Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

The older I get the less I care

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

The older I get the less I care

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-18, 02:41 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,985 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Priorities is about your final destiny (end goal in life) as Ralph Waldo Emerson once wrote:

"Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."

So yes, you "should" care.
That’s a great quote.

With age, I’ve learned to place a higher emphasis on opinions from those who know me and who’s opinion I respect. Others not so much.

Old 12-25-18, 07:22 PM
shrtdstncrdr

Bikes: Trek Millennia, Trek 400, Raleigh Superbe, Giant OCR3, Bianchi Milano

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 62 Times in 41 Posts
I think this thread has been great. Although it started with a specious troll post, funny I might add (I did I did) and relatively pointless. I guess I... don't care what you don't care about. Take that as you will, I don't care.
Old 12-25-18, 08:26 PM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
It brings to my mind the word "indifference".

Three Dog Night: Easy To Be Hard

"Easy To Be Hard"

How can people be so heartless
How can people be so cruel
Easy to be hard
Easy to be cold

How can people have no feelings
How can they ignore their friends
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

Especially people who care about strangers
Who care about evil and social injustice
Do you only care about the bleeding crowd
How about a needy friend
I need a friend

You know I'm hung up on you
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no

Especially people who care about strangers
Who care about evil and social injustice
Do you only care about the bleeding crowd
How about a needy friend
We all need a friend

How can people be so cruel
Easy to be proud
Easy to say no
Easy to be cold
Easy to say no
Come on, easy to be mean
Easy to say no
Easy to be cold
Easy to say no
Much too easy to say no
Old 12-25-18, 08:44 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
The Hondo Walmart is where I realized as I get older the less I care
Old 12-25-18, 11:32 PM
Jon T

Bikes: '84 Peugeot PH10LE

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 39 Posts
So, OP. You're pushing 51??!!?? Hell, half the time I can't remember 51, not that I'd want to any way. Yes, as I age (64) I find there is a helluva lot less I care about. I've been down the road where I had to have all the toys, a new truck every 2 years, one more rifle, etc., etc. I'm at the point now where the "things" don't matter any more, I march to my own drummer. In fact I need to get rid of a bunch of excrement, i.e. "stuff". The only thing that really matters to me any more is to keep my health, live long enough to retire (2 more years) and then live long enough to enjoy it. Yes, "less" really is "more".
Jon
Old 12-26-18, 04:35 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 504 Posts

Sums things up for me in a melodious way. DAMN, woke up again after typical 3 hours of sleep, now I have to fill my day. Very fortunate not to be where so many others are and chuckle when hearing/reading about "mountains made out of molehills." Cared about "stupid-unimportant things" when younger but that was part and parcel of that time frame. Having a different outlook on remaining life and being dead requires my extraction of every drop of nectar while the machinery is capable with the off button pushed at the appropriate time. To languish is unacceptable due to my dislike of rust.

DLF > DNF >> DNS
Dead Last Finish > Did Not Finish >> Did Not Start
an attempt made even if unsuccessful might just have a positive outcome
Old 12-26-18, 06:34 AM
RobertKelley

Bikes: Trek Valencia

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 55 and I really wish that my view on life today was my view on life 20 years ago (which is a total self-defeating thought).

We are all given a finite number of minutes on this rock. I refuse to waste mine on anything negative that I can avoid. That includes anger, hate, and depression. I find joy in the process of staying healthy (it's a job too) and in bringing a little joy to other's lives whenever possible. That may be as simple as a "good morning" and a smile.

I do find myself less tolerant of what I consider stupidity.
Old 12-26-18, 01:09 PM
Hondo Gravel
Life Feeds On Life

Bikes: Too many Motobecanes

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 4418 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 3,028 Posts
Yup I got me a 2016 Ram 4x4 4 door firebreathing 5.7 hemi and was fortunate enough to pay in full so NO Payments! Probably be my ride for the next 20 years or more. Many people around here have to have a new truck every two years and I simple don’t care. I will be going to Walmart in a few hours to get the after Xmas bargains and I will go to the cashier girl with green hair and the Slayer T-shirt that scares the old ladies because I like Slayer and I just don’t care. Kids driving in the parking lot with the boom boom boom rap music I just don’t care. I don’t road rage or get in a hurry because I don’t care. Took me forever to be debt free I will not go into debt for materialistic stuff because I just don’t care. If you are cool to me I will be cool to you no matter what. I don’t care
Old 12-26-18, 01:56 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo Gravel
... I don’t road rage or get in a hurry because I don’t care. Took me forever to be debt free I will not go into debt for materialistic stuff because I just don’t care. If you are cool to me I will be cool to you no matter what. I don’t care
I have never cared about being materialistic or keeping up with anyone. No possession can ever bring you as much happiness as financial freedom.

I am with you on the driving thing, as well. I have never been an aggressive or road raging driver, and I am perfectly content to back off, change lanes, or otherwise defuse any situation that could escalate. On a time-critical trip I always try to leave early to avoid time pressure and the last-minute rush.

What I do care about:

I care passionately about family. My wife, who has been my college sweetheart for 50 years, and I celebrated our 45th wedding anniversary 6 months ago. We have two fine young adult sons, a lovely and intelligent daughter-in-law and future daughter-in-law, and two little grandsons, aged 1-1/2 and almost 4.

