Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another Mixte Question

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another Mixte Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-10, 05:40 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Bikes: 78 Raleigh DL-1,Pashley Princess Sovereign,Specialized Globe City 7.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by BigPolishJimmy
I just got done switching the bars and saddle on my mixte:

Not high-end, but still a pretty bike, much more so with these bars and saddle that go with the color of the frame. Terraskye, if you were closer I'd try to sell it to you, but I bet you can do equally well close to home. Keep looking for that Motobecane in blue, once you find it, it will make you happy.
From your lips to the Bike Gods ears Thanks....It may take me a year or two but I'm going to learn patience....luckily I still have lots of things do do with the DL-1 to keep me occupied.
Old 08-05-10, 08:18 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
My wife's Fuji:

With new Panaracer Paselas and a Zefal bag:

Old 08-05-10, 08:40 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh Dear!!

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/bik/1883304998.html

Why can`t I be in SF right now...Anyone on here in SF want to help me get this bike if its still available at the end of the month? lol I should have never opened the link in my email
Old 08-06-10, 05:08 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
The men's Super Course is a wonderful all around design.
Dead right.
Old 08-06-10, 10:31 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by terraskye
Oh Dear!!

Why can`t I be in SF right now...Anyone on here in SF want to help me get this bike if its still available at the end of the month? lol I should have never opened the link in my email
I'll be in SF for about one day on Sept 20. If the seller is willing to bring it to the airport, I can put it on a plane for you. Does that help? You could send him the money today, maybe by paypal.

Mind you, Cupertino is about 50 miles south of SF, and I don't think I'll be renting a car.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-10, 10:41 AM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by noglider
I'll be in SF for about one day on Sept 20. If the seller is willing to bring it to the airport, I can put it on a plane for you. Does that help? You could send him the money today, maybe by paypal.

Mind you, Cupertino is about 50 miles south of SF, and I don't think I'll be renting a car.

thanks for the offer Tom!! I promised my husband though I wouldn't buy anymore bikes until I start working again on the 16th.....I may email the seller to keep me updated if its still available around that time slim chance though I'm thinking lol
Old 08-06-10, 10:47 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Maybe if you write to him and somehow give him the idea that you really want to buy it and are not a flake, he'll hold it. Maybe send him a deposit?

And you should put "mixte site:craigslist.org/bik" in a google alert. It will scour craigslist for you once a day and email you the results.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-06-10, 11:20 AM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe if you write to him and somehow give him the idea that you really want to buy it and are not a flake, he'll hold it. Maybe send him a deposit?

And you should put "mixte site:craigslist.org/bik" in a google alert. It will scour craigslist for you once a day and email you the results.
I will email him today...and LOL that is how I found the mixte...through google alerts best open secret ever!!
Old 08-06-10, 12:12 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Kinda related: Best way to ship a bike up from California to Canada?

Also: Tom I may be PM'ing you "just in case" unless anyone else here lives in the SF/Cupertino area
Old 08-06-10, 12:27 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Mind you, I'm on the east coast, far from California. We'll be visiting my daughter in SF that week, immediately after dropping off my other daughter in Olympia, WA. They'll both be going to school on the west coast!

Old 08-06-10, 12:31 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mind you, I'm on the east coast, far from California. We'll be visiting my daughter in SF that week, immediately after dropping off my other daughter in Olympia, WA. They'll both be going to school on the west coast!

I'll remember...hopefully I can con errr bribe hmmm....find someone to help if the bike is still available and you are busy with daughter school&visit stuff

Now I'm hoping the seller will able to tell me exactly which Motobecane Mixte it is as i cant see any identifiers from the pictures
Old 08-06-10, 12:34 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Oh Dear!!

I'm not familiar with the CA mixte market, but $200 is too much for that particular bike, IMHO. It has good looking paint, but other than that I see nothing particularly special about it.
Old 08-06-10, 12:36 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Oh, I could tell you that. I'll lay 90% odds that it's a Mirage, with 10% odds it's a Super Mirage. I believe the difference is the rims. The one in the picture has all European components except for Suntour derailleurs and shifters. The Super Mirage had aluminum rims. Of course, there's a chance it started out as a Mirage and has been upgraded with aluminum rims. I hope so.

The frame is garden variety 1020 carbon steel. Handling is fairly nice. I had a Mirage, many years ago. It handled BETTER when I put weight on the front. As you may know, it's a French tradition to put your cargo there, so they designed the bikes for it. The steering is such that you turn the handlebars more and lean less than with other bikes. But it's subtle, and not everyone even notices this difference.

ColonelJLloyd, I get $225 for any garden variety mixte here, with any kind of low-end equipment. Mixtes are hot!

Old 08-06-10, 12:42 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd
I'm not familiar with the CA mixte market, but $200 is too much for that particular bike, IMHO. It has good looking paint, but other than that I see nothing particularly special about it.
I'd probably say not special to a keen eye or someone more familiar with vintage bikes or Mixtes than I am however I've wanted a Motobecane for a year now after first hearing about Mixte Bikes and while the Raleigh SC mixte that is for sale closer to may even be a better bike it didn't have the same appeal to me that this one does.
Old 08-06-10, 12:45 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oh, I could tell you that. I'll lay 90% odds that it's a Mirage, with 10% odds it's a Super Mirage. I believe the difference is the rims. The one in the picture has all European components except for Suntour derailleurs and shifters. The Super Mirage had aluminum rims. Of course, there's a chance it started out as a Mirage and has been upgraded with aluminum rims. I hope so.

