Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Reel in the fish, watch it jump off the line

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Reel in the fish, watch it jump off the line

Old 06-14-18, 12:42 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Not a problem. Forget your previous destination, make the turn, follow your dream and pass your competition just before the imaginary finish line.
Being on the receiving end of such behaviour is unbelievably annoying.

Some commuters don't know when to give it a rest.
Old 06-14-18, 01:34 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Originally Posted by JoeyBike
Haha. Trying to get my goat. You don't know my history.

Here's one with a happy ending. Same bike. Long Haul Trucker with 2.1" rubber and fenders. Woulda ground that dude down in the video you mentioned as well. He was gassed.

https://vimeo.com/71218407

And if you like that, you'll love this. Put me on a road bike and see what happens.

https://vimeo.com/66991486

I have a dozen of these vids. Most turn up on Google searche under "NOLA Geek Hunt". Or PM me and I'll send you the entire Geek Hunt catalog!

Oh yeah! Me at my best: https://vimeo.com/69726845
I feel sorry for people who sit at the side of the road and wait for someone to chase.

That is the kind of behaviour I would expect out of a mistreated dog.

Guess it got old eh?
Old 06-14-18, 02:00 AM
kahuamp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
why would I waste energy trying to get to work, only to waste even more once I start working? I'm not eager to arrive faster unless I'm really late. while on my way there, I do my best to enjoy every second spent on the bike, rain sleet or snow...
Old 06-14-18, 06:18 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 315 Times in 210 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
I feel sorry for people who sit at the side of the road and wait for someone to chase.

That is the kind of behaviour I would expect out of a mistreated dog.
I don't feel sorry for anyone here. I have great contempt for sad little poseurs who dress up in their bicycle costumes with logos of Italian dish soap or flooring companies and never go fast enough for it to make the slightest difference. Although in New Orleans it IS Mardi Gras every day so to speak where people wear all kinds of kooky stuff on a daily basis but the clown sausage costumes cyclists wear is a whole different level of mental strangeness. Then they go "race" at 16mph and fill their trophy cases with participation medals so their non-cycling friends might be impressed. It is a sad thing to behold really. But I use it as a motivational tool to push me up a level in my "workouts" that I honestly would not have the mental energy to do without a goofy colorful rabbit to chase.

And don't be fooled. Geek hunting is a mean-spirited thing to do. My disdain for pointy-helmet poseurs is such that I really do want to hurt them the most I can in a perfectly legal way. I am not a nice person in general. Just call what I do in these videos "abuse of a superpower". And don't hand me any of that "they didn't know they were in a race" nonsense. Especially the guy who was ACTUALLY in a race (and in the lead) that I crashed.

Originally Posted by SHBR
Guess it got old eh?
Playing with video got boring. If I can still do this a 100 years old, I'll be happy to shine my light in Geekville any time. Not playing with video anymore. It all ends the same way anyhow.

I gotta go ride now. Cheers.

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-14-18 at 06:24 AM.
Old 06-14-18, 04:15 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Haha. Trying to get my goat. You don't know my history.

Here's one with a happy ending. Same bike. Long Haul Trucker with 2.1" rubber and fenders. Woulda ground that dude down in the video you mentioned as well. He was gassed.

https://vimeo.com/71218407

And if you like that, you'll love this. Put me on a road bike and see what happens.

https://vimeo.com/66991486

I have a dozen of these vids. Most turn up on Google searche under "NOLA Geek Hunt". Or PM me and I'll send you the entire Geek Hunt catalog!

Oh yeah! Me at my best: https://vimeo.com/69726845
Your videos are great to watch during the winter when I can't ride.
Old 06-14-18, 05:17 PM
Hoopdriver
On Holiday

Bikes: A bunch of old steel bikes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by eshvanu
Don't feel any need to race. I'm a commuter. Getting exercise, spending less on auto insurance, and enjoying the ride are far more important to me.
Same here. I'm an old guy and feel no motivation to compete. In fact, if I close on a slower rider I will usually drop pace hoping that they will turn off so I can speed back up. Short patience typically leads me to pass eventually, though. If I see a rider behind, I do get motivated to speed up to avoid a pass, but either the rider behind continues to close or drops back quickly in which case I resume my moderate pace.
Old 06-14-18, 09:42 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by no motor?
Your videos are great to watch during the winter when I can't ride.
Thanks for the positivity. Some of the videos are still entertaining for me and I am happy I went through the trouble to make them. It is amazing how Facebook Groups and other social resources that didn't even exist on a large scale when I shot the older vids have resurrected them. I find them linked to and/or shared all over the Internet even on some automobile forums. And since all of my stuff is open source only God knows where my stuff ends up being used. Now and then someone asks permission, which is certainly cute and appreciated. Even HBO grabbed some of my clips for who knows what.
Old 06-18-18, 10:41 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 2,511 Posts
I get passed all the time, so I usually never see cyclists in front of me, and I usually never notice them coming up behind me either.

