Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

50+ers invited to join me in Ann Arbor, July 14!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 07:14 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 662 Times in 504 Posts

I'm starting this thread because, after writing in the thread about "still biking at 64 yo!" I realize I am yet again returning to biking at 64 years old! My current goal is to be ready for a 65 mile loop at our local massive group ride/miniature Gran Fondo, One Helluva Ride. Thinking about that I realize there are still some vintage BF members who have done this before, and ... Let's do it again!

BTW, I am not paying for food, lodging, innertubes, et cetera. Maybe beers ...

My attached message to the 64 years old thread:

"I'm 64 (65 this July) and have just retired from full-time engineering work. Since the last day of the job I've been out on the bike three times - 20 miles near Niagara Falls, 27 miles through our local chain of Metroparks, and 19 miles along our famous Huron River Drive. I'm feeling stronger each ride - can't believe it! When my last job started four years ago, I had a lot of travel to Germany and just really long days, so cycling went on a hiatus. That was actually one motivation to retire - I never meant to stay with this job more than three years in the first place.

Plan is for wife and I to do the 65 mile loop on July 14 for the One Helluva Ride here in Michigan, near Ann Arbor. Some fellow BF50+ old-timers might remember we got together for that ride a few times. It ain't so much work to organize a few little associated group events for anyone who wants to c'mon down and join us! At the very least, a Thursday meet for beer and burgers in Chelsea, MI (town which hosts the event) should be in the plan! Other possibilities are also acceptable. I know a range of restaurants in the area, but not all of them. I might and up having to go out partying with older cyclists twice. Tough job, but ... well, you folks know.

I don't see any weight coming off yet, but I can feel better strength and flexibility.

Bill (CB400), I'm going to copy this content and start a new thread in 50+, if that's ok. I'd like the group at large to see it on it's own."

BTW, Mods are also welcome.

I intend to keep the organization relative to BF folks light, but If you want any information about this opportunity I will be glad to provide it if it exists.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-19-18 at 08:59 PM.
Old 06-16-18, 05:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
I'm starting this thread because, after writing in the thread about "still biking at 64 yo!" I realize I am yet gain returning to biking at 64 years old! My current goal is to be ready for a 65 mile loop at our local massive group ride/miniature Gran Fondo, One Helluva Ride. She is is a piece! Thinking about that I realize there are still some vintage BF members who have done this before, and ... Let's do it again!

My attached message to the 64 years old thread:

"I'm 64 (65 this July) and have just retired from full-time engineering work. Since the last day of the job I've been out on the bike three times - 20 miles near Niagara Falls, 27 miles through our local chain of Metroparks, and 19 miles along our famous Huron River Drive. I'm feeling stronger each ride - can't believe it! When my last job started four years ago, I had a lot of travel to Germany and just really long days, so cycling went on a hiatus. That was actually one motivation to retire - I never meant to stay with this job more than three years in the first place is these excisions.

Plan is for wife and I to do the 65 mile loop on July 14 for the One Helluva Ride here in Michigan, near Ann Arbor. Some fellow BF50+ old-timers might remember we got together for that ride a few times. It ain't so much work to organize a few little associated group events for anyone who wants to c'mon down and join us! At the very least, a Thursday meet for beer and burgers in Chelsea, MI (town which hosts the event) should be in the plan! Other possibilities are also acceptable. I know a range of restaurants in the area, but not all of them. I might and up having to go out partying with older cyclists twice. Tough job, but ... well, you folks know.

I don't see any weight coming off yet, but I can feel better strength and flexibility.

