Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Bicycling licenses required for DRIVERS!

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Bicycling licenses required for DRIVERS!

Old 07-14-18, 10:32 PM
Kontact 

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4330 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
And yet, oddly, perfomance of "an athletic ability" is often required in a DUI test.

(just as odd a metaphor as your land ownership example)
So if man with no legs is pulled over for DUI, you think he is made to walk the line? Is that how you think it works?
Old 07-14-18, 10:36 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,635 Times in 4,050 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
What I want and what is fair protection under the law aren't the same things. If a person is unable to pass a driver's test, then they are unable to pass a driver's test.

You can drive a car with no sense of balance. You can't bike 2 feet that way. So now that has been pointed out, let's hear how you guys have this simple, painless plan for an extensive medical exception guideline allowing people who can't safely ride a bike to get a driver's license anyway.
You could allow an exception for the balance deficient among us.

Old 07-14-18, 10:40 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
You could allow an exception for the balance deficient among us.

Is that the heart disease or the cerebral palsy model? Who paid for it? How is its use monitored? Who pays for the monitoring. Who trains people to use them? Who pays the liability if someone is hurt riding a bike they didn't want to ride?

Insane.
Old 07-14-18, 10:57 PM
genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
So if man with no legs is pulled over for DUI, you think he is made to walk the line? Is that how you think it works?
So you want exceptions for MOST of the able bodied public based on a tiny example. Gee, last time I checked MOST cars were not drivable by people with no legs... so do we need to enable all cars too... or do you want to continue down this slope of absurd.
Old 07-14-18, 11:20 PM
Kontact 

So you want exceptions for MOST of the able bodied public based on a tiny example. Gee, last time I checked MOST cars were not drivable by people with no legs... so do we need to enable all cars too... or do you want to continue down this slope of absurd.
All the people with no legs that drive cars have cars that can be driven with no legs.

The absurd thing (aside from you not knowing that) is the complex system of exceptions required when you force people - especially non-able bodied people - to prove to the government that they are unfit for physical activity. The most comparable system is the draft board.

And all for a ridiculous, unproven and possibly completely useless program that is unlikely to change the accident rates at all. Because drivers don't hit cyclists because they don't care, they hit them because they don't see them. Making people ride bikes isn't going to raise America into a higher level of consciousness, it will probably just give more people reason to hate cyclists for forcing them to do something pointless just to get a driver's license.

We could also put everyone through clown college, and I guarantee that clowns won't get more popular.

Last edited by Kontact; 07-14-18 at 11:24 PM.
Old 07-14-18, 11:48 PM
genec
genec

All the people with no legs that drive cars have cars that can be driven with no legs.

The absurd thing (aside from you not knowing that) is the complex system of exceptions required when you force people - especially non-able bodied people - to prove to the government that they are unfit for physical activity. The most comparable system is the draft board.

And all for a ridiculous, unproven and possibly completely useless program that is unlikely to change the accident rates at all. Because drivers don't hit cyclists because they don't care, they hit them because they don't see them. Making people ride bikes isn't going to raise America into a higher level of consciousness, it will probably just give more people reason to hate cyclists for forcing them to do something pointless just to get a driver's license.

We could also put everyone through clown college, and I guarantee that clowns won't get more popular.
Now, let's tone down the rhetoric a bit and examine a few realistic ideas.

First, incorporate driver training/drivers ed into a program in our public school system... just as it was when I went to school in Texas in the early '70s. This should be no less a requirement than any other subject like history or math or english. Driving or public road use is something most American adults do daily... we should train for it.

Second, ensure rules of the road for all road users is emphasized and taught, as well as the history and ethics involved. (IE, motorists do not own the road...etc )

Third, encourage cycling to school, and as a PE subject, like swmming or golf.

Fourth, "exceptions" as you mention, can be handled by the DMV, on a case by case basis; and license is or is not issued... this is just how things are done right now.

In doing all the above, training becomes a prerequisite for a license, just as are certain classes are required to graduate. And exceptions are handled by the DMV, just as it now occurs.

There, all laid out.
Of course if self driving cars ever do become reality... then driving class becomes a mere "elective."
Old 07-15-18, 02:01 AM
Kontact 

Now, let's tone down the rhetoric a bit and examine a few realistic ideas.