There is one guy, an older vietnamese dude on a BSO who is always smoking a cigarette while riding. I pass him a lot.
Old 06-18-18, 04:15 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
And don't be fooled. Geek hunting is a mean-spirited thing to do. My disdain for pointy-helmet poseurs is such that I really do want to hurt them the most I can in a perfectly legal way. I am not a nice person in general. J
Maximum points for honesty.
Old 06-18-18, 07:27 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
My fish does NOT get away from me... at least not yet... I real them in,and when ever they are exhausted I pass them and say hi, & by, All I needs do is put it It in level 4 and off I go...
Old 06-27-18, 12:54 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
This happened just this morning on my commute. Fellow lady cyclist got onto the highway a bit ahead of me, so I picked up the pace to catch up and say hi. She got into her rhythm and pulled ahead, I pedaled faster, and long story short, I ended up sprinting for a half-mile or so before catching up, hollering a cheerful 'Good morning!', realizing she had earbuds in, and dropping back. I didn't realize I could even go that fast! I hit 18 mph in an area where I usually top out at 13.

Funny thing is, the same thing happened a year or so ago, except I never caught up, not even when we hit town; I just wanted to thank her for the workout. I seem to be built (mentally) like a greyhound, always chasing that toy rabbit, just not very fast. Too bad there aren't more early commuters.
Old 06-27-18, 06:46 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
I don't feel sorry for anyone here. I have great contempt for sad little poseurs who dress up in their bicycle costumes with logos of Italian dish soap or flooring companies and never go fast enough for it to make the slightest difference. Although in New Orleans it IS Mardi Gras every day so to speak where people wear all kinds of kooky stuff on a daily basis but the clown sausage costumes cyclists wear is a whole different level of mental strangeness. Then they go "race" at 16mph and fill their trophy cases with participation medals so their non-cycling friends might be impressed. It is a sad thing to behold really. But I use it as a motivational tool to push me up a level in my "workouts" that I honestly would not have the mental energy to do without a goofy colorful rabbit to chase.
Joey's world view is such that people wearing bike clothes to ride their bikes slowly is somehow more contemptible and pathetic than filming yourself "racing" people wearing bike clothes over and over and over again while going marginally less slow than some of those people.
Old 06-28-18, 11:28 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Originally Posted by grolby
Joey's world view is such that people wearing bike clothes to ride their bikes slowly is somehow more contemptible and pathetic than filming yourself "racing" people wearing bike clothes over and over and over again while going marginally less slow than some of those people.
Can I use ^^THIS in my Sig Line?

[EDIT]: Joey's world view is such that people wearing bike [racing] clothes to ride their bikes [casually] is somehow more contemptible and pathetic [than almost anything else he can think of].

Last edited by JoeyBike; 06-28-18 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-28-18, 12:40 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Tri-dude in the video still had 14 miles to go-- I would have been suitably impressed had you gotten ahead of him and held the gap all the way to the finish line. Those weren't exactly blistering speeds.

Titling the videos as "hunts" is quite accurate-- in the wild, the target seldom knows it's being hunted.
Old 06-29-18, 08:29 AM
LanghamP

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've noticed that killing myself to either stay in front of another rider or to pass another rider makes a considerable difference to my body in as little as a day. Do that a few times on each ride, and your body is dramatically better going up hills.

Interval training works.

I try to pass other riders all the time, and I try to keep up with passing riders. I do "lose" a lot. You're going to lose a lot when you do this.

I don't try to keep up or pass going downhill. That's just asking for trouble.
Old 06-29-18, 09:48 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by LanghamP
Interval training works.
I totally believe it. I just can't make myself do it. I just don't give enough f's. No matter what I try (what I've tried so far at least) within a few days I'm back to aimlessly plodding along at strolling effort, enjoying my podcasts.
Old 06-29-18, 10:14 AM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
I totally believe it. I just can't make myself do it. I just don't give enough f's. No matter what I try (what I've tried so far at least) within a few days I'm back to aimlessly plodding along at strolling effort, enjoying my podcasts.
Join a bicycle club that is all-male. There's always some trash-talking guy, usually ex-military, that likes to pedal or run alongside you, telling you just how much you suck.

