Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

So how do you justify another bike in the stable?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

So how do you justify another bike in the stable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-18, 05:53 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18416 Post(s)
Liked 15,554 Times in 7,330 Posts
I don't have this problem. When it comes to spending money, I answer only to myself.
Old 08-23-18, 06:57 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Wives aren't always rational ..... .
Clarified that.
Old 08-23-18, 07:00 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by pdlamb
She's also seem most of the maintenance I've done on all my bikes, so she's started asking me if I don't need a new bike that's not so old? So far I've held her off, but you know, my resistance is slowly being eroded. Someday I'll buy another bike -- just because she asked me to!
LOL. Similar. My wife asked why i don't buy one really expensive bike that worked all the time instead of rebuilding old bikes.

I was tempted, but i honestly couldn't justify it to myself.
Old 08-23-18, 07:05 AM
Maelochs

I like @downtube24 's Appalachian trail/Sports ar dodge.
Old 08-23-18, 07:50 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
A marriage IS a union between 2 people. A complete union? Hardly. A lot of marriages have a rule against putting limits on the other partner. The ol' respect my autonomy & I'll never do you wrong sort of thing.

As far as my input to the OP: Whose money is it? Are ALL of the obligations to house, spouse, & bills met? After that, I say the other has no grounds to stand on, but it would still be in your best interest to make her feel appreciated.

That you want it & it causes no hardship ought to be enough reason for a loving spouse to afford you the lattitude to go get it so long as all the other obligations have been met.

Aaron, with 10 bikes & married almost 18 years.
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is bull crap.

Marriage is supposed to be a complete union. Two become one. If you are not discussing things with your wife and are doing things behind her back then don't expect to be married long.

Talk it over. If you can't agree then it doesn't happen.

Ask yourself how you would feel if you didn't approve of a $3000 purchase and she did it anyway.

I'm sure others will disagree with me.

-Tim-
Old 08-23-18, 08:25 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,288 Times in 1,278 Posts
At almost 64 years old and married to the same woman since I was 20, I have always discussed my intentions first . This opens the discussion phase when logic and desire merge to form a viable solution. I have way more bikes than I need and I still look at local sales and stuff. My wife gets it, she realizes that for me, a workaholic, my bikes are a diversion.I ride them all in rotation and enjoy fixing them up and tinkering with them. She realizes how important it is to have a hobby and for the most part , goes along with it. That being said, I do have a shop to aid with storage, which I think is the biggest problem! Joe
Old 08-23-18, 01:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
"use"

meaning, don't use it? sell it

sell all them bikes

then, if you need/want a bike, buy one & ride it

if you buy a bike & don't ride it, that's a waste

oh & regarding the spouse, she is not consulted
Old 08-24-18, 09:36 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
I justify by saying there are 7 days in a week and I need one for each day. Or in the case of @jamesdak one for each day of the month.
Old 08-24-18, 09:51 AM
Khb

Bikes: Stromer ST-1; Gary Fisher SAAB edition; Dahon Speed D7; Motobecane Grand Touring 1972

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Before I got married, my one time manager gave me some good advice. She said, whenever you want something expensive ... ask yourself can you buy 2. I said why? She said you want X, your wife to be will be entitled to Y of equal or higher value....at least that's what's always worked for me she said.

Since she had bought a vineyard, I asked what her husband got. She said a tractor and lots of other toys.... and that's why I'm still working ;>
Old 08-24-18, 10:16 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudebob
So I currently have two road bikes, a very capable (and most expesive of the fleet) mountain bike, a low end cruiser and a budget tandem. However, I recently got the itch for a higher end carbon fiber mountain bike. My wife doesn't share the same passion for more than one steed in the stable while I seem very convinced that I need (O.K., want) another bike.

In the past I have broached the N+1 aquistion using multiple approaches:

The justification method: Cycling is becoming more and more the go-to physical fitness activity I will rely on as I age, therefore, this is a purchase for life (perhaps literally) or until technology advances to force another itch (and that would be a medical issue to be dealt with at a later time).

The selfless approach: Having another bike will allow me to share the fun of mountaing biking with family/friends that come to visit us (we have a second home in the mountains where I mostly ride spring through fall).

