Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

An even better cramping option than pickle juice

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-16, 05:34 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts

You may have seen my other post on pickle juice. I was a committed believer.

I had a 90 miler in the NC mountains yesterday with a number of hills....with one of them an all out maximum effort for 30 minutes in the middle of the ride. The ride was at around 3000'-4000' elevation so it was cooler and less humid than where I live but still prone to perspiring.

It was one of those days where I had the perfect ride for me. All my prior rides and cross training had me in almost perfect shape. I'd ridden several mountain rides with steep climbs, I've walked lots of rounds on the golf course since retiring in April and my legs are strong and I was coming off a week of riding in the Colorado mountains at higher elevations. After carrying a lot of extra weight through the winter my weight is now optimal for me.

As I climbed I could feel the bike lurch forward with every pedal stroke. I was able to stay with groups on both flats and climbs. Essentially I rode at an almost all out race effort for about 5 hours. I could push the pedals as hard as could without fear of cramping. I've never experienced that before. It was cycling heaven!!

I carried pickle juice with me in a Gu flask and drank most of it prior to the hard climb in the middle of the ride. I was okay until about the 65 mile mark when I felt some cramps coming on in my inner leg muscles. Normally I'd drop down into easier gears and reduce my effort.

When I was doing Ride the Rockies I visited one of the booths at the very end of the ride. The product the young ladies was displaying was called Hot Shots. I told them pickle juice worked for me and was my miracle drug. They gave me a small taste of their stuff which burns a little. They explained that what Hot Shots does is trigger the nerves in the mouth to tell the ion channel that controls the cramping to calm down. I felt like it was just marketing hype but took their free sample.

Anyway, they put a free sample in my hand. I took it with me on my ride. When my leg starting cramping I pulled it out of my jersey pocket and drank it. The results were incredibly amazing and immediate. Any signs of cramping disappeared within seconds. I was able to make maximum effort without fear of cramping. I've never been able to do that before even with pickle juice.

It looks to be pretty pricey so probably what I'll do is continue with pickle juice and use Hot Shot as my backup. Note that with both of these products my stomach was a little disturbed but not too bad. Yesterday I was able to do the whole ride with just one 3 minute stop at 48 miles. I did take fluid hand ups along the way.

If you're interested in more information I'd suggest searching Hot Shots Cramping and reading up on it. It does burn a little when you drink it but not badly. Hey, anything is better than cramping for me!
Old 06-26-16, 06:26 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts
How about a sprinkle of cayenne pepper in your pickle juice????
Old 06-26-16, 07:00 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Sounds a bit zippy. My cramping hits the hamstrings in the middle of the night.
Old 06-26-16, 07:33 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
When I was doing Ride the Rockies I visited one of the booths at the very end of the ride. The product the young ladies was displaying was called Hot Shots.
Since it was in Colorado I thought your post was veering towards another medical marijuana miracle cure.
Old 06-26-16, 06:30 PM
nmichell

Bikes: '05 Salsa La Raza, '13 Aluboo (bamboo) SS, '12 DaVinci Grand Junction tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw this being handed out on RtR as well, but figured it was just hype. Thanks for the report -- I may pick up some.
Old 06-26-16, 07:07 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by nmichell
I saw this being handed out on RtR as well, but figured it was just hype. Thanks for the report -- I may pick up some.

I thought the same thing and I was somewhat reluctant to try it while riding in an event but rolled the dice. I was really surprised at how well it worked.
Old 06-26-16, 07:42 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Glad your cramping went away but one data point proves nothing!
Interesting theory on how Hot Shot works, though.

I had one episode of cramping on the medial aspect of my right leg yesterday 3/4 through a 50 mile ride with both hills and flats. Hot, humid, sunny. Backing off a little and thinking positive thoughts made that cramping stop.
(Positive thinking doesn't usually work for my cramps. Thankfully, only a problem occasionally)

Last edited by JanMM; 06-26-16 at 08:53 PM.