Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The Season is Just Beginning

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The Season is Just Beginning

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-16, 02:14 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Riding in winter is purely overcoming the psychology of winter? Not in my book. I lived for decades in the Midwest and was crazy enough to go one year car free which often meant hopping on a bike to get groceries if I wanted to eat. If I had enough clothing on to keep warm in the coldest months when I reached the grocery store I was way overdressed for spending any time in the store.
Old 09-30-16, 02:46 PM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
@Retro Grouch Are you riding a recumbent tadpole trike?

I will be riding clipped in on my fat bike. I feel more stable and want to avoid any foot slippage.
Old 09-30-16, 02:53 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by shafter
I've read a lot about the cycling season being over, and people getting their winter bikes...

Some say winter is their off season. For me the off season is summer, and the real season has just started.
I dont’t think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons. I posted to this thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?.”
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Personally the only weather I don’t like to ride in is rain, and no rain wouldbe a desert. That said, I really like riding in all seasons, even winter. So my near perfect weather would present the best of all seasons, without the extremes, and I already live here. Nice, albeit short Spring with beautiful blossoms and that first few weeks of relief from Winter; glorious summer; cool crispy Autumn with colorful foliage; and even a bracing, and challenging Winter, but not one impossible to ride in.
Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways. By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-30-16 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-30-16, 02:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Yendor72
@Retro Grouch Are you riding a recumbent tadpole trike?

I will be riding clipped in on my fat bike. I feel more stable and want to avoid any foot slippage.
Yup, recumbent tadpole trike.

I'm reluctant to give up my SPD's due to a thing called "leg suck". If your feet slip off of the pedals, the forward moving tadpole can catch your legs between the road and the front of the cruciform.
Old 09-30-16, 05:31 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

I'm reluctant to give up my SPD's due to a thing called "leg suck". If your feet slip off of the pedals, the forward moving tadpole can catch your legs between the road and the front of the cruciform.
I've never been on an adult trike or recumbent, but my guess would be the inherent stability would virtually reduce the odds of having a "can't unclip fast enough" incident - it's just not gonna tip except in really extreme circumstances, right? So I guess I would conclude clipped in would be fine.

Of course ... When you assume ...
Old 09-30-16, 05:35 PM
DaveQ24

Bikes: Enough plus 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I dont’t think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons. I posted to this thread, “Does a near-perfect weather place exist?.”
Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my “New Cycling Year’s Day.” It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways. By Easter, Spring is making itself known and I’m particularly ready for it.
The actual date varies with the weather here, but usually we have a thaw in March, 2nd or 3rd week, when ice clears up enough to bring out the road, hybrid, or Mt bikes without studs. It can still be 16 degrees at 3 am with refreezing ice but overall I feel safe enough at that point NOT riding something set up for winter. At least until the next blizzard.
Old 09-30-16, 06:56 PM
idiotekniQues

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite - custom 1x9 setup

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
The season is ending in the NorthEast. That's just a fact.
Old 09-30-16, 08:24 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
I rode year round last year, and plan to do the same this year. Only exceptions would be snow/ice. We usually dont get hit until mid Jan through Feb, and besides that 3' last winter we hardly had anything. I just this morning looked at the extended forecast up to the end of December and loved seeing those temps. We are seemingly out of the blazing hot weather now (which, for me, is 80+ lol), unless something changes.

My legs stay pretty warm and ill wear my light "fleece-like leggings" like last year on the 35'-ish below days probably. Its my arms, hands, and face that suffer the most. Iv spent the past two weeks trying to find more appropriate gear for this winter. I usually start with a jacket or something and end up stripping it off 3 miles in... so after looking at handlebar bags/baskets and front racks with no great/affordable options, I just this morning instead bought some of those looped bungees with a ball on the end for rolling my jacket up to strap on the top of the drop bar. Works great, cleaner look/out of the way, and super cheap lol. I cant wait to get out there!
Old 09-30-16, 08:55 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I like riding in the 890s and 90s. It is certainly slowing down for me.
Old 09-30-16, 09:14 PM
Scarbo
Erik the Inveigler

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1310 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Last edited by Scarbo; 10-07-16 at 06:50 AM.
Old 09-30-16, 09:26 PM
Pauley L
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Seasons?

