Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

SF Electric Scooter Surge

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-18, 11:56 AM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts

There seems to be some controversy over electric scooters in SF. Are these scooters so great for going up and down hills that they beat bikes for convenience? My concern with using one would be depriving myself of exercise as part of transportation. I have seen similar scooters with step-levers like a step machine, but I haven't tried one yet. I've heard they are faster than biking. I can't imagine they would be very efficient for going up hills like those of SF. Maybe some combination of electric-assist and pedaling is possible?

https://qz.com/1289530/san-francisco...ndustry-legit/
Old 05-28-18, 04:54 PM
linberl

Bikes: Trident Spike 2 recumbent trike w/ e-assist

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 288 Posts
The scooters can be pushed, they are just kick scooters, but generally people use the motor. Not for long distance travel, not for exercise. Point-to-point close distances where you either don't want to lock up a personal bike (theft is an issue) or you don't have one. Going from office to lunch or office to Bart station. Going down Market street is pretty much all flat, no hills, and that's where primarily are....the wharf/embarcadero to civic center to the mission. All flat. Currently however they are banned, until the providers comply with city new ordinances - they were getting dropped everywhere, impeding pedestrian traffic, etc.
Old 05-29-18, 10:55 AM
tandempower

Originally Posted by linberl
The scooters can be pushed, they are just kick scooters, but generally people use the motor. Not for long distance travel, not for exercise. Point-to-point close distances where you either don't want to lock up a personal bike (theft is an issue) or you don't have one. Going from office to lunch or office to Bart station. Going down Market street is pretty much all flat, no hills, and that's where primarily are....the wharf/embarcadero to civic center to the mission. All flat. Currently however they are banned, until the providers comply with city new ordinances - they were getting dropped everywhere, impeding pedestrian traffic, etc.
It sounds like a good idea, but why aren't people stowing them out of the way so they won't cause problems? Do they have pneumatic tires or those hard wheel-tires like skateboards?
Old 05-29-18, 11:14 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by tandempower
It sounds like a good idea, but why aren't people stowing them out of the way so they won't cause problems? Do they have pneumatic tires or those hard wheel-tires like skateboards?
...because people are stupid and lazy, lol. I'm sure it will get sorted eventually. Tires are pneumatic, they roll pretty comfortably. I suspect the City will make the providers responsible for keeping the scooters off pedestrian ways by fining them and confiscating the scooters; this will hopefully motivate the providers to figure out a way to make the user more responsible (maybe they have to text a picture of where they leave the device). And giving tickets to riders on sidewalks will also generate some money for the City so I'm sure they'll get busy with that as well. Takes time to get used to new stuff.
Old 05-29-18, 11:50 AM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
San Francisco banned Segways from sidewalks and bikepaths...
Old 05-29-18, 12:21 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by tyrion
San Francisco banned Segways from sidewalks and bikepaths...
It seems the segway ban was at least partially the result of fears that people would get less exercise. Could this issue be similar with the scooters?
Old 05-29-18, 01:12 PM
linberl

It seems the segway ban was at least partially the result of fears that people would get less exercise. Could this issue be similar with the scooters?
I don't think so. People in the Bay Area are generally pretty fit and you don't find anyone over 40ish riding those scooters, anyway. Share bikes are probably more often used by older folks than scooters. Most of the millennials riding scooters work in tech and either have on-site gyms or belong to crossfit, lol. I think the ban is purely related to safety of pedestrians and others and, once resolved on those counts, scooters will be back. Before the scooters, we saw LOTS of electric assist skateboards in the same general routes, but those are privately owned. SF is an area where lots of people are car-free because cars are a PAIN here; scooter-share, bike-share, and car-share companies are an ideal solution.
Old 05-29-18, 02:36 PM
tandempower

