Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

How long off the bike till you notice a loss in "fitness"

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-18, 06:50 PM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on something for me. Living here in the deep south we have been dealing with lots of rain from the tropical storm Alberto this week. My last ride was on Sunday (and was cut short) due to a thunderstorm that pulsed and blew in with wind and rain and lightning. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (today) were washouts. I am hopeful tomorrow will be good. I get many of my rides in early in the morning since I have small kids, so moving rides to the evening is really hard.

I was wondering how many days have to go by till you start feeling the loss of fitness of being off the bike. I come from a running background and the general rule of thumb was 3 days and you could feel it. Was wondering if that applies in cycling. I am not racing or anything, just training for my first 100 mi in late September.

Thanks!
Old 05-31-18, 05:25 AM
Harvieu25

Bikes: Novara MTN, Merlin Moots Fatbeat, Specialized Allez, Merlin Extralight, BH Ultralight RC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Get some rollers or trainer of some sort.
Old 05-31-18, 08:23 AM
fastk9dad

Bikes: Specialized Tricross, Cannondale CAAD10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need to define "fitness". I believe your aerobic engine capacity can decrease relatively shortly. It may start to decrease after 3 days but I doubt it would be noticeable. Might be noticeable after a week or more, but it should be easily gained back. Strength/power/muscular fitness is a lot longer before noticing a decrease.
Old 05-31-18, 08:40 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2010 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 234 Posts
The extra rest will probably make you faster. A couple of days isn't going to do much. A couple weeks might.
Old 05-31-18, 09:22 AM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
If you're fit, 3 days. Muscular strength drops very noticeably in 2 weeks. Yeah, get either a set of resistance rollers or a trainer. Those things are a "gotta have." Some days I use my rollers even when I could have ridden outside just because there's something very specific I want to accomplish. Super for my recovery rides because there's nowhere I can go that's not uphill. I've had my resistance rollers for over 20 years. They amortize really well. More value for the dollar spent than the average good.
Old 05-31-18, 10:54 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
I notice after 4 days.
Old 05-31-18, 12:54 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by voyager1
Hey All,

I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on something for me. Living here in the deep south we have been dealing with lots of rain from the tropical storm Alberto this week. My last ride was on Sunday (and was cut short) due to a thunderstorm that pulsed and blew in with wind and rain and lightning. Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday (today) were washouts. I am hopeful tomorrow will be good. I get many of my rides in early in the morning since I have small kids, so moving rides to the evening is really hard.

I was wondering how many days have to go by till you start feeling the loss of fitness of being off the bike. I come from a running background and the general rule of thumb was 3 days and you could feel it. Was wondering if that applies in cycling. I am not racing or anything, just training for my first 100 mi in late September.

Thanks!
Depends on fitness level. 5 days usually.
Old 05-31-18, 01:13 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Agree with 4 or 5 days.
Old 05-31-18, 02:33 PM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After 3-4 days off your legs are likely to feel heavy/slow first time back on the bike, and it's probably not the best idea to do anything really high intensity that first ride. But you haven't actually lost any "fitness" at that point; it takes more than a few days. In fact, if you've been training regularly, you may get a nice little bump in form just from being rested.

The high-end anaerobic capacity is the first thing to be affected, but even that takes more like 10+ days for significant loss.
Old 05-31-18, 06:04 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
2-3 days. By then blood plasma starts dropping. Takes a day or two to get it back.