Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-15, 05:06 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
A great commute in this morning! I was able to incorporate the garden viewing in my ride and also add another mile to my route. All in all a good ride.

I am leaving work early today due to an appointment, so I am leaving in plenty of time to make my commute home an extra long ride and enjoy the day.
Old 06-12-15, 06:11 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The heat and humidity are definitely here in Kentucky. The morning commutes are nice this time of year. Had a wobble on the way to work yesterday. At first I though it might be my imagination. After 3 or 4 stops I figured out the pedal was loose and I didn't have a wrench to fit it. I pedaled gingerly the last few miles to work. I'm going to start keeping a wrench with me.
Old 06-12-15, 06:23 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
My first 5-day commute week in a while, and my highest commuting mileage ever for a work week. Amazingly, my legs were surprisingly fresh this morning, despite a headwind all the way. The weather has been hot and humid all week, with highs in the 90s most days, but temperatures fortunately tailed off by the time I was riding home in late afternoon each day.
Old 06-12-15, 06:35 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
High humidity and 70 something this morning. As long as there aren't any crazy storms this afternoon, it will be another 10 for 10 week.
Old 06-12-15, 06:58 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Warmest morning of the year, 73F but came with a wicked headwind. I'll take it!
Old 06-12-15, 07:38 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
great week of riding for me

I had a great week of riding this week. I got caught in a rainshower yesterday afternoon. I stopped a gas station to put pannier rain covers on. I thought it was slacking off and moving on. It didnt so I got soaked actually felt pretty good when I rode out of the rain. Sun stayed out the whole time. It was funny wearing sunglasses in the rain but it worked.

Letting the legs rest today, i drove, I am riding a metric century tomorrow!
Old 06-12-15, 07:41 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A light rain as I started my commute this morning... but it quit within a couple of miles. The rest of my ride was wonderful, with cooler temps and light winds!
Old 06-12-15, 07:58 AM
ChicagoDan

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Fuji Tread, Montague Navigator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I tried a new route around O'hare this morning, so I got to try out the new 606 bike trail in the city. The trail was wonderful, and wasn't crowded due to the early hour and the rain. The trade off was about 12 miles of 2 lane in each direction major thoroughfare. It wasn't bad at 6AM, but I don't think I'll take that way home. I get the feeling it won't be any fun at 5PM. I'll go around the north route, which is much more MUT and quiet residential streets.
Old 06-12-15, 11:02 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Today, I feel lazy. I hadn't commuted by bike since Monday, and I need the exercise, but I didn't feel like doing it. So I forced myself to do it, and I allowed myself to ride very gently. It only took me about nine minutes longer. It's warm today, about 85ºF, and I tried to ride without building up much sweat, and I mostly succeeded. I had a moderate headwind, and for the first time, I was grateful for it.

Last night, some family members and I went to a concert at Lincoln Center, with the New York Philharmonic. I felt I had had enough subway riding for the day, so I convinced my wife that we should take Citibike home. We rode in our fancy clothes and no helmets. She was so cute in her pretty outfit on the big clunky bike. I feel that Citibike members are so lucky. We can pick up and drop off bikes at countless places around the city. The whole program is wildly popular.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-12-15, 12:16 PM
ChicagoDan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Last night, some family members and I went to a concert at Lincoln Center, with the New York Philharmonic. I felt I had had enough subway riding for the day, so I convinced my wife that we should take Citibike home. We rode in our fancy clothes and no helmets. She was so cute in her pretty outfit on the big clunky bike. I feel that Citibike members are so lucky. We can pick up and drop off bikes at countless places around the city. The whole program is wildly popular.
I feel the same way about Divvy in Chicago. I started commuting by bike with 2 miles round trip using Divvy last year, and would not be using a bike to commute at all if I hadn't started there.
Old 06-12-15, 12:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan
I feel the same way about Divvy in Chicago. I started commuting by bike with 2 miles round trip using Divvy last year, and would not be using a bike to commute at all if I hadn't started there.
You mean you started on Divvy and ended up riding your own bike? I'm impressed.

I see a lot of people on Citibike who look decidedly NOT like bike people. And this, I feel, is a wonderful thing. How much is membership? Here it's something like $150 per year, which is absurdly low. In fact, I feel sorry for the bike shops, because this artificial rate has hurt them.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-12-15, 12:45 PM
ChicagoDan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You mean you started on Divvy and ended up riding your own bike? I'm impressed.

I see a lot of people on Citibike who look decidedly NOT like bike people. And this, I feel, is a wonderful thing. How much is membership? Here it's something like $150 per year, which is absurdly low. In fact, I feel sorry for the bike shops, because this artificial rate has hurt them.
I still use both my own bike and Divvy on an almost daily basis. Using Divvy to get from the train station to the office made me realize how much I missed getting around and experiencing my environment on a bike. This year I mostly ride my bike from home to the commuter train (6 miles each way), and Divvy from the train station.

I only see a few people who look like "bike people" on Divvy. Mostly I see people doing short hop commutes or errands. Here it is $75 per year, but in the two years Divvy has been around, there has been a huge uptick in bike traffic in general. I think Divvy is picking up a lot of people who who would not have been on a bike otherwise.
Old 06-12-15, 01:19 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I just purchased a new home only 10 miles from work. I'm ecstatic to begin commuting again, not sure how much longer I could've endured my recent 40 mile drive. I took today off to move a few things over, and took my bike to test the possible routes. There's a low trafficked seasonal (mostly dirt) road for a total of 15 miles, or a shorter route only 10 miles is on a rural highway (posted 55mph limit, cars go 60+) with a extra wide shoulder most of the trip.