There are only varying clothing and hydration decisions. Many smart folks ride year around. Even if they are stuck in Texas.
Old 10-01-16, 08:43 AM
Yendor72

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2016 Framed Wolftrax

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch

Originally Posted by DaveQ24
I've never been on an adult trike or recumbent, but my guess would be the inherent stability would virtually reduce the odds of having a "can't unclip fast enough" incident - it's just not gonna tip except in really extreme circumstances, right? So I guess I would conclude clipped in would be fine.

Of course ... When you assume ...
That's what I thought, a tadpole is something I would not ride without being clipped in. I rode one for about a year and hated the thought of leg suck.

Oh, and you can easily roll a tadpole. I can show you the nice shark tooth pattern I have on my right leg from when I rolled my tadpole. It's too easy to do on sharp turns. On ice, its not going to be a problem.
Old 10-01-16, 12:51 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
I don't think of a cycling season, but rather a cycling year with a cycle of seasons...

Not to sound religious, but I I like to think of Ash Wednesday as my New Cycling Year's Day.It occurs usually still well into the Winter and I use that forty-day period of Lent as a marker to define a tolerable length of time to go into a rigorous dietary and training mode to shake off the winter blahs, even though I ride during the Winter anyways. By Easter, Spring ismaking itself known and I'm particularly ready for it.
Originally Posted by DaveQ24
The actual date varies with the weather here, but usually we have a thaw in March,2nd or 3rd week, when ice clears up enough to bring out the road, hybrid, or Mt bikes without studs. It can still be 16 degrees at 3 am with refreezing ice but overall I feel safe enough at that point NOT riding something set up for winter. At least until the next blizzard.
I posted on February 29 of this year
Yesterday I decided the streets looked clean enough to bring out the carbon fiber and it was great. Streets were salt free, and the rare sand and debris fields at the side were all less than about two feet wide, and I always stay even fartherwide from the curb.

As an added benefit, it was 43°F, so off with the fleece, balaclava, goggles,and shoe covers, and on with knitted instead of windproof ski gloves.

As noted by many riders with heavy duty beaters and studded tires, riding carbon fiber anew is so smooth. However, the studs won't come off the Beater until at least mid March.
I posted about my first carbon fiber ride of 2015 on March 28:
The road shoulders were free of snow, but with lots of debris, and I had about a six-inch clear path on the shoulder immediately next to upcoming traffic...

The route through Brookline had less traffic but with more narrow shoulders,and some visible residual ice (while on my narrow 25 C slick tires). All the while, particularly in Brookline, old well-known and new unrecognized potholes were prevalent; but by 6:15 AM I had sufficient daylight. All in all,it might have been premature to ride that route on my CF bike, but it still was a pleasure.
This photograph below was taken during the Snowapocalypse of 2015, on February 15
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
President's Day 2015 006.jpg (92.9 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-01-16 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-01-16, 01:29 PM
RonH
Life is good

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey Helix Pro

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
The riding season in west central Florida is year round, but the prime riding season starts late Sept so its getting really nice now.
All you folks stay up north. We don't want you to come down here and clog up the bike trails.

I am a cyclist. I am not the fastest or the fittest. But I will get to where I'm going with a smile on my face.
Old 10-01-16, 01:51 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It took this long for one of us a-holes from California to stomp in here and yell, "What the hell are seasons?" The weather changes a little bit, and the days just get longer or shorter, but that's about it. We generally get our final week of triple-digit temps just before Halloween. It hasn't rained in 5 months, and way back in 2015 we had a grand total of ONE day where the temperature dropped below 32º. I rode all of last winter in regular unlined bibs and a long-sleeve jersey.

