Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

How I Use The NYC Metrocard and Bike

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 10-07-18, 10:33 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Bikes: FM-296 Road Bike, Surly LHT, Superb Sprint

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

Hey everyone. I thought I'd share my hack on how to use the NYC Metrocard and bicycle. It speeds things up a bit for me during commutes. I'm always on my bicycle so for this video I wanted to try and combine the two. No Uber or Taxi needed lol. Enjoy!

Old 10-07-18, 03:01 PM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 620 Times in 367 Posts
The F train runs to LI now? Also It would be good to mention to those not familiar with NYC that while bringing bikes onto the subway is legal, it's probably not a good idea on certain lines during rush hour or other peak times. Is this covered in the e book?
Old 10-08-18, 06:16 PM
wayne310

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a bike so i never have to use MTA again..horrible horrible organisation..i got stuck in train middle of tunnel for 45 mins on a friday night and thats the night i decided i am done with subway

i love biking in nyc and can go in any corner of city on a bike as distances arent much.

look into new east river ferry services...they are bike friendly and can help u get across

screw commuting like a rat underground
Old 10-08-18, 06:41 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
The SF version of this is to use BART (our local commuter rail system) for getting across the bay with your bike. They've gradually been improving access. Initially it was banned during rush commute times and restricted to the last car only. That last rule was scrapped after women were advised to avoid the last few train cars later at night for safety considerations. And recently they dropped the ban during peak commute times although there's still a general rule not to board already crowded train cars with a bicycle. They're also rolling out new train cars with improved rack space for bikes.
Old 10-13-18, 10:05 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
F train goes to Jamaica Queens.

You can change to the E train (or get off the F train two stops short of the end at Sutphin and walk a couple blocks south past Jamaica Ave to the LIRR station and catch a commuter train (time tables and rate cards) to Hempstead. Or the Air train to JFK (for $5).

Or you can ride east. Riding from Jamaica (last stop in Subway land) to Hempstead is about 9 miles, with a few routes to choose from.

My per[s]onal experience is that the F train from Midtown (say Rockefeller 50th and 6th ave) to last top in queens at 179th st and Hillside takes about 40-45 minutes. I ride from 50th and Park to 179th and Hillside in about..... 40-45 minutes. (Google says this ride takes 1h 20m. Granted I am...lets say less intimidated by traffic... than most, and I'm not noodling along a citi bike taking my time).

When I lived in Brooklyn (Myrtle and Broadway) the J train to the 6 train took about 35 minutes to midtown. I did the same on my bike in about....35 minutes.

I think for most people, OP is giving pretty good advice and expectations.

Last edited by nycphotography; 10-15-18 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-14-18, 08:47 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11952 Post(s)
Liked 6,599 Times in 3,465 Posts
Moved to Commuting from Road. Will probably get more hits there.
Old 10-14-18, 09:35 AM
jnb22019

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My point of commuting by bike is so I don't have to ride the subway.

For my commute both take about the same time, an hour or so, and I prefer the bike.

I agree with not taking a bike on the train during rush hour, I hate when others do it, the trains are usually packed enough that adding a bicycle is a pain in the a.

If you're going very far, then the video is indeed helpful but for shorter rides I wouldn't bother.
Old 10-14-18, 07:31 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
I've been mostly biking instead of the subway, to the point where I regret that I have to take a train due to weather on occasion, or sometimes after work events. It takes slightly longer by bike than train but it is well worth it. I only take the bike on the train on weekends, and then only if I've overdone it on a long ride and I don't want to ride the streets home in Brooklyn. My commute is 10 miles each way, and bike lanes most of the way too. I go through Prospect Park both directions, and the Manhattan Bridge. It is a nice ride mostly and I get a good workout.
Old 10-15-18, 04:38 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
For the past four years my commute from Hoboken to Coney Isl. requires me to use the PATH or ferry to get across the Hudson.
On nice weather days, I can ride across the GWB which about doubles the distance.
On worse weather days I take my folding bike onto the B or Q and get off once in nicer area in Brooklyn to avoid crazy drivers.
I avoid rush hours on the subway, either get to work early to leave early or get to work mid-day and stay late.

Last edited by cat0020; 10-15-18 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 04:16 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hey everyone. I thought I'd share my hack on how to use the NYC Metrocard and bicycle. It speeds things up a bit for me during commutes. I'm always on my bicycle so for this video I wanted to try and combine the two. No Uber or Taxi needed lol. Enjoy!