…I intend to keep the organization relative to BF folks light, but If you want any information about this opportunity I will be glad to provide it if it exists.
Hi Road Fan,

Nice to hear from you again. As you may recall, I was one of those vintage BF members who participated with you in the OHR in 2011 and 2015, and in college, the Huron River Drive was a favorite route. I was an entusiastic participant in those so-called “Fifty-Plus Annual Rides," and even kept an archival list (link) of those from 2009 to 2015. About the OHR (2015):
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
…This year was a nice reunion from 2011, and a great ride. The above-mentioned gang of four rode (but not together) then, and we met Mrs. RF for ice cream. RF himself was the instigator for that one. For me as before, this ride capped a pleasant visit with family in the Detroit area, and the visit was well worth the one-way 750+ mile drive...

It’s a treat to … to have companions as nice as the Road Fans to chat with, from bicycling topics such as technical details and training techiques, to life style items such a music and travel. It’s particularly interesting, as inhabitants of Bike Forums to discuss the other correspondents we know and read, either personally, or as “E-entities...”
This year however, our travel plans to Michigan are firmly set for September, and we will spend our July 4th and thereabout time in the charming seacoast town of Rockport, MA, to of course include some cycling.

BTW, in the Great Lakes Regional Discussion Forum was this recent post from Novi, MI:
Originally Posted by John9
Any road riders in the Novi / Walled Lake area? I'm new to the area and am looking for routes and/or bike friendly roads, which seem to be lacking around here. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a car rack, so I am open to traveling around Metro Detroit / Ann Arbor/ Brighton in order to find some good routes. Thanks! .
...IMO, Ann Arbor and vicinity [to include the area of the OHR] is a cycling mecca...
I’ll refer your offer to [him].

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-16-18 at 05:23 AM.
Old 06-16-18, 07:59 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Wow RF, I didn't know you were so OLD! Me, I'm only 62. I'm interested in a repeat of 2011. I'll have to snag more details and check my calendar. Are you thinking Thursday afternoon?
Old 06-17-18, 01:40 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
I'm starting this thread because, after writing in the thread about "still biking at 64 yo!" I realize I am yet gain returning to biking at 64 years old! My current goal is to be ready for a 65 mile loop at our local massive group ride/miniature Gran Fondo, One Helluva Ride. Thinking about that I realize there are still some vintage BF members who have done this before, and ... Let's do it again!

My attached message to the 64 years old thread <snip>
Crap. I'm already spoken for that weekend..
Old 06-18-18, 01:08 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Originally Posted by JLDickmon
Crap. I'm already spoken for that weekend..
I think 5teve is qualified to be in our group, and he lives nearby, although he rarely does big organized stuff. I'll mention it to him the next time I see him.
Old 06-18-18, 04:50 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Wow RF, I didn't know you were so OLD! Me, I'm only 62. I'm interested in a repeat of 2011. I'll have to snag more details and check my calendar. Are you thinking Thursday afternoon?
I wouldn't say I'm THINKING Thursday afternoon, but now that you mention it, I can't think of too many things I'd rather be doing on Thursday afternoon before the OHR than beer or biking with buds, if that's what you have in mind!

As far as "old" goes, I'm coming to realize that Depends make really good chamois when worn under cycling shorts, and that cycling with crutches packed gives you an alternative propulsion system - rowing!
Old 06-18-18, 05:42 PM
Road Fan

I should add that the ride is run by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society, and hence is open to all riders with a few $, not limited to 50 plussers or Bike Forums members.
Old 06-19-18, 03:19 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
https://www.aabts.org/one_helluva_ride.php
Old 06-19-18, 10:36 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
Ann Arbor -- "The Athens of the MIdwest." Best wishes to everyone on your ride!
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 06-19-18, 02:32 PM
BlazingPedals

I wouldn't say I'm THINKING Thursday afternoon, but now that you mention it, I can't think of too many things I'd rather be doing on Thursday afternoon before the OHR than beer or biking with buds, if that's what you have in mind!