So although I wasn't working today, I still commuted. Nice ride, humid with a threat of showers. Didn't rain until after I made it back home.
Old 06-13-15, 07:13 AM
heysmellthis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow what a beautiful day my first on time on a bike since I was a child and it was awesome I put the very final payment on my bike yesterday a specialized cirrus elite and road 11 miles up and down some monster hills saw a hawk swoop down and jay hunt down a cicada😆
Old 06-15-15, 04:19 AM
dcb23

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeRides
I just purchased a new home only 10 miles from work. I'm ecstatic to begin commuting again, not sure how much longer I could've endured my recent 40 mile drive. I took today off to move a few things over, and took my bike to test the possible routes. There's a low trafficked seasonal (mostly dirt) road for a total of 15 miles, or a shorter route only 10 miles is on a rural highway (posted 55mph limit, cars go 60+) with a extra wide shoulder most of the trip.

So although I wasn't working today, I still commuted. Nice ride, humid with a threat of showers. Didn't rain until after I made it back home.
That's awesome! I'm now looking for a new home to fit my family and bike commuting is factoring heavily into my decision making.

78F / 25 C a steamy quiet Monday morning. I am in earlier than usual so streets were pleasantly deserted.

Crossing fingers that my new armadillo rear tire is the solution to my recent spate of flats.
Old 06-15-15, 06:20 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I thought last week was hot, but apparently it was just a warm up. The high is supposed to reach 100 F here today and tomorrow. I'll find out how well acclimated I am on the ride home this afternoon. My morning ride was great with temps in the mid-70s, but I'll be heading home right about the time of our usual high temperatures.
Old 06-15-15, 07:12 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Wet. Although it was not raining over the house when I left. Nonetheless, about 15 minutes into the commute, downpour with gusty winds hits me hard. Pretty much steady for the nest hour of riding. Fun though, except the part about wringing out wet clothes when I arrived at work.
Old 06-15-15, 07:18 AM
mgw4jc

Originally Posted by tarwheel
I thought last week was hot, but apparently it was just a warm up. The high is supposed to reach 100 F here today and tomorrow. I'll find out how well acclimated I am on the ride home this afternoon. My morning ride was great with temps in the mid-70s, but I'll be heading home right about the time of our usual high temperatures.
Yep. I'm looking forward to the weekend where it will be low 90s instead of high 90s.

A pleasant ride in this morning. I seem to be seeing more dead squirrels than usual on the road the past couple of weeks. Two this morning. Not sure what is up with that.
Old 06-15-15, 07:24 AM
CJ Str3tch

Bikes: GIANT Defy Advance Pro 1, Giant ToughRoad SL1,

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another soggy commute this morning. Seems to be the norm since last week. At least the temps were in the 70's. But a dry ride one of these days would be nice.
Old 06-15-15, 07:59 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Managed to get between showers on the ride in, 73F - not sure I'll be so lucky this afternoon
Old 06-15-15, 10:43 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Had to wait for the Google Fiber guy to install another TV box at my house, so didn't ride to work today. I did wake up early enough to go for a quick ride though. Wow, it was humid! Don't think I've sweat that much yet this year, and I didn't even have the panniers on the bike.
Old 06-16-15, 05:18 AM
essiemyra

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 87 Posts
A humid but nice morning commute today. The temp was 58f degrees and foggy when I left the house. I am also a dollar richer as I found one on my way to work today!
Old 06-16-15, 06:30 AM
mgw4jc

My son is in gymnastics. One of the boys there also lives in our neighborhood. He was asking my son if his dad bikes to work. My son said yes, he rides 12 miles to Huntersville. A couple of them said in disbelief, "He couldn't ride to Huntersville on his bike." Another boy in the class lives near my work place and said, "My mom sees him near our house all the time." They said, "Wait, you live in Huntersville. Wow!" My son was glad to have been backed up.

70ish but a bit lower humidity this morning. High could be 100+ today. It was 99F for yesterday's ride home. It really wasn't so bad once I got going. Although the winds were calm, there was a constant 15 - 20 mph breeze in my face. I really wasn't all that sweaty when I got home. But a big glass of orange gatorade on ice did hit the spot.
Old 06-16-15, 06:40 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yesterday's forecast - 60% chance of thunderstorms, so I didn't ride. Actual weather - partly sunny.
Today's forecast - 0% chance of rain until mid-afternoon, so I rode. Actual weather - rained almost the entire ride.
Luckily, I wasn't hauling my work clothes (left some at the office yesterday) but I am soaked.
10 miles. 75 degrees, 99% humidity according to weather.com, but they still say it's not raining.

This afternoon's forecast includes squalls. May be hitching a ride home.
Old 06-16-15, 07:39 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Had a great ride on my metric century this weekend. One of my goals was to maintain above 17mph for ride and I did. I felt good and strong I probably could have ridden a longer ride (if they had one but not as fast)
I hit my top speed on an awesome section of road. 41 mph.

i have commuted two days this week but I think some life commitments are going to interfere with some riding tomorrow and possibly thursday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.