Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Old 05-28-18, 08:11 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
No joke! At least the jersey is sold separately. So $65 plus $20 in bandages and tape.

But, given how it turned out more minor than possible, a good lesson learned. Can’t put a price on skills and attentive riding. At least I was alone and not in a group. I feel so stupid.

Ice helped a lot. Maybe tempo Tuesday and back to intervals Thursday.

On the group tide before the crash, workouts and weight are working. In a 2 minute hill I put 15 sec on a good rider who followed and a full minute on the rest. It was a joy ride so regroup at the top and chill to the coffee stop.
Old 05-28-18, 09:19 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
Training status: tired. Got in a few hrs of mtb today to make it ~11 total over the long weekend.
TSB: negative
fatigue: affirmative
Old 05-29-18, 08:48 AM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I'm doing a lot better at the Tuesday World's ride; 3 years ago at some point I would be dropped. This year I'm solidly in the 2nd pack, and close to the lead on the 1st lap, the descents kill me though but I'm getting better. Back in the day, I'd be excited to finish in the 2nd pack but my expectations are now to at least go into the first descent in the front pack so I'm still not happy.

To bastardize a Greg Lemond quote, You never become content, you just go faster.

One thing that's really starting to agitate me is when we are going uphill, every week there's a guy or two that comes up and fights for your wheel (or the guy in front of you) and then gets dropped 30 seconds later causing you to pass him and cover 2-5 bike lengths. I'm at a point now where I want to yell at them so bad because its obvious whats going to happen, but I'm not going to be that guy. I've also done that in the past too.
Maybe encourage them next time as you drop them. We can't all be fit at the same time
Old 05-29-18, 10:46 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
2hrs with 5x15 @ ~ 90-92%, ctl 91
Old 05-29-18, 01:55 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
CTL finally over 80, its getting harder to feel fatigued and my HR drops like a rock after a hard effort. I'm guessing those are both good things.

Originally Posted by TexMac
Maybe encourage them next time as you drop them. We can't all be fit at the same time
Its funny, that subject has came up several times on group rides. 2 of our naturally fast racers just had kids and they just can't put in more than 5 hours a week (and both have gained a ton of weight) which it shows on rides. Guys like me and others have to go high volume to compete, those guys didn't.

I still feel like the guy that was dead last going up the hill on Tuesday Nights. Back then I probably worked harder than I did today but my asthma and hip issues screwed things up. It wasn't uncommon to use my inhaler over 20 times on a ride.
Old 05-29-18, 02:06 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CTL finally over 80, its getting harder to feel fatigued and my HR drops like a rock after a hard effort. I'm guessing those are both good things.

Its funny, that subject has came up several times on group rides. 2 of our naturally fast racers just had kids and they just can't put in more than 5 hours a week (and both have gained a ton of weight) which it shows on rides. Guys like me and others have to go high volume to compete, those guys didn't.

I still feel like the guy that was dead last going up the hill on Tuesday Nights. Back then I probably worked harder than I did today but my asthma and hip issues screwed things up. It wasn't uncommon to use my inhaler over 20 times on a ride.
That's interesting. I've discovered a lot of the natural faster guys, you dig deeper you probably find they did other sports and had good cardio systems for long just waiting for some regular exercise
I believe cycling is the GREATEST equalizer! one day you are dropping guys, next you are getting dropped or can barely find 3 hrs a week don't even mention sickness, crashes, natural disasters etc
Old 05-29-18, 08:19 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
These out-of-competition legal drugs are making me feel better, but damn did it not help me out on the race ride tonight. Really suffered. Tail gunning and had to close some of my own stupid gaps. Was ready to pull the plug at the slightest excuse when one of the guys with us got a flat. Hallelujah! An excuse! Someone finally got to use my top-tube frame pump!
Old 05-29-18, 08:52 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
After this weekend's stage race it is manifest I can pull turns all ****ing day below threshold but have little party to give above it. This is mostly expected given how inconsistent my training has been this year due to sicknesses and injury, and how instead of structured vo2 work I was racing into shape only to get bronchitis...so, I will be piling on vo2 workouts for the next block, to get right for late June - August. Assuming I don't get sick or injured again.
Old 05-29-18, 09:37 PM
Wylde06

Bikes: Cannondale Six13

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 21 Posts
Training and racing has been **** this year. Just a big pile of ****..
Old 05-29-18, 09:40 PM
hammer down

Bikes: Specialized Venge

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wylde06
Training and racing has been **** this year. Just a big pile of ****..
This was how things were going for me. Until I got hit by a car. Then they got worse.
Old 05-30-18, 08:10 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

1 hour on the trainer after work. Do you ever have such boring days at work they just exhaust you? I'm more tired after the "easy days" than the stressful ones. Seeing another one coming tomorrow..
Old 05-31-18, 08:43 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
on Zwift 4 week ftp booster.
Tuesday was a beast > 12x45sec intervals at 170% with 4 minutes RBI then finish with 8 minute 90%. Might just pin this one for future workouts. Yesterday had to take care of sick mom so today back on it. CTL 58, & TSB -1

What I've realized compared to commuting is during the week my CTL is stagnant (58-61) but my ATL is dropping. It only picks up on Saturdays after 3 hrs rides
Old 05-31-18, 09:39 AM
furiousferret

2 hard workouts on Zwift, 4x5 minute intervals for lunch and an hour race after work. I went down like a rock in the race.

