Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Best shade tint?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-18, 06:20 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Best shade tint?

I always wear some sort of eye protection when I ride as I am blind in one eye. I ride mainly gravel roads. I have Oakley Flak Jackets that I wear daily for work (safety glasses), cycling, and everything else I do. I am very hard on glasses. I have had these Oakleys for 5 years and have replaced 3 sets of lenses and 1 pair of ear socks. In fact I have been toying with the idea of using my Cabelas shooting glasses for riding glasses and leaving my Oakleys at home. They have interchangeable lenses of clear, yellow, and orange. I prefer the Orange because it lets a lot of light in (I hate dark lenses) and makes things really clear. But they are not near as comfortable as my Oakleys.

One thing I hate is having even a light tint on and having the sun go behind the clouds. I just don't like wearing sunglasses unless it's really bright and sunny and I can get by with low tint just fine because they still filter out the worst stuff. So what does everyone prefer for tint for all riding conditions? I would prefer not to have to carry an extra set in my bike bag. I am considering photochromic. And for general biking, driving, and all around use, do I really need polarized? And I am contemplating going with an off brand replacement lense like from this company HERE or even HERE.

Has anyone had any experience with either of those 2 aftermarket lenses? I really don't want to shell out the big bucks right now for genuine Oakley Lenses.
Old 04-26-18, 06:47 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
I have photochromic Rudy Project lenses. These get almost completely clear at night, and are very dark (90% of light is blocked) in sunlight. They get quite dark within 10 seconds when I go outside, even on cloudy days. It takes many minutes to fade to clear (and it's very slow to clear if there are cold temperatures). These work great on evening rides.

I'm the opposite of you -- I wear sunglasses even on cloudy days. So the dark tint is fine with me.

I had polarized lenses, and liked them. They are great for early or late day rides, with sun glare on the road from the low sun angle. Some bike computer or phone displays won't work with polarized lenses. Both my phone and computer were fine (but turning them 90 degrees blanked out the screen). I have a camera that's oriented the other way, so the screen is blank when the camera is horizontal.
Old 04-26-18, 07:10 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Transition lenses work well.

I use the Signature version. They have no tint indoors or in the dark and darken/lighten very quickly.

Oakley can make Transition lenses for you. Order them through an optician.

-Tim-
Old 04-26-18, 07:16 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by TimothyH
Transition lenses work well.

I use the Signature version. They have no tint indoors or in the dark and darken/lighten very quickly.

Oakley can make Transition lenses for you. Order them through an optician.

-Tim-
The first link I posted has transition lenses and they’re only $50. Have you heard anything about that company quality?
Old 04-26-18, 07:25 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
I've been wearing transition lens for five years since my first cataract was removed. My second was just removed so I'll be getting new glasses. Seriously thinking of not getting transitions. First and foremost, they do nothing while driving in the car. Second the recovery time takes too long when you get into the car from a sunny, worse yet, sunny, snowy day. If I'm going to need separate sunglasses for driving....
Old 04-26-18, 07:51 AM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have gotten some Mryok replacement lenses for my flak jacket, and am very happy with them but I normally get polarized and low light transmission. They do make some lenses that are yellow that have 80% light transmission and are not polarized
Old 04-26-18, 07:56 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
I just got new glasses with Transition lenses. Only these are better than the last kind I had, because they have the extra sensitivity which will darken while driving, while my old ones would not. Windshields tend to block a lot of UV so with regular darkening lenses, they won't darken and you'll still get a lot of glare. I think the extra sensitivity lenses were only like $20 more than the original darkening lenses, well worth the price IMO.

I haven't done any daylight rides with the new glasses yet, but I'm sure they'll work just fine for me. My old ones did, before they broke.
Old 04-26-18, 08:04 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
I've also been happy with Fuse replacement lens (the second link in the OP). And the one time it wasn't a perfect replacement fit, they happily refunded or replaced.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-26-18, 08:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Transitions are not for everyone but my two year old Transition Signature lenses darken or lighten within 3 to 5 seconds.

According to the manufacturer, their XTRActive lenses are designed to darken behind the windshield of a car. I have not used them and so can't comment on whether this is true or not. They are darker lenses designed for harsh conditions and it doesn't sound like that's what the OP wants.

Keep in mind that mine are prescription glasses - progressive focused for GPS distance at the very bottom, frosted edges, non-polarized and Transition Signature. No lab except Oakley would touch this. I am extremely satisfied with how they function including the transition feature and won't hesitate to purchase another pair if my Rx changes.

I'm sure others will chime in with alternatives.

I don't know anything about Revant or Fuse but for $32 or $19 per set, they seem like a no-brainer, certainly worth trying especially for someone who is hard on lenses.

As an aside, I ride with a probation officer who wears shooting glasses. He also carries his little "Julito" on rides.

