in cases in Japan.
Old 09-14-20, 09:47 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling View Post
Schools in Japan reopened in June following a hybrid plan, with two day of class, one day of home study. After a month, kids came every day, and now it seems the schedule is back to normal, with some kids doing the 6 day school week. The return to school has caused no increase in cases in Japan.
Hmmm, looking at the data, it does seem as if there was an increase in cases in Japan during the summer, starting with < 100 cases a day in late June, then increasing throughout July, peaking at about 1,762 cases the end of July. And since then dropping again to about 500 cases a day (perhaps a new plateau).

Nonetheless, that is between a third and half the US population.

And, the USA still has about 20x as many cases, population adjusted.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 09-17-20, 12:44 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Moto Fantom29 ProSL hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 651 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK View Post
  • 10 or fewer cases per 100,000 people over seven days.
  • Test positivity of 5% or less over seven days.
Similar criteria are being monitored around here, and it looks like San Diego might be headed into the 'dreaded Purple Tier', due to outbreaks at SDSU
https://www.voiceofsandiego.org/topi...d-purple-tier/

Nothing in there though about elementary/secondary schools.
Old 09-17-20, 03:25 PM
CliffordK

Less stringent guidelines for K-3.

I think Springfield is planning on opening K-1 shortly, and if that goes well, then add more grades.

Of course, the youngest kiddos are so good at spreading germs!!!
Old 09-19-20, 01:17 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 27 Posts
There's no way to gather large groups of people together without spreading the virus. So it becomes a question of values: given that some will certainly get sick and die, is that worth reopening a school?

I don't think so. I'm a teacher; our school district is 'proud and delighted' to be reopening. In our first week (elementary), three people (two staff, one student) tested positive, but that is with very low numbers of tests. One wonders how many cases will have to appear before someone says "stop."

Our school board members voted for us to return to work while announcing that they planned to keep their own children home. They conducted their board meeting via Zoom where they voted to return teachers to schools.

The rationale for this is beyond me. This is a lethal virus. It is definitely going to be present. There is no safe way to reopen a school. So why must I risk my life? Preserving any life is more important than any inconvenience, or perceived setback.

I'm considering resigning, and many took early retirement. The financial penalties for this are significant, and teachers who sacrifice retirement pay have been deeply compromised. My share of pension contribution is 11% of gross pay.

There is no reason good enough to send people to die.