Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Improperly built wheel?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Improperly built wheel?

Old 02-08-18, 01:33 PM
harshbarj

Bikes: Trek Belleville, Workcycles opa, Schwinn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Improperly built wheel?

I had a wheel built at the LBS and I keep breaking spokes at the nipple. First one broke less than 2 weeks in and another breaks virtually every second week. I'm now on my third broken spoke. To me it looks like the wheel was improperly built as most of the spokes have a good bend or sudden curve in them near the nipple. To the point they look like they could break just sitting there. I don't build wheels(yet) but my understanding was the nipple should be positioned to be in the same direction as the spoke, not a few degrees off. Sorry I don't have a picture, but I could get one in about 2 hours (at work atm).

I had the wheel built with a sturmy archer RXL-RD5, which is a rather large hub. I ended up using a 700c double wall rim with eyelets. They insisted on 2mm spokes, which may also be a problem on a utility bike, long term.

Thanks!
Old 02-08-18, 02:00 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
Take the wheel back to the builder.

Some rims have Right/Left nipple holes. Some don't.

So, if your holes are right/left (either location, or drilling direction), and they got it built backwards, then you could have serious issues.

If it was done wrong, I'd insist on all new spokes.

BTW, what size of rim is this? 700c? 20"?

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-08-18 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 02:13 PM
Ghrumpy

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

So, if your holes are right/left (either location, or drilling direction), and they got it built backwards, then you could have serious issues.

This is probably what happened. That hub has pretty wide flanges, so the spoke hole angle error at the rim is going to be increased compared to a "regular" hub, even on a 622/700C rim. Butted spokes will not help if this is the problem.

If the spoke hole angle mismatch isn't the problem, the spokes should get a "correction" in them before final tensioning. I like to do that right after lacing, in fact. If you bend the spokes a couple inches above the threads so the nipple comes straight out of the rim, the bend will help move the stress away from the threads even after the wheel is tensioned.
Old 02-08-18, 02:18 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts

99.9% chance that you are correct. I'd bet it's a rim that is intended to be cross laced (NDS rim hole to DS hub flange) and the builder laced it the "normal" way. I've seen that, and it looks exactly as OP has described, nasty.

And I agree, I'd demand all new spokes and nipples. I'd also want to take a GOOD look at the nipple beds on the rim to check for damage, since they were being vigorously yanked in the wrong direction.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 02-08-18 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 02:19 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghrumpy
This is probably what happened. That hub has pretty wide flanges, so the spoke hole angle error at the rim is going to be increased compared to a "regular" hub, even on a 622/700C rim. Butted spokes will not help if this is the problem.

If the spoke hole angle mismatch isn't the problem, the spokes should get a "correction" in them before final tensioning. I like to do that right after lacing, in fact. If you bend the spokes a couple inches above the threads so the nipple comes straight out of the rim, the bend will help move the stress away from the threads even after the wheel is tensioned.
I have had many wheels built over the last 10 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen spokes bend after the nipple. I'll look at the rim and see if the model number is there and see if if has right left holes. I'll also try and grab a photo as I have never see spokes bent like this, and it could be important for others to know what to look out for.

I have this same place building another wheel which should be done next week. Needless to say I'll be looking over it carefully. My bicycles are my cars and I can't be having this.
Old 02-08-18, 02:28 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by harshbarj
I'll look at the rim and see if the model number is there and see if if has right left holes.
Some rims have right/left holes but the spokes are intended to leave the rim and go to the opposite side of the hub. If you look at this photo you can see how the nipple bed aims the nipple to the opposing flange. And you can imagine how bad things will be if the spoke is sent to the wrong side.

Old 02-08-18, 02:34 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
How many crosses?

Ideally you'd like for the spokes to be tangent at the hub flanges and radial at the rim. You can't have both so every wheel is a compromise. If you have a hub that has unusually tall flanges, the spoke angle relative to the rim is increased. My bet, without seeing your wheel, is that reducing the number of crosses will solve your spoke breakage problem.

FWIW, I have a personal friend who owned a Bike Friday triple that had an IGH rear wheel. From the beginning it broke spokes at the nipple at an alarming rate. He had the wheel replaced by Bike Friday and later rebuilt by another wheel builder but the spokes kept breaking. He brought it to me and I rebuilt the wheel with fewer crosses. Problem solved!
Old 02-08-18, 02:43 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
How many crosses?

Ideally you'd like for the spokes to be tangent at the hub flanges and radial at the rim. You can't have both so every wheel is a compromise. If you have a hub that has unusually tall flanges, the spoke angle relative to the rim is increased. My bet, without seeing your wheel, is that reducing the number of crosses will solve your spoke breakage problem.