How I address the "seasons:" June-August, ride at 6am. December-February, ride at 10am. All other months, ride whenever.
Old 10-01-16, 02:48 PM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
We haven't had a day over 90° all week! This is the real cycling season. Too bad I still have to go to work.
Old 10-01-16, 03:14 PM
jeffreythree

Bikes: '90 Schwinn Traveler(retired), '61 Bottecchia, '86 RS Maxima, '17 Jamis Renegade Exile, '92 Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
I don't see it as the start of the cycling season, but as the start of the season where I don't feel like a pack mule hauling large quantities of water. Especially since my available riding time is mid day.
Old 10-01-16, 03:23 PM
jorglueke

Bikes: 2006 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1972 Schwinn SS

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Riding in winter is purely overcoming the psychology of winter? Not in my book. I lived for decades in the Midwest and was crazy enough to go one year car free which often meant hopping on a bike to get groceries if I wanted to eat. If I had enough clothing on to keep warm in the coldest months when I reached the grocery store I was way overdressed for spending any time in the store.
I'm with you. I rode one year down into the teens, then there's still the dark and ice. Plus the bike trails aren't shoveled so the only option is riding on the road everywhere which I'm just not going to do especially in cold, dark, slippery weather.

After November it's time for the pool.
Old 10-01-16, 07:32 PM
Ilbiker

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Sport 2021 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by jorglueke
I'm with you. I rode one year down into the teens, then there's still the dark and ice. Plus the bike trails aren't shoveled so the only option is riding on the road everywhere which I'm just not going to do especially in cold, dark, slippery weather.

After November it's time for the pool.
Agree with this. Most of my riding and running is on county roads that are not plowed in winter. These roads will stay icy for days and days. Soo, no riding on them. Plus, daylight or the lack there of is another issue. If this winter is like the last one, I'm sure I'll be riding until December without many worries. I've got enough clothes from running that I should be able to adapt for riding. I don't mind running with snow on the ground, but icy, nope. Certainly doesn't hurt to wait, I've got nothing to prove by running/riding in really crappy weather. There's always the gym, which I make good use of. I'll also be heading to the local Jr college pool.
Old 10-02-16, 04:59 AM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
I rode year round last year, and plan to do the same this year. Only exceptions would be snow/ice. We usually dont get hit until mid Jan through Feb, and besides that 3' last winter we hardly had anything. I just this morning looked at the extended forecast up to the end of December and loved seeing those temps. We are seemingly out of the blazing hot weather now (which, for me, is 80+ lol), unless something changes.

My legs stay pretty warm and ill wear my light "fleece-like leggings" like last year on the 35'-ish below days probably. Its my arms, hands, and face that suffer the most. Iv spent the past two weeks trying to find more appropriate gear for this winter. I usually start with a jacket or something and end up stripping it off 3 miles in... so after looking at handlebar bags/baskets and front racks with no great/affordable options, I just this morning instead bought some of those looped bungees with a ball on the end for rolling my jacket up to strap on the top of the drop bar. Works great, cleaner look/out of the way, and super cheap lol. I cant wait to get out there!
See my cargo net hating thread. Front wheel would be even worse, big possibility of injury. If you're still interested in bungee, I'd suggest getting bungee rope without the hooks and tie it on, semi-permanent like.
Old 10-02-16, 08:25 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Outside of Chicago, winter can be rough. The issue isn't so much temperatures, ice, salt and slush are more the limiting factor. On dry roads, I can comfortably ride at sub zero (F) temps with surprisingly little clothing. However, if conditions are only slightly icy cycling gets treacherous and unsafe. A thin skim of ice on roads is absolutely terrifying on a bike.

To me, the game changer was a fat bike. With the fattie I can plow through snow and (some) ice pretty easily. I have a large local rail trail system that is generally completely empty in snowy conditions. I can happily ride for hours in heavy snowstorm on the fatty. I'm only going 7 mph but it's one hell of a workout and is great for developing bike handling skills. I'll bet a regular mountain bike is almost as good. I also bet that studded tires on a fattie would make me pretty much unstoppable. I actually can't wait for the first snow storm this winter.
Old 10-02-16, 08:45 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
... However, if conditions are only slightly icy cycling gets treacherous and unsafe. A thin skim of ice on roads is absolutely terrifying on a bike.

