Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is this from cycling in the cold or is there something else wrong? Throat problems

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Is this from cycling in the cold or is there something else wrong? Throat problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-11, 07:03 PM
Streetwaves

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys. Recently I've done some cycling after I get home from work at about 6-7PM. As hot as it is here during the day, it's actually been pretty cool around this time (in the low 60s, high 50s). But here's my problem...

About 3 weeks ago I developed a sore throat, on the part of my throat by my collarbone. It didn't go away for two weeks, and I also realized that occasionally I was noticing my pulse a lot more in my throat. After the two weeks I went to the doctor and they gave me antiobiotics which did nothing.

Basically it's unchanged. Only two symptoms are sore throat in that area and maybe what you'd call heart palpitations. I don't think I'm short on breath, and my heart rate seems to be unaffected for the most part. I do feel the throat pulse more if I do anything physical though, but can occasionally feel it without it.

*But I should mention that I have always been a hypochondriac and feel that anything which doesn't go away in a matter of days is probably cancer, so that anxiety might be causing the heartbeat stuff. I'm also only 21 and have never drank or smoked so cancer seems unlikely, haha.

What do you think? Is it from repeatedly riding in the cold? The soreness is a dull pain, not anything too bad. Just feel it when I breathe.
Old 10-15-11, 08:51 AM
olddurace82

Bikes: 1982 Titan Exclusive (Reynolds 531, Shimano DuraAce EX), 1981 Fuji Excel', 1972 women's Raleigh Sport 3 speed, 1975 Raleigh folder, 1995 Dahon Mariner, 2008 Trek 2.3, 1960ish mens Raleigh sport project refurb.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Go back to the doc and tell them it's unchanged. If they don't listen find another doc. I've been running and riding in cold weather my whole life and never get a sore throat from the cold.
Old 10-15-11, 12:09 PM
Snowman219
VICTORY IS MINE!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dehydration?
Old 10-15-11, 08:19 PM
electrik
Single-serving poster

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sometimes the cold dry air can trigger mild asthma, try a surgical mask or something to slightly warm the air.
Old 10-16-11, 12:15 AM
Streetwaves

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by electrik
Sometimes the cold dry air can trigger mild asthma, try a surgical mask or something to slightly warm the air.
Yeah, I'm starting to wonder about something like that. I've never been diagnosed with asthma but I suppose it's possible. Thanks!
Old 10-29-11, 12:13 AM
JoePeri

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a similar reaction. Cool air below 40 or so always bothers me a little bit when breathing very heavy when climbing hills and such on the bike.

I cough a little bit for a day or so after a long ride in that kind of air. Maybe a lot of is has to do with the dryness of the air as much as it does the temp. Aside from the cough, it doesn't seem to be a serious thing.

Drink more often on your ride when you notice this. That seems to help my issues some.
Old 10-29-11, 01:55 AM
Ratchet
stupid after seven

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
IF caffeine helps, it could be asthma... not diagnosing here, but it is a bronchodilator, so you'll know pretty quickly (like within minutes).
Old 10-29-11, 02:29 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Seeing as 50-60 degrees isn't cold, I doubt riding in those temperatures would have anything to do with that.

And I doubt that you'd feel heart palpatations in your throat.

Could be just a cold or allergies. I've been fighting a cold now for 8 weeks.
Old 10-29-11, 10:13 AM
venturi95
Firm but gentle

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Tuscany, Soma Pescadero, Pure Cycles disc road, Jamis hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 60 Posts
Not knowing the first thing about your satisfaction and/or confidence with your current caregiver makes me hesitant to say this:
I would recommend seeing someone else who has experience with respiratory ailments in your area. If it were me personally I would not be adverse to getting an x-ray next time at the doc's. I have had some tough-to-diagnose conditions with my throat, bronchia, and lungs over the years.