FWIW, I have a personal friend who owned a Bike Friday triple that had an IGH rear wheel. From the beginning it broke spokes at the nipple at an alarming rate. He had the wheel replaced by Bike Friday and later rebuilt by another wheel builder but the spokes kept breaking. He brought it to me and I rebuilt the wheel with fewer crosses. Problem solved!
Just one at the center, If I am recalling correctly. In about 45-50 minutes I am on my lunch break and I'll snap a photo.
Old 02-08-18, 02:48 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
Just one at the center, If I am recalling correctly. In about 45-50 minutes I am on my lunch break and I'll snap a photo.
That doesn't sound right to me. I'm betting on 3 or even 4 because that's what's common. The first cross is usually way up at the hub flange.
Old 02-08-18, 02:49 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts

BTW, what size of rim is this? 700c? 20"?
While I agree that it could be a "right hand" rim, those are incredibly rare. I've only ever seen one since I started building wheels around 1986 and I've built dozens of wheels.

It's more likely that the builder picked the wrong first spoke hole and laced it wrong. Depending on the way it was built, they may have rotated the hub the wrong way after radially lacing half of each side.

I would agree that new spokes are warranted. Perhaps a new rim as well.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-08-18, 03:33 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
I have had many wheels built over the last 10 years, and this is the first time I have ever seen spokes bend after the nipple. I'll look at the rim and see if the model number is there and see if if has right left holes. I'll also try and grab a photo as I have never see spokes bent like this, and it could be important for others to know what to look out for.

I have this same place building another wheel which should be done next week. Needless to say I'll be looking over it carefully. My bicycles are my cars and I can't be having this.
Number of spokes can be an issue.
If doing a 32H 3X, I wouldn't be surprised to see this problem with a "large diameter" hub. Maybe even 2X?? I just don't have any experience with IGH's to say.
1X in the middle probably also has another X just inside the hub flange which IS counted.
The brand/model of the rim might also help. If a common rim, maybe someone can take a pic of their nipples.

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 02-08-18 at 03:43 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 03:49 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Ok. The rim is a sun-ringle cr18
https://sun-ringle.com/road/rims/cr18/

Excuse the grime, it's winter and the streets are a mess.
Old 02-08-18, 03:50 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
That doesn't sound right to me. I'm betting on 3 or even 4 because that's what's common. The first cross is usually way up at the hub flange.
So 2 and 3 if you count the overlap at the hub.
Old 02-08-18, 03:52 PM
jj1091
Mike J

Bikes: 1975 Peugeot PX-50L, 1971 Peugeot PX-10, 1974 Peugeot PX-8

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I agree that it could be a "right hand" rim, those are incredibly rare. I've only ever seen one since I started building wheels around 1986 and I've built dozens of wheels.
I ran into this "right hand" rim on my last rebuild with Rigida AL 1320's, a fairly common rim. Took me a minute to figure out what was wrong with the lacing.
Old 02-08-18, 04:06 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Hard to tell.
A little closer shot of one or two of the nipples would be better.
Old 02-08-18, 04:25 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Liked 652 Times in 367 Posts
Turn the wheel so the valve is a the 6 o'clock position. Stand to the side of the bike (does not matter which side) and look down at the valve. The first spoke to the left of the valve should go to the flange on the other side.(away from you) If this is not the case, as I suspect looking at what I can see of your photos, it was laced incorrectly.
This rule is nearly universal although I have seen rare exceptions. CR 18 rims would certainly not be an exception to this rule.
Old 02-08-18, 04:37 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by jj1091
I ran into this "right hand" rim on my last rebuild with Rigida AL 1320's, a fairly common rim. Took me a minute to figure out what was wrong with the lacing.
A "common" rim from the 1980s. I'm sure there are some NOS rims out there but more modern rims are seldom "right handed".

The one right hand rim I encountered was probably a Rigida.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 02-08-18, 04:48 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
Turn the wheel so the valve is a the 6 o'clock position. Stand to the side of the bike (does not matter which side) and look down at the valve. The first spoke to the left of the valve should go to the flange on the other side.(away from you) If this is not the case, as I suspect looking at what I can see of your photos, it was laced incorrectly.
This rule is nearly universal although I have seen rare exceptions. CR 18 rims would certainly not be an exception to this rule.
The spoke to the left does indeed go to the far side as it should. So they at least got the spokes in the right place. Still not sure why the spokes have so much bend in them. Can't be a coincidence that this is the first time I have seen this and it's also the first time I have had a rash of spokes breaking at the nipple.
Old 02-08-18, 04:55 PM
cyccommute 

If I've got my spacial arrangement right, the CR18 on that link is a normal "left hand" rim, i.e. the first spoke hole to the left of the valve stem is above the center line of the rim.

