Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search
Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Roll Call -- Great Lakes area locals

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-11, 10:51 PM
ImChris

Bikes: Trek Madone, Araya commute

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hometown: Port Huron, Michigan

Where i'm at now: Mount Pleasant, Michigan (Central Michigan University)

Where i'm moving in a day (May 11): Madison, Wisconsin, and boy am I excited!

.Chris
Old 05-10-11, 08:47 AM
mac11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by UptownJoe60640
Work on that and get back to me.

for being so arrogant about living in the city proper you might want to move out of the cheapest neighborhood on the north side and into somewhere with some clout.
Old 05-10-11, 09:16 AM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Bikes: 2011 Redline 925 (Commuter) 2004 Giant Sedona(Fiances)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mac11
for being so arrogant about living in the city proper you might want to move out of the cheapest neighborhood on the north side and into somewhere with some clout.
I have plenty of clout and just because the area hasn't seen as much gentrification as say Lincoln Park or Lakeview doesn't mean the area is completely poor. You have no clue of what you are talking about. Just because idiots who care about the zip code/address (which is EXACTLY what they pay for) decide they want to pay tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars more for their home isn't my problem. Please, take a moment to do a street view of 4250 N Marine Dr Chicago,IL 60613. That is the Buena Park Neighborhood that is apart of the Uptown Community. Look poor to you? How about the intersection of Clarendon & Buena. Look poor to you?

Now, you can go north of Montrose, South of Foster, West of the Lake and East of Clark and be in some shady areas but are those areas completely run down? Absolutely not. Some of those areas have very reasonable real estate with stunning architecture, great dinning options compared to most places in the country, great public transportation, decent schools but most people in the country should consider private anyway, and a diversity of neighbours you cannot find outside of cities like Chicago. Now, do a street view of Broadway & Wilson Chicago,IL 60640. That is one of the worst intersection on the North Side of the City with one of the best Bike Shops in the city close by, The Cupcake Gallery (which are fabulous), all different types of shopping and dinning in the area but guess what? Ethiopians, Kenyans, Russians, Mexicans, Polish and so many other ethnicities in the area so I guess it has to be bad? Wrong, crime can occur anywhere in this city including the richest and ritziest of Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast.

I do not mind being around hard working middle class people. That is who I am and I make no excuse for who I am nor do I plan on changing who I am to make pr***s like yourself comfortable about their existence. So see my friend, like I said before, you can keep Crown Point and stay out of the city of Chicago and any other city in America for that matter since you have specific requirements on what is acceptable when going in to the city. Your kind of people is the problem but fortunately there are a great deal more down to earth middle class people than the snobby rich so I am happy all around about who I am. Oh, next time you want to send me a message and claim I should reconsider my neighbourhood because it isn't up to par with your standards you might want to consider learning how to properly put a sentence together. Have a good day... I will!
Old 05-10-11, 09:42 AM
mac11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right, because i said anything about my preference, or who I am. And who called anyone poor? I think all I said was you are an arrogant ******. Thanks for proving my point. Extolling the virtues of the city don't help your case, I know them. I make a consious decision to live outside city proper. And from your little rant there its pretty obvious you never rationally considered the negatives. I enjoy keeping the money I work for and not living in a 7500sq ft place in a place where I have to worry about street parking my car for a grand a month. When for that I could have twice the space, a garage and a motorcycle. All the while I can still rub shoulders with Ethiopians, Kenyans, Russians, Mexicans, Polish and so many other ethnicities. My cab ride is just a little longer at the end of the night. But if you wander too far outside your hood its probably not.
Old 05-10-11, 09:53 AM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
right, because i said anything about my preference, or who I am. And who called anyone poor? I think all I said was you are an arrogant ******. Thanks for proving my point. Extolling the virtues of the city don't help your case, I know them. I make a consious decision to live outside city proper. And from your little rant there its pretty obvious you never rationally considered the negatives. I enjoy keeping the money I work for and not living in a 7500sq ft place in a place where I have to worry about street parking my car for a grand a month. When for that I could have twice the space, a garage and a motorcycle. All the while I can still rub shoulders with Ethiopians, Kenyans, Russians, Mexicans, Polish and so many other ethnicities. My cab ride is just a little longer at the end of the night. But if you wander too far outside your hood its probably not.
I see we decided to structure our sentences. You know exactly what you meant. You used the word cheap and you know exactly what you meant so don't try and run from it now. I don't see any negatives in living in the city. Not one. I only see negatives for living outside the city. Street parking? Another thing I do not worry about. Garage and motorcycle? You can also keep them. I can get just as much storage space at a storage facility for less money than a garage and have 24 hour security/access but unlike you I don't have to worry about a motorcycle and parking. Who's priorities are in order? You seem to be making the argument that living in your area is much cheaper and more bang for the buck but at first you wanted me to move to somewhere that isn't as cheap and with "more clout". Seems to me your confused about your arguments here. I stay in the city and see no added benefit for leaving the city. Keep Crown Point, your silly garage and motorcycle. I am happy with where I am and if I am cocky about it... your problem! Have a good day.
Old 05-10-11, 10:10 AM
mac11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know exactly what you meant. You used the word cheap and you know exactly what you meant so don't try and run from it now.
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. Poor doesn't describe uptown or buena park or basically anything up that way. Nearly nothing north of 15th could be considered poor. There was no context or reading between the lines needed, but congratulations on doing it anyway.

