Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your thoughts about a Surly Long Haul Trucker as an everyday bike/commuter?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your thoughts about a Surly Long Haul Trucker as an everyday bike/commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-16, 05:21 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by MJH
I bought a 2011 Disc Trucker used back in October. When I first read about them and saw them, I was hooked. Even though the little bit of touring I've done has been of the credit card variety, this is the type of bike I've been wanting. I kept the drops, but added interrupter levers. I have changed the stem so that it is shorter and more upright. I sit pretty upright. I'm 66 years old and weigh in at about 240. I do not care how fast it is, just how comfortable it rides and believe me, its comfortable.
I do not think you'll be disappointed. Good luck.
Thanks

Originally Posted by Aceldama
LHT owner checking in here. I've had mine for about 5 years and it's my most ridden and most versatile bike. It's also the bike I've put the most effort into making 'my own'. As another poster already said; the LHT is a wonderful canvas to modify to your needs.

Mine is set up for touring but I ride it unloaded all the time. It's a heavy bike and it's liberating because I don't worry about adding functional improvements such as fenders and racks... it just adds to the character of the bike.

The 'stiff feel' of the LHT frame is a myth. This has everything to do with tire selection and pressure. One of the great benefits of the LHT frame is that it has ample clearance for large volume tires which can be run at a lower pressure therefore increasing comfort over rough roads.

You mentioned that you're planning another road bike purchase in the future, excellent, make the LHT your 'do it all' bike and then your next bike can be a lightweight. When I switch from riding my LHT to my 'fast' bike it feels like cheating.

As with any bike purchase: fit is the most important aspect so make sure to get that right.

Obligatory:
When people say it is a heavy bike, what are they comparing it to?

Is it because a LHT normally has strong and heavy wheels & tyres that lends to overall impression of how heavy a bike it is?

People don't seem to call the Surly Cross Check heavy, yet it's frame and fork would be lucky to be one pound lighter than the LHT frame and fork, but Cross Check's are probably more often than not, fitted with lighter wheels than a typical LHT build.

In terms of the LHT not being a fast bike, is that a trade off with having those long chain stays that provide so much comfort, in that pedaling force is slightly dissipated, rather than being directed forward?

Is a LHT build "faster" or "slower" than say a Trek 8.6 DS or Specialized CrossTrail Comp, on the road?
Old 02-29-16, 06:00 PM
Aceldama

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Thanks

Is it because a LHT normally has strong and heavy wheels & tyres that lends to overall impression of how heavy a bike it is?

People don't seem to call the Surly Cross Check heavy, yet it's frame and fork would be lucky to be one pound lighter than the LHT frame and fork, but Cross Check's are probably more often than not, fitted with lighter wheels than a typical LHT build.

In terms of the LHT not being a fast bike, is that a trade off with having those long chain stays that provide so much comfort, in that pedaling force is slightly dissipated, rather than being directed forward?

Is a LHT build "faster" or "slower" than say a Trek 8.6 DS or Specialized CrossTrail Comp, on the road?
When I say the LHT isn't my 'fast bike' I'm comparing to my 1996(?) Waterford 1200. You're on the right track in understanding what contributes to a slower feeling bike.

Materials:
If you compare the thickness of the tubes used to make the LHT, especially the chainstays, they're beefy tubes. Both bikes are steel but that's where the similarities end. The LHT simply uses more material than the Waterford and the tubes themselves are drawn thicker in order to be stronger for the LHT's application.

Geometry:
The LHT is designed to be stable and more upright. This makes it better for a number of things: comfort, stability, ability to carry loads. The long chain stays keep the wheelbase long and panniers out of foot striking distance. The Waterford has shorter chainstays and a shorter wheelbase making it feel much more twitchy and nimble. The Waterford puts the rider in a position to put more power to the ground and it accelerates more quickly than the LHT.

Wheels/Tires:
The LHT has wheels built for touring and durability. Same story with the tires. This makes them heavy relative to the Waterford which has a lower spoke-count wheelset wrapped in skinny tires.

Accessories:
My LHT is decked out with front/rear racks and full fenders. I don't care about the weight of the bike at all. My Waterford is kept as minimalist as possible.

