Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2015!! How was your commute today?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 06:28 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Warm and muggy this morning, but a cold front that is passing through today is supposed to bring cooler temperatures and less humidity. I drove yesterday due to forecasts calling for temps near 100 and a heat index around 105, but the forecasters were crying wolf again. The high only reached the low to mid-90s, although the humidity was extremely high. We had a bunch of thunderstorms late in the day, but I probably would have made it home before they hit. I took advantage of having my car and stopped by the gym on my way home to lift weights and ride a spin bike for a while.
Old 07-22-15, 06:50 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
I took off early from work yesterday but did not bike home. The fam and I went to see the Minions movie instead. Pretty good, but seemed to be lacking something.

Nice enough ride in this morning. I didn't seem to be as sweaty when I got to work. Not sure if that is because I rode a little slower or weather is more agreeable.
Old 07-22-15, 07:44 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I was already running late when I walked into the garage and noticed my rear tire was flat. I wasn't surprised. That tire had 3500 miles on it, and I've been considering replacing it since the 4th. So, off it went and into the trash, along with the tube. It took me about 15 minutes to change out, 10 if you don't count time spent cleaning the chain and cassette.

By the time I flipped the bike over and laid the rubber back onto the pavement, I saw that I would end up approx 1/2 hour late for work. I considered driving, but I just couldn't. It was such a beautiful day to ride. Turned out to be a good choice because the ride in was almost perfect.
Old 07-22-15, 07:47 AM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Had to drive in today. It's just not worth it, after seeing how great it is to ride into work.

Yesterday's return trip was good, but hot, and I'll bike the rest of the week.
Old 07-22-15, 08:08 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Woah, who turned down the thermostat? 59F this morning, almost 20 degrees cooler then yesterday. My toes got cold
Old 07-22-15, 08:17 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by arsprod
Woah, who turned down the thermostat? 59F this morning, almost 20 degrees cooler then yesterday. My toes got cold
Yeah, was nice and cool in NJ/NY this morning too. Just not that cool. :-) Was a great ride this morning from home (Bloomfield, NJ) into New York City via GWB. Found a better route through Hackensack that only adds a mile or two. Am trying to do two rides from home per week. Doing ~50 miles every day wacks me out. Helmet off for those of you who do that kind of distance (~250 miles/week).
Old 07-22-15, 08:53 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Was wondering that myself! Even though I went by 2 bank signs can't remember what they said but it was close. And I wore my sandals so yeah the toes got cold!
Old 07-22-15, 09:20 AM
KCBikeCommuter

Bikes: Klein Quantum Race; Cannondale Supersix EVO Di2; Trek Crossrip LTD; Trek Boone 9 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Woah, who turned down the thermostat?
Yep, I've been enjoying the cooler temps the last couple of mornings!
Old 07-22-15, 11:40 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkyStickman
I haven't posted in this thread in like.... maybe 2 years? 3?
Hey Funky! Welcome back! Are you back on a diamond-frame bike? Last I remember, you were building a tadpole recumbent. How's the leg? any residual issues?

Not to be "that guy" or anything, but my commute temps this morning were 11C/52F, so I got you beat . My fingers were a bit chilled at first, but my toes were toasty warm in my socks and shoes.

I have not been riding enough, and I'm getting fat and slow. I chased a guy up a hill this morning, and I was catching up...until he saw me. Then he buried me.

Due to a high probability of rain later today, I rode my heavy commuter beast with fenders. I really dislike that bike...makes me feel even fatter and slower.
Old 07-22-15, 11:57 AM
arsprod 

Originally Posted by groovestew
Not to be "that guy" or anything, but my commute temps this morning were 11C/52F, so I got you beat . My fingers were a bit chilled at first, but my toes were toasty warm in my socks and shoes.
You are more than welcome to be that guy and you can keep your 52F temps in July. Those are October temps for me and I don't like it
Old 07-22-15, 01:39 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Much cooler and less humid this morning. Really enjoyed it. I even broke out a light jacket. Of course I warmed up and it got a little too warm in the jacket.
Old 07-22-15, 03:25 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Today was a little warm and muggy, but I gladly took it.