Your picture shows the spokes running the wrong way away from the rim but what does it look like around the valve stem? The spoke around the valve stem should look like this

DSCN0370 by Stuart Black, on Flickr

They should be parallel to each other and parallel to the valve stem. It looks to me like the builder of your wheel didn't flip the rim before rotating the hub so the spokes are twisted the opposite direction from what they should be.

Old 02-08-18, 05:02 PM
Ghrumpy

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan Burkhart
The one thing that seems universal is that half the world understands left-hand and right-hand drilling one way, and the other half understands it the other.

I'm not saying I'm right, but what seems to be the most logical definition to me is that by RH I mean: from the drive side, with the valve at the bottom of the wheel, the spoke next to the valve on that side of the wheel is to the right side of the valve.

So in that sense, lots of old ballooner rims were left-hand drilled. And Sun Rims in the '80s and '90s mostly seemed to be left hand drilling, IIRC. But I just checked my CR-18s and they're right-hand.
Old 02-08-18, 05:18 PM
CliffordK

I don't think I have any unlaced Sun CR18 rims.

My test for spoke directionality is pretty simple with unlaced rims.

Simply drop two (or perhaps four) successive spokes and nipples in the holes. Then lean the rim each direction, and it should be obvious if the spokes are staggered (directional) or not (not directional).

I think other people have something like a cone or something that works similarly. There was a topic on it a while ago.

As far as rear rims, I hadn't thought about them being different, although I have used "Off Center" rims on the rear, which in theory helps improve dishing and evens out dishing. Otherwise, for the most part I'd expect front and rear to be similar.

Anyway, I tested two Sun Rims:
L18, single wall, no sockets/eyelets, staggered spokes, 700c, I think. Seems to have strong directionality of the spokes.

M13II double walled, eyelets (not sockets), 451 BSD. Need to double check, but seemed to have some, but minimal directionality. Before building, I'll test further.
Anyway, it may be difficult to test your rim if the wheel was special order. If it is a commonly stocked rim, then your builder should be able to test other rims to see if the sockets/eyelets are directional. If they are, then I'd strip the wheel and rebuild.

Last edited by CliffordK; 02-08-18 at 05:24 PM.
Old 02-08-18, 05:21 PM
CliffordK

Another thought. You haven't mentioned what cargo you're carrying, but there are 2.3/2.0/2.3 butted spokes that should be considered if they work in your hubs and rims.
Old 02-08-18, 05:30 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
If I've got my spacial arrangement right, the CR18 on that link is a normal "left hand" rim, i.e. the first spoke hole to the left of the valve stem is above the center line of the rim.

Your picture shows the spokes running the wrong way away from the rim but what does it look like around the valve stem? The spoke around the valve stem should look like this

They should be parallel to each other and parallel to the valve stem. It looks to me like the builder of your wheel didn't flip the rim before rotating the hub so the spokes are twisted the opposite direction from what they should be.
On this rim, the holes are in line with each other. They are not staggered as every other rim I have seen. Just noticed this.

Old 02-08-18, 05:36 PM
harshbarj

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Another thought. You haven't mentioned what cargo you're carrying, but there are 2.3/2.0/2.3 butted spokes that should be considered if they work in your hubs and rims.
Right now nothing. All breaks have been just with me on the bike.

The LBS I used seemed very against 2.3 spokes. I even asked and he said it was unnecessary, 2.0 would be strong enough (I know this not to be the case in my normal use, even 2.3 is not enough). I normally have places drill out the holes and use 3mm straight gauge spokes. Few seem willing to do this anymore. In the summer I can haul hundreds of pounds.
Old 02-08-18, 05:40 PM
CliffordK

I woudn't go 100% by the placement of the spokes around the valve.

I've read of reports where people had purchased batches of the same brand/model of rims, and some started one direction, and others started the other direction.

If the holes are drilled directionally, then your wheel probably is assembled wrong. If the holes are not drilled directionally, then it wouldn't make a difference.

Post a direct side view of your wheel showing at least the valve and the hub.

It is hard to tell from your photo, but it appears as if the two spokes around the valve cross. That is considered VERY BAD FORM. It isn't a critical error, but it would indicate an amateur wheel builder built up your wheel, which could also indicate that they never checked the drilling of the spoke nipple holes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.