Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can't ride clipless what's a good platform

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 04-10-17, 09:03 PM
Bovabikes22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tore my Achilles and shattered my ankle last summer and don't have the motion to ride clipless anymore. Looking for opinions on platforms or combos.
Old 04-10-17, 09:25 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 139 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5703 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,343 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

MKS has a few nice models to choose from. Probably what's going to matter most to you is width and price.

You might also consider the options to fit to clips. Odds are a toe clip with the strap kept loose will give you some level of retention, yet allow enough movement.

BTW- you might want to ride with the pedal farther back under your foot than normal to lower the load on you Achilles, at least at the beginning.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 04-10-17, 09:29 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Originally Posted by Bovabikes22
Tore my Achilles and shattered my ankle last summer and don't have the motion to ride clipless anymore. Looking for opinions on platforms or combos.
After I shattered my ankle, I used Five-Ten shoes with Azonic 420 pedals and Black-ops pedals.

Eventually I went back to clipless (XTR trail pedals). Shimano 2-bolt SPDs allow me to rotate inward to release, which helps with the range of motion.

Sorry to go off-topic here, but you should get ahold of one of these: Wobble board

Here is what it looks like now:

Last edited by Cyclist0108; 09-18-19 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 10:27 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
I love my gripkings (MKS Lambda). Sticky, not too small.
Old 04-11-17, 06:35 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts
Wellgo makes a full range of platform pedals, some of which a very svelte. I ordered mine from Blue Sky and love them. https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...-vendor-wellgo

Beware of Amazon "Wellgo" pedals. They may not be.

These are the ones I use. https://blueskycycling.com/collectio...latform-pedals
Old 04-11-17, 08:19 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano makes a version of their cleats that allow you to clip out in a variety of directions, if you have any sort of motion left, I'd look at those. (It's for their mountain pedals, not road.)
Old 04-11-17, 08:20 AM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/Ergon-pc2-ped.../dp/B004PE38Q0
Old 04-11-17, 08:21 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Shimano makes a version of their cleats that allow you to clip out in a variety of directions, if you have any sort of motion left, I'd look at those. (It's for their mountain pedals, not road.)

Yup, don't have an ankle on the left side. I most often use Eggs as they are easy to get in and out of.

On my fun around bike I use a Shimano MX copy made by Sunlite or the like...they work great.
Old 04-11-17, 08:28 AM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Yup, don't have an ankle on the left side. I most often use Eggs as they are easy to get in and out of.

On my fun around bike I use a Shimano MX copy made by Sunlite or the like...they work great.
Yes eggbeaters are also easy to get out of (and are some of the "loosest" retaining pedals out there.) However, I still think you have to clip out left or right, whereas the shimano pedals "supposedly" let you clip out at a variety of angles.
Old 04-11-17, 08:32 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by corrado33
Yes eggbeaters are also easy to get out of (and are some of the "loosest" retaining pedals out there.) However, I still think you have to clip out left or right, whereas the shimano pedals "supposedly" let you clip out at a variety of angles.
Yes, the cleat has "dots" that indicate the angle of release. You have a shallow or deep release setting according to which way you align it, and can even further facilitate the release by angling the cleat towards the direction you want to come out. I would say the only disadvantage is they can sometimes be too easy to come out of. Since I really can't/don't stand in the saddle under power I don't have concern over it.
Old 04-11-17, 10:48 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
While deciding on some expensive metal platform pedals, try a set of Stolen Bike Thermalite pedals -- plain, with molded in nibs, not the SP or Throttle. They cost only $15 or so, work great and are tough. Good and grippy too, haven't slipped off even with wet and muddy shoes.

I bought a pair for my old Univega hybridized mountain bike last fall while trying to decide on a "better" set of platforms. But these are so good I'm keeping 'em. After a little break-in ride they're smooth.

I've crashed once and dragged the pedals on tight turns while pedaling a couple of times -- no problems. Just some scuffing of the plastic material, no damage to the axle/spindle.

I mostly wear Merrell cycling shoes or my old low top Montrail walking shoes. Occasionally I'll wear my Herman Survivors hiking boots or thin soled lightweight deck shoes and need to adjust the saddle height a bit to compensate.

And the plain Thermalites come in several colors, if you're into that sorta thing. I got blue to go with my Univega's blue-over-black spatter paint. The Thermalite SP with replaceable steel pins (SP) are black only. They also have the aluminum Throttle models with replaceable steel pins and sealed or unsealed bearings. Great values, tough stuff, made by a company that specializes in BMX.
Old 04-11-17, 11:00 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Originally Posted by linberl
I love my gripkings (MKS Lambda). Sticky, not too small.
+ 1. These are my commuter pedals and they are awesome.
Old 04-11-17, 11:32 AM
Fett2oo5

Bikes: '91 Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use pedals that are very similar to this design (can't remember exactly, and I'm not near my bike atm)
Performance Bike: RaceFace Aeffect Mountain Bike Pedals

The point being the peg/spikes that you can adjust and replace, are very grippy. I use pedals like these on my road bike.
Old 04-11-17, 11:58 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
My preference is a small pedal with a traditional look. MKS Sylvan Touring is a "normal" size and the Sylvan Stream is a more compact version of the same pedal. Add clips and straps if desired. Good bearings, serviceable, good grip.

