Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Hitch mount bike carrier security questions?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Hitch mount bike carrier security questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-17, 07:36 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Aidoneus
I bought a Swagman XC Cross Country 2 Bike rack, I haven't bought any locking pin
gotcha. I 1st tried the locking pin I had but it didn't seem to thread easily & I didn't want to force it, so I bought one from the rack manufacturer thinking it would thread in easier but it didn't. so then I used the anti-seize lube. so now I have 2 locking pins. I keep the swagman pin in the swagman rack in the basement & I keep the other pin in my other rack. I have a small subaru 2 bike rack that I use mostly cuz it's just me and my bike. since I use my rack pretty often & since I live in a safe area I don't use the lock, but it's good to have a threaded pin. it eliminates any rattle in the hitch. if you go to that jeep thread of mine I think you'll see a hitch cargo carrier with it's own threaded pin (no lock, just a cotter pin) works just fine

EDIT: that other threaded pin w/o lock is shown in this thread
https://jeepcherokeeclub.com/49-exter...carrier-2.html

Last edited by rumrunn6; 03-24-17 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-24-17, 08:08 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a Swagman XC Cross Country 2 as well. For stability, use an anti-wobble hitch tightener like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Stainless-S.../dp/B01DOJGD2M

As for security:
I have a good quality hitch-pin lock. Can't remember which one; I bought it at an RV store when we had a trailer RV.
For day-to-day security (I live in the suburbs and work in a small town), I just loop a cable around the bikes. But after going on a trip and leaving a cable key at home, I can tell you that cables suck - took me less than a second to cut through an $80 cable with a pair of $15, 12" bolt cutters.
I'm concerned with an upcoming trip to Louisiana and will probably be investing in the best Kevlar-coated chain I can find.
Old 03-24-17, 03:32 PM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It seems I should have posted more information. I have a 2003 Eclipse GTS, which came with a rear spoiler. As far as I could determine, the spoiler precluded finding a trunk rack. I finally gave up and installed a hitch. Because of the age and mileage of my vehicle, though, I chose to save some money and install a 1.25" hitch. So, unfortunately, some of the suggestions are inapplicable for my situation. But thank you for taking the time to try helping me!
Old 03-24-17, 03:38 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
I'm concerned with an upcoming trip to Louisiana and will probably be investing in the best Kevlar-coated chain I can find.
I bought this kevlar coated cable about a year ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 03-24-17, 03:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I have a heavy Yakima bumper hitch-type hanging rack. It has a locking bolt on the rack to lock it to the bumper hitch. I use a fat 10mm cable and a big beefy ABUS U-lock to lock the bikes onto the rack and loop the cable through the steel loops on the bumper hitch. Even if someone were to compromise the lock and cable it would still take a few minutes to untangle the bikes and/or get the rack off the hitch. It's not easy to get the bikes onto the rack or off to begin with...also a frustration factor for this type of rack, but it is more secure.

Do I leave my bikes for an extended period un-attended on the rack? No
Do I trust the set-up to stymie a thief long enough for me to run out and stop them? Yes if I can see the rack.
If I have to leave the rack un-attended and out of sight I add a really beefy ABUS 10mm chain and motorcycle lock to the set-up. Three locks in all. That should send most bike theives packing because it would take them considerable effort and time to extricate my bikes from the rack.

The rack I have is an older version of this one:
https://www.yakima.com/fulltilt

-

Last edited by drlogik; 03-24-17 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-24-17, 04:09 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I bought a Swagman XC Cross Country 2 Bike rack, I haven't bought any locking pin.
I have a Swagman XTC2. I lost my pin, and thought ,,,"no problem. I'll just buy a locking pin or a regular non-lock replacement". I removed the threaded square piece inside the receiver tube and took it to several stores, starting with a trailer shop. No one had a pin with a matching thread. It's not metric. It's not American Standard.

I think it's English Whitworth, used on old cars and motorcycles. I finally got a 9/16" bolt and some nuts. I pushed the nut into the receiver tube with some cardboard to keep it aligned, and had a makeshift pin so I could use the rack. I found the pin on the garage floor a little later, so I'm good again.
Old 03-24-17, 04:28 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc_Wui
I have a Swagman XTC2. I lost my pin, and thought ,,,"no problem. I'll just buy a locking pin or a regular non-lock replacement". I removed the threaded square piece inside the receiver tube and took it to several stores, starting with a trailer shop. No one had a pin with a matching thread. It's not metric. It's not American Standard.

I think it's English Whitworth, used on old cars and motorcycles. I finally got a 9/16" bolt and some nuts. I pushed the nut into the receiver tube with some cardboard to keep it aligned, and had a makeshift pin so I could use the rack. I found the pin on the garage floor a little later, so I'm good again.
Interesting! I think that explains the difficulty some people have reported at Amazon.com with this rack and locking bolts. Thanks for sharing this information!
Old 03-24-17, 05:15 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I bought this kevlar coated cable about a year ago: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Great price. Cheap enough to buy one just for testing.
Old 03-25-17, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
2003 Eclipse GTS, with a rear spoiler. As far as I could determine, the spoiler precluded finding a trunk rack. I finally gave up and installed a hitch. Because of the age and mileage of my vehicle, though, I chose to save some money and install a 1.25" hitch. So, unfortunately, some of the suggestions are inapplicable for my situation. But thank you for taking the time to try helping me!
an over the top style rack accommodates the fin / spoiler. most of the the weight of the rack sits on the back bumper. this one (on my 2014 Jeep Cherokee) is for 3 bikes but I got it for just my & if my Wife does with me. once you have it adjusted for your particular vehicle it's a simple matter to put on & take off

since I have 2 kids & we needed to carry 4 bikes for summer vacations I had U-Haul install a 1.25" class II hitch. (what class is your hitch?)

my last car, a 2011 Subaru Forester, had an factory 1.25" hitch but it was only a class I so could only carry 2 bikes. I had to use 2 racks to carry 4 bikes. I tried the Swagman with 4 bikes but I could hear terrible sounds as the load was stressing the frame of the Subaru. it also bounced terribly. 2 racks worked perfectly and the load was closer to the car

Old 03-25-17, 08:55 AM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
U-Haul installed a Class 1 hitch. Between the large spoiler and the glass trunk lid on my car, a hitch seemed the only solution. Other than wishing I could lock the rack on the hitch, I am content.