3 weeks into this block I'm rolling into my rest week like

Edit: There's a definite 'decay' in my power, maybe 10 watts. Is this normal at the end of a block?

Last edited by furiousferret; 05-31-18 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-31-18, 07:05 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

@FF.. You're tired, dude..

Today was easy hour again. Anxious to do some training again soon.
Old 06-01-18, 07:22 AM
TexMac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 hard workouts on Zwift, 4x5 minute intervals for lunch and an hour race after work. I went down like a rock in the race.

3 weeks into this block I'm rolling into my rest week like

Edit: There's a definite 'decay' in my power, maybe 10 watts. Is this normal at the end of a block?
"power decay", i like your english. What i've read as a cure for this is either more rest or do a 4 hr z2 ride..
Old 06-01-18, 09:42 AM
hubcyclist

did my easy friday ride, but I did do a little uphill sprint near my house at the end of the ride, had a 5sec power of 890 and peak of 964, an all-time high for me, I believe. That puts me as "fair" (12.7w/kg) on the infamous power chart for 5sec power lol
Old 06-01-18, 10:44 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I never sleep well - I am an insomniac - but lately, I've been waking up at 4 am and am unable to get back to sleep. So, rather than fight it, I've been getting up and doing my workouts even earlier. Yesterday and today, I had started my workouts by 5 am.

I'm feeling it now.
Old 06-01-18, 11:02 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Back into real workouts after the crash. Felt fine. Didn't do the last two 1min intervals like last week, didn't want to be belly breathing too much as the handlebar got me in the ribs some in the crash. It felt fine. I can grab and work the bar fine if standing or working hard. Shoulder looks bad from all the bruising, but range of motion is returning with some strength.

This trainer's resistance for erg mode doesn't react fast enough for 30/15's so it has to be 60/60's. I'll try 30/15's on the real bike.
Old 06-01-18, 04:03 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Yay, finally hit a max power milestone. Hadn't seen that number in a long long time. These standing start workouts are starting to pay off.
Old 06-01-18, 05:31 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Ramp test with some poor science today to look at a new FTP. Let's compound some variable, folks.. New powermeter, not 100% after sickness, not used to riding heat indoors and I haven't done a proper workout on the bike in 6 weeks. Result.. About 10% drop from where I was last test. Not concerned. It'll come back.

An hour easy afterwards with some musing in the back of my mind to go mtbing this evening, but I got tired and took a nap instead.
Old 06-01-18, 05:48 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Yay, finally hit a max power milestone. Hadn't seen that number in a long long time. These standing start workouts are starting to pay off.
Nice! That's my white whale at the moment.
Old 06-01-18, 10:00 PM
furiousferret

Originally Posted by caloso
I had to peek on the stravas, some nice numbers there.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I never sleep well - I am an insomniac - but lately, I've been waking up at 4 am and am unable to get back to sleep. So, rather than fight it, I've been getting up and doing my workouts even earlier. Yesterday and today, I had started my workouts by 5 am.

I'm feeling it now.

I use this every night, helps tons. ZMA and Melatonin.
Old 06-02-18, 10:32 AM
hubcyclist

got a bit scared off by possibility of thunderstorms and did my scheduled trainerroad workout, 2hrs with 3x30 @ 90% ctl at 93. probably just as uncomfortable in the basement as it would be outside, given the humidity. tomorrow should be not humid and mid 60s and sunny so it would be good to get in 4hrs as I try condition myself to handle the ~8hr events I plan to do
Old 06-02-18, 12:19 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
TR Ramp test on Friday. TR gave me a 10% FTP gain suggestion, but I ignored it because I know my legs can't keep up with my lungs just yet.

Good thing I didn't. 4x12min over-and-under intervals today (1 under 2 over) at the old FTP and the legs were fried by the end.

I really like the ramp test. I carried some fatigue into the 4x12 workout from Thursday's weightlifting session (glute soreness), but nothing from the ramp test.

Headed to the DH bike park tomorrow for chairlift-access MTB bliss!!!

XC mtb race on Tuesday.
Old 06-02-18, 02:36 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Went out to just ride my bike today. Still don't have mount for my computer so no vissible data. I do have a power meter on my road bike again though!

Had planned to get about 3 hours of just riding while I was hunting for rideable dirt. End of the ride turned into a bit of show. Flatted about1.5hrs in. Fixed it, no air going into tube.. wtf? Oh I had put an already flat tube back in my repair kit. Glad I carry two and a patch kit (and frame pump). Get it fixed, put everything back in the bag and keep going down this bumpy dirt road. A truck flags me down and said I had dropped something. Turned out to be my saddle bag.. Go get it. Further down the road I hear something fall off again.. its the flat tube I had put back in the bag.. weird. Pick it up in the pocket, button everything down AGAIN and go. After about 45 minutes of riding through bug infested mess of a gravel road, I get another flat. Go to pull out the patch kit and get on with it and my tire levers are gone. Dammit.

Hitched a ride to the closest bike shop (whom I know the owner of) and of course he is out racing this weekend. Dammit.

Ended up with 2.25 hours, 3 flat tubes, 3 lost tire levers and a bus ride back home. Was an enjoyable day out in the sun and at least i didn't have to pay for an uber. But damn, was it frustrating

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.