Nice! I've subscribed. I love that you have a video on using olive oil as chain lube.
Old 10-15-18, 04:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Good video. But you skipped the part of lifting your bike over the turnstile. I can do it, but it's not easy, especially for women.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 10-15-18, 08:06 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
Good video. But you skipped the part of lifting your bike over the turnstile. I can do it, but it's not easy, especially for women.
You don't lift your bike at the turnstiles.

you tap on the station agent glass and point at the bike.. then you swipe, and advance the turnstile empty... then they buzz you in thru the exit door beside the turnstiles.

You also exit thru a similar exit door.

It helps to know how to avoid the "card only" entrances with the round turnstiles for your given stations.

Now for the bad news.... you still have to schlep your bike up and down the stairs once you're thru the turnstile.
Old 10-16-18, 05:27 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Luckily, I am slim enough and my folding bike is small enough to walk through the turnstile together.

I do wish they make a rear fender small enough that I can roll the bike down the stairs upright by the rear wheel; with both hands holding the grips of handlebar and not have to carry the bike with my shoulder to go down steps.

Last edited by cat0020; 10-16-18 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-16-18, 07:21 AM
ds3000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Controversial viewpoint there, mate.
Old 10-16-18, 12:39 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,416 Times in 2,525 Posts
Multi-modal is a 'hack'?

A lot of the other vids on that channel look more interesting.

(Am I the only one that wanted to see that ogre ride down the stairs?)
Old 11-14-18, 05:03 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by nycphotography

you tap on the station agent glass and point at the bike.. then you swipe, and advance the turnstile empty... then they buzz you in thru the exit door beside the turnstiles.

It helps to know how to avoid the "card only" entrances with the round turnstiles for your given stations.

Now for the bad news.... you still have to schlep your bike up and down the stairs once you're thru the turnstile.

Haha yeah this actually works too. Nice one.
Old 11-14-18, 05:04 AM
biketocamp
Banned.

Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
Nice! I've subscribed. I love that you have a video on using olive oil as chain lube.
Thanks! haha yeah you know I do that when I'm out or low on chain lube. Works wonders.
Old 11-16-18, 05:56 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by biketocamp
Hey everyone. I thought I'd share my hack on how to use the NYC Metrocard and bicycle. It speeds things up a bit for me during commutes….
Originally Posted by wayne310
i bought a bike so i never have to use MTA again..horrible horrible organisation
Originally Posted by prathmann
The SF version of this is to use BART (our local commuter rail system) for getting across the bay with your bike. They've gradually been improving access. Initially it was banned during rush commute times and restricted to the last car only...

And recently they dropped the ban during peak commute times although there's still a general rule not to board already crowded train cars with a bicycle. They're also rolling out new train cars with improved rack space for bikes.
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Multi-modal is a 'hack'?...
Of course, as a resident of NYC’s rival Northeast Metropolis, I just had to post about our "beloved" MBTA
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Welcome to Boston and environs; I love riding in and around this town. …On a happier note, the Transportation Authority (MBTA) allows bikes on subways and commuter trains with certain restrictions and that's a nice way to get out of town without city riding. MBTA > Riding the T > Bikes on the T
Since I have excellent Commuter Rail as an alternative commute, even on which to take my bike, I have frankly disdained busses, which are more accesible and frequent on my routes.

Last week I did take a bus with my bike, and was pleased with the service, and carrying capacity, so now that looks like a primary emergency measure.
I still haven't used the MBTA ferry to get across Boston Harbor to the scenic South Shore.
Old 11-17-18, 10:32 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

Or you can ride east. Riding from Jamaica (last stop in Subway land) to Hempstead is about 9 miles, with a few routes to choose from.

OP is giving pretty good advice and expectations.
I thought the OP was going to Penn station and take the LIRR. The cost would have been $8.75. I use this form of multi-mode travel all the time but only for enjoyment. I would take the F Train to Jamica with my bike and ride to Coney Island just for kicks.