I don't see any negatives in living in the city. Not one. I only see negatives for living outside the city. Street parking? Another thing I do not worry about. Garage and motorcycle? You can also keep them. I can get just as much storage space at a storage facility for less money than a garage and have 24 hour security/access but unlike you I don't have to worry about a motorcycle and parking.
You just named, about 3. Unlike you I don't have to travel to get my stuff.

Who's priorities are in order? You seem to be making the argument that living in your area is much cheaper and more bang for the buck but at first you wanted me to move to somewhere that isn't as cheap and with "more clout".
Well here's a big shock, you've missed the point completely. I only suggested that with your attitude you should be relocated in the city as there is jack **** uptown offers that many downtown areas of every suburb around chicago don't. Other than being a shorter commute to the rest of the city, of course.

Seems to me your confused about your arguments here. I stay in the city and see no added benefit for leaving the city. Keep Crown Point, your silly garage and motorcycle. I am happy with where I am and if I am cocky about it... your problem! Have a good day
Continuing with my last thought, if you want to stay in they city, thats great. But you have nothing to be cocky about. You're just an ******* for no reason. If you don't see how much more your paying to basically live in downtown Frankfurt, only located way up north of the city, then you're just not paying attention.

You can keep buena park, and you can keep cubs traffic that takes 45 minutes to move from blemont to irving park, and you can keep drunkards stumbling around out of the Riv pissing in your lawn, and you can keep your highest property taxes in the country, and highest gas prices in the country, and highest pension debt in the country, and highest sales tax in the country. Have fun with it.
Old 05-10-11, 10:11 AM
mac11

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and i will keep my silly motorcycle and if i'm cocky about it....your problem.
Old 05-10-11, 10:23 AM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I said what I meant and I meant what I said. Poor doesn't describe uptown or buena park or basically anything up that way. Nearly nothing north of 15th could be considered poor. There was no context or reading between the lines needed, but congratulations on doing it anyway.
Nearly nothing North of 15th is considered poor? lmao You have no clue of what your talking about...

You just named, about 3. Unlike you I don't have to travel to get my stuff.
I don't see any negatives about NOT having a motorcycle, NOT having a garage, and getting more bang for my buck at a storage facility. Oh, I forgot, I might have to walk, ride my bike, take a cab, or a bus depending on what I am bringing to the storage unit. So inconvenient...

Well here's a big shock, you've missed the point completely. I only suggested that with your attitude you should be relocated in the city as there is jack **** uptown offers that many downtown areas of every suburb around chicago don't. Other than being a shorter commute to the rest of the city, of course.
There are so many mother benefits to living in Uptown besides a short commute to Downtown. You obviously have no argument here.

Continuing with my last thought, if you want to stay in they city, thats great. But you have nothing to be cocky about. You're just an ******* for no reason. If you don't see how much more your paying to basically live in downtown Frankfurt, only located way up north of the city, then you're just not paying attention.

You can keep buena park, and you can keep cubs traffic that takes 45 minutes to move from blemont to irving park, and you can keep drunkards stumbling around out of the Riv pissing in your lawn, and you can keep your highest property taxes in the country, and highest gas prices in the country, and highest pension debt in the country, and highest sales tax in the country. Have fun with it.
You are comparing the Uptown area which is nestled between Edgewater, Lakeview, and Lincoln Square to Downtown Frankfurt? What world are you living in or have you even been to the area besides a Cubs game or The Riviera? By the way, I am a Sox fan. I don't have to worry Cubs game day traffic because I have no reason usually in going to Clark/Addison. If I do want to go there I don't complain about the people. Goes with the territory and I would much rather have that than people who are scared to go outside. Most of the pissing goes on around Wrigley but those are the high class people and their piss benefits the grass. We usually don't have that problem up here in Uptown but from the occasional crack head and he is usually no harm. I can deal with that. I can't control the population and what they do. i am sure no one in Crown Point ever does anything remotely like that... do they?

