Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Raleigh Super Course Mixte?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-10, 04:18 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I was going to wait to get a Mixte until this winter but one may have been dropped in my lap. I'll know more next week including photos but I was wondering when I go and look at the bike what should I be paying attention to in terms of condition and so on. I know so little about Mixte's and I want to make sure that I'm not getting screwed. I'm more of a "oh its pretty I'll take it!" kind of person but I really want to be careful.

TIA
Fiona
Old 07-20-10, 04:26 PM
Maddox
Ride heavy metal.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh LTD-3, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile, '83 Fuji TSIII (customized commuter), '10 Mercier Kilo WT (fixed obsession), '83 Bianchi Alloro, '92 Bridgestone MB-1 (project), '83 Specialized Expedition (project), '79 Peugeot UO-8 (sold)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...er-course.html

Super Courses make for great frames to update with modern components, or to restore and ride at factory specs.

Two things to look for:

1) Reynolds 531 decal. The older models are of this higher quality steel. Later models are 2030 or some other heavier, less desireable tubing.
2) Original Brooks saddle. That's always a bonus on old Super Courses, but definitely adds to the C&V points.

Other than that, make sure you know where the rust problems are (if any). Older 531 model will probably have cottered cranks, which you'll have to deal with at some point. Servicing or replacing a cottered crank both require some special tools and/or practice.
Old 07-20-10, 04:31 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maddox
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/retroral...er-course.html

Super Courses make for great frames to update with modern components, or to restore and ride at factory specs.

Two things to look for:

1) Reynolds 531 decal. The older models are of this higher quality steel. Later models are 2030 or some other heavier, less desireable tubing.
2) Original Brooks saddle. That's always a bonus on old Super Courses, but definitely adds to the C&V points.

Other than that, make sure you know where the rust problems are (if any). Older 531 model will probably have cottered cranks, which you'll have to deal with at some point. Servicing or replacing a cottered crank both require some special tools and/or practice.
::face palm:: I should have checked Sheldon Browns site too..thank for the link and the tips..I'm going to write that all out and make sure I look for the things you mentioned..

Oh god! Am I now addicted to Raleighs? LOL
Old 07-20-10, 04:32 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I'm not sure for which model years a Super Course mixte was available. The only ones I've seen on the interweb fit the paint scheme of the '74-76 Mk II. If it's one of those, it'll have some decent components, particularly a Stronglight or Huret alloy cotter less crank set.

Neal
Old 07-20-10, 05:05 PM
Veloria
Lug Princess

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Oh wow Fiona! If it's the real deal, in your size, and in good condition, that is one great mixte to own! Looking forward to hearing the rest of this story - and pictures asap please!
Old 07-20-10, 05:31 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My wife had a Mk. II. I especially like the paint and graphics on them. She finally told after 20 years of marriage and surpising her with a new green Honda Accord for her birthday that she hates green. I sold the frame for $35 and later saw it on ebay decked out as a hipster fixie with a starting price of $600.

Old 07-20-10, 05:57 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
terraskye -
Assuming that bike is in decent condition and fairly priced, I cannot imagine that it will hang around for long.
I hope that it will indeed keep until "next week" because someone you trust (like your mother?) has promised to hold it for you.

- Otherwise you should get in your automobile and scarf it up right now. It's not easy to find any Mixte in '531 - and a SC at that!
Old 07-20-10, 06:41 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by auchencrow
terraskye -
Assuming that bike is in decent condition and fairly priced, I cannot imagine that it will hang around for long.
I hope that it will indeed keep until "next week" because someone you trust (like your mother?) has promised to hold it for you.

- Otherwise you should get in your automobile and scarf it up right now. It's not easy to find any Mixte in '531 - and a SC at that!
He doesn't have it listed yet as its out of town and also needs a bit of tuning up plus he offered to switch out the drop handlebars for me. He hasn't promised to hold it for me and I have no expectations in that regards so I guess I'll have to wait and see...In the meantime I've had another email in regards to another Mixte but its a set(his and hers) though he isn't enthused about breaking up the pair...I only need one though as hubby isn't into vintage bikes

P.S. I'm carfree so I'll be bussing to whereever the bike is lol
Old 07-20-10, 06:42 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
oh in that same regards what is a far offer for the bike if it is indeed in great shape
Old 07-20-10, 07:10 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Veloria
Oh wow Fiona! If it's the real deal, in your size, and in good condition, that is one great mixte to own! Looking forward to hearing the rest of this story - and pictures asap please!
Will keep everyone Veloria as I get more information. I really hope its the right size and in good or pretty good condition..hopefully I'll hear from the seller again tomorrow
Old 07-20-10, 08:27 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by terraskye
oh in that same regards what is a far offer for the bike if it is indeed in great shape
terraskye - Assume also that it's been thoroughly serviced, (and is as clean as the one in GB's post above, but intact as a road bike). Then around here, I would ask $350 and get it - easily .

YRMV, depending on demand in Edmonton.

- If it's not clean and serviced it is worth much less. (I have bought neglected SC's for almost nothing in the past) - but generally, it is hard to find any Reynolds '531 bike for under $200 - much less a mixte.
Old 07-20-10, 08:39 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by auchencrow
terraskye - Assume also that it's been thoroughly serviced, (and is as clean as the one in GB's post above, but intact as a road bike). Then around here, I would ask $350 and get it - easily .

YRMV, depending on demand in Edmonton.

- If it's not clean and serviced it is worth much less. (I have bought neglected SC's for almost nothing in the past) - but generally, it is hard to find any Reynolds '531 bike for under $200 - much less a mixte.
Thanks...will keep that in mind when I look at it..hopefuly its as nice as I'm hoping will be. I'm not in a great hurry though if I miss out as I do need to sell my other bike too but hopefully it will work out or maybe he'll trade...I figure it doesn't hurt to ask at least
Old 07-20-10, 08:44 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
interesting. i have a super course mixte in my parents basement. found it 10 or 12 yrs ago and stuck it down there. it has nice parts, bar end shifters, etc. but pressed drops and the frame is hi ten..pretty sure. I should give it a closer look and take some pics
Old 07-20-10, 09:05 PM
douchebagonwhlz
www.onecycles.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine is 501 tubing, but has forged dropouts and a nice stamped fork. Early 80s I think. 2 X 5 speed. Nowhere near as nice as the green one shown above. Listed it as a drop bar on CL and not much action. thinking about changing to some more playful bars.
Old 07-20-10, 09:17 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Chris Chicago
interesting. i have a super course mixte in my parents basement. found it 10 or 12 yrs ago and stuck it down there. it has nice parts, bar end shifters, etc. but pressed drops and the frame is hi ten..pretty sure. I should give it a closer look and take some pics
Hi Chris Chicago -
The early 70's SC's all had stamped DO's - and they were all straight tubed '531 - so yours may be too. - Love to see pics. Post them HERE also when you get the chance.