The redundancy approach: Because we have a second home it is more convienient to have one bike in each location rather than having to constantly move them back in forth with each trip (this is my current excuse and use for two road bikes).

My favorite: "It is better to ask forgiveness than it is permission."

The assertive approach: I still work very hard and long hours, I can afford it, and I have the room for it, therefore, if I want it I will get it no matter what others might think!

So how do you approach a new acquisition with a lesser approving spouse?

Please understand, I know this is a very 1st world problem. I would like to think I am also generous with those in need. In fact I use my bike every February to raise money to build homes for those less fortunate in Mexcio-Hey, I just remembered that one: Charity work, another justification.

'bob
Maybe you wife has a good point
Old 08-24-18, 01:36 PM
Pouhana

Bikes: Fuji Nevada 29, Trek 820, SE BIG Mountain 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
This is bull crap.

Marriage is supposed to be a complete union. Two become one. If you are not discussing things with your wife and are doing things behind her back then don't expect to be married long.

Talk it over. If you can't agree then it doesn't happen.

Ask yourself how you would feel if you didn't approve of a $3000 purchase and she did it anyway.

I'm sure others will disagree with me.

-Tim-
Her closet has twice that in shoes.
I do not recall any consultation.

Our primary hobby is sailing. 1 sail is 3,000 dollars. 16 big boats since I started sailing. All came with 2 sails and most, I added sails.

I bought 4 bikes in the past 12 months. Now the union R-E-S-P-I-C-T we think applies more to adding pets. They are expensive and a chore.

I ride a lot. She doesn't. My total cash medical expense 2017 was under 20 dollars.
Old 08-24-18, 01:44 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
every marriage is different. don't try to stuff your idea / agreements onto someone else. don't assume anyone is trying to do anything behind someone else's back. there are as many relationship agreements / styles as there are people. yours works for you, mine works for me
Old 08-24-18, 02:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
If it's not something that's significantly superior to the bikes you have, and you already have bikes that serve for the riding you do, how DO you justify buying another one? Do you first justify it to yourself, or do you just want it?

What I did might work. My bike arrived a piece at a time over a couple of weeks, so it would be like boiling a frog slowly. Then you have all the pieces, "Hey, I can build a bike with this!" I think that I showed off my configuration database first though, along with the selected "virtual bike", schedule and cost, so it's not like it was a secret. But it could have been on the QT if you stretched it out over a month or two, until it was built.

Last edited by wphamilton; 08-24-18 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 02:26 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
i build it for somebody else and send it along.
Old 08-29-18, 12:20 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Buy a bike if it will please you to do so. But first, tell your wife that she needs a new bike. Convince her and help her buy it. then, a few weeks later tell her that you have so enjoyed her riding her new bike that you might like one as well. Go on from there.

If your wife does not bicycle, tell her the health and safety advantages you will get from a new bike that you cannot currently get from the bikes you now own.

If all this fails, get rid of your least favorite bike and replace it with the new one.

Good Luck.
Old 08-29-18, 08:19 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
My last bike (CF Ridley Fenix) also cost me a two week trip to Seattle to visit the families, and especially the grandkids.