I care passionately about my health and my wife's. Fortunately, we are pretty well-aligned in our dietary preferences, which simplifies maintaining a healthful lifestyle. She has her ballet classes, I have my bicycling, and we both exercise at the YMCA and do a lot of walking.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-26-18, 06:44 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
The wife got me a shirt for Christmas that says "99% chance that I don't care".
Old 12-26-18, 06:47 PM
grayEZrider

Bikes: '13 Specialized Elite, KHS 223, '94 Trek 2120, 92 Raleigh technium, '87 Centurion LeMans, '86 Centurion IronMan, 2019 Canyon Endurace Al

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 36 Posts

Retired four years ago and the less I care about most things the happier I get. Lawn care??? Drudge time. And every time I see the mower I think of the bike I could have bought instead. But some things (at 68) you do care even more about. Spent (two nice carbon bikes worth!) a lot on my two dogs this year but don't want to imagine life without them. 70 years happily married ( OK, 35 for her and 35 for me), and debt free is the way to be. I even carry a new business card: "Retired Workaholic". And a workshop. Love it.
Old 12-27-18, 06:52 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
"Are you ignorant or apathetic?"

"I don't know and I don't care."
Likes For ironwood:
Old 12-27-18, 08:24 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by RobertKelley
I do find myself less tolerant of what I consider stupidity.
I used to denigrate ignorance and stupidity. Then I realized everybody is ignorant and/or stupid about something, and if it weren't for others' ignorance about the things I understand, I wouldn't have a job.

The problem arises when ignorance meets arrogance.

Old 12-27-18, 08:41 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
The people that type multi paragraph responses to a post, especially from this guy.........
Old 12-27-18, 10:22 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Not sure I agree about ignorance vs stupid. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge on some subject. Stupid, though not a polite term, refers to innate intelligence. Ignorance can be corrected.
Old 12-27-18, 11:38 AM
RobertKelley

Bikes: Trek Valencia

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
I used to denigrate ignorance and stupidity. Then I realized everybody is ignorant and/or stupid about something, and if it weren't for others' ignorance about the things I understand, I wouldn't have a job.

The problem arises when ignorance meets arrogance.

Stupidity-"behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment. "
Old 12-27-18, 12:28 PM
JLDickmon
dollar-store reject

Bikes: one big fat wad of classic Cannondale mtb's

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 21 Posts
OOOOOOOoooooooooookay........ NOW I get it..
Yep them WalMarts man you got them fatchicks with threeteeth in them electricscooters pickinout them taterchips and LoneStar... makes it look really sad, man..
Old 12-27-18, 12:34 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Not sure I agree about ignorance vs stupid. Ignorance is a lack of knowledge on some subject. Stupid, though not a polite term, refers to innate intelligence. Ignorance can be corrected.
Of course they are not the same thing. But the point is that both offer opportunity for others. There are those who don't have the inclination or mental horsepower for my job, and that is why I can make a living at it. And of course, things I don't have the mental horsepower or capacity for, so I pay others to do it for me (e.g. I don't have the mental horsepower to be a neurosurgeon, inclination to be an accountant or physical gifts to work well assembling or building things, so I pay others to do it).

That was an epiphany for me ... things that are otherwise derided as universally bad have a purpose or benefit.

Old 12-27-18, 05:59 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
I don't care that I don't care, and I am good with it. Like the song says "Go where you want to go, do what you want to do..." It is good to be free.
Old 12-28-18, 11:37 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
I assume that the OP doesn't mean that he is in a complete state of apathy. I also assume that he continues to take an interest in the things that stimulate and satisfy him, but that many thing no longer hold an interest for him. This, I believe, is normal as a person ages. An older person better knows himself/herself (at least one hopes so) for having lived life and gained experience. The modern world is full of nonsense and time-wasting activities that one can see really do not matter in living a fulfilling life. Age helps us to sort out the things worth caring about from the things not worth caring about. In order to live life as much as one can (an admirable goal in my book) one must know oneself. Age helps clarify our thoughts and emotions.
Old 12-28-18, 11:57 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by Garfield Cat
Three Dog Night: Easy To Be Hard
Cover of a song written for the musical "Hair."
Old 12-28-18, 12:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Always fun to peruse:

People Of Walmart - Funny Pictures of People Shopping at Walmart : People Of Walmart
Old 12-31-18, 12:14 PM
headasunder

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
One of life's great lessons is learning not to care, at 50 your a little late to the party but at least that lessons out of the way....next
Old 12-31-18, 02:01 PM
jefscolnago

Bikes: Colnago, Seven, Campy equipped, tubies

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Pushing 51 and I have noticed that as time passes by the less I care. Is this normal when being 50+? I’m a newbie so any insight will be helpful.
You consider 51 in any way old? Gimme a break!
Old 12-31-18, 02:23 PM
CreakingCrank

Bikes: Two. One daily rider. One with detachment issues.

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to not care about what people think about me. Now I realize nobody was thinking about me in the first place.
Likes For CreakingCrank:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.