Originally Posted by linberl
I don't think so. People in the Bay Area are generally pretty fit and you don't find anyone over 40ish riding those scooters, anyway. Share bikes are probably more often used by older folks than scooters. Most of the millennials riding scooters work in tech and either have on-site gyms or belong to crossfit, lol. I think the ban is purely related to safety of pedestrians and others and, once resolved on those counts, scooters will be back. Before the scooters, we saw LOTS of electric assist skateboards in the same general routes, but those are privately owned. SF is an area where lots of people are car-free because cars are a PAIN here; scooter-share, bike-share, and car-share companies are an ideal solution.
So do these electric skateboards and scooters go as fast as a Segway (12mph)? Has the Segway ban since been lifted, btw, or is it still in effect?
Old 05-29-18, 03:23 PM
linberl

So do these electric skateboards and scooters go as fast as a Segway (12mph)? Has the Segway ban since been lifted, btw, or is it still in effect?
Don't know about the Seqway; probably you can google that. They go up to 15mph (skateboards have a remote control).
Old 05-30-18, 03:15 AM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Have you ever tried to operate one? And have you seen the slope of some of the hills in San Francisco? I was there in 1982 and I can still remember just how impractical this thing is there. Not to mention how jammed with people the tourist hotspots are.
Old 06-04-18, 08:12 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
There seems to be some controversy over electric scooters in SF. Are these scooters so great for going up and down hills that they beat bikes for convenience? My concern with using one would be depriving myself of exercise as part of transportation. I have seen similar scooters with step-levers like a step machine, but I haven't tried one yet. I've heard they are faster than biking. I can't imagine they would be very efficient for going up hills like those of SF. Maybe some combination of electric-assist and pedaling is possible?

https://qz.com/1289530/san-francisco...ndustry-legit/

I've been using kick scooters for years (Xootr) and would love to try out those 1K electric scooters. Bike share will be electric in 5 or 10 years so we should start looking at EV vehicles as an alternative. I created a thread about kick scooters and its benefits years ago.

I would like to see a scooter share system like bike share with docking stations.
Old 06-04-18, 08:50 PM
linberl

Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
I've been using kick scooters for years (Xootr) and would love to try out those 1K electric scooters. Bike share will be electric in 5 or 10 years so we should start looking at EV vehicles as an alternative. I created a thread about kick scooters and its benefits years ago.

I would like to see a scooter share system like bike share with docking stations.
Bie share is moving towards the dockless style and scooters, too. It enables users to actually get all the way to and from their destinations. Docks are not always conveniently located near residential neighborhoods, and if folks can't use them within a block of so of their living space, then some will continue to drive cars as solo drivers.
Old 06-09-18, 09:33 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The Google employees are the kinds of people using that stuff,

& renting 3k$ a month SF apartments.
Old 06-10-18, 09:54 AM
linberl

Originally Posted by fietsbob
The Google employees are the kinds of people using that stuff,

& renting 3k$ a month SF apartments.
I know that's what the media is putting out, and sure some of them do use them. But you are far more likely to see an office clerk, bank employee, or retail salesperson on one grabbing lunch, or a tourist, or a kid. But the fact is that the google/facebook/twitter employees pretty much all have electric skateboards that they personally own and don't need to use share models.
Old 06-22-18, 12:55 PM
LanghamP

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rollfast
Have you ever tried to operate one? And have you seen the slope of some of the hills in San Francisco? I was there in 1982 and I can still remember just how impractical this thing is there. Not to mention how jammed with people the tourist hotspots are.
I've used the smaller Segways and other electric vehicles extensively in dense urban environments, on steep hills.

Segway has at least four consumer electric vehicles, of which I've ridden the mini Pro and the S1 (don't know about the others).

Mini Pro is just a tiny electric 2-wheeled scooter, top speed about 12 mph with a range of about 15 miles. The vehicle's width is smaller than even a small person's shoulders. Can be trolleyed. I'd say for most people, they can cover vast amounts of ground in a short amount of time, comparable to the fastest runner.

Segway S1. I own this one. Somewhat challenging to learn, incredibly useful for getting around. Some versions are 14 mph. Mine goes 12 mph. Impossibly small, think briefcase small and thick.

