Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

belt drive?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-17, 11:35 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
belt drive?

I am looking at the Trek Zektor. They have two models that are belt drive. My question is how does the belt drive gear ratio compare to that of say a 46X17 SS/FG? The Zektor SSB lists the specs as 68t crank a 28t cassette. I know darn well that can be comparable to a chain driven bike, because it would take a gorilla to pedal it.
Old 04-24-17, 06:20 AM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Never seen a belt-drive bike with a tensioner before...weird. But you gotta give Trek credit - even though belt-drive just can't seem to catch on for road-going SS, they keep trying

Anyway...inches is inches - will be the same for proportionally big ring/cog combos as for small

Find a gear/inch calculator and input those numbers and you will find that it is actually rather small compared to your 46/17

Hope you end up getting one of those bikes - I, for one, would like to hear more about if it works well in real life. Have fun & good luck...
Old 04-24-17, 07:26 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,012 Times in 1,635 Posts
Yup, that's actually a pretty low gear for a ss. Cool bike.
Old 04-24-17, 09:55 AM
dieselgoat

Bikes: Too damn many to list, seriously.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 14 Posts
You are right. 68X28=65.60 gear inches. My SS is 46X17 which is 72.44 gear inches.
Old 04-24-17, 10:35 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4352 Post(s)
Liked 3,012 Times in 1,635 Posts
It seems belts have a harder time with smaller diameter gears than chains do, so big rings and big cogs are common.
Old 04-24-17, 08:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 4437 Post(s)
Liked 4,089 Times in 2,727 Posts
I love belt drives, I love disc brakes, I love single speeds, even flat bars can be fun but Trek just can't build a bike well and always have to find a way to cheapen it and make is less desirable while still charing out the wazoo.
For $500 more I can get an Alfine 8 speed, Gates Carbon Belt drive, SP dynamo hub and lights integrated into the fenders, Shimano Hydro brakes, Conti Tires and Ergon grips on a nice Focus. Plus that Focus is only 3 lbs heavier. It is ridiculous how they built a single speed that weighs only a tiny bit less than a similar bike with an internally geared hub and dynamo with fenders. Come on!!!!!

As usual Trek misses the mark and goes straight for the terlit. At least they are good with using the letters A, E, O, D, M, N and making sure any bike shop that sells Trek just sells their product and nothing else. They should instead maybe try to build a decent bike like they used to do a long time ago. Their intro sounds like Donald Trump, seriously: "The world's best bikes come from the world's best bicycle company"???
Old 04-27-17, 02:14 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
You're exactly right, Veganbikes. I had a Trek Soho Deluxe with belt drive and 8-spd Nexus IGH, and that bike had a lot of things going for it. But there were enough little details on which Trek completely missed the mark, so the complete package was a flop. I wanted to love the bike, but we couldn't get along, so I sold it.

I'm wondering about the Civilian Corduroy. Looks like it might be a really good setup. (Don't know if they still make it, but I've seen a few on the used market.)