-Tim-
Old 04-26-18, 08:42 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by TimothyH
According to the manufacturer, their XTRActive lenses are designed to darken behind the windshield of a car. I have not used them and so can't comment on whether this is true or not.
They do darken while driving, not seriously dark like when out in direct sunlight, but they do darken a few shades enough that glare isn't a problem. I've only had mine for 3 days now and I like them. Of course we've only had one sunny day since I've gotten them, but that was the day I drove home wearing them and I could tell a difference. One of my pet peeves with my first pair of transition lenses was that they didn't darken while driving and I almost needed prescription sunglasses or something for driving, but these new glasses take care of that problem.

Of course, on a bike out in direct sunlight they'll get plenty dark.
Old 04-26-18, 11:02 AM
trail_monkey

Thanks for all the replies guys. I’m going to look into some replacements by fuse. I have no idea what tint yet. The $19 price tag is pretty tempting although they are not polarized and with my Oakley‘s, every set of lenses I have had, have been polarized. So I’m not sure if I’m going to noticed any sort of a difference by going with non-polarized lenses or not?
Old 04-26-18, 11:28 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
Brown.
Old 04-26-18, 12:44 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
Thanks for all the replies guys. I’m going to look into some replacements by fuse. I have no idea what tint yet. The $19 price tag is pretty tempting although they are not polarized and with my Oakley‘s, every set of lenses I have had, have been polarized. So I’m not sure if I’m going to noticed any sort of a difference by going with non-polarized lenses or not?
Non polarized might be an improvement. Many feel polarization interferes with a GPS screen. I find that to be true as well.

-tim-
Old 04-26-18, 01:30 PM
Milton Keynes

Yes, LCD screens are polarized. If your sunglasses are polarized too, the screen will look black unless you turn your head 90 degrees.
Old 04-26-18, 02:53 PM
trail_monkey

While we are on the subject of Oakley’s, does anyone know of a way to keep the silicone side boots on the earpieces from deteriorating over time. I’m ready to replace my second set because they get so grungy and sticky from the oils on your skin. If you were to wash these regularly would they not do this or is it going to happen no matter what?
Old 04-26-18, 03:25 PM
Vio1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ive had bad experience with transitions. Take too long to adjust to dark or light conditions, and I found there to be colour shift as well.
Old 04-26-18, 08:23 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by Vio1
Ive had bad experience with transitions. Take too long to adjust to dark or light conditions, and I found there to be colour shift as well.
What is too long? Isn't the alternative with non-transition lenses that you wear dark lenses going out in the bright sun, and when it's darker out, you have to take them off completely?
Old 04-27-18, 06:44 AM
superpletch
faster downhill

Bikes: more than my wife can keep track of

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have prescription sun glasses I wear when riding. I have found that brown tint offers the best contrast which is helpful when riding through areas of differing light. like on tree lined roads or a gravel trail through the woods where shadows can obscure vision with some tints.
Old 04-27-18, 08:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Originally Posted by Vio1
That's strange, I never really notice when they change from light to dark or back again. Except sometimes when I go from direct sunlight into a dark environment I have trouble seeing for a minute or so. As far as color shift, I'm fairly colorblind anyway so that's not a big deal for me. I expect colors to be a bit off when looking through tinted lenses.
Old 04-27-18, 09:07 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

I have two year old Transition Signature lenses.

They take five seconds at most to adjust when going from a tunnel to bright sunlight or vice versa.

-Tim-
Old 05-19-23, 05:06 AM
AlexisRen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you were able to find the perfect shade tint for your riding glasses since this thread started.
Old 05-20-23, 05:28 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by AlexisRen
I hope you were able to find the perfect shade tint for your riding glasses since this thread started.
Oh that is so kind of you, Alexis! Bless your heart.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-20-23, 09:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I use photochromic as well. No switching lenses and on gray days or in the shade, they work fine.

Old 05-21-23, 05:39 PM
Calsun
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 288 Posts
I use "safety glasses" and always pay less than $20 per pair. I get them in clear, gray tint, and yellow tint. On foggy or overcase days I like the yellow tint. They are available in various diopters which I like for seeing my bike computer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-21-23, 07:27 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1087 Post(s)
Liked 862 Times in 490 Posts
I am currently experimenting with Wildhorn. A lower price point and the contrast change lenses seem to have a great range. I’ve been on a few longer rides with them and am generally happy. I’m still finding the best place for the nosepiece but I’m picky. I don’t think I’d run in them without a retainer but they have been fine riding, even on the pump track.

https://www.wildhornoutfitters.com/c...ns/mtb-eyewear

The other thing you mentioned was polarized. No we probably don’t need them but they really are great. So much less eye strain. So easy to wear. I’d definitely advise wearing polarized for daily use. They can diminish your ability to see a touchscreen depending on if they’re straight or round polarized. I don’t find this to be a problem.

If the contrast changing experiment fails, I’ll go back to polarized.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.