I have no problem with the property taxes, I have no problem with the gas prices because I do not own a car, and all the other things you complain about are okay too. I don't mind the taxes. Having access to what I have access to makes it so worth it.
Old 05-10-11, 10:24 AM
UptownJoe60640
I ride bikes!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and i will keep my silly motorcycle and if i'm cocky about it....your problem.
Old 05-10-11, 10:40 AM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
OK just stop it. I am not reading all this unless I have to but, I never tolerate calling others names, except in certain areas, and this isnt one of them. Try to keep it happy. Thanks Mark.
Old 06-10-11, 05:03 PM
fallsjohn

Bikes: 88 Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Born in the Big Apple.
Lived in East Lansing. I'm relatively sure I graduated from MSU.
Moved to Swansboro, NC with no job.
First real job on Sanibel Island, Florida.
Moved back to Ohio. Yeh, I know....
Moved to Muskegon, MI. Not as cold but a hell of lot more snow.
Now back in Ohio - Cuyahoga Falls to be exact. Not a bad bike locale, but...
Will live in NC again, or out west, or central America, or Canada, or Australia, or Scotland or ...........
Old 06-15-11, 12:58 PM
TuckerCombs

Bikes: Trek OCLV 5500 (Zephyrus), Vilano SS/Fixed (Lester), Hiawatha Gambler (Hiawatha), Fiore Oceanside (Sophie)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
White Bear Lake, MN
Old 06-23-11, 08:26 PM
gizzmotick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the board here... Far north Suburbs of Chicago - Grayslake. Used to ride over 100 miles/week - due to work, now I'm lucky to hit 30, although doing that with better regularity now. Just got into making my own frames... so I'm looking for unwanted bikes and parts.
Old 06-23-11, 10:06 PM
PennyCycler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Between Flint and Saginaw Michigan for me =] New to road biking I actually can't afford one =/ gonna borrow my pastor's road bike for the rest of the summer. I'm so stoked!
Old 06-25-11, 01:03 PM
Henry III
is just a real cool dude

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Don't remember if I ever posted in this thread so here goes. I'm in Neenah which is right on Lake Winnebago between Appleton/Oshkosh.

Last edited by Henry III; 06-25-11 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-27-11, 10:01 AM
William53

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ironwood, Michigan just across the border from Hurley, Wisconsin. Yesterday was the Tour da Lake around beautiful Lake Gogebic.
Old 07-02-11, 09:32 PM
lokeey

Bikes: Mongoose MTB & 2011 Specialized Crosstrail Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheaton, Il. Just under 30 miles west of Chicago. I usually hit the Great Western Trail or Prairie Path.
Old 07-08-11, 05:23 PM
BikingCivic

Bikes: Raleigh M-40

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lake in the Hills, IL...Seconds from the bike trail...
Old 07-16-11, 08:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Boyne City, Michigan. Our town of 3500 has 3 bike shops, a very bike conscious culture and excellent places to ride whether it be cruisers, hybrids, MTB's or road racers. I'm a roadie
Old 07-24-11, 12:28 PM
Bioandbikes
Biker chick

Bikes: 2010 Trek 2.1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Grafton, WI, half an hour north of Milwaukee. Nice rural roads here that I usually ride, but also enjoy riding the Ozaukee Interurban and Oak Leaf Trails. Always looking for riding buddies!
Old 08-03-11, 03:47 PM
Craftsman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Chicago, ride in WI and local skate parks that are cool with bikes.

Check this out:

The kickoff for stateside tour of Bikes Over Baghdad is going to be in Chicago at The Craftsman Experience August 12th and 13th!!! We're building huge awesome ramps! E-mail me a screenshot of you sharing this video on your Facebook page and/or other BMX-related forums and I'll send you a video release form that gets you access on the camera side of the ramp lot. (You'll have to print and sign it and bring it to the event. My e-mail address is emily@suite-partners.com

P.S. THE EVENT IS FREE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=722KIUtu4PE
Old 08-05-11, 01:33 PM
DyingBreed

Bikes: 2000 Cannondale R800 Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just east of Indy, got my first road bike this week and am ready to roll. Going to try out the Hilly Hundred in October.
Old 08-07-11, 07:38 PM
ebrtech

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unincorporated Porter county, Indiana, about 5 miles from Lake Michigan. Nice trail system being developed in this area to connect MI to Chicago. Have alot of rural roads to ride also, but traffic is getting heavier as more development moves in. Still a great area to ride.
Old 09-20-11, 09:13 PM
Jay1204

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in Orland Park, IL. im about to get into road cycling and trying to find a club to join.
Old 09-20-11, 09:15 PM
sensware

Bikes: '11 Specialized Secteur Sport Compact

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to this board too. from Grayslake IL. Half way between Chicago and Milwaukee. 7mi commute to work in Libertyville.
I ride solo and with BCLC (www.bikebclc.com). Love the Wednesday night ride with the group

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.