With a bike, you can cut the cost of MetroNorth and the LIRR a lot by using the Metocard and an bike.
Old 11-17-18, 11:21 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
if a rider has to take the train a lot; I,dsuggest to get a folding bike.
Here I'm getting on the train(NY/NJ Path) and a standing room only bus(NJ Transit):
Old 11-18-18, 04:44 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann
The SF version of this is to use BART (our local commuter rail system) for getting across the bay with your bike. They've gradually been improving access. Initially it was banned during rush commute times and restricted to the last car only. That last rule was scrapped after women were advised to avoid the last few train cars later at night for safety considerations. And recently they dropped the ban during peak commute times although there's still a general rule not to board already crowded train cars with a bicycle. They're also rolling out new train cars with improved rack space for bikes.
Tell them I said its about time they got with the program.

What no handicapped entry/exist? You people have got to get with the times.
Old 11-18-18, 08:29 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
if a rider has to take the train a lot; I,dsuggest to get a folding bike.
Here I'm getting on the train(NY/NJ Path) and a standing room only bus(NJ Transit):
Since SEP 2013, I've been commuting on the PATH at least 3 times a week with my folding bike.
I catch the PATH train between 6 and 6:30 AM before the rush, returning home I get on the PATH before 4PM or after 6:30PM.
Most or all of the time I don't bother folding my bike, there is plenty of room to sit when I ride the PATH train.
I think the folded up bike takes up more room than me sitting on the bike with lowered seat.
Even when the train is crowded, I'm more stable sitting on the bike than standing and taking up a post spot on the pole for standing passenger.
BTW, the PATH train ride is such a joke compare to commuter rails on the west coast or even China.
Trains are slow, inconsistent in service, bumpy jerky & noisy rides.
If you get on or off at the end stations, you are likely to get permanent hearing damage every time the train comes to a stop at the station.
For $2.75 each ride, it's such a ripoff, but besides ferries, there is no other alternative for bicycle rider to get across the Hudson without adding 6-10 miles to the commute.
Such BS.
Old 11-18-18, 10:49 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by cat0020
Since SEP 2013, I've been commuting on the PATH at least 3 times a week with my folding bike.
I catch the PATH train between 6 and 6:30 AM before the rush, returning home I get on the PATH before 4PM or after 6:30PM.
Most or all of the time I don't bother folding my bike, there is plenty of room to sit when I ride the PATH train.
I think the folded up bike takes up more room than me sitting on the bike with lowered seat.
Even when the train is crowded, I'm more stable sitting on the bike than standing and taking up a post spot on the pole for standing passenger.
BTW, the PATH train ride is such a joke compare to commuter rails on the west coast or even China.
Trains are slow, inconsistent in service, bumpy jerky & noisy rides.
If you get on or off at the end stations, you are likely to get permanent hearing damage every time the train comes to a stop at the station.
For $2.75 each ride, it's such a ripoff, but besides ferries, there is no other alternative for bicycle rider to get across the Hudson without adding 6-10 miles to the commute.
Such BS.
+100000000000000

I've been taking the Path train for over 20 years and it's the reason I take an express bus into Manhattan each day going into the city. The situation has actually gotten worse over the years as tremendous growth of downtown Jersey City created a sardine can experience. There are so many hi-rise buildings going up in Journal Square, Harrison and Hoboken and guess where all of these people are going to go? PATH! You better get used to it because it's going to get a lot worse in the future.

Too bad New York Waterway cost 3 times the price of Path.
Likes For Dahon.Steve:
Old 11-18-18, 11:34 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Dahon.Steve
+100000000000000

I've been taking the Path train for over 20 years and it's the reason I take an express bus into Manhattan each day going into the city. The situation has actually gotten worse over the years as tremendous growth of downtown Jersey City created a sardine can experience. There are so many hi-rise buildings going up in Journal Square, Harrison and Hoboken and guess where all of these people are going to go? PATH! You better get used to it because it's going to get a lot worse in the future.

Too bad New York Waterway cost 3 times the price of Path.
You'd think that after a century of growth without planning for the future we'd no better by now. But apparently money still talks.
Old 11-19-18, 05:12 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Good video. But you skipped the part of lifting your bike over the turnstile. I can do it, but it's not easy, especially for women

Originally Posted by KraneXL
Tell them I said its about time they got with the program.

What no handicapped entry/exist? You people have got to get with the time
s

Of course, as a resident of NYC’s rival Northeast Metropolis, I just had to post about our "beloved" MBTA
Sliding gates:

and escalators and elevators.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.