When you combine all of these factors together it adds up in the performance department. That being said, the LHT gets used for 90% of my riding because it's suited for any type of riding in all weather. The Waterford gets used for spirited riding where pure training/performance is the goal.
Old 02-29-16, 07:52 PM
GP

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks

LHT (58) - 5.15 lb. frame, 2.25 lb. fork
CC (56) - 4.88 lb. frame, 2.19 lb. fork
Old 02-29-16, 08:50 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Originally Posted by GP
LHT (58) - 5.15 lb. frame, 2.25 lb. fork
CC (56) - 4.88 lb. frame, 2.19 lb. fork
So why is the LHT lumbered with the "heavy" description, but not the Cross Check?
Old 02-29-16, 10:13 PM
Aceldama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could be that the complete build specs put the LHT at a higher weight than the CC.

It could be that most people deck out their LHT with touring accessories which add to the weight.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much honestly. It's really not that heavy of a bike and frankly it's all about the motor.
Old 02-29-16, 10:39 PM
steve t.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've said it before and I'll say it again- a pound or 2, or 3, on a bike not built for, nor used for high speed riding means pretty much nothing. Bikes are used by pedaling them horizontally, not by hand-lifting them vertically. Add 150-250 pounds of rider and that +/- 1% of bike weight (1% of bike and rider total weight) isn't realized by the rider. Want to trim rolling weight, drop 5 pounds of body weight. (I could stand to lose 25 or 30 pounds, the weight of a bike.) And I'd argue better wheel and bottom bracket bearings mean more than taking off one pound of bike frame weight.

Steve.
Old 02-29-16, 10:51 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I see the LHT's weight as the main drawback (and I'm not weight weenie....) but if that doesn't bother you, then I'd say go for it!

Sometimes you just have to live with a bike for a while to know whether you really like it or not.
Old 02-29-16, 11:08 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by Aceldama
It could be that the complete build specs put the LHT at a higher weight than the CC.

It could be that most people deck out their LHT with touring accessories which add to the weight.
That is I suspect a significant reason behind why the "heavy" tag gets attributed to the LHT much more so than just about any name brand bike of very similar frame weight, but I am interested to hear if it is more than just that.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much honestly. It's really not that heavy of a bike and frankly it's all about the motor.
I started this thread to see if there was perhaps a better choice out there for me and from the various replies and what else I have read in other threads and on other places on the interwebs, it really doesn't seem to be, due to those factors I listed in my opening post.

Of course when I eventually seek to get a faster disc brake equipped 700c bike, things will be much more complicated(I doubt I will be getting a Disc Trucker) and there will probably be multiple suitable options that will then leave me with "the agony of decision".
Old 03-01-16, 11:04 AM
yooperbiker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The LHT would be an ideal everyday bike for a rider weighing over 300 lbs in my opinion. The strength and stability of the bike are perfect match for a heavy rider. Someone weighing 160 lbs would likely look elsewhere if not touring, but you are not 160 lbs. The geometry is for heavy loads, the wheels are for heavy loads, perfect match for you!
Old 05-26-16, 03:22 PM
superglueryan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sure that by this point you have picked and made your purchase, but in the off chance that you're still debating... Get the Trucker, imo. I weight 315lbs when I bought mine and I've ridden it to death. It honestly feels just as good at 265lbs as it did then. I rode mine from Pittsburg, PA to Washington, DC on the GAP and C&O. Between me and my gear (camping the whole way) There was definitely over 350lbs on the frame at that time and it didn't so much as flinch. I've got thousands of miles on that bike and the wheels are still very true - it's built to last.

It's best at being a loaded touring bike, great at being a commuter and not great at being a fast club bike... but I routinely use if for all of the above.
Old 05-26-16, 06:40 PM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Love my disc trucker. I use it to commute and general riding. Changed the bars and tires to suit my style of riding.
Old 05-26-16, 09:11 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Surly LHT , I have one, and love it .
Old 05-27-16, 05:21 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10152 Post(s)
Liked 5,843 Times in 3,147 Posts
Agree with most of the above, but why would one want that very long wheelbase for a general use bike?

I am using a Crosscheck for commuting now and it feels (and weighs) like a bike for a much heavier man. The geometry seems just about perfect: it's nicely behaved no-hands and on gravel and cobbles, yet maneuverable enough for traffic. Not the bike I would have chosen, but a very nice, solid, ride.