To me, the game changer was a fat bike. With the fattie I can plow through snow and (some) ice pretty easily. I have a large local rail trail system that is generally completely empty in snowy conditions. I can happily ride for hours in heavy snowstorm on the fatty. I'm only going 7 mph but it's one hell of a workout and is great for developing bike handling skills. I'll bet a regular mountain bike is almost as good. I also bet that studded tires on a fattie would make me pretty much unstoppable. I actually can't wait for the first snow storm this winter.
. I agree completely. My first winter, I commuted with a beater mountain bike with studded tires. I had to change my route as it still couldn't plow through the snow of the trail I normally take. I rode a fat bike with studded tires on my second winter and it was so much better. And I didn't need to use the alternate route either.
Old 10-02-16, 06:09 PM
Hardrock23

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Prelude

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Viich
See my cargo net hating thread. Front wheel would be even worse, big possibility of injury. If you're still interested in bungee, I'd suggest getting bungee rope without the hooks and tie it on, semi-permanent like.
Wow! I'm sorry that happened to you! I was thinking of using a net first, either alone or with a basket but thought it wouldn't be snug enough to be secure, plus i thought anything with a hook might more easily come undone. So i'm using bungee balls (really short and thick/strong). I have a short one piece velcro strap that ill add to further secure every piece to the bike, in case one somehow snaps. I'll keep watch on things regardless, but for now this is all i can afford. I do have a beautiful small/simple Soma front rack in my wishlist, for when i'm able to get it...Though i'm also considering a Blackburn Outpost cargo bottle cage or Salsa Anything cage. I think those are neat, but they don't look good lol. I'm up to hearing thoughts or other tricks and/or recommendations though, of course!

This is how it will be, for now anyway...I just threw it on there real quick for a pic. The velcro is in the car right now, so i didn't bother throwing it on. The bungee balls will strap behind the cages for the days ill likely need them, and velcro will go in the saddle bag.
Attached Images
bun.jpg (70.1 KB, 51 views)
bun1.jpg (48.8 KB, 51 views)
bun2.jpg (55.9 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by Hardrock23; 10-02-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-04-16, 07:54 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 131 Posts
Originally Posted by Hardrock23
Wow! I'm sorry that happened to you! I was thinking of using a net first, either alone or with a basket but thought it wouldn't be snug enough to be secure, plus i thought anything with a hook might more easily come undone. So i'm using bungee balls (really short and thick/strong). I have a short one piece velcro strap that ill add to further secure every piece to the bike, in case one somehow snaps. I'll keep watch on things regardless, but for now this is all i can afford. I do have a beautiful small/simple Soma front rack in my wishlist, for when i'm able to get it...Though i'm also considering a Blackburn Outpost cargo bottle cage or Salsa Anything cage. I think those are neat, but they don't look good lol. I'm up to hearing thoughts or other tricks and/or recommendations though, of course!

This is how it will be, for now anyway...I just threw it on there real quick for a pic. The velcro is in the car right now, so i didn't bother throwing it on. The bungee balls will strap behind the cages for the days ill likely need them, and velcro will go in the saddle bag.
Oh, that looks good - I was thinking bungee cords with hooks.
Old 10-05-16, 09:23 AM
Jeremy_S

Bikes: 15 Fuji Altamira 2.0

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Summer riding in texas takes some effort I'll give it that. Between some trips to the desert for long periods of time in my younger days to working in South Texas 84 hour weeks on drilling rigs when I started out in oil and gas I'm pretty good with any temp except extreme cold. My lungs hurt like hell when it's below 30.

Right now is perfect. I'm actually out in the middle of a ride right now kicked back watching the Trinity river creep by. I'll probably be out all day today trying make up for taking a few months off early summer due to an injury. Gotta catch up and make that annual goal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.