Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Strava vs. RideWithGPS

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Strava vs. RideWithGPS

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 07:58 PM
Aidoneus

Bikes: 2015 Surly Ogre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers
I started running Strava simultaneously when I learned of Relive. I only run it for that purpose. One thing that I would like but not paying only for this feature is the heatmap. That would take care of my wanting to map all my riding on a single map.
I just have the free version of Strava, but this site gives me my personal heatmap for any timeframe I choose: Strava Multiple Ride Mapper
Old 11-20-17, 08:36 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,453 Times in 1,430 Posts
I started out using a Garmin Edge 200. Then I switched to using ridewithgps on my iphone. I don't remember how, but I think I brought my Garmin data with me to my RWG data log. I'm using the phone app to collect new data.

So how do I download it from RWG and then upload it to Strava? Or, even better, how do I get this to happen automatically? Hmm, maybe there is an IFTTT way.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-20-17, 07:36 PM
qajaq

Bikes: TREK Domane 5.2 Giant Defy Wilier Triestina Cento

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Tom,

When you open a ride in Ridew/GPS there are three tabs in the upper right hand corner...Overview, Metrics and EXPORT.
Click EXPORT and select .gpx file. The file now resides in the downloads folder on your computer.
Open Strava, on the upper right click the red circle with the + sign and upload the .gpx file.

I don't think there is an automatic way to do it however.
Old 11-20-17, 07:49 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3225 Post(s)
Liked 2,056 Times in 1,174 Posts
Originally Posted by qajaq
Tom,

When you open a ride in Ridew/GPS there are three tabs in the upper right hand corner...Overview, Metrics and EXPORT.
Click EXPORT and select .gpx file. The file now resides in the downloads folder on your computer.
Open Strava, on the upper right click the red circle with the + sign and upload the .gpx file.

I don't think there is an automatic way to do it however.
It’s ride file by ride file unfortunately.

I only know this as I spent some time transferring rides from Endomomdo.
Old 11-30-17, 03:01 PM
davlafont
No newbie

Bikes: 2001 Specialized Expedition Sport | 1972 Raleigh Sprite 27 | 1973 Raleigh Super Course | 1984 Trek 720 | 2019 Cannondale SuperX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Great thread (mostly). I've wondered about Strava and this discussion has answered my own questions. I began digitally tracking my riding with MMR a couple of iPhones ago. I enjoyed the historical log and the mapping more than anything. I learned about RWG when an event I entered offered the route via RWG. I jumped shipped right away and paid for the subscription shortly after. I don't even remember which paid feature I wanted to use but I'm sure it had to do with planning routes. I'm casually social with my rides. I'll post up to Facebook. I've enabled segments and even created a couple for my own purposes. Nothing in this discussion makes me want to add Strava to the mix. Glad I clicked!
Old 08-24-18, 02:49 PM
jkretsch

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No one has mentioned performance of these apps running on Android. I just did a test comparing RWGPS and Strava. I rode the same 30 minute route using RWGPS the first time and Strava the second time. Then I compared the Android battery usage stats and there was a significant difference in battery use between the two Apps. Strava used considerably more CPU (5 minutes vs. 40 seconds for RWGPS) which appears to be attributed to "Keep Awake" which was only 8s on RWGPS but a whopping 22 minutes on Strava. Based on these results, I would expect RWGPS to be much more battery-friendly when compared to Strava.
Old 08-25-18, 09:08 AM
bgraham111

Bikes: 1996 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS, 2011 Fuji Newest 1.0, 2015 GRC-Single Gecko, 2016 Waterford RS-22

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by machka
i design routes in ride with gps, and produce the cue sheets etc.

I track routes i'm currently riding with strava.
100%