First, incorporate driver training/drivers ed into a program in our public school system... just as it was when I went to school in Texas in the early '70s. This should be no less a requirement than any other subject like history or math or english. Driving or public road use is something most American adults do daily... we should train for it.

Second, ensure rules of the road for all road users is emphasized and taught, as well as the history and ethics involved. (IE, motorists do not own the road...etc )

Third, encourage cycling to school, and as a PE subject, like swmming or golf.

Fourth, "exceptions" as you mention, can be handled by the DMV, on a case by case basis; and license is or is not issued... this is just how things are done right now.

In doing all the above, training becomes a prerequisite for a license, just as are certain classes are required to graduate. And exceptions are handled by the DMV, just as it now occurs.

There, all laid out.
Of course if self driving cars ever do become reality... then driving class becomes a mere "elective."
No one is ever going to pass a law like this. Why refine a fantasy?
Old 07-15-18, 08:22 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Is that the heart disease or the cerebral palsy model? Who paid for it? How is its use monitored? Who pays for the monitoring. Who trains people to use them? Who pays the liability if someone is hurt riding a bike they didn't want to ride?

Insane.
Etrikes are also available.
Old 07-15-18, 08:25 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

And all for a ridiculous, unproven and possibly completely useless program that is unlikely to change the accident rates at all. Because drivers don't hit cyclists because they don't care, they hit them because they don't see them.
Actually they often say they don't see them. Those that actually don't see them often don't see them because they aren't actively trying to see them.
Old 07-15-18, 08:29 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Yes, it is currently a pipedream but it is the ideal. I see nothing wrong with seeking to define the ideal.
Old 07-15-18, 08:59 AM
genec
genec

3 foot laws were once a pipe dream... now just about every state has 'em.

You'll never get what don't even attempt to achieve.
Old 07-15-18, 09:56 AM
Cadillac

Bikes: Trek 2000, Catrike, Gitane tandem, no-name mountain bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Until a few years ago, the only mention of a bicycle in the driver's handbook that new drivers had to learn in order to pass the written exam was that bicycle riders must ride in the same direction as cars, not facing traffic.
I would estimate that 80% of drivers on the road did not have much more info than that when they studied for the exam.
They don't know about looking before opening car doors, safe distances, etc.
They do know that there are hot-rod cyclists like city couriers they see on movies and brand a lot of cyclists accordingly.
While the original poster and others have some good ideas for new drivers, they don't address the 80% (or more) who are currently driving.
What I would like to see is some serious cycling safety issues presented in TV ads, driver's insurance renewal forms, license renewal, social media, and news articles.
Having said that, for many drivers it has been a long time since they knew all the rules of the road.
They also have trouble with traffic circles, 4-way stops, zipper merging, hwy merging, and a few other newer procedures.
Very little is given to them to help them drive safely.
That's why I think there should be a concerted effort to continue teaching them the rules of the road.
Once any professional (doctor, lawyer, teacher) graduates, he continues to learn the latest info or else he is obsolete. -- Same goes for drivers.
Old 07-15-18, 10:04 AM
OHMO
Grumpy, whiny, old man

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I drive a four-wheel motorized vehicle. Used to ride motor cycles. Have been riding bicycles most of my life, and have not been involved in any accidents while on a cycle.

At least a dozen of my friends and acquaintances have been hurt in car-bike (of both kinds) accidents. One even died in his accident.

Without exception the responsibility for the accidents was shared by car driver and bike rider. This observation is based on conversations with the riders after the accidents. In the case of the death, the police report, based on three witnesses, stated the (motor) cycle rider was at fault for excessive speed and failure to control his ride.

My experience is not your experience, but coulda', woulda', shoulda' goes both ways.
Old 07-15-18, 10:31 AM
genec
genec

Originally Posted by Cadillac
Until a few years ago, the only mention of a bicycle in the driver's handbook that new drivers had to learn in order to pass the written exam was that bicycle riders must ride in the same direction as cars, not facing traffic.
I would estimate that 80% of drivers on the road did not have much more info than that when they studied for the exam.
They don't know about looking before opening car doors, safe distances, etc.
They do know that there are hot-rod cyclists like city couriers they see on movies and brand a lot of cyclists accordingly.
While the original poster and others have some good ideas for new drivers, they don't address the 80% (or more) who are currently driving.
What I would like to see is some serious cycling safety issues presented in TV ads, driver's insurance renewal forms, license renewal, social media, and news articles.
Having said that, for many drivers it has been a long time since they knew all the rules of the road.
They also have trouble with traffic circles, 4-way stops, zipper merging, hwy merging, and a few other newer procedures.
Very little is given to them to help them drive safely.
That's why I think there should be a concerted effort to continue teaching them the rules of the road.
Once any professional (doctor, lawyer, teacher) graduates, he continues to learn the latest info or else he is obsolete. -- Same goes for drivers.
Wholly tend to agree... watching folks approach dead traffic lights during a huge blackout showed me most drivers really are quite poor at right of way rules.
Old 07-15-18, 11:05 AM
Kontact 

