Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why do bicycles generally come in so few colorways?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why do bicycles generally come in so few colorways?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 07:12 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by mtbikerinpa
Look at the automotive industry. Lexus/MB/Audi etc. I never noticed until my parents lived in Singapore for a while. The Asian cultures are driven by the need to blend. If you do not blend in certain cultures you can have reprocussions. Therefore, the black car or white care are neutral and considered to be safe and empowered at the same time rather than being odd or counterculture. A great deal of our industry comes from that region so it doesn't surprise very much that it follows. However, the other trend I observed having started into the sport in the mid 90s boom of colors(GT, etc) is that when carbon fiber became popular it was also popular to leave it bare to show it off. Carbon black became a sign of development and bright became left behind. Even what wasn't carbon was painted to look like carbon in some cases(silly). In cities drab is the thing to have for obvious reason. If you are paying big bux for something, make it less of a catcher.

That said, I never stopped liking bright blues or yellows. My mtb's last paint was to look like a 2001 Gt team and it's next is going to be Mustang Grabber blue with accents. Colors are trending back slowly. The new Trek catalog(I work at a trek dealer) actually has some colors this year like 'VOLT' green and 'Radioactive' yellow.
LOTS of wisdom here. Great post!
Old 10-24-18, 07:33 AM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
Those Asians and their subdued cars...

Old 10-24-18, 10:44 AM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
I can't tell you how many customers at the bike shop where I work have turned down an otherwise acceptable bike because it's green or whatever. Boring as they are, the subdued charcoals and greys seem to be the least offensive to most buyers, simply because they don't make a statement. I do see that changing a bit lately, however. Several of the Salsa and Kona gravel bikes and the Surly Bridge Club, among others, are breaking with the monochrome strategy, with good results and strong sales. The pendulum always swings, unless it's titanium!
Old 10-24-18, 12:43 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokeage
I knew somebody had to make the comment hahaha.

I will counter with "Look good; Play good"
Even if you don't buy into that logic I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to be 100% happy with a purchase as large as this.
i agree

so

go get the girls.
Old 10-24-18, 12:50 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
It's all about inventory. If a bike shop has 2-3 brands and each one has 2-3 models, and there are at least 4 sizes, that is 16-36 bikes if you have one each. For 2 colors that doubles it. Triple that for 3 colors, etc.

With shops struggling to survive as it is, they wouldn't be able to stock more than one or two colors anyway.
Old 10-24-18, 12:52 PM
DomaneS5
Fredly Fredster

Bikes: Trek Domane S5, Trek 1.1c, Motobecane Omni Strada Comp, Trek X-Caliber 6

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts
Black or Charcoal bikes don't bother me at all. I would like to eventually get a yellow or orange bike... but I never seem to have those options when buying a new bike of any type.
Old 10-24-18, 12:53 PM
Smokeage

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JAJ830
I suspect that paintball bits and bobs are injection molded plastic where colors can be blended before molding. Different colors ould even be blended during molding. Bicycles, on the other hand, have to be finished (painted or otherwise) after the build.
Well I was specifically talking about markers which are anodized aluminum.

Originally Posted by indyfabz
So go custom if it bothers you.

(Gratuitous photo of my one-of-a-kind, custom-blended ceramic glaze finish omitted.)
Interested in the picture lol. How much is it to get a custom job done on a bike?

I'd been mulling the idea over but spending $300 to get the color I want doesn't seem very appealing and it just doesn't feel right pulling out some spray paint lol

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
That's exactly what it looks like the original owner did when they had my wife's 1987 Cannondale custom painted at the factory.
OMG. I'm sharing this in all of my paintball groups

Originally Posted by shoota
I'm assuming this is your first adult bike?

I don't think the color will matter too much because like most people that buy a hybrid it will get ridden for about a month and then hung up in the garage. I'd recommend getting a fun bike to ride (and it may come in a better color too )
Yeah this will be but I'm looking for something a little more rugged than road bikes seem to offer but I don't need to go full-MTB. I live in Houston and that means lots of "gutter cycling".
Old 10-24-18, 12:54 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
You said competitive, paintball, and sport all in the same sentence lol.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
FTW!

The quality of these sorts of threads leaves a lot to be desired these days.
​​​​​​​This is especially funny coming from a cycling forum :wink:
Old 10-24-18, 01:07 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
This is sadness. I have never bought a bike that is my first color choice. It's always been: "I hate all the available colors...which one did I dislike the least. I reckon the reason is the cost of setting up multiple colors in the factory. It's probably much much cheaper to setup to spray a 10,000 bikes all of one color. Than have 10 colors colors for 1,000 bikes each color.
Maximizing profit.

It wouldn't be so bad if the colors they picked weren't so awful. That green is everywhere and its the last color I'd get for a bike since its a trend and will forever mark your bike's era. I have no issue with selling the trendy colors as long as you always sell the basics colors as well.

Last edited by KraneXL; 10-24-18 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-24-18, 01:12 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Lowering costs... to hold price point ..
as shown , want a custom color strip the bike down and hire the job out..