In regards to going up SF hills, and specifically SF hills, these two Segways go up them easily. You just fly up those hills, it is no problem at all for getting my 220 pound body up any hill. We are talking about 400 watts sustained power in a tiny 14 inch wheel, and way more than that peak power.

The consumer Segways (not the mall-cop behemoths) are hands-down the best way of getting around any urban city such as SF. Although you can rent the behemoth segways touring, I strongly urge the tiny mini Pro and the S1 due to their form factor.
Old 06-22-18, 05:10 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,529 Times in 1,042 Posts
Originally Posted by LanghamP
Segway S1. I own this one. Somewhat challenging to learn, incredibly useful for getting around. Some versions are 14 mph. Mine goes 12 mph. Impossibly small, think briefcase small and thick.

I strongly urge the tiny mini Pro and the S1 due to their form factor.
Got any pictures of yourself actually riding this wonderful device () in S.F.?
Old 06-23-18, 08:23 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Got any pictures of yourself actually riding this wonderful device () in S.F.?
Here's mine but not me going up an extremely steep hill.

For some reason I've noticed older bicyclist loath electric unicycles while the younger crowd thinks it is so cool. It's like EUCs are old people filters; you can almost immediately tell if someone is old and cannot learn new skills by the sweeping contempt they have of new devices.

Are you old?
Old 06-23-18, 08:30 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Here's mine but not me going up an extremely steep hill.

Powell hill

For some reason I've noticed older bicyclist loath electric unicycles while the younger crowd thinks it is so cool. It's like EUCs are old people filters; you can almost immediately tell if someone is old and cannot learn new skills by the sweeping contempt they have of new devices.

Are you old?
You should try juggling bowling pins while riding, you would really impress "the younger crowd" performing that "skill".
Old 06-23-18, 08:44 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You should try juggling bowling pins while riding, you would really impress "the younger crowd" performing that "skill".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0YfMe6MtJDM
I do.
Old 06-23-18, 09:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

I do.
Sounds like the perfect transportation tool for BF-LCF brand "Critical Thinkers" looking to impress similar young (very young) "thinkers."
Old 06-23-18, 09:21 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like the perfect transportation tool for BF-LCF brand "Critical Thinkers" looking to impress similar young (very young) "thinkers."
Oh absolutely, you got it exactly right.
Old 06-23-18, 09:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Oh absolutely, you got it exactly right.
I presume they are priced correctly for Critical Thinkers in need of a device to "impress the younger set", and are therefore free for layabouts, vagabonds, and traveling minstrel wannabes who don't want to contribute to the wicked economic manipulations of the current transportation cabal.
Old 06-23-18, 09:57 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I presume they are priced correctly for Critical Thinkers in need of a device to "impress the younger set", and are therefore free for layabouts, vagabonds, and traveling minstrel wannabes who don't want to contribute to the wicked economic manipulations of the current transportation cabal.
They're pretty cheap. Want one?
Old 06-23-18, 10:16 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

They're pretty cheap. Want one?
"Pretty Cheap" is not free. Critical thinkers expect their stuff to be available and free wherever they wander to and whenever they want it. "Cheap" is just a term used by the automotivist conspirators to subjugate the masses into working unnecessarily to pay too much for the stuff that should be made available to critical thinkers for free.
Old 06-23-18, 11:05 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Pretty Cheap" is not free. Critical thinkers expect their stuff to be available and free wherever they wander to and whenever they want it. "Cheap" is just a term used by the automotivist conspirators to subjugate the masses into working unnecessarily to pay too much for the stuff that should be made available to critical thinkers for free.
Regardless, do you find any electric type transport device to have some merit or value?

My argument is automobiles, even electrical ones, and their infrastructure have already greatly exceeded the carrying capacity of our planet, and I believe the auto culture to eventually turn into the Great Filter in the near future. Therefore anything that has less impact has value, even if others redicule it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.