3 foot laws were once a pipe dream... now just about every state has 'em.

You'll never get what don't even attempt to achieve.
3 foot laws cost nothing and codify something that courts were likely finding as common sense. This boondogle is as expensive as it is unfounded.
Old 07-15-18, 05:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts

Insane.
The same people who will pay and be responsible for the bicycle training programs to be instituted throughout the land in order to satisfy the pipe dreams of a handful of anti-motorist zealots.
Old 07-15-18, 06:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
And we've reached LCF-vana. OM.
Old 07-15-18, 07:13 PM
Matt74

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you think it’s dumb, you can say so. That’s fine, but don’t try to prevent anyone else from discussing it by trolling everyone who comments. Contribute something or ignore it.
Old 07-15-18, 07:42 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The same people who will pay and be responsible for the bicycle training programs to be instituted throughout the land in order to satisfy the pipe dreams of a handful of anti-motorist zealots.
I'm not anti-motorist, but I am pro-enhanced-road-user-education.

The current driver education regiment is woefully inadequate, as is ongoing driver testing. Roads would likely be much safer with a comprehensive road user education for all road users every 5 years or so, instead of just applying for license renewal online and getting rubber-stamped for a new card.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 07-15-18 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 09:30 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
I'm not anti-motorist, but I am pro-enhanced-road-user-education.

The current driver education regiment is woefully inadequate, as is ongoing driver testing. Roads would likely be much safer with a comprehensive road user education for all road users every 5 years or so, instead of just applying for license renewal online and getting rubber-stamped for a new card.
What sort of study causes you to conclude that increased training or testing increases driver situational awareness?

Or is this just one of things that is "common sense"?
Old 07-15-18, 09:31 PM
Matt74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
And we’ve reached the LCF-vana. OM.
What is “LCF-vana. OM.”?

Confused....

Old 07-15-18, 09:34 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts
How about an automatic, mandatory 90 day driver's license suspension for any auto accident involving injury to a pedestrian or cyclist with zero exceptions? That would be possible and certainly improve things a lot.
Old 07-15-18, 09:53 PM
Matt74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When I thought about actually asking people to get on a bike in my community, I immediately dismissed it because some of them were sure to get hit, and either injured or killed. But, I do think there would be no better way to get drivers to understand.

However, as was just said, drivers’ education and testing is inadequate when it comes to cyclists and pedestrians. Driving around bicycles and pedestrians is a necessary skill for any driver. Requiring some skill or knowledge would make them more comfortable doing it. By giving them essentially nothing, a clear message is sent that dealing with bicycles and pedestrians is not a part of driving. So it makes sense that they should be upset when they see you, and that they would do stupid things. Safe bicyle riding is another matter that should be discussed, but the larger danger comes from the tons of steel flying down the road at 60mph, not the guy on a spindly bike, wearing what is basically his underwear and a styrofoam hat.

You could have questions incuded in the regular exam. Put more in the instruction book. Have them play a video game. Anything. Ignoring it isn’t really an option.

Last edited by Matt74; 07-15-18 at 09:59 PM.
Old 07-15-18, 09:57 PM
Matt74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grayEZrider
How about an automatic, mandatory 90 day driver's license suspension for any auto accident involving injury to a pedestrian or cyclist with zero exceptions? That would be possible and certainly improve things a lot.
I do think that some kind of law needs passed about hitting cyclists. The police are not doing their job. We shouldn’t need a law, but they won’t hold people accoutable unless they have to. Charge the cyclist too, if they were doing something illegal.
Old 07-15-18, 09:58 PM
Kontact 

Originally Posted by grayEZrider
How would punishing driver for a cyclist mistake help anything.

And how would that be legal under the Constitutional right to due process?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.