That'll motivate you.
Old 06-29-18, 10:35 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Not a chance in hell. Even if everybody were nice, the thought of riding in a paceline, just ugh. A MTB 'club' sounds only slightly less awful.
Old 06-29-18, 12:27 PM
LanghamP

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Not a chance in hell. Even if everybody were nice, the thought of riding in a paceline, just ugh. A MTB 'club' sounds only slightly less awful.
Ah your training sucks.

However, there's a lot to be said with the long hours at a slow or moderate pace compared to interval training. First of all, less chance of injury, and second you get really strong. Interval training is all about high RPM but I have seen that having good ol' fashion torque works better for getting up hills.

I don't like mountain biking with others because of the vast numbers of spills and, of course, the hour drive to and back.
Old 06-29-18, 12:58 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by LanghamP
Ah your training sucks.
This I know, and that's the point. I have no interest in training on a bicycle, for the purpose of riding a bicycle faster. I'm marginally interested in 'training' on a bicycle to improve/maintain fitness/weight (sure beats running!), but apparently not interested enough to stick to any plan or anything.

However, there's a lot to be said with the long hours at a slow or moderate pace compared to interval training. First of all, less chance of injury, and second you get really strong. Interval training is all about high RPM but I have seen that having good ol' fashion torque works better for getting up hills.
Long term avg 10mph is surely 'slow or moderate'; does half an hour-ish each way to work count as 'long hours'?

I don't like mountain biking with others because of the vast numbers of spills and, of course, the hour drive to and back.
That's a real bummer. I mean the hour drive. I live among tons of trails, and ride to them way more often than I drive to them (2 closest trailheads are 1.2 and 1.5mi away). It's the best. From this sweet setup, I would never move to a place without trails nearby -- except maybe to a nursing home if I'm about to die.

I ride with my wife a lot, we are learning give each other space so if the leader doesn't make it up a hill they have time to get out of the way. If I trail ride with any larger groups it usually includes kids, so pretty casual pace. Not much opportunity for multi-bike pileups.
Old 06-29-18, 02:51 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 59 Posts
Can I use ^^THIS in my Sig Line?

[EDIT]: Joey's world view is such that people wearing bike [racing] clothes to ride their bikes [casually] is somehow more contemptible and pathetic [than almost anything else he can think of].
You can represent your weird, desperate behavior with whatever words you like. Even a misquote of mine, if that makes you feel like you've won something. That seems like it's pretty important to you?
Old 06-29-18, 07:41 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

I have great contempt for sad little poseurs who dress up in their bicycle costumes with logos of Italian dish soap or flooring companies and never go fast enough for it to make the slightest difference.

And don't be fooled. Geek hunting is a mean-spirited thing to do. My disdain for pointy-helmet poseurs is such that I really do want to hurt them the most I can in a perfectly legal way. I am not a nice person in general. Just call what I do in these videos "abuse of a superpower". And don't hand me any of that "they didn't know they were in a race" nonsense. Especially the guy who was ACTUALLY in a race (and in the lead) that I crashed.

Playing with video got boring. If I can still do this a 100 years old, I'll be happy to shine my light in Geekville any time. Not playing with video anymore. It all ends the same way anyhow.

I gotta go ride now. Cheers.
Make friends, not enemies, clothing doesn't reflect riding ability.
Old 06-30-18, 04:23 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
I have great contempt for sad little poseurs who dress up in their bicycle costumes with logos of Italian dish soap or flooring companies and never go fast enough for it to make the slightest difference.
And don't be fooled. Geek hunting is a mean-spirited thing to do. My disdain for pointy-helmet poseurs is such that I really do want to hurt them the most I can in a perfectly legal way. I am not a nice person in general.
Joey you seem to have some anger issues. At least these people are out riding. Who cares what they want to dress like or spend their own money on? It seems to me that you're the sad one here dude, not the other way around. Why are you so angry and hateful?
Old 07-02-18, 09:33 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I get it; I would never dress that way, and I resent that the industry has imposed external expectations that gullible people have bought into and wasted money to buy. I just hate waste and consumerism in general.
Old 07-02-18, 11:42 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by grolby
You can represent your weird, desperate behavior with whatever words you like. Even a misquote of mine, if that makes you feel like you've won something. That seems like it's pretty important to you?
You mad, bro?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.