I recently re-geared my "go-fast" bike to remove a couple of the lowest gears and add some in the middle, and I'm LOVING it. Wish I'd done it sooner.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-22-15, 03:34 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
I think I had the best commute ever. The weather had a lot to do with it. It's warm but not humid, and some of the breezes off the river are cool. I changed my pace quite a bit throughout the 14-mile ride. I took a video of my commute for the first time. I hope it comes out OK. I haven't looked at it yet. I don't have an action camera, and I don't have a mount for my cell phone. I used my phone to shoot, and I just held it up with my right hand and kept my left hand on the handlebars. It's not ideal, and I'm sure my footage is very shaky. But it might be interesting to see what a gorgeous commute in NYC can look like. The Hudson River Greenway has hundreds of commuter cyclists on it at the same time.

The video is a little less than five minutes long.

At first, I paced myself by following a guy on a Citibike bike. Those bikes are heavy and slow. It was nice, because the pace was easy. Then after a while, a young woman passed us, so I picked up my pace, passed the Citibike rider, and paced behind the woman. I didn't want to creep her out, so I kept way back most of the time. She had exceptional form, so she clearly has been a bike commuter for a while.

Eventually, she turned off the path. I take the path much farther north than any bike commuter I see in the morning. I took the scenic but hillier route, because the weather is so great today. It ends in a big winding downhill through lightly trafficked streets, so I got to have that thrill, too.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-22-15, 03:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,433 Posts
Oh, here's my video. I just watched it and uploaded it. It's terribly shaky. There are two points where Citibike guy and I blow through the crosswalks without waiting for the pedestrians waiting to cross. That was not good on our parts. I don't recommend holding a cell phone up to take videos while riding for reasons like this.

I turned the camera to the left and right a few times so you could see the highway and buildings on the right and the river on the left. Across the river, you see New Jersey. The river is a mile wide! You can see we also passed Chelsea Piers which has restaurants, shops, and athletic venues for participatory sports. It's a great location, right on the river, where lots of stuff goes on.

You see how heavily used the path is. It's a constant stream of cyclists and joggers. The joggers are officially not allowed on this portion of the bikeway, but I'm fine with them being there. Most cyclists and joggers behave as if we're on an autobahn, keeping right and passing left. It's one of the most orderly places in the city in my observation.

I started the video at just below 14 St and ended it at about 25 St, so that's a hair over a half mile. That's a small fraction of my 14-mile commute, of course.

https://youtu.be/m82ugBavDxc

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-23-15, 05:03 AM
esmith2039

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Pretty nice this morning. Warmer than yesterday which I thought was too cool for my taste. Went a different route which wasn't a smart thing. But I stopped by QT and got a couple doughnuts.. wanted my doughnuts dang it! I felt the evil eyes I was getting riding down southwest blvd eating them.
Old 07-23-15, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 86 Posts
A very nice uneventful commute this morning. The temp was 59f degrees and I notice the sun is starting later in the am.
Old 07-23-15, 06:35 AM
txcrash

Bikes: 2015 Tread 1.1 - Commuter, 2009 Allez Triple - Group Rides, 2015 Rockhopper comp - Mud and roots, 90's Burley Duet Tandem - Fast times with the kid, Electra 1 Cruiser - Slow times with the kid, Several projects, critical case of n+1, far past s-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Other than the BMW driver behind me that felt the need to honk (and then whizzed past me, with me catching up at each light), the commute was good. Wasn't feeling great this AM so took it easy, but still made ok time.
Old 07-23-15, 07:10 AM
arsprod 

As much as I don't like cool summer mornings the evening ride homes have been perfect - low 80's, light winds, low humidity. Perfect is good
Old 07-23-15, 08:26 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
My ride into work was fan-bloody-tastic. I woke up really wanting to ride my '89 Prelude, so that was my motivation to get up, walk the dogs, eat and get going! Threw my clothes into my messenger bag, made plans to meet the wife for lunch at an outdoor market, inflated the tires and off I went!
Old 07-23-15, 08:40 AM
GovernorSilver