Highest end of Trek's CF Race Bike frames offer a range of color options. FWIW..
Old 10-24-18, 01:15 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Why is it colorway and not livery?
Old 10-24-18, 01:16 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
reflective paint would be cool
Old 10-24-18, 01:17 PM
kuroba

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
@Smokeage If you wanna DIY there's the Spray.Bike paint which is made specifically for bikes. They're used by squid.bikes to make some really interesting paint schemes.

Old 10-24-18, 01:18 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Why is it colorway and not livery?

I actually learned this term a few years ago and now I use it whenever I can
Old 10-24-18, 01:19 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kuroba
@Smokeage If you wanna DIY there's the Spray.Bike paint which is made specifically for bikes. They're used by squid.bikes to make some really interesting paint schemes.

Oh wow, thanks! Will look into this.
Old 10-24-18, 02:04 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I'm assuming this is your first adult bike?

I don't think the color will matter too much because like most people that buy a hybrid it will get ridden for about a month and then hung up in the garage. I'd recommend getting a fun bike to ride (and it may come in a better color too )

I put about 4000 miles on my FX 3 in about 4 months. The damn thing kicks ass on the roads especially uphill, and is a blast to ride. I got my road bike about 6 weeks ago and put about 1200 miles on that, definitely faster by a little bit, but I alternate between the two. The only thing my FX 3 gets hung up on is my work stand.

All hybrids are not created equal.
Old 10-24-18, 02:48 PM
shoota 

Yeah this will be but I'm looking for something a little more rugged than road bikes seem to offer but I don't need to go full-MTB. I live in Houston and that means lots of "gutter cycling".
I would highly encourage you to look into something like a cyclocross or gravel bike then.
Old 10-24-18, 02:50 PM
shoota 

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I put about 4000 miles on my FX 3 in about 4 months. The damn thing kicks ass on the roads especially uphill, and is a blast to ride. I got my road bike about 6 weeks ago and put about 1200 miles on that, definitely faster by a little bit, but I alternate between the two. The only thing my FX 3 gets hung up on is my work stand.

All hybrids are not created equal.
That's fair. And you fall into the minority of hybrid owners by my less than scientific estimating process
Old 10-24-18, 03:39 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I'd been mulling the idea over but spending $300 to get the color I want doesn't seem very appealing and it just doesn't feel right pulling out some spray paint lol
Trek sells the FX LTD which has better colors (I like the green).
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...x-ltd/p/22103/

Salsa has been introducing new colors lately. Look at the Vaya and Journeyman. They still limit their bikes to 1 or 2 options per year though.
https://salsacycles.com/
Old 10-24-18, 04:03 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I'll be honest here.... Color is important to me. And a lot of bikes lack good color in my opinion.

And what a difference a year makes. For example, due to new technology, last years model may look fantastic but has "old" tech. And then the current year model with the new tech looks like crap. Hate it when that happens.
Old 10-24-18, 04:22 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I'll be honest here.... Color is important to me. And a lot of bikes lack good color in my opinion.

And what a difference a year makes. For example, due to new technology, last years model may look fantastic but has "old" tech. And then the current year model with the new tech looks like crap. Hate it when that happens.
A gross understatement from my view. I don't think I've ever seen a bike and was dazzled by its paint scheme. At best, I'd rate it at not offensive.
Old 10-24-18, 07:59 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
IMHO, Scott and Specialized have the best color schemes. But, they change every year so it's a crap shoot.

2 samples here that I like...

Old 10-24-18, 08:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Oh wow, thanks! Will look into this.
I helped a teenager do this to an old Centurion Ironman frame as part of an update build using the spray.bike products.
you can be as subdued or as wild as you want with all the colors, fades, and sparkle coats available.
Old 10-24-18, 08:14 PM
Smokeage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would highly encourage you to look into something like a cyclocross or gravel bike then.
I'm really trying to keep the bike costs under $1,000 so that I will still be able to afford some other things I need to buy for my kit. I haven't really seen any options in this department under ~$1,200 but if there's something I overlooked I'd be open to looking into it.

Originally Posted by katsup
Trek sells the FX LTD which has better colors (I like the green).
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...x-ltd/p/22103/

Salsa has been introducing new colors lately. Look at the Vaya and Journeyman. They still limit their bikes to 1 or 2 options per year though.
https://salsacycles.com/
The LTD was actually my first pick but they don't have it in my size anywhere that I can find sadly.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I helped a teenager do this to an old Centurion Ironman frame as part of an update build using the spray.bike products.
you can be as subdued or as wild as you want with all the colors, fades, and sparkle coats available.
Very nice work!
Old 10-24-18, 08:19 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Ogsarg
It's all about inventory. If a bike shop has 2-3 brands and each one has 2-3 models, and there are at least 4 sizes, that is 16-36 bikes if you have one each. For 2 colors that doubles it. Triple that for 3 colors, etc.

With shops struggling to survive as it is, they wouldn't be able to stock more than one or two colors anyway.

Looking at something like the Specialized Sirrus line, the shop only need stock a few models, as the frame geometry will be the same.

We just need Specialized to have more colours that the shop can order in for someone who has done a test ride on a black Sirrus and feels that a Sirrus works for them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.