As far as "old" goes, I'm coming to realize that Depends make really good chamois when worn under cycling shorts, and that cycling with crutches packed gives you an alternative propulsion system - rowing!
Speaking as a working stiff, it'd be easier for me to take Friday off than to take Thursday AND Friday off, or to take Thursday off and then go back to work on Friday.
Old 06-19-18, 08:57 PM
Road Fan

For me, it's all the same: Thursday afternoon, Thursday evening, Friday afternoon, Friday evening. The OHR ride is Saturday. No pressure.

Sounds like the "public" plan should be to meet for dinner/drinks Thursday evening or Friday afternoon..
Old 06-19-18, 08:58 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Yep, that is the one!
Old 06-20-18, 06:42 AM
Harumph

Bikes: 2018 BMC RoadMachine 02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
What is the terrain like? Flat, Hills, all the above?
Old 06-21-18, 06:02 AM
Jim from Boston

Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Harumph
I was one of those vintage BF members who participated with you in the OHR in 2011 and 2013I was an enthusiastic participant in those so-called “Fifty-Plus Annual Rides," and even kept an archival list (link) of those from 2009 to 2015
Here are some annotated personal narratives of the Ride, describing the milieu:

Fom the Route in 2011:
I'll preface my report by saying that, by my philosophy, speed is fun. And I had a blast today.

…Once out of town, we headed north and gradually picked up the pace. Before long we were doing 22 mph, then 23, then 25+ on flat ground. Early on, I hit my day's high speed of 39.6 mph. If I'd have known I was that close to 40 mph, I would have pedaled harder! Since we were pushing it on the flats, I made the decision to NOT push hard on the hills, which were the standard S Michigan fare…

The route after lunch was more of the same stuff. …By now, a small wind had come up, which was quartering against us. Just enough to move the flags in the front yards. Headwind is bad for average speed, but it makes us look GREAT because it only slows our recumbents down half as much as it slows everyone else… At one point, we came off a small hill doing 30 mph, then accelerated to 33 mph for the several mile shot out across the lowlands…

It was a pleasure to meet everyone this weekend. I was impressed by the quality of riders represented by BF. There's lots of good experience and skill in the group! Maybe we'll see a few more here next year.
…The hills were really quite tough in those last 10 miles, at least for me. I had a few moments of brilliance where I topped one at about 22 mph, but had to let the batteries recharge for the next one, slogging up it at 4 mph at a 50 cadence…

Even if this doesn't become a mainstay of the 50+ers, I recommend the One Helluva Ride to all of you.
… The initial half of the ride was very pleasant: sylvan, shaded and pastoral scenery, slightly up and down terrain, and roads I would describe as intimate; low traffic with no shoulder and none necessary…

My worst miles [on a Century] are routinely 40 to 60, and the route became challenging after the 60 mile lunch stop…The latter half of the ride was on wider and busier roads, though acceptable, but there was little shade. It was in the 90’s with incessant sun, the slight but noticeable head wind as described by Blazing Pedals, and hillier as described by Road Fan.

Over the last 50 miles I applied sunscreen three times and got three hosings at the stops. I had a surprisingly good pace for a few miles at 75 miles, even pulling for an apparent roadie, but around mile 84, I had to sit in the shade and pour water over myself to cool...

I wanted to say "Hi" to everybody on the ride and to our well-wishers. I have no regrets about this adventure [after an accident on my own], and fortunately got out of it alive. The main motivation to take it on was to meet such a nice group …
Route in 2015:
The ride is over, and was a great experience from the Road Fans' point of view… Training-wise I've been trying to remain conversational, and let the HR rise on the hills, but I didn't intend to go anaerobic unless I wanted to. The compact gearing was not quite low enough for that, for me. Jim and Mrs Road Fan seemed to have no problem….

As far as other exotic equipment, I saw a lot of carbon and some Specialized tri-bikes. The overall attendance seemed more sparse, but I've rarely started this ride so early in the morning.

