Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Sunpost SP12 NCX vs. Thudbuster seatpost

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-18, 07:29 PM
enargins

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was looking to buy a Sunpost SP12 NCX seatpost. But then I found out you're supposed to take it apart, degrease it, apply new grease to the coil, and lubricate the joints every 300 miles!! That's too much work for me! LOL

Does anyone do that? I pictured buying this and just using it forever, not having to take it apart and clean it and degrease it every 300 miles. Is that something that's actually done?

Also considering the Thudbuster, which seems a lot better, maintenance-wise. According to the Thudbuster manual, the only maintenance required is:

1. The pivot washers should occasionally be lubricated with a light oil.

2. The skewer and elastomers must be lubricated periodically with grease. Apply grease to the shaft of the skewer and to the
ends of the elastomers.

That seems a lot saner to me! LOL

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions about these products, as well as whether maintenance is actually done, and how often.

Suntour manual (maintenance on p. 5) https://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/fil...AL_2012_EN.pdf

Thudbuster instructions (maintenance on p. 2): https://www.canecreek.com/wp-content/...11-2013-v2.pdf

Thanks!
Old 09-11-18, 08:52 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 813 Times in 614 Posts
I've had a Thudbuster for 5+ (can't remember when I purchased it, maybe 10+) years. I lubricate the "shaft" once every year or two to prevent it from seizing in the seat tube, but that's the only maintenance it's received and it still functions well.
Old 09-11-18, 09:27 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I've had a Thudbuster for 5+ (can't remember when I purchased it, maybe 10+) years. I lubricate the "shaft" once every year or two to prevent it from seizing in the seat tube, but that's the only maintenance it's received and it still functions well.
That's great to know. Thanks! Someone in another forum said that he had to replace the things inside his Thudbuster because exposure to sunlight made them hard. Maybe he left his bike outside a lot, I don't know. Have you ever experienced that?
Old 09-11-18, 11:47 PM
2old

No, but the only time my bike is outside is when I'm riding it and my big fat, well you know the sun don't shine down there.
Old 09-13-18, 04:58 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by enargins
That's great to know. Thanks! Someone in another forum said that he had to replace the things inside his Thudbuster because exposure to sunlight made them hard. Maybe he left his bike outside a lot, I don't know. Have you ever experienced that?
He's talking about the elastomers, I believe. Changing them is a piece of cake even for the mechanically challenged. As a matter of fact, they make several different hardness's (?) of them to suit your needs, and some people change them out depending on today's ride. They also make the post in a long throw and a short throw post, again, to suit your needs.

I've never personally owned one, but I've seen/talked to dozens of people who have. If you want more feedback, search the tandem forum for them. Lots of people using them there. Every third tandem in captivity has some king of suspension seat post for the stoker, (rear seat rider), as they can't see the bumps coming.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike
Old 09-13-18, 08:22 AM
2old

For me, I installed the stiffest elastomer and have never needed to make any changes. Of course, I retained the other elastomers as replacements.
Old 09-13-18, 09:14 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
If you haven't tried the Bodyfloat seatpost or I think they call it Kineckt now it is quite nice. I was all in on the Thudbuster because I love Cane Creek and am in fact for full disclosure wearing a CC t-shirt but when I tried the BodyFloat I had to say it was way better and I was intentionally ramming potholes and rough roads (especially since it was the bossman's bike and I wanted to be rough)
Old 09-13-18, 09:27 PM
enargins