Old 04-11-17, 12:03 PM
FrontRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
VP Vice, Spank Oozy, and if you want/need a really big platform, Pedaling Innovations' Catalyst.
Old 04-11-17, 01:01 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
I've got some of the MKS Touring pedals. Fine if you have a stiff soled shoe, not so comfortable if you are in street shoes for longer distances. I've also got some of the MKS pedals with the point on the ends, that I don't care much for, you need a narrow shoe to fit them comfortably.

I bought some of these to try to rectify those problems for my next set: Wellgo V8 Copy Flat Pedals | Chain Reaction Cycles. Look decent on my desk, but still waiting to be installed.
Old 04-11-17, 01:50 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

My first post-injury bike shoe (which goes nicely with the above spikey flat pedals) was this:

Five Ten | Impact High Downhill Mountain Bike Shoe | TEAM BLACK

It gives great ankle support and protection, but gets a bit hot in the summer. I now use the low-top version of this on my mtn bike.
Old 04-11-17, 02:33 PM
jonc123
Ozark Hillbilly

Bikes: Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Mikashima Industrial Company (MKS) Sylvan Touring, Made in Japan:

Old 04-11-17, 02:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4742 Post(s)
Liked 3,860 Times in 2,509 Posts
I don't know your situation but if you cannot ride clipless because you cannot do the rotation to get out, but want the secure foothold and ability to pull up without coming off the pedal, there is another approach. Sadly, that approach is as old as the hills and will mark you as a dinosaur, but it works as well as it did 100 years ago. Toeclips and straps. If you really want to pull up, old-fashioned slotted cleats.

If you go that approach, know that there are modern slotted cleats that work on modern shoes - Exustar track cleats. (Get the $20 cleats, not the $70 cleats. The expensive ones ore for velodrome sprinters, lock to specific pedals and it is expected you are riding to a stop at either your coach to hold you or the velodrom rail. The cheap ones are on the LOOK bolt pattern (three bolt) so you do need "road" shoes to use them. Best part (relative to the old days): installation is easy. So is adjustment. So is replacement. And they are aluminum with deep slots, so all anyone could ask for as a quality connection to your pedals.

If you do want to use toeclips, contact me (either PM when you get the required posts and can or quote this post so I get E-mailed). There are a lot of little tricks that make toeclips work a lot better. It's an almost lost art.

Ben
Old 04-11-17, 03:31 PM
coupster

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Sorry to hear of your issues. Take a look at the offerings of Power Grips. I've got the original diagonal strap and find them easier to use and as secure as traditional clips and straps. But they do require you to pivot your foot but without considerable force. Recently they expanded their lineup with a straight across strap that won't force you to rotate your foot. They attach to just about any standard platform pedal and are even sold as a complete package that includes the pedals.
Hope you heal quickly and completely.
Old 04-11-17, 03:33 PM
FrontRanger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
My first post-injury bike shoe (which goes nicely with the above spikey flat pedals) was this:

Five Ten | Impact High Downhill Mountain Bike Shoe | TEAM BLACK

It gives great ankle support and protection, but gets a bit hot in the summer. I now use the low-top version of this on my mtn bike.
I'm a big fan of 5.10's shoes. Their Freerider EPS model was an absolute godsend this past winter.
Old 04-11-17, 04:05 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
A nice platform pedal with toe clip is the White Industries pedal with Bruce Gordon Half Clips. The half clip so that it is easier to get your foot on the pedal and just stops if from moving around. The pedal has a nice flat surface with a big flip tap to get the pedal where you need it. It is expensive but you can see and feel the quality. Plus it is made in the US if that is your thing.

Now I don't ride with toe clips so I just use the MKS Sneaker pedal (RMX) and they work just fine. They were inexpensive. I also own and have tried the MKS Grip Kings. They are nice but quite large and they look weird. I put a pair on my wife's bike and she hasn't complained.

For my son's city bike I installed MEC platform pedals with pins. He says he likes them and hasn't taken me up on my offer to use the White Industries (I have two pair just sitting around for some future build).

People have given quite a few choices in this thread, so there is no shortage of decent pedals.
Old 04-11-17, 04:32 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Pop on pair of Skater shoes and give these a try. I like them for casual riding. I still use speed plays for my road bikes by my FG/SS has these.

Redline Monster PC Pedals | Redline Bicycles
Old 04-11-17, 04:46 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
MKS GR9. I use these with "clips and straps" and have had good luck with them. I have good retention but can get get out them quickly as need be.
Old 04-11-17, 04:47 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Originally Posted by wgscott
After I shattered my ankle, I used Five-Ten shoes with Azonic 420 pedals and Black-ops pedals.
Unless you have really big feet, the Azonics would be my first recommendation. My wife and kids ride with these all the time, and I still have them on my mountain bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.