After finishing, Jim and the Fans had lunch at Metzger's German Restaurant, located between Ann Arbor and Chelsea. Nice place!
As the self-proclaimed ”archivist” of the Annual Fifty-Plus Rides, I note that this is the first reported Annual Ride this year, and the third time for the Michigan OHR. This year was a nice reunion from 2011, and a great ride … The name One Helluva Ride,” is taken from the nearby town of Hell, MI…

The rainfall in that region was indeed a topic of conversation. The RF’s and I had our first stop at the main lunch spot (prior to lunch time) and Mrs. RF commented how heavy the mosquitos were due to the heavy rains. The AABTS was well prepared with insect repellent.

Though we never made the Ride Lunch itself, both food stops were well stocked with convenient facilities, shade, drinks, excellent cookies and remarkably luscious fruit…

The ride certainly did attract a lot of seemingly well-attired and equipped cyclists, but all were welcome and the ambience was totally midwestern-friendly. Our route, and the weather combined for a virtually perfect ride. The roads were very lightly traveled, almost more sag wagons, than local traffic. The scenery was lushly rural, mostly well-shaded with lots of cornfields and farms...

Metzger's is a long standing Ann Arbor traditional and a quite authentic German restaurant. We continued to have a lively conversation, and got quite biographical about ourselves. We departed with a hopeful, Same time, next year.”
Originally Posted by freedomrider1
… As i told my wife about the ride when she asked,' I killed it' i felt strong and it was a perfect day.

I do this ride every year and i just don't know if they could do a better job. Oh i must mention the ice cold watermelon at the finish line. it was wonderful.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 06-21-18 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-21-18, 12:22 PM
5teve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 29 Posts
I think 5teve is qualified to be in our group, and he lives nearby, although he rarely does big organized stuff. I'll mention it to him the next time I see him.
Thinks for thanking of me but I'll be in da UP, trying not to die on the mtb trails in Marquette and Copper Harbor...
Old 06-24-18, 04:13 PM
Road Fan

Just found this from the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society, which sponsors and manages One Helluva Ride. Basic message is that there is a discount for advanced registration, and the emails/links are provided. Register yourselves, but please let me know if you are coming. I would like to meet for beers and/or burgers on Friday at Clancy's Irish Pub in Chelsea. We did this one other time and it was good just to all sit and chat a while. Blazing Pedals and I discussed the time a week ago, and since some (most?) of us are still working stiffs (I am now an idle stiff), it's easier to get a day off on Friday rather than Thursday, at least it is for BP.

START QUOTE FROM ANN ARBOR BICYCLE TOURING SOCIETY NEWSLETTER >>>>

Only one more week to Save $10 versus Day of Ride Registration. Please Register Online no later than next Saturday, July 1st.

The Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society (AABTS) will present its 42nd Annual One Helluva Ride (OHR) on Saturday, July 14th, 2018.
Please join us for a day of scenic bicycle touring over low traffic, tree-lined, paved roads in Washtenaw, Ingham, Jackson and Livingston counties. OHR riders choose from six great scenic loop routes of 16, 30, 40, 62, 75 and 100 miles. A 40 mile gravel loop has been added.

Only the 100 mile route is going through Hell this year

NEW THIS YEAR

-- Seymour Road has a fresh 4" layer of asphalt. See the photo above!
-- All Routes stay above I-94 and on better roads (Still Michigan roads though)
-- New Rest stop - at the Waterloo Farm Museum.
-- 40 Mile Gravel Route leaving from Chelsea

Pre-registration is available online only - https://www.aabts.org/one_helluva_ride.php - at $30 (Adult), $12 (Minor 7-17), and free for children under 7. We have upgraded our website and registration program, so the process will be different than in prior years. You can now register everyone in your family at the same time and have one payment.

