Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

OMAS sealed bearing hub

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

OMAS sealed bearing hub

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 01:29 PM
75lechamp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane LeChampion (silver lilac), 1974 Motobecane Grand Jubile (red/black); 1975 Motobecane Team Champion (orange); 1982 Pinarello Professional (Exorcist Green); 1974 Raleigh Professional MkIV mink blue, 1974 Motobecane Grand Record blk/red

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 172 Posts
OMAS sealed bearing hub

I've got an OMAS sealed bearing hub, which is a first for me. The bearings feel a bit sketchy and I wonder if they can be replaced. Does anyone have any experience with removing these and replacing? How do you do it, and can you find replacements these days?

Thanks,

Andy
Old 08-10-20, 01:36 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
What sort of axle hardware presents itself visually? Usually the axle hardware is removed from one end of the axle and the axle then pushed out through the hub, whereby a metal rod and hammer is used to drift out the bearings.
Old 08-10-20, 02:55 PM
Petit Breton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Hello, greetings from Argentina. OMAS is an Italian brand. I don't really understand what kind of hubs they are if they are road hubs or track hubs. But before the OMAS hubs share the standard of Italian measures, such as campagnolo ofmega gippieme etc. maybe some parts of these components will serve to replace
Old 08-10-20, 10:13 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
The OMAS brand was famous for their lightweight, Ti spindled BB's (although, they did sell steel spindled BB's too.). Might be something to note, in case Ti spindles require any special care to install/use. Not aware of any, but I never owned a BB it Ti spindles.
check the spindle with a magnet to find out what you have.
If the bearings are knackered already, you can just carefully tap them off the spindle with a hammer and drift. Heating up the bearing to expand it could help, if it is stuck hard on the spindle tight. You can the install the new bearings, that you might be able to find a match at a bearing retailer through the numbers on it, and install it by tapping it on to the spindle shoulders with a hammer and properly sized deep socket that matches the diameter of the inner race. Freezing the spindle will help if it is a tight fit. Just make sure you get both bearings completely seated on the spindle shoulders.

Last edited by Chombi1; 08-10-20 at 10:22 PM.