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, Jamis Renegade Expert

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Enjoying this temperature dip as well. 72 F at the start of this morning's ride.
Old 07-23-15, 08:54 AM
dramiscram
ouate de phoque

Bikes: Bianchi, Nakamura,Opus

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's been almost a month since my last visit on the forum. Since I started my new job I don't have much spare time, which is a good thing because the days seems shorter. At my previous job I was sitting at my desk 40h/week with a lot of spare time but I'm now the shop dispatcher/foreman at another Ford dealer and I'm much busier. The days are also tougher on the legs since I stand most of the time and walk a lot, so the bike ride was thouger for the first 2 or 3 weeks, but now it's fine.
I also had to take a week off the bike because I fell on a saturday night 3 weeks ago: I was coming back from one of my friend's place at around 9 pm, when it was getting darker but not completely dark and there was a big log straight across the bike path, I'm sure it was pure sabotage, when I saw it I was too close to stop so I stumbled over it and badly scrapped my right shoulder, elbow and knee, the helmet was badly scratched as well so I replaced it. I may have seen it earlier if I would've been sober... (had a few cold one) and if had I tought about bringing my headlamp... But still there some dumba** who tought it would be funny to put a big log across the bike path at night, it cost me a front wheel...
Old 07-23-15, 09:10 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Oh, here's my video. I just watched it and uploaded it. It's terribly shaky. There are two points where Citibike guy and I blow through the crosswalks without waiting for the pedestrians waiting to cross. That was not good on our parts. I don't recommend holding a cell phone up to take videos while riding for reasons like this.

I turned the camera to the left and right a few times so you could see the highway and buildings on the right and the river on the left. Across the river, you see New Jersey. The river is a mile wide! You can see we also passed Chelsea Piers which has restaurants, shops, and athletic venues for participatory sports. It's a great location, right on the river, where lots of stuff goes on.

You see how heavily used the path is. It's a constant stream of cyclists and joggers. The joggers are officially not allowed on this portion of the bikeway, but I'm fine with them being there. Most cyclists and joggers behave as if we're on an autobahn, keeping right and passing left. It's one of the most orderly places in the city in my observation.

I started the video at just below 14 St and ended it at about 25 St, so that's a hair over a half mile. That's a small fraction of my 14-mile commute, of course.

https://youtu.be/m82ugBavDxc
I feel a little wobbly after watching! Pretty cool to watch, though.
Old 07-23-15, 10:13 AM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
I was able to leave a little early and try to ride some extra miles this morning. I did 18.5 instead of the usual 11-12. I wanted to go a little faster but my bruised thigh did not like the idea so I didnt. WEll I dont think I did time was about the same for that mileage as before maybe a little slower. It was not as humid and really felt good to ride hard again. I think I will be getting wet on the way home tonight. 50% chance of showers.

I am not riding to work tomorrow we are heading out of town and I need some extra time though the weather looks beautiful.
Old 07-23-15, 11:39 AM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by groovestew
Hey Funky! Welcome back! Are you back on a diamond-frame bike? Last I remember, you were building a tadpole recumbent. How's the leg? any residual issues?
'Sup? Yeah, it's been exactly 4 years, I was back on the DF at about 6 months after. No residual issues at all, I have recovered 100% mobility. It took me about a year to overcome the mental block, though. Crazy flashbacks and panic attacks when I rode. I'm all better now.

Keep on rocking!
Old 07-23-15, 11:46 AM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
It was nice this morning, almost 55 degrees. But I"m losing my morning daylight, soon I'll have to go back to wearing my helmet so that I can use my Blackburn Flea light on it. Oh well. I have a headlight on my bike but I'm addicted to that Flea, for scanning the sides of the road for animals waiting to take me out. I hope to get away from work and down town in time to catch an earlier bus and have a long ride home, I'm planning for 31 miles total today. It's supposed to be 80.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.