Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Increasing price before Black Friday sale?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Increasing price before Black Friday sale?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-17, 03:28 PM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Sorry I missed this before, are you seriously thinking of the giant 70 liter ones? I have never actually seen a pair of them, only the photos.
Nah, if I had 70 L, no doubt I would just carry too much. I mentioned them to compare the weights. As far as I can tell, the Backpackers max out at 40 L, though, so I am leaning toward the 52 L Lone Peaks or the GT-54. I currently have some 45 L Axiom panniers, and I would like a bit more volume as I only have a front rack platform, which is good enough for my tent and let’s me do grocery (ahem, beer) runs after setting up camp.

Maybe, someday, I might replace my front rack so that I can add a small pair of panniers on the front. BTW, I bought a frame bag for my Ogre, but just one tube for my 29 x 2.5 tires almost fills it; add my basic first aid kit or small tool roll and it’s stuffed. (My knees stay over the pedals; I see some people riding with their knees way out to the sides, so maybe overstuffed frame bags would work for them? )
Old 10-25-17, 05:00 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
I agree with Tourists take on using the rack pack. I have a med size one, it maybe is the 30l one, but cant remember, looks the same size as his. The option to pack stuff differently with it is the advantage, and the easy on/off aspect of the clips work well.

On my longer trip this year, I hummed and hawed, but finally took it, didnt need all the space, but it was handy during the trip to have lots of spare room to throw extra food in etc, and I also had my tent in it, along with my extra shoes, and extra food.

as noted, it does put weight higher up, so I specifically learned not to put too much weight up there, as it made my Troll a little more "waggy".

Ive seen the 70l Ortliebs, the Plus versions are remarkedely light considering the storage space. I figure they would be handy if you had to bring more bulky, cold weather stuff, clothes, sleeping bag etc, that wouldnt weigh a lot, but take up space.

and yes, the weight would be lower, which is generally a good idea and works better than higher up.

oh, Aidoneus, as per taking too much stuff, ulitmately in the end, the only way to really learn this is by touring and taking too much stuff, and learning, and then taking less stuff the next time. (time of year, where you are going etc all factors in this)
Old 10-25-17, 06:25 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
oh, Aidoneus, as per taking too much stuff, ulitmately in the end, the only way to really learn this is by touring and taking too much stuff, and learning, and then taking less stuff the next time. (time of year, where you are going etc all factors in this)
Sure, I have done a lot of long distance hiking and camping in mild seasons, as well as a moderate amount of snow camping. Thus, I have at least two sets of pretty much everything: 3-season, single-wall tent vs 4-season, double-wall tent; lightweight quilt vs heavy down bag; thin sleeping pad vs down pad; etc.

I am hoping to figure out a flexible pannier/bag combo that will cover any trip on-road, off-road, mild weather, cold weather, etc., that I want to take. Knowing myself, in the end I’ll probably find justification for buying multiple systems. I just have to hide the bills from my better half...
Old 10-25-17, 06:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I have been thinking about purchasing the Arkel GT-54 panniers. Until today, they were listed at $400, and before purchasing I was hoping to see a Black Friday sale--say 10% off, like I have seen in previous Black Friday ads. Today the price went to $440. I guess it's time to reconsider and watch for a sale from Ortlieb or another maker.
Arkel is Canadian they have different holidays than the USA..

so Day after US thanksgiving is probably just another Friday north of the Border..

Old 10-25-17, 07:46 PM
skookum
cyclotourist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Arkel is Canadian they have different holidays than the USA..

so Day after US thanksgiving is probably just another Friday north of the Border..

Canadian Thanksgiving is in October it is already past, but Black Friday knows no borders. Whether Arkel discounts their gear that day, I do not know, but it's worth keeping an eye on it.
Old 10-25-17, 07:50 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 972 Times in 795 Posts
Originally Posted by Aidoneus
Sure, I have done a lot of long distance hiking and camping in mild seasons, as well as a moderate amount of snow camping. Thus, I have at least two sets of pretty much everything: 3-season, single-wall tent vs 4-season, double-wall tent; lightweight quilt vs heavy down bag; thin sleeping pad vs down pad; etc.

I am hoping to figure out a flexible pannier/bag combo that will cover any trip on-road, off-road, mild weather, cold weather, etc., that I want to take. Knowing myself, in the end I’ll probably find justification for buying multiple systems. I just have to hide the bills from my better half...
In general, having front and rear panniers is nice simply because not having all the load at the rear makes the bike nicer to ride. The Ogre is surely very similar to the Troll in that the frame is reasonably stout, and the front fork is good and stout, and so with a heavier front load than I have ever had on other bikes, the Troll was very composed. A good sturdy front rack helped, but the troll and ogre forks and beefy and handle front weight very well I find.

you'll have to figure out what sort of carrying systems you want or need, but at least you have all the camping stuff already, so once you figure how much space you need and what you'll carry, you can go from there and perhaps go the front pannier route.
Old 10-26-17, 09:07 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Over the years, I got a few Ortlieb closeouts resold at Sierra Trading Post..
Old 10-26-17, 04:28 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Over the years, I got a few Ortlieb closeouts resold at Sierra Trading Post..
Thanks, I will watch their site, also.
Old 10-28-17, 02:42 PM
Aidoneus

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I called Lone Peak to get some info about their Mount Superior panniers. When I said that I would probably be looking to buy something around Black Friday, the salesman (owner?) offered me a 15% off deal and I took it. Earlier today, I ordered a new front rack with high and low rails to replace my platform rack. I think that will allow me to move my waterproof Axiom panniers up front to hold clothes.

I am still hunting for a replacement for a small Axiom handlebar bag I used to hold my iPad mini. After my iPad mini died, I replaced the now discontinued mini with the larger iPad (2017) and need a bigger bag. Jones Loop handlebar has been both a blessing (hands and shoulders) and a curse (suitable handlebar bag).