The frame is garden variety 1020 carbon steel. Handling is fairly nice. I had a Mirage, many years ago. It handled BETTER when I put weight on the front. As you may know, it's a French tradition to put your cargo there, so they designed the bikes for it. The steering is such that you turn the handlebars more and lean less than with other bikes. But it's subtle, and not everyone even notices this difference.

ColonelJLloyd, I get $225 for any garden variety mixte here, with any kind of low-end equipment. Mixtes are hot!

I thought it may have been a Mirage but wasn't comfortable making a guess. and thanks about the mention about front cargo..maybe a Bates Crate would be in order too
Old 08-06-10, 12:55 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

True that. But for $225 are you selling a bike that has been serviced? That bike is $200 and I'm sure needs all the bearings overhauled. Plus it's not going to get packed and shipped anywhere for under $50. I'm just certain there are better deals out there when you consider the cottered crank and steel rims on the Moto. I just bought my wife a mid 80s Bridgestone 300 mixte for $100 shipped. On the other hand, I'm more than making up for that good fortune by throwing money at her Peugeot mixte build! It's all relative, I suppose.

I thought it may have been a Mirage but wasn't comfortable making a guess. and thanks about the mention about front cargo..maybe a Bates Crate would be in order too
My wife's aforementioned Peugeot mixte has the same Weinmann brakes as the Moto. I'm going to mount this as she won't be hauling too much around. That's my job!

Last edited by ColonelJLloyd; 08-06-10 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 01:09 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd

My wife's aforementioned Peugeot mixte has the same Weinmann brakes as the Moto. I'm going to mount this as she won't be hauling too much around. That's my job!

That is a nice front rack!! We're carfree so any extra storage spots on the bike will go far. I have a super bike mechanic too so I'm sure if the bearings need overhauled he will be up to the task :::nudges Sixty-Fiver::: I just have a feeling that finding "my" dream bike will be harder to locate up here in Canada
Old 08-06-10, 01:46 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Colonel, you're right. I sell only bikes that have been completely serviced and brought into perfect running order. (I'm not so great on fixing up the æsthetics.) So yes, it's high, but then again, a good old mixte is hard to find. I actually wouldn't jump on that deal, but I don't know how hard it is to find in Edmonton.

I lie in waiting, like a predator, waiting for prey to walk by.

Old 08-06-10, 01:49 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Colonel, you're right. I sell only bikes that have been completely serviced and brought into perfect running order. (I'm not so great on fixing up the æsthetics.) So yes, it's high, but then again, a good old mixte is hard to find. I actually wouldn't jump on that deal, but I don't know how hard it is to find in Edmonton.

I lie in waiting, like a predator, waiting for prey to walk by.
Tom, The seller just emailed me back and mentioned he couldn't find any identifies on the bike to see if it was a Mirage or not.

Is there any other way he could confirm?

TiA
Old 08-06-10, 01:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

It's definitely either a Mirage or a Super Mirage. As I said, 90% chance it's a Mirage. If it has aluminum rims, then good. Ask him to put a magnet to the rims. I can see the rest from here and can confirm that it's a Mirage frame.

Old 08-06-10, 02:05 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
It's definitely either a Mirage or a Super Mirage. As I said, 90% chance it's a Mirage. If it has aluminum rims, then good. Ask him to put a magnet to the rims. I can see the rest from here and can confirm that it's a Mirage frame.
Cottered steel cranks, stem shifters, turkey levers, claw derailleur hanger = steel rims (unless a prior owner replaced them).

Dirty bike, I would assume it has mechanical issues. Probably nothing serious, but will need a full service: bearings, grease, cables, housings, etc.

Tires recently replaced, and they don't even match??

Price is OK for San Fran, any regular market, no way.

Appeal of a french bike from that era? It will have the typical French bike issues: French bottom bracket, French headset, oddball french thread pedals. While I have owned several french bikes from that era, I really prefer the mid 80s or newer when they migrated to standard sizing.

Last edited by wrk101; 08-06-10 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-06-10, 02:06 PM
michael k

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My Mirage ('75 0r '76)has no Model markings what so ever but, it does have english threading on the BB which made it simpler to upgrade the cranks.

Old 08-06-10, 02:22 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wrk101
Cottered steel cranks, stem shifters, turkey levers, claw derailleur hanger = steel rims (unless a prior owner replaced them).

Dirty bike, I would assume it has mechanical issues. Probably nothing serious, but will need a full service: bearings, grease, cables, housings, etc.

Tires recently replaced, and they don't even match??

Price is OK for San Fran, any regular market, no way.

Appeal of a french bike from that era? It will have the typical French bike issues: French bottom bracket, French headset, oddball french thread pedals. While I have owned several french bikes from that era, I really prefer the mid 80s or newer when they migrated to standard sizing.
LOL I just noticed the non matching tires...oh my....Should I just put a general C&V shout out for a Blue Motobecane Mixte and hope someone comes through?? PLEASSEEEEEE
Old 08-06-10, 02:28 PM
terraskye
Retro Prairie Girl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Magnet stuck to the rims
Old 08-06-10, 08:26 PM
ColonelJLloyd 

Before I put my wife on that bike, I'd upgrade everything but the brakes, levers and stem. You have other bikes. It's my advice to bide your time. Motobecane produced plenty of mixtes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.