Online ride registrations will be accepted up through July 1st

After July 1st, all registrations will have to be made on the Day of Ride (July 14th) at the Chelsea Fairgrounds (40, 62, 75 and 100 paved (and 40 gravel) mile rides) or Portage Lake State Park (16 and 30 mile Fun Rides) at a cost of $40 (Adult), $12 (Minor 7-17), and free for children under 7. A limited supply of merchandise will be available Day of Ride at the Chelsea Fairgrounds.
Visit our web page https://www.aabts.org/one_helluva_ride.php for additional information, to view all the merchandise and to register.

"Like" our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/onehelluvaride to receive up to the minute OHR reports.

We look forward to hosting you on the second Saturday in July! If you have already registered we thank you for your support.

Happy riding,
The AABTS-OHR committee
ohrinfo@aabts.org
Our mailing address is:
AABTS
PO Box 1585
Ann Arbor MI 48106
unsubscribe from this list update subscription preferences

END QUOTE FROM ANN ARBOR BICYCLE TOURING SOCIETY letter >>>>

I recommend to anyone in BF to access the full and correct information from the AABTS website given above, but I would be happy to try to find answers to your questions for any of you.

I plan to ride my 2005 Mondonico ELOS, not a vintage bike this time. It makes me "run my fastest and jump my highest." I'm planning to ride the 65 mile route, but I'll need to do a 50-miler on Monday July 9 latest to feel confident in a 65-er. I'm starting four days on/two days off as of Monday June 25, intending to ride shadowing the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring society weekday rides. Mrs. Road Fan and I did a 34 mile loop Friday June 22, and it was not exhausting, but exposed a fit issue. I changed to a seatpost allowing more setback, so that should help.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-24-18 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-25-18, 10:58 AM
BlazingPedals

regarding terrain, you can see my ride from last year on Strava:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1073974752
Old 07-09-18, 08:32 PM
Road Fan

Hey Blazing, I just checked out your Strava link. The rides I've done so far this year have climbed between 500 and 800 feet, and covered between 18 and 43 miles. I think tomorrow I'll go out and try some Ann Arbor hills, then clean up and try a flattish 50 or so miles on Wednesday. If I survive, I'll deem it as Ready for 65 OHR.

I saw your note about Friday night - Your conclusion is totally fine. I plan to start out early tomorrow and again on Saturday - getting stuck in the hot sun is not a good place to be.

If the weather is bad we can text.
Old 07-09-18, 10:04 PM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by Harumph
From my history on this route, it is all of the above. I never quantified the hills until I saw Blazing's Strava map with elevation profile, but I'm surprised to see he has recorded 2500 feet of climbing over 75 miles. I would plan to do 65 this time, so my guess is I face about 2000 feet of climbing. For an Appalachian or Rocky Mountains person that is not a lot. Michigan (here near the middle) has rolling hills due to all the rivers and glacial action, which get bigger and more rolling as you get toward the center. On this route there will be rollers, some big, some twisties undulating over and around hills, some steep grades that are not extremel long, and other hills over a mile. But a lot of farmland, a lot of woods, loads of green, some bridges over rivers, some little towns,
Old 07-12-18, 01:25 PM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
Unfortunately i won't make it this year Ken. I've got some business which must be addressed this weekend. Have a good time!

Marc
Old 07-14-18, 05:00 AM
Road Fan

Hey, all, I'm hurting this morning! I had problems with my main bike and left it at LBS to get a new chain installed, and did some training on another that was radically different. After two rides I was in bad rear end pain and nowhere near my target level. And now Mrs. Road Fan wants to go riding somewhere else, so I don't think I'll be at OHR this year.

Instead we'll be riding Lower Huron/Willow/Oak Ridge Metroparks to Lake Erie. Not a birthday ride, but a better distance for now.
Old 07-15-18, 02:10 PM
BlazingPedals

I missed it this year, too. We had a contractor over for an estimate Friday evening, who took a ridiculous amount of time giving us the hard sell before we finally had to tell him we'd heard enough and sent him packing. He never did give us any numbers whatsoever, which is probably just as well. Wasted evening.

Anyway, we got to bed late and slept in too long to make the ride.