Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Short Wide Road Saddles

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Short Wide Road Saddles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 07:23 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Short Wide Road Saddles

Hello,

Can someone please explain to me the benefits of this trend I've noticed in short wide road saddles, with huge cutouts? How are they better than any other regular length (size) saddle?

Thanks.

Last edited by mrblue; 08-09-20 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 08:07 PM
Germanrazor

Bikes: Trek Madone

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 54 Posts
Old 08-09-20, 08:31 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Saddles are always going to be super personal, so a grain of salt - better for me is not necessarily better for you and vice versa...

The bigger cutouts are helpful if you still get perineum pressure and/or numbness even with a regular cutout/channel.

As far as the saddle length - do you sit on the tip of your current saddle? I often move forward for "on the rivet" stretches, but never slid all the way up to the actual tip on my previous saddles. If anything, the longer tip was an annoyance for me, more prone to catching my bibs during standing/sitting transitions than actually being useful. Also, in comparison to their longer counterparts, most of these snub-nosed saddles are actually a little wider and more usable/comfortable at that forward position.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-09-20, 09:32 PM
mrblue

Bikes: Canyon, Bowman & Colnago

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Saddles are always going to be super personal, so a grain of salt - better for me is not necessarily better for you and vice versa...

The bigger cutouts are helpful if you still get perineum pressure and/or numbness even with a regular cutout/channel.

As far as the saddle length - do you sit on the tip of your current saddle? I often move forward for "on the rivet" stretches, but never slid all the way up to the actual tip on my previous saddles. If anything, the longer tip was an annoyance for me, more prone to catching my bibs during standing/sitting transitions than actually being useful. Also, in comparison to their longer counterparts, most of these snub-nosed saddles are actually a little wider and more usable/comfortable at that forward position.
Ok. That makes sense but I still don't see why the extra width is advantageous. What do you mean by "forward position?"
Old 08-09-20, 09:45 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by mrblue
Ok. That makes sense but I still don't see why the extra width is advantageous.
Extra width for what? For the cutout, it helps if you're prone to pressure/numbness. For the snub nose, it gives some more structural support than sitting on your perineum.

Originally Posted by mrblue
What do you mean by "forward position?"
Many (most?) cyclists will slide slightly forward from their normal position when putting in a hard (seated) effort; also known as riding "on the rivet," a holdover term from a time when ye olde saddles had a rivet on the nose that held the leather in place.