My main beef with the stock build was the brakes, which were simply inadequate for the street. They'd have to be worse for a big man. I believe the LHT comes with the same ones. Pads might have fixed them, but I installed cheap V- brakes and levers, which work much better. Please spare me the Physics 1 lecture. I might have kept the cantis if I thought I were going to be able to beat up those wheels.
Old 05-27-16, 08:13 AM
ted m

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Surly Troll with the Jones bars. It took me a while to get the bar where I wanted it but I'm very happy with the bike. I liked the troll over the LHT because it fit my body better than the LHT did, but that is highly personal. (I have short legs for my height and I prefer the sloping top tube of the Troll) It may not be the fastest, but it is comfortable and I'm out there using it. And I love it. (6', 335 pounds)
Old 05-27-16, 09:51 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Snipped

I also like the look of the Thorn Sherpa a lot too, but its higher price over the LHT puts me off a bit.

However if there were people who had experienced both bikes and convincingly stated that for riding around town unloaded the Thorn Sherpa was much better than the LHT, that would probably sway me.
Be careful here. A bicycle that one person likes may be hateful for another. You'd need to have someone using the bike with your weight and purposes in order to have an accurate comparison. The best thing to do would be for you to test ride each bike over a distance of a few kilometers not just a parking lot.

Most of the suspension of a steel frame bicycle is in the tires.

Cheers
Old 05-27-16, 10:33 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll just say that I have light and heavy friends who love their LHTs as all-around bikes. Just do it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-27-16, 12:16 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by superglueryan
I'm sure that by this point you have picked and made your purchase, but in the off chance that you're still debating... Get the Trucker, imo. I weight 315lbs when I bought mine and I've ridden it to death. It honestly feels just as good at 265lbs as it did then. I rode mine from Pittsburg, PA to Washington, DC on the GAP and C&O. Between me and my gear (camping the whole way) There was definitely over 350lbs on the frame at that time and it didn't so much as flinch. I've got thousands of miles on that bike and the wheels are still very true - it's built to last.

It's best at being a loaded touring bike, great at being a commuter and not great at being a fast club bike... but I routinely use if for all of the above.
I'm pretty sure a LHT or Disc Trucker will be in my future, but for now I went with this as my first 21st Century bike.

Originally Posted by Northwestrider
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Surly LHT , I have one, and love it .
I'm sure one will be in my future, but for now I've gone with this beast.

Originally Posted by Miele Man
Be careful here. A bicycle that one person likes may be hateful for another. You'd need to have someone using the bike with your weight and purposes in order to have an accurate comparison. The best thing to do would be for you to test ride each bike over a distance of a few kilometers not just a parking lot.

Most of the suspension of a steel frame bicycle is in the tires.

Cheers
I've decided against the Thorn for now and whether I get it or the LHT later on, I won't have an opportunity to test ride a made up bike with either frame and will just be buying a frame to build up.
Old 05-27-16, 12:17 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Since this thread has been bumped, I'll just say that I have light and heavy friends who love their LHTs as all-around bikes. Just do it.
It will have to be my next bike, as I have bought this beast.
Old 05-27-16, 12:36 PM
Northwestrider

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, Dahon Mu P 24 , Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Rodriguez Tandem, Wheeler MTB

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by steve t.
a pound or 2, or 3, on a bike not built for, nor used for high speed riding means pretty much nothing. Bikes are used by pedaling them horizontally, not by hand-lifting them vertically. Add 150-250 pounds of rider and that +/- 1% of bike weight (1% of bike and rider total weight) isn't realized by the rider. Want to trim rolling weight, drop 5 pounds of body weight. (I could stand to lose 25 or 30 pounds, the weight of a bike.) And I'd argue better wheel and bottom bracket bearings mean more than taking off one pound of bike frame weight.
Steve.
+1
Old 05-27-16, 12:44 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want a disc trucker to replace mt dead LHT. I would prefer through axles though.
Old 05-27-16, 12:45 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Agree with most of the above, but why would one want that very long wheelbase for a general use bike?
I like the long chainstays on the LHT/DT's(or at least I think I would like them) as they should provide for a comfortable ride and also make cross chaining much less of an issue.

My understanding is that the long wheelbase provides for stability at speed on downhill runs and the downside of less responsive handling is not likely to be a big downside for me, or at least I would hope it wouldn't be.
Old 05-27-16, 12:45 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Originally Posted by joeyduck
I want a disc trucker to replace mt dead LHT. I would prefer through axles though.
What happened to your LHT to kill it off?
Old 05-27-16, 02:24 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What happened to your LHT to kill it off?
Long story short. Me&LHT+Bus+Dump Truck = Dead LHT