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
If you haven't tried the Bodyfloat seatpost or I think they call it Kineckt now it is quite nice. I was all in on the Thudbuster because I love Cane Creek and am in fact for full disclosure wearing a CC t-shirt but when I tried the BodyFloat I had to say it was way better and I was intentionally ramming potholes and rough roads (especially since it was the bossman's bike and I wanted to be rough)
Have you ever tried the SP12 NCX? If so, how does the BodyFloat compare with that one?
Old 09-13-18, 09:48 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by enargins
Have you ever tried the SP12 NCX? If so, how does the BodyFloat compare with that one?
Have seen them live and in person but haven't ridden one. I wasn't a fan of the design and looks and the weight turned me off quickly. Then again most SR-Suntour doesn't really do much for me as it is a name that meant something and now is mostly known for their lower end OEM spec and getting confused with Madea Corporation. Certainly though the SR design is better than those garbage hiideous telescoping suspension seatposts. I do remember actually seeing one recently and for a second thought Thudbuster and then in the next second was like really bad forgery and then saw the logo and was like oh right they make one of those.

The reason Bodyfloat is so much better is it is less suspension and more about isolation. So instead of moving you up and down the goal is to isolate you from the bumps and vibrations. I am sure other folks can provide much better explanation of it then I but after riding one I fell in love right away and certainly reading reviews they all seem to be rather positive which is good because when I first saw the product I was not really into it. A Kickstarter that I felt looked goofy and weighed a lot more than my beloved Thomson post but now I am a believer and owner. Though I am still not wholly in on the looks but I am a professional and will rise above it.
Old 09-19-18, 12:15 PM
powell

Bikes: E+ kit, BIONX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
I am riding on Thudbuster LT long travel and it is pleasure,
they retail for so much for the reason = performance,
Old 01-25-19, 07:33 AM
Ky_Rider

Bikes: Trek Verve Ebike and Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The kinekt body float is great on the road with small bumps. At my weight the body float doesn't have much travel though. It's great for isolation from vibrations. I purchased a thudbuster lt for the trails though. I weigh about 220 lbs and the stiffest spring is about bottomed out when I'm sitting on the kinekt. I wish they had a stiffer spring. This one feels too soft.
Old 01-25-19, 10:44 AM
2old

Originally Posted by Ky_Rider
The kinekt body float is great on the road with small bumps. At my weight the body float doesn't have much travel though. It's great for isolation from vibrations. I purchased a thudbuster lt for the trails though. I weigh about 220 lbs and the stiffest spring is about bottomed out when I'm sitting on the kinekt. I wish they had a stiffer spring. This one feels too soft.
I have a Body Float (which I don't like as much as my Thudbuster) and it has several combinations of elastomers. Is yours inadequate with the stiffest combination? BTW, seems like the camps are separated on BF & TB since I've met individuals on both sides.
Old 01-25-19, 12:54 PM
Ky_Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Body Float (which I don't like as much as my Thudbuster) and it has several combinations of elastomers. Is yours inadequate with the stiffest combination? BTW, seems like the camps are separated on BF & TB since I've met individuals on both sides.
It's adequate as long as the road isn't too bad. I have the stiffest springs installed and can easily bottom them out. When I'm pedaling it does a good job of isolating my rear from the road but when I sit straight up and my full weight is on the seat post it's almost bottomed out. Overall I'm pleased with the Kinekt. Maybe I just need to lose a few pounds.
I just installed a Thudbuster on my mtb. I didn't feel like the Kinekt Body Float would have enough travel for off road. I have to do some more testing on the Thudbuster.
Both seat posts are good products imho.
Old 01-25-19, 01:08 PM
Ky_Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm kinda leaning towards liking the Thudbuster better as well. It's doesn't appear to have a harsh bottom out like the Kinekt Body Float. Some more testing is needed though.
Old 01-26-19, 04:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Cool Lt & st

Put the "thud Glove" on if you expect a lot if Dirt riding its a neoprene cover (of course imprinted with the product Logo)..

both bikes oversize seat tube, machined aluminum sizing shim 27.2mm seat post..

Last edited by fietsbob; 01-26-19 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-23-19, 01:01 PM
FlatSix911

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I have used the Satori Animaris and think it is a great value for the money.
A Full parallel link suspension with adjustable spring damping for $59.

https://www.amazon.com/Satori-Animar...ateway&sr=8-26