My wife considered it a fair trade.
Old 08-30-18, 10:59 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I am sort of struggling with this as we speak. I am at the point where every vehicle I own is perfect for me. My car (Fiesta ST), my motorcycle (Ducati Monster S4), my cross bike (Colnago World Cup CX, my primary bike (Guru Sidero...steel) and my back up road bike (Masi Gran Criterium S...AL w/CF fork and rear). So why the hell am I jonesin' for a Colnago V1R or a DeRosa Pininfrina or a Pinarello Dogma. What is keeping me from doing this is money and the fear that I would stop riding my Guru. And, that would break my heart.
Old 08-30-18, 12:58 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by bruce19
What is keeping me from doing this is money and the fear that I would stop riding my Guru. And, that would break my heart.
Hear, hear. I cannot add another bike and leave one sitting .... I owe it to them to ride them. They have given me so much.
Old 08-31-18, 08:26 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
I don't have to justify it to anyone else. Wife knows I'll be buying and selling bikes for at least as long as I can ride them and maintain them. She knows I wont do anything we cant afford. For a long time I added bikes by defining niche roles that each bike would fill. No two bikes were for the same type of ride. At some point I started gradually working toward a smaller number of bikes, still with different defined roles for each and with more and more overlap. If I see a new bike that does the same thing as one of my current bikes but I think will work better or fit me better, I'll buy it and sell the existing one.
So I guess the justification is 1-Do I want it? 2-Which bike will it replace and do I want it bad enough to part with that bike? 3-Can I afford it?
Old 08-31-18, 09:04 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Rudebob
…... as a materialistic human being, these justifications (some that were mentioned) will pop into my head in an effort to convince my conscious in want over need. It's the angel and devil on each shoulder scenario. …. I only posted this with the intent of it being a light hearted conversation to see if others struggle in the same way,...….. to convince us into buying more stuff.
I think many in todays world struggle with the acquisition of nice things. Things they can afford... and often afford in excess. Many people seem to feel guilt in success and/or prosperity. I think sometimes... the problem is the acquisition redundancies. People find something that makes them happy when they buy it.... and then they continue to just make the same kind/type of purchase …. over and over again.

The size of your herd may be approaching a "collection". There is nothing wrong with having more bikes than your ware-out. Or even more than you'll ride (much). I keep a bike that hangs on the wall of my man cave. I've upgraded the wall-art-bike a few times. I rarely ride the wall art... I take it down ride it and wash it from time-to-time. I like having a bike in my own little space... and I feel no guilt. I myself... have limited space... and after a long conversation with my wife decided not to expand into a collection (with a new outside building for them). I decided four (4) would fit my needs.... and yet no number of bikes would ever fit my desires. So I often find a bike I want... and buy it. Then sell-off another bike. Often the bike will be in need of a little work. So after it's enjoyed (and eventually tired of) it will be sold with some small amount of profit (or loss).
Old 08-31-18, 11:45 PM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I am constantly buying bikes to restore or refurbish - I thoroughly enjoy working on bikes as a hobby. But I have set a limit to the number of bikes I can justifiably own, and that number is four: a modern CX-style bike, a 1985 vintage race bike, a1963 3-speed, and until recently, a 29er mountain bike. Wife owns a cruiser. Even with those constraints, I have a total of six bikes right now, but three of those will disappear (one is for sale, one is designated for a grandson, and one is an experiment). In the end, I will always have three bikes that are my main rides, but I might have any number of bikes that will pass through the workshop. My wife is OK with this, since it keeps me off the streets. I guess I’d suggest keeping the stable small, but constantly work on upping the quality of what you have. Get the carbon mountain bike, but sell the other one - just keep pressing forward.
Old 09-01-18, 08:21 AM
Maelochs

Tell your wife you need a "modern bike. There is a whole thread about it.
Old 09-01-18, 08:39 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I don't have the problem of justifying another bike to my gf. She's 65, I'm 72 and we have totally separate financial lives. Just as I was about to turn 60 I saw a bike at the LBS that I thought she should by. I knew she wouldn't even bother to look at it unless I could get her into the shop. There also happened to be a beautiful Masi there that I loved. This Masi was all Dura Ace. So, I told her I wanted her to see a bike that really "spoke to me." My plan was to get her to the shop and then show her the Fuji Team Sport I thought she should buy. Did all that and she just sort of said "they're nice." And, then we went home. She to hers and me to mine. An hour later the owner of the LBS called me to say I had to come down to the shop. When I asked him why he said, "Just come down." When I got
there he gave me the Masi saying, "Your GF bought this for you for your birthday." I said, "Damn. Now I have to buy her that Fuji." Walked out with two bikes. A month later she moved in with me and we've been together ever since. Now she and I have to go out for a ride.
Old 09-02-18, 04:26 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 488 Posts
I just make sure that my wife gets her passions taken care of too. That's why she has a little convertible in the garage while mine sits outside and why I agreed to let her fly off to Santa Fe NM for an art opening this weekend.
Old 09-02-18, 05:59 PM
Maelochs

Originally Posted by davester
.... and why I agreed to let her fly off to Santa Fe NM for an art opening this weekend.
"Agree to ... ."? Shoot, i'd beg my wife to fly Anywhere for a weekend now and then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.